Author Topic: Doom metal  (Read 1593 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Doom metal
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
I couldn't find any specific doom metal thread, so I thought I'd make one.  Mainly because I checked this new song out from My Dying Bride.   I've seen the name before but never heard any of their music.  Anyway a new album coming out and this song is absolutely brilliant.  Great variation between the vocals and nice strings too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DI7447ia0

Another unknown Doom band I discovered are called Crypt Sermon.  Their 2019 release was excellent.  Here's a song from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9KCR5HifTw
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Doom metal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:53:32 PM »
Candlemass!   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
Sorcerer's last album "The Crowning of the Fire King." Avatarium's newest album "The Fire I Long For."

Not even a doom metal fan myself (well, from all I've heard) but those two records - holy sheet!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
Doom metal overlaps a bit with some occult / retro bands for which I made a thread some time ago.

Candlemass basically invented the modern conception of that genre, and Avatarium were born as a side project of Candlemass' bassist and leader. If you don't know them, absolutely check their debut album and especially the song Moonhorse.

If you want some STRONG Sabbath vibes, check also Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, the song Death's Door should give an idea of their sound.

If you like Avatarium and the retro sound of Uncle Acid, you might want as well to check Blood Ceremony, the bastard child of Jethro Thull and Black Sabbath, even though we might be floating here towards more the hard rock side of things than the plodding and menacing pace of doom metal.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 03:46:50 PM »
Sorcerer's last album "The Crowning of the Fire King." Avatarium's newest album "The Fire I Long For."

Not even a doom metal fan myself (well, from all I've heard) but those two records - holy sheet!

Brent sent me that Sorcerer in my roulette and that album too is freaking amazing.  They are quite similar to the Crypt Sermon.

I should check Avatarium.  I don't think I've ever heard anything from them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »

Brent sent me that Sorcerer in my roulette and that album too is freaking amazing.  They are quite similar to the Crypt Sermon.

I should check Avatarium.  I don't think I've ever heard anything from them.

Yes you have - podcast  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 06:07:16 PM »
Yeah I know I heard a song from them from you as it was one of your top albums I think for the year, but I don't remember a thing about it haha.

The Sorcerer though gets spins from me, that's a killer album.

I just listened to the Crypt Sermon again too.  I really like these guys.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
I have had Crypt Sermon sitting around for months and months unlistened to - like truckloads of others.  I am reasonably up to date with sampling/tracking down the best albums - just can't find the time to listen to full albums.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
I have had Crypt Sermon sitting around for months and months unlistened to - like truckloads of others.  I am reasonably up to date with sampling/tracking down the best albums - just can't find the time to listen to full albums.

It's well worth a listen mate.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:05:40 PM »
I'm not a big doom fan, but a band that I really like is Solitude Aeturnus. I'm not sure if they're together anymore, but I discovered them in the early 90's. My favorite albums from them are Alone and Before the Crimson Horizon.

On a side note, I read somewhere that the singer spent a few years in Candlemass, but I'm not sure if he recorded with them or not.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 04:14:37 AM »
I'm not a big doom fan, but a band that I really like is Solitude Aeturnus. I'm not sure if they're together anymore, but I discovered them in the early 90's. My favorite albums from them are Alone and Before the Crimson Horizon.

On a side note, I read somewhere that the singer spent a few years in Candlemass, but I'm not sure if he recorded with them or not.

That name was familiar so had a look and Rob Lowe is that singer.  He sung on 3 albums with Candlemass.

Offline Art

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 04:53:06 AM »
Crypt Sermon is awesome.  :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
Shape Of Despair - super heavy, slow atmospheric doom, who had the former Amorphis vocalist (Pasi) onboard for a couple of albums.

Offline emtee

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »
High On Fire should be on everyone's list to
check out.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
I love doom metal. I prefer doom over thrash metal.

Essential doom metal stuff:
Candlemass - first 4 albums
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (one of the heaviest albums ever recorded!) and Come My Fanatics
Trouble - Psalm 9
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus; Born Too Late
Solitude Aeturnus - Into the Depths of Sorrow; Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
Solstice - New Dark Age

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »
High On Fire should be on everyone's list to
check out.

Blessed Black Wings is a brilliant album.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 02:48:35 PM »
For some reason I've been relistening to some old Catherdral records this last week or so. I'm also getting around to checking out some of their newer albums I'd not listened to. I have been listening to them, on and off, for at least 13 years or so. Weird how bands creep back into your subconscious and demand you listen to them. Literally couldn't tell you were the urge to listen to them came from! Must have read something about them somewhere  ???

Any fans? (WildRanger, I see you are)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 03:04:17 PM »
I think I own one Cathedral album.  Can't tell you a thing about it though.  I'll add to the list to find the CD and give it a spin.

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »
Oh yeah i like me some Doom metal and My Dying Bride is my most favourite band.Feel the misery was a perfect album the new one ghost of orion i feel is some kind of filler album with a few good songs.Not bad but not as good as others like The angel and the dark river or Like gods of the sun,Song of darkness words of light

Old Anathema -Crestfallen

Back in the day i also liked Cathederal Forest of equilibrium and Etereal mirror two great releases recently re-issued on vinyl

And of course Trouble with Trouble or Manic frustration and Psalm 9

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »
The only My Dying Bride album I have is the new one and I really really like it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
There's a newish Scottish band called King Witch who are fucking great in this category. They pump my nads hard.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 04:57:58 PM »
There's a newish Scottish band called King Witch who are fucking great in this category. They pump my nads hard.

Damn, bro, that's good shit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »

Wow!  I need to check out some more of these guys after sampling one song.  I love it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »

Noted.  Will check.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:24:20 PM »
I don't think I've ever listened to any doom metal.  But I think I will try out some of the suggestions mentioned here this week while I'm working.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 11:33:43 PM »
I don't think I've ever listened to any doom metal.  But I think I will try out some of the suggestions mentioned here this week while I'm working.
How about Black Sabbath? They are the Grandfathers of Doom metal.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 12:08:36 AM »
How about Black Sabbath? They are the Grandfathers of Doom metal.

Sure.  You are talking about songs like Black Sabbath?  That's one of my favorites of theirs.  I guess I just don't think of them as a doom metal band.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 06:10:22 AM »

I sampled one song.  Didn't really dig it unfortunately.

Online Grappler

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
This thread has me going back through all of the Solitude Aeturnus records.  I discovered Robert Lowe when he joined Candlemass and then went back to this band to lsiten to his prior work.  What an amazing vocalist!

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
I'm going to give Candlemass a try.

Didn't listen to doom since the nineties when I was really into Paradise Lost with Icon en Shades of God.
It started again with Swallow the Sun's latest release which was my favorite 2019 release.

Favorite doombands right now:
Swallow the Sun - When a Shadow is Forced Into The Light is a deeply emotional masterpiece inspired by the death of Juha Raivio's (band leader) wife. His side project Hallatar deels with the raw emotion shortly after her death and is a heartbreaking example of funeral doom featuring Tomi Joutsen on vocals.

Draconian - the combination of harsh male vocals and the beautiful female vocals combined with those guitar leads :heart

Paradise Lost

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »
The latest Candlemass was fucking excellent.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
Swallow the Sun are awesome, my fave doom band, highly recommended.