Author Topic: How will DT react to Neil Peart?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
How will DT react to Neil Peart?
« on: January 16, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
Hey everyone.  With the recent passing of Neil, I started to wonder how DT might react to this considering Rush have been such a giant infuence on them.

They recently covered Xanadu of course, but would they perhaps record another cover or two this year?
Maybe they'll do a few live covers as part of their tour?
Maybe a full album like they have done in the past with other bands?
Maybe something else entirely?
Or will public sentiments be enough?

What do you all think they might do/or you would like to see them do?

I for one would love to see them do a studio cover Tom Sawyer.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline pg1067

Re: How will DT react to Neil Peart?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:31:26 PM »
Hey everyone.  With the recent passing of Neil, I started to wonder how DT might react to this considering Rush have been such a giant infuence on them.

They recently covered Xanadu of course, but would they perhaps record another cover or two this year?
Maybe they'll do a few live covers as part of their tour?
Maybe a full album like they have done in the past with other bands?
Maybe something else entirely?
Or will public sentiments be enough?

What do you all think they might do/or you would like to see them do?

I for one would love to see them do a studio cover Tom Sawyer.

I'm not sure what the third thing in your list refers to.  If you're talking about the "covers" albums they did (e.g., The Number of the Beast and master of Puppets), those days ended when MP left the band.

As for the rest, I don't really see them doing any recording in 2021.  They've got European dates through the end of February, and their web site shows four dates in Japan in May.  I think they're planning on releasing a live album, so who knows?  Maybe they throw in a couple covers.  I'd be shocked if they did anything more than that (and I'd be at least a little surprised if they did that).  If live covers were likely, I think we'd have seen that in the early Euro dates.  They almost played Closer to the Heart, but I'm guessing that's about all we're going to get beyond the already expressed public sentiments from JLB, MM and JP (not sure if JR posted anything, and we're obviously not getting anything from JM).

Keep in mind that several musicians important to DT and/or its members have died over the past several years, and they didn't do anything then, so I think it's pretty unlikely they'll do anything now.  Maybe JR will put out one of his videos, but those are things he does on his own time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:28:52 AM »
They don't have to do anything publicly. I'm sure they, like probably all of us, are deeply upset by the news.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 05:17:19 AM »
They don't have to do anything publicly. I'm sure they, like probably all of us, are deeply upset by the news.
JP definitely was, according to what he tweeted. (which I'm not surprised about), as were MM and Jordan
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:37:54 AM »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »
I guess they will not be buying fireworks and partying.

Joking aside, obviously they will write something on social media and play Rush songs live to homage Neil. Both of which they have already done. But who knows.. maybe they write a new song honoring his memory. I find that very unprobable and think that writing online and covering songs is enough. Not to mention how many times they played Rush covers over the years... so... less is more.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:09 AM »
They did 'Barstool Warrior' and 'S2N' on their last album.  The next one will probably have a couple of Rush influences thrown in as well. 

Something to look forward to.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
lots of good input, thanks!

I guess I should have clarified a little bit better.  This is mostly just fun speculation/fan wish list.  I realize that they may not do anything at all, which is probable.  But Rush have done so many good songs over the years, and DT have great respect for the band and its members, so I thought it would be fun to think about what they might do.

I really like DT's treatment of Xanadu and have listened to it several times after the news broke.  I'd love it if they did something like that again.  Maybe not right away because of their tour and all, but perhaps a cover or two on their next album?  I'd love that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 08:43:08 PM »
That is pretty awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 09:03:47 PM »
Petrucci busted out “Closer to the Heart” at the end of the Amsterdam show but Mangini and LaBrie were clueless. One of those moments when having Mike Portnoy would have come in handy.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 08:28:55 AM »
Petrucci busted out “Closer to the Heart” at the end of the Amsterdam show but Mangini and LaBrie were clueless. One of those moments when having Mike Portnoy would have come in handy.

Considering that the beginning of Closer to the Heart mostly guitar I'm not sure what you would expect. MM and MP don't have the synth triggers that Neil used to use. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
I think it was great that JP threw that in there at the end and it was cool just the way it was.  Brought a smile to my face.  If at some point they decide to prepare a live cover I'd be down for it for sure.  But how it played out at that show was pretty cool.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »
Yesterday, it sounded like Mike Mangini was superimposing various Rush grooves during his Finally Free drum extravaganza.
No, not really, but I think I would've preferred that. He approached that section way, way better on Bt4thW, what on earth happened?
Way to strangle a perfectly good song there, Mike.

It was a killer show otherwise.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 01:07:54 AM »

Considering that the beginning of Closer to the Heart mostly guitar I'm not sure what you would expect. MM and MP don't have the synth triggers that Neil used to use.

I mean Mangini was still in At Wits End mode halfway through and LaBrie shouts “what the fuck are we doing??” Ehhh

Offline Volante99

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 01:21:59 AM »
Yesterday, it sounded like Mike Mangini was superimposing various Rush grooves during his Finally Free drum extravaganza.
No, not really, but I think I would've preferred that. He approached that section way, way better on Bt4thW, what on earth happened?

I’m probably going to catch a lot of heat for this but I’ll say it; I never thought what MP did in that section on Live Scenes was overly spectacular (Cool moment but maybe overhyped a bit). But I CANNOT stand how MM plays that outro. He’s all over the place, it sounds completely random, even the rest of the band struggles to find the beat/tempo. But most importantly it just doesn’t sound good.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 04:07:20 AM »

I’m probably going to catch a lot of heat for this but I’ll say it; I never thought what MP did in that section on Live Scenes was overly spectacular (Cool moment but maybe overhyped a bit). But I CANNOT stand how MM plays that outro. He’s all over the place, it sounds completely random, even the rest of the band struggles to find the beat/tempo. But most importantly it just doesn’t sound good.

Okay! Different people, different likes. I thought it was pretty awesome this polyrythmic approach. Yes it sounds very out of control. But it was controlled (adam show)

Offline Bentower

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 05:21:29 AM »
Perfectly controlled, sure (thanks to the click-track),  but I don't feel that's the appropriate spot to get as complicated as humanly possible. It was jarringly unmusical to my ears and took me right out of the song. But then again, that outro was laid down as the spot for MP to show-off and this then highlights the differences between the two players' approach and abilities. I'm absolutely certain I dug that particular part of the show better 20 years ago.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 07:17:17 AM »

I mean Mangini was still in At Wits End mode halfway through and LaBrie shouts “what the fuck are we doing??” Ehhh

I didn't catch that the first time, but did the second time.  Very odd that the whole band wasn't aware that JP was going to do that nod to Rush there at the end.  Had they been, having JLB say, "What the fuck are we doing?" over the microphone could have been avoided.  Maybe JP decided to do that on the fly there, which is why the others were caught off guard.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
JLB should not have used the f word in that moment, even if it took him by surprise.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 08:18:50 AM »
It's very much like JLB to drop F bombs at shows, so that doesn't surprise me.  However, it seems uncharacteristic of JP to do something like that on a whim and leave everyone else hanging, including the audience.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
I know this will come off like picking nits, but if the band was going to do a musical tribute to Neil Peart, rather than JP playing an Alex Lifeson guitar lead and no one else in the band playing anything related to the Rush song, wouldn't it have made more sense to do a section featuring either a classic Neil drum part or a Neil lyric? 

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
That would be very cool.  I'd love it if either MM did a cover of one of his classic drum solos, or the band playing a song with one of his lyrics, that would be epic!  I think that's a really great idea.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 05:56:45 AM »
That would be very cool.  I'd love it if either MM did a cover of one of his classic drum solos, or the band playing a song with one of his lyrics, that would be epic!  I think that's a really great idea.
I'd prefer MM not covering Neil's solos, rather them playing a piece with his lyrics (which they did with Xanadu, but the more the merrier right?)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »
I know this will come off like picking nits, but if the band was going to do a musical tribute to Neil Peart, rather than JP playing an Alex Lifeson guitar lead and no one else in the band playing anything related to the Rush song, wouldn't it have made more sense to do a section featuring either a classic Neil drum part or a Neil lyric?

Perhaps, but for me, Neil comes under the Rush umbrella.  That doesn't mean I dismiss the total package of what he did in the context of the band or that his identity gets lost in that context but I consider any three of them to be Rush.

That's how the band was formed and maintained over the years. And I know it's a small thing but that's how I view it. They've always had that all for one and one for all vibe.

Any work away from that would certainly be different. The tributes and guest appearances are a different thing and the smaller proportion of fans that might be familiar with it might preclude something like that anyway.