Author Topic: Allen/Olzon - New album from Russel Allen and Anette Olzon - First single out  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Thrustbucket

"Worlds Apart" Lyric Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfpeafQouno

Out March 6th
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:34:30 AM by Thrustbucket »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It's...okay.  Nothing bad about it, but it didn't exactly grab me either.  Frankly, I thought Allen sounded a bit bland.  For what he was asked to do in this one, it felt to me like they could have used anybody.  I'm not just talking about range--he just didn't really bring anything "special" to the table.  At least, that's how I felt after one listen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm definitely a fan of Annette, this is a solid song.  Looking forward to this album.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I get the feeling this is a prime example of someone trying really hard to write a hit song but it just turns out flat and bland instead or maybe i'm just in a weird mood today, I feel a bit iffy.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I think Frontiers needs a change in management.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I'll give this a listen but this whole "put two people together and market it just because" thing should've stopped with the first Allen-Lande record. Still, I love Anette and I love Russ, so let's do this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
too cookie cutter and cheezy for me,,, trying too hard and being bland is not a good mix
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Art

i'm a big Russell Allen fan, but no. Hard pass.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Magnus is really stuck in his formula of songwriting now.  Seems to have lost a bit of inspiration.  He writes these types of songs in his sleep.  It's a decent enough song but Frontiers have him by the balls and he doesn't challenge himself anymore.  He's using the same guitar tone on every project now too.  I think he just loves getting paid now over creating inspiring music.

I'm surprised Olzen sounds quite good here though so she's no Jorn but this is more Kiske/Sommerville over Allen/Lande.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Magnus is really stuck in his formula of songwriting now.  Seems to have lost a bit of inspiration.  He writes these types of songs in his sleep.  It's a decent enough song but Frontiers have him by the balls and he doesn't challenge himself anymore.  He's using the same guitar tone on every project now too.  I think he just loves getting paid now over creating inspiring music.

I'm surprised Olzen sounds quite good here though so she's no Jorn but this is more Kiske/Sommerville over Allen/Lande.

As soon as I heard the little keyboard intro I knew EXACTLY what was coming with the guitars  :lol

I found it listenable but that's about it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

As soon as I heard the little keyboard intro I knew EXACTLY what was coming with the guitars  :lol

I found it listenable but that's about it.

And then the guitars came in and I had a bit of a chuckle.  Not a bad song by any means just he's done this and the Ferrymen in what 6-8 months say.  That's crazy yet very impressive.

Saying what I said above, my view on the Ferryman was that I thought he had put a little more effort in for that one with some great songs that had glimpses of old Allen/Lande and Last Tribe.

I think he likes writing the heavier stuff now.  Can't knock the direction he's taken Primal Fear though.  Maybe he saves the better stuff for them.  As soon as I saw this one announced, I knew it would be just a paycheck.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Not too bad. Not something I'd drop money on, but I'll give it a good listen on Spotify
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Hopefully it's the worst song on the album. I like the first Allen/Lande, but by the second one I was bored of it, and I don't remember the 3rd one unless that was the Toki Tiki guy, which was crap. Anette is killing it with The Dark Element, and Russell the same with SX, as always. That said, I dont know if it's the mix, but Anette doesn't sound that good here, and Russell is restrained.

Put him with Amanda Somerville, and the guy who wrote the first (and hopefully not the only) Magnificent album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Put him with Amanda Somerville, and the guy who wrote the first (and hopefully not the only) Magnificent album.

Might be mistaken but I think it is in fact that guy who wrote this song, Magnus Karlsson.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Might be mistaken but I think it is in fact that guy who wrote this song, Magnus Karlsson.

I just looked it up. Magnus is nowhere to be found in the credits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

For this one or for The Battle?

Discogs shows Magnus as the songwriter for The Battle. The new one isn't out yet so I don't know, Magnus is sure producing the album and Anette mentioned in an interview that he's "making the songs" which can be interpreted in a few different ways I guess. It's Frontiers so I bet Magnus is in fact the songwriter for this new record.

Also, the song is actually alright. Generic and bland, sure, but not bad.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Discogs shows Magnus as the songwriter for The Battle. The new one isn't out yet so I don't know, Magnus is sure producing the album and Anette mentioned in an interview that he's "making the songs" which can be interpreted in a few different ways I guess. It's Frontiers so I bet Magnus is in fact the songwriter for this new record.

Sorry, I was talking about The Magnificent. I'd like the writing team behind that to team with Somerville and Allen.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Sorry, I was talking about The Magnificent. I'd like the writing team behind that to team with Somerville and Allen.

Oh, I get it now :lol didn't see the upper case M in Magnificent so I just assumed you were a big fan of the first Allen/Lande album. :lol I just woke up so that's probably why.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully it's the worst song on the album. I like the first Allen/Lande, but by the second one I was bored of it, and I don't remember the 3rd one unless that was the Toki Tiki guy, which was crap. Anette is killing it with The Dark Element, and Russell the same with SX, as always. That said, I dont know if it's the mix, but Anette doesn't sound that good here, and Russell is restrained.

Battle is a classic.  The second one is called The Revenge, and it's not far off the Battle quality wise.  Showdown was still Magnus and not as good as the first two but still a good album.  The forth one was Tollki and was horrid.

The Magnificent is a brilliant album though.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Can't help feeling I've heard that somewhere before. Oh yes, I know - every rock song ever in the 80s.

Nice enough, but a pass from me too.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Yea. This feels like the least offensive/lowest common denominator song for these two. Like they were more concerned with not alienating anyone than trying to do something interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
It was definitely a song, that I'm sure of.

Offline Architeuthis

I didn't like it the first listen.  However, I listened to it again through headphones without watching the lyric video and it's actually a pretty cool song!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lowdz

It’s pretty standard Magnus, but that still makes it at least ‘solid’. I thought it was ok, but a bit pointless to put these two together in the first place.

As soon as it started I knew who’d written it.

Offline MirrorMask

I don't really feel a good mix of the two voices.

As much as this is a song by the numbers, I don't mind at all Russell's more clean and melodic approach, we've heard him being a tough guy in enough songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I listened to this last night on my home speakers as opposed to my phone and it sounded a lot better, actually pretty damn good.  Still a Magnus song for the sake of it, but it works.

It’s pretty standard Magnus, but that still makes it at least ‘solid’. I thought it was ok, but a bit pointless to put these two together in the first place.

As soon as it started I knew who’d written it.

I think that's pretty much it hey.  Doesn't make sense, at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Always nice to hear Russell Allen, but I will definitely pass on this one.  It's a solid song but nothing I would revisit.

Offline Peter Mc

It’s fine, I like the guitar in the intro and it’s a perfectly listenable melodic rock song. Nothing special but nothing terrible either.

Offline Fritzinger

Some thoughts: Cool song, nice melody, but nothing special to me either. I just love listening to Russel. The transition into the guitar solo is pretty cool. Not sure though if I'm going to spend money on the album.

Two things I don't understand:
1. Why do modern metal songs always have this weird snare drum sound???  >:(
2. Who designed that hideous cover? That's worse than most Ed Unitsky covers and almost as bad as Pallas' XXV.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Always nice to hear Russell Allen, but I will definitely pass on this one.  It's a solid song but nothing I would revisit.

This

I found it for be 10lbs of meh in a 5lb bucket.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-3epBb7DTs&feature=youtu.be

Another new song, an Allen only song.  Not too bad, a little more creative than the first, but jeez Magnus is literally playing the same licks over and over now.  It's quite funny.  Gone is his very creative lead guitar playing of Last Tribe.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Better than the last song, but standard Frontiers fare. Wrong thread?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh yeah.  But I only posted here because a thread was made.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Oh yeah.  But I only posted here because a thread was made.

You're good. I was joking about my own posting. Nobody understands me. :'(

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's solid  :angel:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au