Author Topic: The Grocery Store Thread  (Read 4285 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Grocery Store Thread
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:45:46 PM »
So, between the Shopping Cart Thread, people using cash in the Chat Thread, or impatient people in the Pissed Thread, I thought we could use a DTF Grocery Store Thread.

We can bitch and moan, shame, and celebrate the wonderful experience of shopping or working in a Grocery Store.

As many of you know, I spent almost 16 years as a Store Manager for a major chain supermarket.

One time many years ago, while I was an Assistant Manager, I witnessed this one dude have some sort of meltdown/seizure. Not sure exactly, but he was fried. This guy grabbed a two liter bottle of Sprite, tucked it in his arm like a football, and ran down the middle of our seasonal aisle. He was bobbing and weaving around the shippers as if they were would be tacklers. When he got to the end of the aisle, he faked like he was going to spike it, placed the bottle down, and ran out of the store with two arms raised.   :facepalm: :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Grocery Store Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
I did some nice moves that day ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »
Well, I don't have much to say, but my last trip to Vons was pretty good.  Got a 8-piece Mango Habanero grilled chicken, and half a pound each of Mac and Cheese and Potato Salad, and two donuts.  Lasted me nicely for the weekend and it set me back like $9.00 with the Vons club deal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »
8 years in grocery and I have a story of tackling a dude stealing beef.

So many more to tell.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »
8 years in grocery and I have a story of tackling a dude stealing beef.

So many more to tell.
Sounds like he was an amateur. If he was worth a damn you'd have been too busy putting out the fire on the toilet paper aisle to worry about that guy with the steaks (or his buddy with the beer).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
Seriously.   I saw him slide a few packages of Del Monaco steaks in his jacket.

My tackle when he tried to exit the store was flawless.  I jarred the fuck out of him.

Management was not happy because I put myself in a compromising position.  I get it now but let me tell you I got all of him plus on that tackle.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:30:24 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »
Going on 12 years as a stocker. Seriously considering something new. The current store I'm at is turning into a shitshow. Only problem is I live in a small town 20 miles from anywhere. Small price for getting out of Phoenix. I could rant all day and certainly have over the years on this forum.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 06:40:16 PM »
I’m a produce manager at my family’s grocery store. I really enjoy the produce part of the business. I don’t look like I eat a lot of produce, but it’s fun to sell and merchandise.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »
Started working in a grocery store when I was 15 and quit at age 26.

A few months bagging groceries (Hated it)
A few years pushing shopping carts and cleaning up spills (loved it)
The bulk of the years were working in Grocery department AKA stocking shelves (It was fine)
Then I worked in the pharmacy for a couple years (hated it beyond words and ran away from it screaming)

Retail pharmacy is basically a sweat shop where you get screamed at all day for things that are not your fault, and then the whole cycle repeats itself over and over again. NOTHING ever changes despite your best efforts, and I would literally be shaking in the car dreading the idea of having to go in soon.

Overall I learned some very valuable lessons working in a grocery store. Some positive and some very negative. It wizened me up big time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »
Seriously.   I saw him slide a few packages of Del Monaco steaks in his jacket.

My tackle when he tried to exit the store was flawless.  I jarred the fuck out of him.

Management was not happy because I put myself in a compromising position.  I get it now but let me tell you I got all of him plus on that tackle.

Fuck yeah dude.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »
I spent 4 years in my teens (16-20) working in a grocery store, as a bagger, then promoted to a checker.  I actually loved it and learned to take pride in my work at that job.  Found a better summer/break job when I was home from college and never, ever went back to the grocery store.

My favorite memory there was when we'd close early at 3pm on a day like Christmas Eve.  The other grocery store kiddy-corner to our store would also close at that time.  So at 3pm, they lock the doors and post me and another guy at the door, so we can let current shoppers out as they finish up, but prevent new people from coming in.  So many men would have full on shit-fits, arguing and yelling at us, teenage store employees, about how we should let him in to buy one thing.  Sorry dude, doesn't work like that.  "I'm going across the street to the other store!"   "Ok, fine, they're closed too."   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
So many men would have full on shit-fits, arguing and yelling at us, teenage store employees, about how we should let him in to buy one thing.  Sorry dude, doesn't work like that.  "I'm going across the street to the other store!"   "Ok, fine, they're closed too."   :lol

That's funny.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 09:37:32 PM »
Hell yeah, this is my new favorite thread.

Was asked to show my ID while buying two bottles of sparkling water last week. The bottles look like this. The cashier thought it was beer. :facepalm:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »
While I was in college, I was working at a gas station which also had a one grocery/snack area. Some dude tried to steal ice cream from us. We caught him and while he tried to run away my manager threw a can a beans at the dude and hit him in the head.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:10:50 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 09:57:22 PM »
I won't get this thread closed this time guys, I promise.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:53:05 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 10:22:56 PM »

Never worked in one, but had a brilliant moment in one a few months back. It was actually a CVS Pharmacy, but we'll count it cause they sell groceries. I'm waiting to pay for whatever I was getting, and I see a homeless guy walk in who is visibly not with it 100% upstairs. He walks straight to the beer coolers, opens it up, grabs a 30 pack, and starts rapidly walking out. Mind you all, this is like 4pm on a weekday, full store. The whole way out he's saying very loudly "It's my medicine....It's my medicine...". There was only one dude on the register, and no one quick enough to make a run after him, so homeboy made it with his 'medicine'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 11:40:24 PM »
Boy, there are two things I have learned so far in this thread.

1.  A lot of you work or has worked in a grocery store.  Good on you.  I appreciate what you all represent and what you guys do on a daily basis.

2.  That people actually do attempt to steal from the store and that someone actually did get away with it?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 05:12:16 AM »

1.  A lot of you work or has worked in a grocery store.  Good on you.  I appreciate what you all represent and what you guys do on a daily basis.

2.  That people actually do attempt to steal from the store and that someone actually did get away with it?

Oh it happens all the time, not just grocery stores. Here is one that will have you scratching your head (maybe).

I also worked at Guitar Center for a while, and one time there was a guy with no arms trying to steal a guitar from us.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 05:19:18 AM »

Oh it happens all the time, not just grocery stores. Here is one that will have you scratching your head (maybe).

I also worked at Guitar Center for a while, and one time there was a guy with no arms trying to steal a guitar from us.

Wait what, how would he play a guitar without arms? And how did he try to steal it in the first place?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 07:01:29 AM »
Yeah, that demands further explanation :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 07:19:14 AM »
And nobody get the damn thread locked if you take umbrage at someone's mental handicap, such as but not limited to leaving the cart outside of the corral.

:biggrin: :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »

Never worked in one, but had a brilliant moment in one a few months back. It was actually a CVS Pharmacy, but we'll count it cause they sell groceries. I'm waiting to pay for whatever I was getting, and I see a homeless guy walk in who is visibly not with it 100% upstairs. He walks straight to the beer coolers, opens it up, grabs a 30 pack, and starts rapidly walking out. Mind you all, this is like 4pm on a weekday, full store. The whole way out he's saying very loudly "It's my medicine....It's my medicine...". There was only one dude on the register, and no one quick enough to make a run after him, so homeboy made it with his 'medicine'
Polite Texan that I am, I held the door open at a CVS as some guy bolted out and ran down the street with a 12-pack. Fucker didn't say thank you. They'll make a half-assed attempt to get him while he's in the store, but they won't step one foot outside.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 08:13:46 AM »
Yeah, that demands further explanation :lol

The dude was missing an arm completely and the other arm was chopped to his elbow. He used what was left of it to hold/pressure a guitar against his body and tried to walk out the store with it hoping we would not notice  :facepalm:

Most people that steal from Music store is not because they will play the instrument, but because they will sell it to a pawn shop or on the streets.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »
This reminds me, I need to go grocery shopping today  :hat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
This reminds me, I need to go grocery shopping today  :hat

I had an epiphany Friday night, as I was doing some quick grocery shopping after work: grocery shopping as an adult is one of the more 'peaceful' activities in my life, and that's how I know I'm getting old.  :lol There's something very serene about walking through my local grocery store (which isn't very crowded, yay small town living!) and quietly picking out items at the end of the week. I love it.

Except for when I get the bad cart with the squeaky wheel  :censored
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
I'm kinda with ya Katt.  Plop my earbuds in, and I'm in bliss.  Back when I lived in a 700,000 population city, Costco was arduous.  Families of 11 getting their free samples; people blocking an entire aisle/row as they catchup (Heather!  It's been so long!!!  How are Warren and the girls?   >:(); not taking the membership card out until the front entrance, then digging into the bottom of their Mary Poppins sized purse to find it.  Fuck off people!  Pull over to the side and get out of my way... I know what I'm doing here.

:marriageanalogy:

Now that I'm in a town of 35,000... it's all cool.  Even the closest Costco can be peaceful.  It's only a couple of years old, and right off the highway, but in a fairly unpopulated area (but growing).  It's good now, but surely will be torture in a few years.

And very few wobbly wheels.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 09:01:35 AM »
Wow. My town has something like 12.5k and that's plenty big enough for me! The thought of living in a place with 700k gives me a rash. Also, :hifive: fellow earbud-shopper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Plop my earbuds in, and I'm in bliss. 

This is actually a pet peeve of mine. This to me, is the biggest reason why everyone in the store is a fucking zombie. No one pays attention to anyone of anything around them. I never went grocery shopping with my Walkman.

This is why I asked Joe if the guy walking in the middle of the parking lot was wearing air buds.

The thing that really fries me is when parents with small children have air buds in.

Wow. My town has something like 12.5k and that's plenty big enough for me! The thought of living in a place with 700k gives me a rash.

My town has 6000 people.

Also, :hifive: fellow earbud-shopper.

:\

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 09:04:25 AM »
I worked at Schnucks for a little over a year when I was 18/19.  In the meat department.

*insert jokes*

:P :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:44 AM »
I don't play my earbuds full blast while shopping, but even if I was, I still have my eyes - I pay attention to what's around me. Not like I'd talk to anyone if I didn't have earbuds in anyway. Nothing about my shopping habits change with earbuds in except I have even less interest in hearing what Cheryl says to Ethel in the back of the milk aisle. Maybe I'll stop wearing my earbuds when you put the fucking carts in the corral, Tim  :lol

Plus I'm going shopping by myself. WTF do I care if people around me judge me for listening to music while I pick out frozen pizzas?  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »
I tend to keep my earbuds in when I shop in my local grocery too. They're useful because people think my shopping trance look, complete with drool glistening on one side of my mouth, comes from listening to really good music. But it's just from being relaxed and peaceful  ;D literally no one talks to strangers around here so I'm not being rude, and kids do run around sometimes, but I have eyes, so!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »
Plus I'm going shopping by myself. WTF do I care if people around me judge me for listening to music while I pick out frozen pizzas?  :lol

I'll use my old man voice and say that air pods while shopping is another reason why no one gives a shit about anyone anymore. I mean it's not that strangers are going to whip up conversations in the store, I get that. But it seems like everyone is so closed off from everyone else. To me, it's almost a symbolic thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
If I were a city liver, I'd probably have my headphones in, but as I drive to the grocery store, I never had thought to bring headphones with me.  Regardless, I shop for myself and usually am pretty quick about it.  However, I don't consider it a peaceful experience.  My town is 20k and small overall, it's usually pretty busy and hectic with carts and people having too many items in the under 20 items lanes.  Whatever, it's not as bad as the costco but it's usually not a pleasant experience and I don't think headphones will make it any better. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 10:20:03 AM »

I'll use my old man voice and say that air pods while shopping is another reason why no one gives a shit about anyone anymore. I mean it's not that strangers are going to whip up conversations in the store, I get that. But it seems like everyone is so closed off from everyone else. To me, it's almost a symbolic thing.

That's definitely an old man take. Your problem is with the person, not the headphones. I still say 'excuse/pardon me,' 'thank you,' etc. when required, just like when I shop without earbuds/headphones. In my perfect world I wouldn't have to interact with a single other human being, and hell, with my lifestyle, I'm pretty close to that ideal already. But my headphones make literally zero difference in how I interact with people at the grocery store. (Plus, with my wireless ones, if my hair is down or I have a hat on, you wouldn't even know they're in, anyway!  :biggrin: )

And I take them out as the cashier is ringing up my things. That's the only time I think it's even slightly rude, because cashiers (especially at the local grocery store I go to, where they still have baggers!) like to make small talk. Even at Wal-Mart where the employees look like they'd rather be shoveling shit for pigs than ringing things up, I'll turn off the music because that's an unavoidable social interaction (even if they don't say anything, the courtesy is mine to give).