Author Topic: Dracula Netflix series  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Dracula Netflix series
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »
So I just watch the first of 3 episodes of Dracula on Netflix and I really liked it a lot. I feel like they paid homage to Bella Lugosi, Christopher Lee, and Gary Oldman so far.
What's funny is, I don't like the whole vampire genre at all but I love the Dracula story! I always have. This version has some different twists and it also has elements of the new AMC show NOS4A2.
Let me know what you guys think if you've seen it?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Dracula Netflix series
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
It's on my to do (well, to watch) list. Sooner or later I'll go for it!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
The first two episodes were great, and I liked the differences in this story compared to the traditional Bram Stoker story.  The third episode just lost me, bringing him into the present, with some relative of the other primary character (the nun).

I thought that was insanely hokey.  The nun's character was fantastic though and we were deprived of more of her by the third episode.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »
It's on my list.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:23:00 AM »
First two episodes were great, although the first was better than the second. The third was not so great, some good ideas in there but not up to par with the first two. And the ending was a little bit stupid imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:29:43 AM »
Watched the first episode. A fresh take on something that by now has been done over and over!

I liked how we start with a gaunt man attracted by flies and - I assume - we all go "Ok, here's Renfield" but NO, he's Jonathan Harker!
Something was off during the first half of the episode, such as the extremely gaunt condition of Harker, and the too much inquisitive questions from the nun. I was expecting a twist - either Harker was willingly an infiltrated working for Dracula, or the nuns were the ones who were Dracula accomplices, and were so insisting in wanting to precisely know how he escaped in order to make sure to not make the same mistake a second time. But the show was ahead on me with the actual twist about what happened on the rooftop with Dracula.

At some time I also wondered about the curious nature of the nun, the moment Dracula asked "Who are you?" I immediately understood what was going on, and what her surname would have been.

This version of Dracula is more of a taunting asshole but I don't mind it. Works well for the character.

Tonight and tomorrow I'm gonna watch the other two episodes!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:34 AM »
Also the second episode was great! we all know from the original story that Dracula stowed away hidden in boxes, and when he boarded in plain sight and the nun was "what?", I loved how Dracula waved it away with "come on, it's a long trip, do you want me to stay hidden the whole time?", which is quite well in character for this smartassing version of Dracula.

I also wondered why the hell the nun was playing chess with Dracula, and how it did fit timeline wise, took me a while to figure it out but hey, took some time for HER as well.

Now I'll have to watch the final episode, which everyone seem to say it's  bad.... fingers crossed then.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 03:37:19 AM »
Also the second episode was great! we all know from the original story that Dracula stowed away hidden in boxes, and when he boarded in plain sight and the nun was "what?", I loved how Dracula waved it away with "come on, it's a long trip, do you want me to stay hidden the whole time?", which is quite well in character for this smartassing version of Dracula.

I also wondered why the hell the nun was playing chess with Dracula, and how it did fit timeline wise, took me a while to figure it out but hey, took some time for HER as well.

Now I'll have to watch the final episode, which everyone seem to say it's  bad.... fingers crossed then.

Sadly it is.   However I don't think it's the change of setting that hurts the show, the first 30 minutes are still great and show that it could have worked in a modern time setting........but once the lawyer turns up the story goes to shite (and doesn't actually make any sense..).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 02:40:14 AM »
I went in with lowered expectations and so I wasn't terribly shocked or outraged. The idea of Dracula quickly adapting at the new world was cool, after all he's a very intelligent super human that has already been around quite a lot, so he was used to progress and wasn't completely shocked by cars and helicopters, he got quickly the hang of it... but the edgy, almost comical aspect of a lawyer contacted on Skype to arrange for his release was a bit too much.

The actress playing the nun and then Zoe was fantastic, and she and Dracula really made the show, but I would expect him, after finding out that he can walk in the sun, to feel completely free and more powerful, rather than simply going "Ah, ok, guess I can go now".

Still, two amazing and original episodes and a somehow weird ending, "two out of three ain't bad" I guess.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 02:54:30 AM »
As I said, the third episode had some good ideas (and some good jokes) but the ending was stupid.

Spoiler:

Nun: "Dracula, you're afraid of death"
Dracula: "Oh, you're right, guess now that I know it I can finally kill myself"

Doesn't really make sense to me. :justjen

Still overall a cool series.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D