Author Topic: Dream Theater Cassette / Tape  (Read 2751 times)

Offline thyer

Dream Theater Cassette / Tape
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
Hi to all,

someone have to sell me the DT cassette / tape "Live at Budokan" and "Another Day"? Please write me a PM.

Thansk you all.

https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Another-Day/release/4830535

https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Live-at-Budokan/release/10238741

Offline pg1067

Re: Dream Theater Cassette / Tape
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
Why would you want these on cassette (esp. Live at Budokan, which contains a lot more material than apparently appears on that cassette, which I'm surprised was ever released)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 01:52:51 PM »
Why would you want these on cassette (esp. Live at Budokan, which contains a lot more material than apparently appears on that cassette, which I'm surprised was ever released)?

I think thyer is a collector. I was a DT collector at one point, and had (still have) some very rare items like a promo hourglass from the FII days and some weird promo pressings (black and white Awake album, etc). The Funky Gibbons and DTFranz from the old MP forum had huge collections  (I know TFG sold most of it, not sure about DTFranz).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
I don't have either of those, but I have I&W and Awake on cassette.  I also have I&W Live in Tokyo on VHS, which I got JP, JLB, and JM to sign for me lol.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
I also have I&W Live in Tokyo on VHS, which I got JP, JLB, and JM to sign for me lol.

I used to have the VHS (unsigned).  I think I got rid of it when I got the LIT/5YIAL DVD package.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
I also have I&W Live in Tokyo on VHS, which I got JP, JLB, and JM to sign for me lol.

I used to have the VHS (unsigned).  I think I got rid of it when I got the LIT/5YIAL DVD package.
I kept it, just in case.

They laughed when they saw it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline thyer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 11:31:18 AM »

I'm DT collector and a few month ago I found that LAB and AD were issued on cassette. Seems impossible to find its  :'(

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 06:50:09 AM »
Have you gone on Discogs?  There's another good site, but I'm blanking on the name; when I get to my other computer I'll look in my bookmarks.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
I had Awake on cassette back in the day and if I remember correctly Scarred was missing and Innocence Faded was on side 2.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »
I had Awake on cassette back in the day and if I remember correctly Scarred was missing and Innocence Faded was on side 2.
Scarred is definitely missing from the Awake cassette.

I don't remember the placement for Innocence Faded, but I think you are right about that.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 12:19:13 PM »

I don't remember the placement for Innocence Faded, but I think you are right about that.
Out of my own interest: Why would Scarred have to be missing on the cassette version (mind you, I never owned Awake on tape, CD only)? Awake is 75 minutes long and IIRC, cassette tapes had a limit of 90 minutes. I might be wrong about the latter part though.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »
You could get blank tapes at 90-minutes (45 a side), but if memory serves, few pre-recorded, store-bought cassette tapes approached that length.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »

Out of my own interest: Why would Scarred have to be missing on the cassette version (mind you, I never owned Awake on tape, CD only)? Awake is 75 minutes long and IIRC, cassette tapes had a limit of 90 minutes. I might be wrong about the latter part though.

I'm not sure it had to be missing, but it was.  Why?  I don't know, but I do vaguely recall knowing someone who had the cassette version with Scarred missing.  Scarred was one of my favorite songs on Awake right from the start, so I remember thinking that would really suck not to have one of the best songs on the album.

Also, there was no limit as to how long a cassette could be other than the physical space that the tape takes up in the housing.  120 minute blank cassettes (60 minutes per side) were not uncommon, and TDK made a 180 minute cassette (90 minutes per side).  The longer the recording time, the thinner the tape had to be, which meant reduced sound quality, so the really long cassettes were generally only used for spoken word recordings (e.g., college lectures and what-not), much like 16 rpm records.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »
Yeah, but like Stadler said, studio releases on cassette were never on those mega-length cassettes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »

Innocence Faded was in between Lifting Shadows Off a Dream and Space Dye Vest on Side 2 of the cassette (with Scarred removed altogether).  I knew someone who had it (he had yet to graduate to CD's) and was like, WTF, when I saw that.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »
Yeah, but like Stadler said, studio releases on cassette were never on those mega-length cassettes.

Studio perhaps, but I have Queen's 'Live Killers' and 'Wembley' (one edit) cassettes that clock in at 90 and approximately 108 minutes.  Depending on brand and length of tape, one often encountered poor performing cassettes after a time.  And yet, I have some that are now 40+ years old, and still play fine.

An 'Awake' cassette would have been 37:05 and 37:51 per side (pretty darn even), and the odd 'Scarred' deletion and 'Innocence Faded' changes resulted in 31:37 and 32:20.  The changes make no sense, unless there was a discount on the shorter tapes ;)  Anyhoo, 'happy hunting'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 06:01:33 PM »
I had all of the early albums on cassette, even SFAM!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline thyer

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »
The Korean edition of awake cassette/tape have all the songs on it.

Offline thyer

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 07:31:02 AM »

Do you have Octavarium cassette to sell?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »

Do you have Octavarium cassette to sell?

No I stopped buying tapes around 2000.  And Scarred was definitely off the Awake tape.  I never knew of it until I got the CD.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.