Author Topic: Why don’t people like BMUBMD?  (Read 9405 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Why don’t people like BMUBMD?
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
Thanks to this thread, I got on a bit of a Red kick last week, and have had a couple of their songs stuck in my head the last couple of days.  :lol

Anyway, this thread was a nice reminder (as if I needed one) that some of the band's more recent "short," concise songs like BMU/BMD and Forsaken, are just REALLY top notch, well-written, fun songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2020, 08:17:04 AM »
I think Forsaken is excellently written.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2020, 08:25:47 AM »
I think Forsaken is excellently written.

If I were to do an ultimate DT prog metal mix tape (hmmm...not a bad idea for a title for their next "greatest hits" package, if they were to do one), Forsaken would likely be on it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
Forsaken is awesome. Concise, catchy chorus, the melody changes differently in the verses... in an ideal world it would have been a smash crossover hit with people enjoying this on the radio.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »
Forsaken :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »
Herrick likes Forsaken as well.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »
Forsaken is awesome. Concise, catchy chorus, the melody changes differently in the verses... in an ideal world it would have been a smash crossover hit with people enjoying this on the radio.
Most definitely! 
 "Our New World" would be another good one, plus a few more from TA. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Volante99

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »
I always thought “These Walls” could have been a minor metal radio hit. It’s just a tiny bit too long for that format unfortunately.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »
I love Forsaken.  And it's one of the best videos they've done as well, imho.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »
Forsaken is one of their biggest disappointments to me ever.  Cool piano lead, nice vibe, and a great JP solo, and all for naught thanks to a bland chorus that somehow misses the mark.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2020, 09:34:23 AM »
Many of the singles they've released in the past 15 years are among my favorite DT songs, especially Forsaken and A Rite of Passage. I assume it has a lot to do with my background as a more traditional metal listener, not so much a prog fan. I can see why those songs are disliked by the other half of the fan base though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:54 AM »
Many of the singles they've released in the past 15 years are among my favorite DT songs, especially Forsaken and A Rite of Passage. I assume it has a lot to do with my background as a more traditional metal listener, not so much a prog fan. I can see why those songs are disliked by the other half of the fan base though.

Love Forsaken, but I'm not a fan of A Rite of Passage. To me, Forsaken is a greatly crafted song, AROP isn't.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2020, 02:00:18 PM »

I'm with you.  I was also originally a more traditional metal fan before I discovered DT.  I really like most of the singles they've released over the past few decades.  And, since discovering DT, they have become my favorite band.

Here's a list of singles that I like since Systematic Chaos:

Forsaken
TDEN
ARoP
Wither
OtBoA
BMUBMD
TEI
AFtR
TGoM
MoB
ONW
UA
FitL

These are the ones I think are just OK:

CM
TLG
Paralized

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
Forsaken is OK, I guess.  Hard to point out specific things wrong with the song itself. 

It just doesn't hold my interest.  It doesn't sound specifically DT to me.  *shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2020, 04:16:18 PM »
Regarding Forsaken. I pretty much feel see same as KevShmev. The chorus lets it down. Everything else about the tune is nice.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2020, 04:46:37 PM »
Regarding Forsaken. I pretty much feel see same as KevShmev. The chorus lets it down. Everything else about the tune is nice.

Agreed. Choruses are hard. It’s the fatal “You Not Me” Paradox

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
I like YNM too, but not as much as Forsaken.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2020, 03:54:19 PM »
I think that both You Not Me, and especially Forsaken have great choruses. BMUBMD has a really good one too.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »

I moved past this when it was first posted a couple weeks ago, but now I'm too curious.  What the heck is the "'You Not Me' Paradox"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Volante99

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2020, 11:48:43 PM »

I moved past this when it was first posted a couple weeks ago, but now I'm too curious.  What the heck is the "'You Not Me' Paradox"?

You Not Me...cool song up until the Desmond Child chorus. The worst chorus in DT’s history, and maybe one of the worst choruses in rock and roll history. A chorus that would have completely derailed a lessor band’s career. (I’m being dramatic but you get the point).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 02:10:38 AM »
Of course everyone's tastes and personal perceptions are valid, but.... really? what's wrong with the anthemic and bombastic chorus of FORSAKEEEEEEEN I HAVE COME FOR YOU TONIIIIIGHT? it's awesome!

And You Not Me's chorus is catchier and easier to remember than You Or Me's.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
It really just boils down to preference. It's not something that everyone is going to agree on...and as well we shouldn't. For me I think it's the cheesy keyboard stuff going on in the chorus that ruins it for me in Forsaken. It just sounds so lame and flaccid on a chorus that's already somewhat bland (or mediocre). There are times when I dig the hell out of that same fake string sound. The Underground Railroad's "Through And Through" has a moment near the end of that tune (16+ minute-ish?) which is a perfect example. Kurt Rongey's use of that patch rules there. Love it!  However, I absolutely loathe that same sounding patch in the Forsaken chorus for some reason. It's odd that. Horses for courses I suppose.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »

You Not Me...cool song up until the Desmond Child chorus. The worst chorus in DT’s history, and maybe one of the worst choruses in rock and roll history. A chorus that would have completely derailed a lessor band’s career. (I’m being dramatic but you get the point).

Ok.  You like the song, except for the chorus.

What's the paradox?

You Not Me is significantly better than You or Me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
Most definitely! 
 "Our New World" would be another good one, plus a few more from TA.
Another short and concise song off of TA is My Last Farewell. This song defines what DT is all about in just 3:44.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2020, 12:18:26 PM »

Ok.  You like the song, except for the chorus.

What's the paradox?

You Not Me is significantly better than You or Me.

Paradoxical in that it's a good song, terrible chorus. Okay so maybe its not a TRUE paradox...

The POINT is there have been times when DT struggled with choruses in otherwise good songs, You Not Me being a GREAT example of that.

Also, You or Me is miles better than You Not Me. The You Not Me chorus belongs on a 90s Motley Crue or Ratt album (go figure, it's Desmond Child). Its easily the worst thing DT have ever put on tape. Easily. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
A band making some artistic choices that you disagree with does not mean they "struggled" in that area.  :lol 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
You Not Me is NOT drastically better than You Or Me.

Both are pretty bad, and any difference either way is marginal at best.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2020, 02:27:47 PM »
A band making some artistic choices that you disagree with does not mean they "struggled" in that area.  :lol

To be fair, the band ultimately agreed to retool You or Me into You Not Me under label pressure.   True, in the end the band did ultimately agree to it, so it could be argued that it was "their choice".   But since outsider influence and label pressure was involved, I'm not sure you could say that it was the band's personal original intent in the "artistic choice" department.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
That is all true, but isn't really relevant to the point I was making.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »
Just my 2 cents, but I also like You or Me more than You not Me.  I really like the Collective Soulesque middle part in You or Me.  I don't hate You not Me, I just like the other version better.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »

Fair enough, but in THIS case, you don’t bring in Desmond Child because the writing is going great.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
I'm sure the writing would've been fine without DC.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:12 AM »
"You Or Me" is the writing without DC.

Not great.  But the problem with it isn't "a lack of Desmond Child".

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
That's always been one of the great mysteries of DT's career. Desmond Child writes pretty fucking catchy choruses. But "You Not Me" is just... no.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
"You Or Me" is the writing without DC.

Not great.  But the problem with it isn't "a lack of Desmond Child".

I don't remember saying anything about a problem.