Author Topic: Mike Mangini Question  (Read 2104 times)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Mike Mangini Question
« on: January 07, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
Guys I know I read somewhere (FB, an Interview, somewhere) Mike Mangini saying that he had to play the drums on the self titled album low tuned and that he didn’t like it that way but was somehow forced to come up with the best he could. I just don’t remember where I read it. Any one know what I am talking about? Please!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Mangini Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:01:03 PM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 07:16:11 AM »
Yes. I hope the people who blamed Mangini for that feel regret now that the truth is out. Yes, it doesn't change how the drums sound, but it was nonsense to automatically assume it was Mangini's fault.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 07:39:08 AM »
He said it in his instructional DVD as well (IIRC he wanted to continue using the crackier snare sound, meaning the one in ADTOE, it's his preference and it translates well, but it wasn't his doing)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »
So who asked Mangini to tune down the snare and why did they ask him to do that?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21:08 AM »
Portnoy.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 08:39:15 AM »
So who asked Mangini to tune down the snare and why did they ask him to do that?

What the heck, I'll chime in - my guess is that this request would come from the producer and yes I would think that would be JP. I remember when first heard the opening songs the snare jumped out at me. All I could picture was MM marching in a drum corps from the revolutionary war and his snare sounding like one of those deep toned snares.
But - his snare seemed to have a little more crack on IT and with TA, I thought his snare sounded much better.

As to why he was asked to do this, no clue....

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
I'll watch the DVD again tomorrow and I'll edit his explanantion in here afterwards.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »
IIRC, it was JP (producer) with Rich Chycki (engineer) and Eric Disrude (drum tech) who came up with that low tuned snare sound.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 05:36:50 AM »
I wish his snare sound would just sound like in Xanadu (oh man, when ever I think about something Rush related, I just get sad) or that Into The Great Divide album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:52:16 AM »
I wish his snare sound would just sound like in Xanadu (oh man, when ever I think about something Rush related, I just get sad) or that Into The Great Divide album.

Yeah the snare sound on DT12 sucks so bad, and makes you wonder how much better the album would sound with a proper mix and snare sound. It's not like MM can't sound great, it's just bad production decisions that have caused a lot of controversy and bad impressions on Mike, doesn't do him justice at all.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »

Yeah the snare sound on DT12 sucks so bad, and makes you wonder how much better the album would sound with a proper mix and snare sound. It's not like MM can't sound great, it's just bad production decisions that have caused a lot of controversy and bad impressions on Mike, doesn't do him justice at all.

It would be interesting to hear why they chose that sound. It's quite bad.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 04:18:16 PM »
I think it's a decision made from taste and JP likes processed, "cleaned" drum sounds.

I don't think they add professionalism, if that's the intention. They lack feel and realism, in my opinion.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline qed

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 06:19:22 AM »

The snare sounds great though in HDtracks version.