Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 81811 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
I was originally going to do a completely different theme for this roulette, but considering the tragic loss of Neil Peart recently and to honor my favorite band, Rush, and favorite drummer, I thought I would do a Rush themed roulette.

RULES
- No, you do not need any prior knowledge of Rush to participate
- There will be themes (don’t worry they will be broad in scope)
- Open to everyone
- No limits to how many can join
- 10 Rounds
- Songs rated on a 1-10 scale. And I will use the full scale. If your submission really sucks, you may find yourself getting somewhere in the 1-4 range. I may use quarter/half points at my discretion
- Submissions – Please PM submissions. I would very much prefer if songs that are submitted are available on Google play music (since I have a subscription to that and use it the most) or files (320kbps mp3 or FLAC). I will also accept Spotify or YouTube links as a last resort, but this is not preferred, and I may just conjure up those songs through black -
   magic... I listen to most of my music while I am driving for work through Google play music and would prefer to put all submissions in a playlist on my Google Music App.
- No eliminations until right before the final round (maybe). The Parama Rule 6 may come into play if I hate your submission enough
- Artists scoring at least a 7/10 will be banned for the rest of the roulette, unless you ask to reserve that particular artist once songs are revealed each round. In that case you are obligated to use that artist regardless of what score it gets. Let's call this the TAC Rule
- I will also accept the same artist/song in any given round from multiple people. Let’s call this the 2nd TAC Rule
- I reserve the right to reject any submission as I’m sure I have forgotten something that should be on my banned list. Therefore, my banned list may change. Be aware of that. I tried to make it as thorough as possible, but things get missed.
- No time limit for submitted songs, but be reasonable
- If you are confused by anything, just ask

The Rounds
1-9. Submit 2 songs based on the round theme (You may send 2 songs from the same artist)
10. Make a concept EP (because why not...they are fun)

Now you may be wondering about the themes. This is a Rush themed roulette afterall. So here is how this will work. Each round is going to be based on 2 Rush albums. You will then decide on 5 options for your songs.

1. You can base your songs on the musical style of both the albums in question (you can do this with 1 song based on one album and the 2nd song based on the other, or an amalgamation of both albums). This can be very loosely based. I’m sure you can find correlating styles between Rush and just about any music genre out there.
      2. You can base your songs on the lyrical content of both albums or specific songs on those albums
      3. You can send songs that have the same name as a song on the albums in question or the same as the album name
      4. Everyone will start the roulette with 1 Free Choice card. Meaning you can ignore the theme for one round and send anything you want. However, you are free to purchase more Free Choice cards during the roulette. All it will cost you is 1 point off your score for the round you purchase it for.
      5. Everyone will also start with 1 Free Interpretation card. This means you can base your song choice solely on my made up theme names. Same rules apply as the Free Choice Card.

You can pick any one of those options at any time and you don’t have to use all of them over the course of the roulette. Just whatever you are comfortable with. Some of you that aren’t very familiar with Rush may have to do some lyric reading if you want to use option 2, or perhaps listen to one of the greatest bands to ever walk the face of the Earth to use option 1. I'm not going to be too much of a stickler about the themes as long as you have some reason for pairing the songs you pick with the theme.

The Themes

Round 1. Flying Angels (Fly By Night | Clockwork Angels)
                     Fly By Night and Clockwork Angels always fills me with a sense of adventure and self-discovery. Fly By Night is Rush finding their feet, learning to deal with the constant touring that they were doing at the time,
                     being on the road away from families, meeting new people. They also started dabbling in more Fantasy oriented stories (By-Tor and the Snowdog). Clockwork Angels is the band coming almost full circle with the
                     fantasy elements with an entire Steampunk concept album, but at the same time a lot of the lyrics have to do with looking back at the lives that the band had lived, what they have learned, and not having any regrets.

Round 2. Caressing Snakes & Steel Arrows (Caress of Steel | Snakes & Arrows)
                     Caress of Steel saw Rush not only branching out in to Prog Epics, but also writing lyrics that (at the time) were about things important to them. Even in the epics there seem to be analogies to things that the band
                     and Neil specifically held dear to themselves. There is also a bit more humor sprinkled in with I Think I'm going bald. The album as a whole is sort of inconsistent song writing-wise, but I think it gets more of a bad rap than it deserves.
                     Snakes and Arrows is another inconsistent album as far as song writing is concerned, but for different reasons. They aren't a young band anymore trying to find their way. At this point in their careers they were
                     writing exactly what they wanted to, but the problem is some of it just didn't speak to me personally. On the other hand this album seemed like a start to the return of a conceptual album (although not exactly).
                     That was fully realized on the follow up, Clockwork Angels. The two things these albums ultimately have in common for me, is the inconsistent song writing and the use of a lot of comparisons/metaphors/analogies/similes/etc
                     in the lyrics.

Round 3. The Chem Trails, Man! (2112 | Vapor Trails)
                     2112 was where Rush really came in to their own. Throwing caution to the wind they again did what they wanted, consequences be damned and knocked it out of the park. This is where they finally wrote a truly
                     cohesive prog epic and were basically afforded the opportunity to do whatever they wanted in the future. This album was my first true exposure to prog rock epics or really any song over the 10 minute mark. I think
                     I was 7 or 8 when I first heard this album. It left a lasting effect on me and between this and the other 2 Rush album I had at the time it lead me down the road to way more music than I ever knew existed. Vapor Trails
                     on the other hand was Rush re-emerging from a hiatus brought on by tragedy. To this day I still look back with fondness in 2002 of picking up this new Rush album and immediately popping it in to my CD player in my
                     car. Rush was back! And more explosive and heavy than they ever had been in the past. Just the opening double bass kicks of the opening track got me going. Now the production of the original album left a lot to be
                     desired, but the remix is where it's at for me. I still love this album. It sounds like nothing else in the Rush discography.

Round 4. A Farewell to Echo (A Farewell to Kings | Test for Echo)
                     A Farewell to Kings always seemed like Rush's most adventurous 70's album. It goes from medieval/renaissance sounds at the beginning to spacey prog epic at the end. Cygnus X-1 is still an incredibly mesmerizing
                     song for me. I love every minute of it. It's almost trance inducing, especially the first half with that repeating riff with the slightly changing bass line and drums around it. This was the song that probably lead me the
                     most towards the more atmospheric black metal and stuff like Moonsorrow, with the way that type of music has those repeating rhythms/riffs that slowly change over time. Test for Echo was the third Rush album I ever
                     heard after Roll the Bones and Moving Pictures. It was such a departure from what I thought Rush was capable of the time and again I was mesmerized by the bands ability to pretty much play any style of music they
                     wanted and still sound amazing. Sure there are a few mediocre parts on the album (the lyrics to Dog Years and Virtuality (although this one doesn't bother me as much as some people), and the relative blandness of
                     Carve Away the Stone), but I think overall it is a very diverse album.

Round 5. Two Halves of One (Hemispheres | Counterparts)
                     This match up of albums was incidental and yet perfect. With Hemispheres you have two very different ways of living and with Counterparts you have the overarching theme of love and the two differing sides to that
                     and dealing with it. Hemispheres is one of those albums where every song (to me), is perfect. This was the album where I believe and I'm pretty sure Rush believed, they accomplished the best epic song they could.
                     They also accomplished the best Instrumental song they could. With Counterparts, it's an album with many moving parts, differing vocal styles, song writing styles, and lyrical styles, and yet it all is cohesive and
                     sounds like it belongs together. Some of the bands most emotionally charged material comes from Counterparts.

Round 6. Oceans of Skeletons (Permanent Waves | Roll the Bones)
                     Permanent Waves was the start of Rush trying to be more succinct with their songwriting and really learning about song writing in general. Rush always seemed to have a sort of innate ability to craft amazing and
                     beautiful melodies, but this album is chock full of them. Roll the Bones was the first album I bought with my own money (and the second Rush album I ever heard). I remember it was either late fall or early winter
                     1991 and I was with my mom at the mall in Santa Rosa. We would always go to the music store there and this time I saw the album on cassette and just had to buy it. As a young kid I was always impressed by the
                     amazing drum and bass work on this album. As I got older I began to appreciate it more and more. The creativity in the drums on this album always comes to the forefront of my mind. The whole drum groove on
                     Bravado is amazing. The guitar leads on Ghost of a Chance are utterly brilliant. The bass on Where's My Thing completely blew my mind the first time I heard it.

Round 7. Magical Art Rearrangement (Moving Pictures | Presto)
                     So Moving Pictures was the first Rush album I ever heard, when I was either 4 or 5. My dad had the album on vinyl and I remember getting in to his record collection, even though I wasn't allowed to touch his records
                     or his turntable. I was a rebellious child, so meh. I knew how to operate it, mostly, from watching my dad. So this album naturally ended up being the first one I played after sneaking in to my dad's office when he
                     wasn't home and listened to his music. The rest, they say, is history. This is Rush at their most popular, and yet they stayed true to themselves, they didn't sell out. How this album became so popular, well who can
                     say? Presto on the other hand was Rush finally coming out of a controversial (to some) musical era and going back to their roots, so to speak. Ditching the majority of the keyboards and going to a much more organic
                     guitar, bass, and drums sound. Yes the guitar sound was kind of tinny, and the bass had a weird tone, but it was still Rush and the album still rocked. Plus Available Light might have been one of their best all around
                     songs to that point (from a purely song-writing perspective).
       Round 8. Signal Fire (Signals | Hold Your Fire)
                     So Signals was one of those albums I was disappointed in when I first heard it and then came to absolutely love it later on. Something about it sounding so different to their previous album, Moving Pictures, just threw
                     me for a loop and it took me a long time to come to terms with the bands willingness, need, and ability to change things up and still make it sound amazing. Hold Your Fire was another album that did the same thing to
                     me. I hated it after coming to absolutely love Power Windows. It was only as I grew older that I realized the genius of Hold Your Fire. The song writing is top notch, the melodies are lovely. I really became a sucker for
                     good melodies as I got older. When I was in my teens and early twenties I was all about flashy displays of technical chops. I still enjoy that to a certain extent, but it better be accompanied by good song writing and
                     melodies.
       Round 9. Grace Pressure Washes Windows (Grace Under Pressure | Power Windows)
                     Here we come to two albums that sound both very alike and very different at the same time. I know some around these parts absolutely hates one or the other of these albums (you people are dead to me :)). Personally
                     I love both of these albums for different reasons. First off, Grace Under Pressure has a very cold atmosphere. It's very bleak, but not so much to be depressing. I love the cold sound to the album. It gives it its own
                     personality compared with other Rush albums. The bands journey of becoming good song writers on top of amazing musicians is almost at its peak here. Power Windows on the other hand is very bright and full of major
                     chords. It has a much happier tone. Songs like Marathon are kind of one in a million for me. It hits so many things perfectly. Perfect songwriting, perfect instrumentation, perfect vocal melodies, perfect buildup, perfect
                     climax. The rest of the album is almost as perfect. Middletown Dreams might be won of the most underrated songs in the entire Rush Discography, not quite as upbeat and triumphant as Marathon, but still an amazing
                     song, with great movements and melodies and atmosphere. Lyrically this album also speaks to me, then again most Rush albums do, but this one is quite special lyrically for me.
       Round 10. EP (Come up with your own theme/story)

EP Round Rules
   My two favorite Rush albums are Hemispheres and Power Windows. The length of those albums are 36:11 and 44:28, with 4 and 8 tracks, respectively. You will need to come up with a theme or story to base your EP on and it will need to be between 36 and 44 minutes long (I will give you up to 30 seconds over/under of wiggle room) consisting of anywhere between 4 and 8 tracks (this includes intros, outros, interludes, etc.). You may use as many or as few artists as you like (up to 8 for logistical reasons, no less than 1 for obvious reasons). A theme or story is mandatory (as is a title for the EP), as part of the EP will be graded on the story/theme aspect. While write ups explaining the story/theme aren't necessary, they could help with getting your story across and potentially improve your chances. Flow for the EP's will also be considered and scored accordingly. The songs don't necessarily have to flow from one right in to the next, but if there are jarring cuts it will be detrimental to your score. If you decide to edit the whole EP together as one long track, please include timestamps for where individual songs are supposed to begin/end.
The rules break down as follows:
- Top 5 will advance to this round, the rest will be unceremoniously cut. There may be participation trophies, for all you special snowflakes out there :biggrin:
- Theme/story mandatory
- Length 36-44 minutes long (with 30 second leeway)
- 4-8 tracks (no more, no less) (includes intros, outros, interludes)
- Provide timestamps if editing into 1 track (I actually prefer this method)
- Will be scored out of 25 points (10 points for song quality, 10 points for story/theme quality/coherency, 5 points for flow)
- Bonus points will be issued for Favorite EP Title, Favorite song, and maybe a couple other things. These will be worth 1 point each.

Scoring
Rounds will be scored out of 20 points, 10 for each song.

Scores

Ariich - 16.25, 17.25, 12.5, 12, 17.7, 18, 16, 16.7, 17.7, 23.6 = 167.7
Train - 18.5, 19, 16.7, 13, 13.6, 16.9, 17, 17.9, 17.2, 17.2 = 167
Kattelox - 17.5, 14.7, 14.2, 18.9, 14, 16.5, 16.5, 17.8, 15.8, 20.9 = 166.8
Romdrums - 17, 16.75, 18.7, 16.5, 16, 14, 16, 15.5, 15.5, 19.1 = 165.05
Elite - 10.5, 16, 17, 18.6, 14.2, 14.5, 16.8, 17.8, 14.9, 19.7 = 160
Nekov - 17, 16, 14.8, 14.3, 16.5, 15, 12, 16.3, 18.4, 16.5 = 156.8
Cyril - 15.25, 18.25, 16.5, 17, 14, 13, 16.1, 17.5, 12.2 = 139.8
Tomislav - 16, 16, 16.5, 16, 12.5, 15, 16, 12.4, 13 = 133.4
Lethean - 13.5, 16.5, 11, 18.2, 11.6, 14.5, 12.5, 16, 16.4 = 130.2
TAC - 11, 11, 17.2, 16, 14.5, 11, 17, 15.5, 16.5 = 129.7
Stadler - 14, 16.3, 14.2, 11, 13.5, 17, 10.5, 13.5, 14 = 124
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 02:51:23 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Sign-ups open until Feb 1st)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:29:15 PM »
Round Results

Round 1 - Part 1 | Part 2
Round 2 - Part 1 | Part 2
Round 3 - Part 1 | Part 2
Round 4 - Part 1 | Part 2
Round 5 - Part 1 | Part 2

Banned list

I’m going to cut down the banned list a little bit from last time. You will still need to check my RYM page to make sure I haven’t rated a particular album (or you can PM and ask if you are lazy (I might dock a point for this :D) If an album is rated on RYM, it's banned.
RYM

** = One of my favorite bands
* = I really like this band
 :tdwn = bands I don't particularly like

3rdegree
Aastyra
Abigail Williams
**Absu
*A.C.T
 :tdwn AC/DC
Adagio
Adramelch
 :tdwn Aerosmith
*AFI
The Afterimage
After the Burial
**Agalloch (and all related bands & projects)
 :tdwn Age of Silence
Ahab
 :tdwn Aina
Airbag
Akroma
*Alcest (and all related bands & projects)
Alice in Chains
Alien Ant Farm
Alkaloid
The All American Rejects
All Shall Perish
Allegaeon
 :tdwn Alluvial
Almah
Alpha Rev
Altar of Plagues
Alter Bridge
Amaran’s Plight
Amaseffer
Amesoeurs
Amorphis
Amplifier
An Endless Sporadic
**Anathema (and all related bands & projects)
Ancients
And So I Watch You From Afar
And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
Andacht
Andromeda
Anekdoten
Angels & Airwaves
Anglagard
*Angra
Animals As Leaders
 :tdwn Anima Tempo
Anneke van Giersbergen (and all related bands & projects)
Ansur
Anubis Gate
Arcadea
Arcane (and all related bands & projects)
Arch Echo
Arch/Matheos
Archons
Archspire
Arcturus
*Arena
The Aristocrats
Ark
Arkona
Arsis
Artificial Language
 :tdwn As Blood Runs Black
Asia
Astronoid
At the Drive In (and all related bands & projects)
At the Gates
AtomA
Au champ des morts
Au-Dessus
*Augury
August Burns Red
Avenged Sevenfold
*Ayreon (and all related bands & projects)
Azooma
Babymetal
 :tdwn Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Bad Company
Bal-Sagoth
Bark Psychosis
Barren Earth
Bat for Lashes
Bathory
Battle Circus
Battle of Mice
Beardfish
The Beatles (and all related bands & projects)
Behemoth
Ben Frost
Bend Sinister
Bent Knee
**Between the Buried and Me (and all related bands & projects)
Big Big Train
Bigelf
Billy Idol
Billy Joel
Bjork
 :tdwn Black Country Communion
Blackfield
The Black Dahlia Murder
Black Sabbath (and all related bands & projects)
*Blind Guardian
Blindead
Blotted Science
Blue Oyster Cult
*Blut Aus Nord
Bob Seger (& the Silver Bullet Band)
Bone Thugs N Harmony
Bon Iver
Bon Jovi
Boris
Borknagar
 :tdwn Born of Osiris
Boston
Broken Bells
 :tdwn Bruce Springsteen
Burning Brides
Burst
Burzum (and all related bands & projects)
Caina
Caligula's Horse
Candlebox
Candlemass (and all related bands & projects)
Canvas Solaris
Carach Angren
 :tdwn Cardiacs
The Cars
Cellador
Charred Walls of the Damned
Chevelle
Chicago
Chickenfoot
Children of Nova
Chimp Spanner
Chiodos
Chon
Chthe'ilist
Chuck Berry
Ciconia
Circa Survive
Circus Maximus
Civil Twilight
The Civil Wars
 :tdwn Clair Cassis
cLOUDEAD
*Cloudkicker
Cobalt
**Coheed and Cambria (and all related bands & projects)
ColdWorld
Colliding Parallels
Comedy of Errors
Confusatron
Conquering Dystopia
The Contortionist
Control Denied
Converge
Cor Scorpii
 :tdwn Corvus Stone
 :tdwn Cosmic Atrophy
The Cranberries (and all related bands & projects)
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Crib45
Crimson Glory
Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
 :tdwn Crystal Palace
Culling the Weak
Cult of Luna
Cults
Cursive
Cynic
Dance Gavin Dance
Dan Swano (and all related bands & projects)
 :tdwn D.A.R.K.
 :tdwn The Dark Element
Dark Suns
Dark Tranquillity
Darkest Hour
Darkher
The Darkness
Darkspace
Daughter
*Dave Matthews (and all related bands & projects)
*David Bowie
David Gilmour
David Maxim Micic
Days Before Tomorrow
Deafheaven
**The Dear Hunter
Death
*Deathspell Omega
Death Cab for Cutie
The Decemberists
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Defecto
Deftones
*Depeche Mode
Der Weg einer Freiheit
Devil Doll
Devil Sold His Soul
**Devin Townsend (and all related bands & projects)
Diablo Swing Orchestra
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Dio
*Dire Straits
Dirty Projectors
Dishwalla
Disillusion
Distorted Harmony
Dominici
Don Henley
The Doors
Dordeduh
 :tdwn Dragonfly
DragonForce
**Dream Theater (and all related bands & projects)
Dredg
Drudkh
Dryad’s Tree
Dub Trio
Duskmourn
Dvne
Dynahead
Ea
Eagles
Earthside
Echolyn
Effloresce
Eidola
Eisley
Ekos
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Elysian Blaze
Embraced
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Powell)
Eminem (Through his The Eminem Show album)
Emmy the Great
Empty Tremor
The End
Enisum
Ensiferum
**Enslaved (and all related bands & projects)
Envy
Ephemeral Sun
Epica
Equilibrium
Ereb Altor
Eric Clapton
Eric Johnson
Estradasphere
Evergrey
Evoken
Exmortus
The Expendables
Explosions in the Sky
Extol
 :tdwn The Eyes of a Traitor
*The Faceless
*The Fall of Troy (and all related bands & projects)
Falloch
Falls of Rauros
Fallujah
Fantomas
**Fates Warning (and all related bands & projects)
Fen
 :tdwn FFS
The Fiery Furnaces
Fish
Fleetwood Mac
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Florence + The Machine
The Flower Kings
Flying Colors
The Fog in the Shell
*Foo Fighters (and all related bands & projects)
Foreigner
A Forest of Stars
Forsaken
Frequency Drift
From a Second Story Window
Frost*
Fuath
Galahad
The Gathering
Gazpacho
Genesis (and all related bands & projects)
Gentle Giant
Gentle Knife
The Gentle Storm
 :tdwn George Harrison
Gifts from Enola
God is an Astronaut
 :tdwn Goddess of Fate
*Godspeed You! Black Emperor (and all related bands & projects)
Gojira
Gone is Gone
Goonies Never Say Die
Gorguts
Gorillaz
Gorod
Grails
The Great Discord
The Great Old Ones
Green Carnation
Green Day
Greta Van Fleet
Greyhaven
Guilt Machine
Guns N’ Roses
Hacride
*Haken
 :tdwn Halcyon Way
Hammers of Misfortune
Havukruunu
Heart
Heart of Cygnus
hed Planet Earth
Heidevolk
Heretoir
Hibernal
The Hirsch Effekt
Höstsonaten
Hourglass
*The Human Abstract
Hyperion
IAMX
Iamthemorning
Iceage
Ihsahn
Imperium Dekadenz
In Mourning
In the Woods
**Incubus
Inferi
Inglorious
Insomnium
Intensus
Inter Arma
Into Eternity
 :tdwn Into the Great Divide
Intronaut
IQ
*Iron Maiden
Isis
Ivar Bjornson & Einar Selvik
Iwrestledabearonce
Izah
Jakub Zytecki
 :tdwn James Blake
James LaBrie
Janelle Monae
 :tdwn Janis Joplin
*Jeff Buckley
The Jelly Jam
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Eat World
 :tdwn Joan Jett (& the Blackhearts)
Joe Satriani
 :tdwn Joe Walsh (I have to put him here, because if somebody sent him you would get a -10/10)
John Lennon
 :tdwn John Mellencamp
Johnny Cash
Journal
**Journey
The Joy Formidable
*Judas Priest
Julie Christmas (and all related bands & projects)
Junius
Justin Timberlake
Kaddisfly
Kalisia
Kansas
Kardashev
Karibow
Karnivool
Katatonia
Kate Bush
Kauan
Kayo Dot
Keep of Kalessin
Khlyst
King Crimson (and all related bands & projects)
King Goat
Kings X (and all related bands & projects)
Kino
Kiss
Kiss Kiss
Klimt 1918
Krallice
Kvelertak
KXM
Lantlos
*Led Zeppelin
Legend of the Seagullmen
Leprous
Lifehouse
Liquid Tension Experiment
Lithium Dawn
Liturgy
Locrian
Lonely Robot
Long Distance Calling
Lost Horizon
A Lot Like Birds
Ludicra
Lunatic Soul
**Lykathea Aflame
 :tdwn Lynyrd Skynyrd
M83
Mandroid Echostar
Manticora
 :tdwn Mantra Vega
**Marillion (and all related bands & projects)
**The Mars Volta
*Mastodon
Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band
maudlin of the Well (and all Toby Driver related bands & projects)
Mechina
Megadeth
Melechesh
Meshuggah
Messa
Metal Allegiance
*Metallica
*Mew
Mice on Stilts
*Michael Jackson
Mike Oldfield
Mike Patton (and all related bands & projects)
Minor Giant
*Minus the Bear
Mirrorthrone
Mogwai
Monolithe
Moon Safari
**Moonsorrow
Moroghor
Mouth of the Architect
*Mudvayne
Muse
 :tdwn The Mute Gods
Native Construct
Ne Obliviscaris
Neal Morse
The Neal Morse Band
Need
*Negura Bunget (and all related bands & projects)
 :tdwn Nelly
Neurosis (and all related bands & projects)
Nevermore
 :tdwn Next to None
The Night Flight Orchestra
Night Verses
Nightingale
Nightwish (and all related bands & projects)
*Nile
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Nosound
Nova Collective
Novembre
The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Obscura
Obsidian Kingdom
The Ocean
Oceans of Slumber
*Oceansize
Odd Logic
 :tdwn The Offspring
oOoOO
**Opeth
Oranssi Pazuzu
Orbs
Orphaned Land
OSI
Ozzy Osbourne
Paatos
*Pain of Salvation
Paul McCartney (& Wings)
Paysage d'Hiver
Pearl Jam
Pelican
Pendragon
*A Perfect Circle
Perihelion Ship
Periphery
Persefone
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Pillorian
The Pineapple Thief
**Pink Floyd (and all related bands & projects)
Poem
The Police
**Porcupine Tree (and all related bands & projects)
Portal
Primordial
*Prince
Progenie Terrestre Pura
Protest the Hero
Prototype
Pure Reason Revolution
 :tdwn Quadrus
Queen
Queensryche
Quidam
Quo Vadis
Radiohead
Rainbow
 :tdwn Ramones
The Red Chord
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Redemption
REO Speedwagon
Revocation
(Luca Turilli’s) Rhapsody (of Fire)
Riverside
Rod Stewart
 :tdwn The Rolling Stones
Rudra
***Rush (and all related bands & projects)
 :tdwn Sacred Son
Samael
Sammy Hagar
 :tdwn Santana
Savatage
Save Us From the Archon
Scale the Summit
Scorpions
Sear Bliss
Secret Chiefs 3 (and all related bands & projects)
 :tdwn Self Collapse
Seven Impale
**Shadow Gallery
**Sieges Even
Sigur Ros (and all related bands & projects)
Sikth
Silent Stream of Godless Elegy
Silhouette
*Silversun Pickups
Sleep
Sleepmakeswaves
Slice the Cake
**Smashing Pumpkins (and all related bands & projects)
Snow Patrol
Soen
Solar Fields
Solitude Aeturnus
Solstafir
 :tdwn Sons of Apollo
Soul Secret
 :tdwn Sound of Ceres
Spastic Ink
Spinal Tap
Spock's Beard (and all related bands & projects)
State Faults
Steely Dan
Stellastarr*
Steve Miller
Steve Vai
Steven Wilson
Stevie Nicks
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Stonehenge
Strapping Young Lad
Styx
Subsignal
Subterranean Masquerade
Suidakra
Sum 41
Summoning
Sun of the Sleepless
 :tdwn Sunburst
Sunn O)))
Supertramp
Susperia
Swallow the Sun
Swans
*Symphony X
*System of a Down
The Tangent
The Tea Party
*Tears for Fears
Tenacious D
Tesseract
Textures
*Thank You Scientist
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (or whatever they are calling themselves these days)
Therion
Thin Lizzy
The Thirteenth Sun
Threshold
Thursday
Thy Catafalque
Tides of Man
To-Mera
Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers)
*Tomorrow's Bad Seeds
 :tdwn Tomorrow’s Eve
The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza
**Tool (and all related bands & projects)
Tori Amos
Transatlantic
Tree of Life
Triggerfinger
Triptykon
Triumph
Trivium
**Type O Negative
Tyr
 :tdwn U2
Ulver
Uneven Structure
Unexpect
Univers Zero
Unleashed
Utopianisti
*Vanden Plas
Van Halen
*Vektor
Vertical Horizon
Violet Cold
Voivod
Vuur
W.A.S.P.
Wallachia
Wardruna
Warpaint
Watchtower
Wayfarer
Weezer
Weird Al
White Ward
The Who
Widek
Windir
The Winery Dogs
Wintersun
*With Passion (and all related bands & projects)
 :tdwn Within the Ruins
*Woe of Tyrants
Wolves in the Throne Room
Wretched
*Yes (and all related bands & projects)
Yndi Halda
Yngwie Malmsteen
Yob
Yūgen
Zero Hour (and all related bands & projects)
Zu
ZZ Top
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:06:48 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:29:23 PM »
Banned during roulette

Actor | Observer
Agent Fresco
Alanis Morrisette
Ancestors
Anna von Hausswolff
Astrosaur
Atheist
Bear Ghost
Blood Incantation
Blueneck
Buckethead
Camel
Daft Punk
Dark Oath
Daylight Dies
Disperse
Dream the Electric Sleep
Edge of Reality
Eloy
Frigoris
Full Leather Jackets
Glass Beach
Gogo Penguin
Gold
Hubi Meisel
Hypocrisy
Iapetus
ICS Vortex
Jane's Addiction
Karmakanic
Kepler Ten
Kingcrow
La Dispute
Living Colour
Machine Head
Maieutiste
Majestica
Manchester Orchestra
Master Boot Record
Mutemath
Necrophobic
Neko Case
Night Ranger
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Nothing More
Oceanic
Plini
Raiju
Ravage
Richard Henshall
Rishloo
Sâver
Self
Soundgarden
Strigae
Tanith
The Kinks
The Physics House Band
The Sword
Tides From Nebula
Toska
Triosphere
Unitopia
Unreqvited
Voyager
We Came From Space
Wilderun
Wolfmother
Wrvth
Zebra
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:11:59 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love love love the Rush themes!

Yay..and TAC Rules to boot!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »
I see I was already saved a spot. VIP status  :hat

Looking forward to this, but you'll have to forgive me: I'll pretty much only be sending Spotify links. My entire MP3 collection is on drives stuck in a closet since I currently don't have a desktop (edit: *functioning* desktop) and don't want to make a mess hooking them up to my laptop, and 95% of what I've discovered over the last 3 years is entirely on Spotify.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:55:33 PM »
honestly i might /out, themes look like too much work for me rn  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 07:59:34 PM »

Don't be a pussy!

Looking forward to this, but you'll have to forgive me: I'll pretty much only be sending Spotify links.

Most things are on both Spotify and Google Music. I've done the last two Puppies Roulettes, and pretty much everything I've wanted to send is on Google Music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:02:34 PM »

#sixroamingowls

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
The themes should be fairly easy. Plus you get basically 2 free rounds...

I see I was already saved a spot. VIP status  :hat

Looking forward to this, but you'll have to forgive me: I'll pretty much only be sending Spotify links. My entire MP3 collection is on drives stuck in a closet since I currently don't have a desktop (edit: *functioning* desktop) and don't want to make a mess hooking them up to my laptop, and 95% of what I've discovered over the last 3 years is entirely on Spotify.
You're fine with sending Spotify links. Like I said, I can always find them one way or another.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:11:27 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
oh actually looks like i'm not even in the roulette anyways :neverusethis:
honestly, if i do join i'm just gonna ignore the themes every round tbh, i just wanna send you music

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 10:27:31 PM »
Old habits die hard  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 11:18:49 PM »
I'm in

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 11:52:23 PM »
I'm in
Awesome  :tup

I think Ariich said he was in, in the tracker thread. I'll add him as well until he says otherwise.  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 11:59:34 PM »
Was going to join but with these themes I'm not sure. I'm not a fan of Rush so the first two options are out, and I don't think my library is huge enough to use the third option all the time.

Probably for the best, odds are I would ragequit again or something :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 12:04:07 AM »
Was going to join but with these themes I'm not sure. I'm not a fan of Rush so the first two options are out, and I don't think my library is huge enough to use the third option all the time.

Same. It might help if you gave some descriptions on what each album means to you as far as distinct vibes / aesthetics / themes are concerned, and maybe we can choose our submissions based on those?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 12:04:19 AM »
Can you elaborate on the theme thing? I can’t find the description anywhere, maybe I’m blind, I’m just seeing song/album titles but not sure how that corresponds to a theme

EDIT: I’m an idiot there’s a whole header dedicated to it

I think I’ll pass, this seems more complicated than I can handle at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:12:31 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 01:08:41 AM »

Same. It might help if you gave some descriptions on what each album means to you as far as distinct vibes / aesthetics / themes are concerned, and maybe we can choose our submissions based on those?
The themes are more about what they mean to each of you, whether that's a feeling you get from the musical aspect of the albums or how the lyrics speak to you. I mean it should be fairly easy to read some lyrics to a song or two associated with one of the albums and form some sort of conclusion or something. I suppose I can expand on my thoughts for each of the themes, but that will have to wait til morning.

Again, I didn't mean for this to be complicated. I said outright that I'm not going to be picky as long as some effort was put forth. For example, on the Fly By Night album, the song Making Memories is about being on the road and touring and getting used to that lifestyle and not being homesick. If you were to pick that song for it's lyrical theme and then send me a song about a plastic surgeon that likes to eat peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, then I would probably dock a point, unless you could tie the song to the theme in some way.

Another example could be, if you picked the lyrical content of By-tor and the Snowdog. There are references to Greek Mythology throughout the song. You could then send me a song that has to do with Greek Mythology, or just some sort of Mythology in general, or a song with a fantasy story.....the possibilities are endless. Maybe you like to ominous and quiet instrumental passage in the song, then you could send me a song with a similar vibe.

So again, I want this to be fun for everyone that participates and if you don't think this style of theme is for you, then that's ok. At the same time, I'm not going to hold everyone's hand through a process of finding stuff to send that shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to figure out. I mean gave y'all links to pages with all the lyrics to the albums. Maybe you don't have 5 minutes to spare? That's fine too, and I would say perhaps this isn't the roulette for you.

Regardless of who decides to ultimately sign up or not, you won't hurt my feelings. If only 5 people decide to play, then great! If 25 people decide to play (heaven help me) then also great!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 01:12:53 AM »
i will say that 5 minutes is definitely a colossal underestimate of how much time i'd have to spend for each of the rounds  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 01:17:45 AM »
i will say that 5 minutes is definitely a colossal underestimate of how much time i'd have to spend for each of the rounds  :lol
For you, probably. It was just an example, if you wanted to play fast and loose.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 01:29:09 AM »
I think this is an awesome idea.  I've been a little too busy and wasn't planning on participating in any roulettes, but... I can't pass up the Rush themes.  I'm in.

It's going to be difficult because the stuff I know best is banned, so I'll be looking for connections with bands whose lyrics I don't know so well.  But it still sounds like fun.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 01:38:13 AM »
My problem is that I don’t know what most of the music I love is about either, but if I dig for a feeling it may give me then ag least that’s something I can work with, sure, count me in! And if you think it doesn’t apply well enough to the theme, you will still give the song the same amount of listens? The only punishment is minus one point?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 01:50:31 AM »
I read the rules and think I can do this!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 02:08:10 AM »
My problem is not the time needed for this, I just honestly don't care about Rush enough to read the lyrics. It's all good though, I'll be following this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
Yeah I don't care about Rush either but this should be an interesting challenge :corn

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
My problem is that I don’t know what most of the music I love is about either

this got a lol out of me.  But it also applies to me as well.  Couldn't tell you what most of the music I listen to is about.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 10:29:37 AM »
when the vocals are cookie monster vocals the lyrics become significantly less important, tbh

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
I think this is an awesome idea.  I've been a little too busy and wasn't planning on participating in any roulettes, but... I can't pass up the Rush themes.  I'm in.

It's going to be difficult because the stuff I know best is banned, so I'll be looking for connections with bands whose lyrics I don't know so well.  But it still sounds like fun.
My problem is that I don’t know what most of the music I love is about either, but if I dig for a feeling it may give me then ag least that’s something I can work with, sure, count me in! And if you think it doesn’t apply well enough to the theme, you will still give the song the same amount of listens? The only punishment is minus one point?
I read the rules and think I can do this!
Welcome aboard the Rush train!

And yes everything will get equal listens.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
when the vocals are cookie monster vocals the lyrics become significantly less important, tbh
BEBOP SKIPPITY TIPPITY TAP THOSE TOES :facepalm:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
BEBOP SKIPPITY TIPPITY TAP THOSE TOES :facepalm:

Wait, are we suppose to read that in cookie monster vocals or in David Lee Roth's vocals?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
No idea who that is, it's a lyrics from Between the Buried and Me - Bloom, in... 'cookie monster vocals'

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline romdrums

Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Sign-ups open until Feb 1st/Send for Round 1)
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
I think I can do this.  This should be fun.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »
I think I can do this.  This should be fun.
Happy to have you  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 11:03:26 PM »
Katatonia sent Lethean
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"