Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 81911 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 6 Hangmammagrams)
« Reply #875 on: March 21, 2020, 09:36:32 AM »
Absolutely understandable my man, roulette ain't top priority.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 6 Hangmammagrams)
« Reply #876 on: March 21, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »
No worries Pup. I'm certainly in no rush! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 6 Results Part 1)
« Reply #877 on: March 21, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
Part 1 of Round 6 Results comin' at you! :metal :corn

Cyril

Sparrows - Worship Song

First Impression - This was indeed a song

Theme - succinct but covers a lot of ground. not really any beautiful melodies tho but it does have a very catchy melody imo

I never could get into this song. There wasn't really anything for me to latch on to. Perhaps it works better in the context of the album. I don't have a problem with the vocal style and yet the vocals are a constant annoyance. I'm getting weird flashbacks of Frontierer.... Anyway, this just got worse with each listen. :dunno:

5/10
________

Adrift - Confluence of Fire

First Impression - The vocals kind of ruined the feeling of floating on a cloud of riffs

Theme - bass & drums, groooooove

I absolutely love the groovy riffy nature of this song. I don't love the vocals so much. They kind of take me out of the experience a bit. I don't say this often, but this song would have been near perfect if it was instrumental. The bass tone is fantastic, the guitars are airy, yet heavy, the drums lay down a nice slick groove. Still enjoyable even with the vocals.

8/10

Lethean

Ice Age - The Guardian of Forever

First Impression - Was there a song here?

Theme - The song has an epic feeling to me, and so does Permanent Waves as an album and certainly Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science as songs

This feels very Dream Theater by the numbers to me. Therefor is wasn't very memorable to me. To be fair, I haven't really been enjoying this type of Prog Metal for a while now. Also the keyboards are cheesy in the bad kind of way. There are some redeeming aspects here, but overall it's not something that I would come back to very often.

6/10
_________

Superior - Why?

First Impression - This seems like something I should have heard before

Theme - title track and maybe a little Bravado and Heresy; questioning why things are as they are, etc

This is much better Prog Metal. I'm not sure why I've never heard of this band before. How have I never come across them before? Anyway, I digress. This has a cool emotive quality to it that I find lacking in the majority of traditional style Prog Metal. It might have a little bit to do with the ever present piano, it could be the vocal style. Not sure, but I like it. It also builds quite well. If there's one thing against it, it has a bit of a by the numbers sound to it occasionally, but ehh....

8.5/10

Train of Naught

Psychonaut - Sananda

First Impression - There's some Gojira sounding bits here

Theme - Power trio. Songwriting (and most of all ALBUM WRITING) improved massively between writing their first 2 EPs and this debut full-length

The Gojira comment really is only referring to the guitar tone in parts. Other than that, this is pretty original (well not original original, but still in it's own lane, if that makes sense). The build up, the cool guitar leads, the explosive climax, the outro. It's all so well executed. I love this song. Period. Full Stop! I thought about giving this the perfect 10, but I don't think I can quite do that...(I'll probably change my mind about this later.....)

9.9/10
_______

Neck of the Woods - The Annex of Ire

First Impression - The vocalist sounds familiar or similar to someone else, but I can't put my finger on it

Theme - Amazing drum and bass work. Also a big step up in songwriting compared to their last album.

I kept trying to figure out who this vocalist sounds like and it hit me....He sounds just like your average Prog/Tech Death Metal vocalist. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It does, however, keep this from being unique sounding. The song overall has a great melodic nature to it, with some good riffs and cool instrumental passages. In the end, though, it may be a little too long for its own good, but still an enjoyably average tune.

7/10

Romdrums

Stateless - Radiokiller

First Impression - This sounds like a weird genre mash-up offshoot project involving members of The Mars Volta

Theme - Rush began focusing on songwriting and being more succinct in their approach.  This song is a great example of progressive pop.

This is almost weird and quirky enough to be a Mars Volta b-side or something. The vocalist even sounds a lot like Cedric. I love the groove in this. Quite an enjoyable song, if not terribly full of variety.

7.5/10
_______

Lettuce - Madison Square

First Impression - Oh boy, this kind of put me to sleep

Theme - Where's My Thing? is Rush having fun, and this track is, above all, fun

I think I may have just been super tired the first time I heard this, hence the first impression. Still this isn't anything amazing. There are some cool progressions, with some funkiness all around, but I feel like the band doesn't change it up enough throughout the song. Especially considering the genres involved. It's obvious these guys can play, but I'm not really getting the sense of fun here. :dunno: The last minute-ish is pretty cool though.

6.5/10

Kattelox

Chumbawamba - Unpindownable

First Impression - This is quant

Theme - Succinct

That's ballsy to send me a 1:26 second song in a roulette. I believe this is the shortest actual full song I've ever received in a roulette. At least the song does what it sets out to do and they even manage to cram 2 verses with 2 choruses in this epic tune! :D To keep this nearly as succinct as the song, I liked this. It was memorable. Would listen again.

8.5/10
_______

Tame Impala - Breathe Deeper

First Impression - This band has a problem with making songs way longer than necessary

Theme - Kind of piggybacking off your comments on the grooviness in Touch

I had such high hopes for this song just because of the way it started. Then I looked at the track length, and was immediately reminded how every song that Tame Impala does is way too long for its own good. They have great ideas for there songs. Like this one has a great catchy groove with some cool instrumentation. The saving grace for this song is it's broken up into 3 distinct parts which helps keep it from getting to monotonous, which is more than I can say for any of their other songs I've heard. Possibly the best Tame Impala I've listened to.

8/10

Nekov

RPWL - Wasted Land

First Impression - The music feels triumphant at times, the lyrics not so much

Theme - I find the lyrics of this song relate to Heresy in some way.

There's a weird discrepancy between the music and lyrics. The music has an almost happy tone to it. The lyrics aren't quite so happy, at least from my understanding. I like the song. That chorus is really nice, I like the vocals. Musically it does just enough for the song to make it great.

9/10
______

Papir - IIII.I

First Impression - This feels Post-Rocky, but without the triumphant climax

Theme - beautiful melodies

This almost feels like a band just trying to jam out some Post-Rock ideas in their practice space. Only none of the ideas have a grand climax. There's no rise and fall to the song. It all seems very.....flat? I don't know. I just didn't really connect with this. The music is well played and technically proficient, it just didn't grab me. Perhaps it needs more listens, but there isn't really anything drawing me back in.

6/10
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #878 on: March 21, 2020, 09:56:16 PM »
told ya i blew all my best stuff already  :P
that sparrows album is really good if you dig post-hardcore & post-metal hybrids and probably won't work for you otherwise. maybe i should've sent a different song, i dunno, i like a lot of them about equally  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #879 on: March 21, 2020, 09:59:02 PM »
told ya i blew all my best stuff already  :P
that sparrows album is really good if you dig post-hardcore & post-metal hybrids and probably won't work for you otherwise. maybe i should've sent a different song, i dunno, i like a lot of them about equally  :lol
I'm going to give the album a once over, in fairness to the song, but I just don't know what it was, the song just started to really irritate me.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #880 on: March 21, 2020, 10:18:11 PM »
i dig the riffs, i dig the groove in the middle and i love how the melody that comes in during that middle section forms the basis for the really crushing riff in the last third especially

it's very much an album meant to be listened to all the way through more than have individual songs picked out of it, though

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: March 21, 2020, 10:18:31 PM »
Yessss. I'm glad I went with that particular TI song, it was a toss-up and I'm glad you liked it. And the Chumbawamba (that album was a total shock to me when someone recommended it without describing it to me, as one of the many who only ever heard Tubthumping) Whew.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #882 on: March 22, 2020, 02:24:49 AM »
Wow, 9.9! I wanted to send the opener of that Psychonaut album at first, but I figured I already made you happy on the instrumental front with Astrosaur. Dooooo check out that album though, it’s a masterpiece, and I consider the opener one of the best instrumental tunes ever.

NOTW vocals get compared with Misery Signals and Lamb of God sometimes, could it be one of those? Anyway, I wasn’t sure whether to send this band to be honest, but I’m glad it didn’t tank.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 6 Results Part 2/Send for Round 7)
« Reply #883 on: March 22, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
Part 2 incoming!

TAC

Iron Knights-Jacob's Ladder

First Impression - This is like all the worst parts of Soundgarden and Pantera mixed together

Theme - Song Title

This song is just bad. The vocals are bad, the music is boring and uninspired, the production is terrible. The vocalist sounds like he's trying and failing to sound like Chris Cornell. The heavy bits sound like he's trying to sound like Phil Anselmo, but he just ends up sounding weak. The guitar tone is like a third rate Dimebag.... What I'm trying to say is, this song sucks. Sorry buddy...

3/10
_________

Aeon Zen-The Heart Of The Sun

First Impression - Is this Circus Maximus?

Theme - The Heart Of The Sun is a great line from Dreamline

This is much better than the other song you sent. Seems Michael Eriksen is doing guest vocals here, hence my Circus Maximus comment. The music here is pretty fun and engaging too. Nothing too original or anything, but Prog Metal done mostly right. The keyboard patches are a little on the wrong side of cheesy, but for the most part everything else is spot on.

8/10

Stadler

Sound of Contact - I Am Dimensionaut

First Impression - Mmm, that's some tasty drumming

Theme - I don't share the love that most have for Permanent Waves or Roll The Bones.   Permanent Waves is my least favorite of the "Hemispheres > Moving Pictures" run, and I was/am a HUGE fan of Presto and was looking forward to Roll The Bones and yet was disappointed. So I went down that route and am sending you two songs from Sound Of Contact, a band comprised primarily of a guy named Dave Kerzner and Simon Collins, a man who's dad you might know. I loved the album at first, and the songs I'm sending you are still favorites of mine, but in hindsight, there's more disappointment here than not.   Phil Collins is on my drumming Mt. Rushmore, and while Simon is good - very good - it's not the same, and it's impossible not to lament what could be - the same way I feel about both PW and RTB.  They're good, they're entertaining, but there's a whiff that I can get the same or better elsewhere. HAHA, what a ringing endorsement, right?   But the songs I'm sending you ARE good.

This song is pretty great from start to finish. Starting off slow and building/changing into a more epic climax. I've obviously heard of this band before, but never gave them much of a listen. I'm familiar with all the band members here too. Dave Kerzner has some other projects that I really enjoy. This song really takes an old school Genesis meets Marillion approach and it works very well. There's also this really cool spacey quality to the music that I really like. Simon is definitely a beast drummer, with not only technical chops, but tasty fills, just like his dad. Overall a pretty amazing song.

9/10

Sound of Contact - Not Coming Down

First Impression - Sounds like a Vertical Horizon song

Theme - See Above

The song, unlike the above Sound of Contact song, takes the approach of melding Fish-era Marillion with H-era Marillion with the pop sensibilities of Vertical Horizon. The verses are very Marillion sounding, while the choruses are very Vertical Horizon sounding. I don't like this song quite as much as the other here, but it's still very enjoyable.

8/10

Elite

Arcade Fire - Wake Up

First Impression - Better than I was expecting

Theme - beautiful melodies

I have lots of friends that are Arcade Fire fans, but I was never convinced. I don't think this song is necessarily going to change my stance, but this is a pretty decent song. I'm not sure I understand all the high ratings this album gets either. There's nothing amazing here. There are some nice melodies, there's a lot of different instrumentation, neat change ups, and various vocals, but nothing that would demand my attention. :dunno:

7/10

Sublime - Jailhouse

First Impression - There are parts of this song I wish were different

Theme - song from the first album *I* ever bought

I think Stockholm Syndrome started to set in after repeated listens to this song. I was conned into liking it. Sublime forced me. Even though I initially didn't like the vocals at times, after a while I started......eh, actually I still don't really care for them. On the other hand this is a style of music I enjoy very much, like The Expendables, Tomorrow's Bad Seeds, and Pepper. So stylistically it's right up my alley. I'm not sure why I never got into this album back when it came out. All my friends got it. I was just in to other stuff I guess...

7.5/10

Tomislav

mewithoutYou - Red Cow

First Impression - Not exactly what I look for in this genre

Theme - based on Jacob's Ladder. Even though it's not song with biblical references, title is so I choose a song with obvious biblical (old testament) references

Ehh, this song is OK. When it comes to Post-Hardcore influenced Indie Rock, this leaves a little to be desired. Maybe I'm just not feeling this particular song. I'll try the rest of the album to see if it does anything for me.

6.5/10
_________

Russian Circles - Death Rides a Horse

First Impression - What's that phrase all the kids are using these days? Oh yeah.... That was a banger!

Theme - Instrumental

Now this was a hip song. This must be that new fangled rock n roll all the kids are going on about these days. You know, the devil's music. Well it  sounds pretty tasty to me. Great riffs and progressions! Not much else to say.

8.5/10

Ariich

RX Bandits - Ruby Cumulous

First Impression - That's an interesting way to start a song

Theme - succinct songwriting, strong melodies and prominent rhythm section

I'm disappointed in you! Why didn't you send me this band sooner? This is awesome! So much cool stuff going on. A little bit of prog, a little bit of reggae, a little bit of ambient/electronic-ness, a touch of ska. The whole band is pretty much on point here. I love it!

9/10
________

RX Bandits - Will You Be Tomorrow

First Impression - Lots of cool stuff going on here

Theme - succinct songwriting, strong melodies and prominent rhythm section

I could pretty much just repeat what I said for the last song, except this song has a bit more of a sexy grooviness to it. This song has a great variety to it, without being jarring between parts. It's smooth!

9/10

Scores

Romdrums - 17, 16.75, 18.7, 16.5, 16, 14 = 98.95
Train - 18.5, 19, 16.7, 13, 13.6, 16.9 = 97.7
Kattelox - 17.5, 14.7, 14.2, 18.9, 14, 16.5 = 95.8
Cyril - 15.25, 18.25, 16.5, 17, 14, 13 = 94
Ariich - 16.25, 17.25, 12.5, 12, 17.7, 18 = 93.7
Nekov - 17, 16, 14.8, 14.3, 16.5, 15 = 93.6
Tomislav - 16, 16, 16.5, 16, 12.5, 15 = 92
Elite - 10.5, 16, 17, 18.6, 14.2, 14.5 = 90.8
Stadler - 14, 16.3, 14.2, 11, 13.5, 17 = 86
Lethean - 13.5, 16.5, 11, 18.2, 11.6, 14.5 = 85.3
TAC - 11, 11, 17.2, 16, 14.5, 11 = 80.7
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #884 on: March 22, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »
DOWN! LOWER! TO THE BOTTOM!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #885 on: March 22, 2020, 06:25:59 PM »
Back in last place. Apparently for good. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #886 on: March 22, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
DOWN! LOWER! TO THE BOTTOM!!!
That's where TAC is going :neverusethis:

Back in last place. Apparently for good. :lol
Things were looking up for you after the previous 3 rounds. Then you threw that Iron Knight turd at me. And as they say, shit rolls downhill.....  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #887 on: March 22, 2020, 06:34:01 PM »
i mean i dropped two places after that last round too  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: March 22, 2020, 07:36:53 PM »
3rd place. I can dig it.  :hat

EDIT: Sorry, completely forgot to pick out songs. Looking now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:29:58 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: March 23, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Dammit, Rich just passed me. I was hoping Papir would do it for you but I guess not. I'll probably send on Wednesday.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #890 on: March 25, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »
Dammit, Rich just passed me. I was hoping Papir would do it for you but I guess not. I'll probably send on Wednesday.
Yeah, climbed the rankings a fair bit from a solid couple of rounds, after two terrible ones before that. :lol It's all pretty tight around where we are though!

Sent for round 7.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #891 on: March 25, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
Oh shoot. I'll send tonight. I'm so sorry, Pup.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #892 on: March 25, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
No worries. I haven't had any time to listen to anything anyway.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #893 on: March 25, 2020, 07:09:36 PM »
guess you're really in no rush at the moment :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: March 25, 2020, 07:10:14 PM »

say sike right now

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #895 on: March 25, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
guess you're really in no rush at the moment :neverusethis:
*snare snare crash*

say sike right now
:billiejean:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #897 on: March 26, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »
Still waiting on 3 of you guys. I cant keep waiting a week to get all the submissions  :-\ We'll never get to the final round, which is going to be the best!  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #898 on: March 26, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »
angry dragon clause! angry dragon clause! angry dragon clause!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: March 26, 2020, 06:38:17 PM »
I forgot if I even sent

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #900 on: March 26, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »
Me too. I think I did, but then again...

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #901 on: March 26, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »
Kattelox sent, Stadler did not.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #902 on: March 26, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »

Sorry boss; fully thought I did.  Have it to you later tonight or by noon the latest tomorrow.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #903 on: March 26, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »

Sorry boss; fully thought I did.  Have it to you later tonight or by noon the latest tomorrow.
Sounds good.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #904 on: March 26, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »
who else we waiting on? the daculite?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #905 on: March 26, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
who else we waiting on? the daculite?
Tomislav and Elite
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #906 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
Tomilite :getoffmylawn:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #907 on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
If I haven't solidified a last place finish, I certainly have with this round! :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: March 26, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
On the moon, late senders get their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks

Offline Lethean

« Reply #909 on: March 26, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »
If I haven't solidified a last place finish, I certainly have with this round! :lol

I think the song that Puppies scored the highest is the one I like least of all the songs I've sent him.  Clearly I have no idea what to send and could end up taking your spot.

But I've been meeting my own goal of not having to use a free pass and to send songs with lyrics that remind me of Rush lyrics.  I should be able to manage the last few rounds, but no idea what I'll be able to do for the EP (if no one is cut).