Author Topic: Entering the rabbit hole of retro rock / occult bands.  (Read 928 times)

Online MirrorMask

Entering the rabbit hole of retro rock / occult bands.
« on: August 10, 2019, 04:33:29 AM »
So, I remembered one time I've listened on YouTube on a weird song, something astral something, which could be generally described as "Like Ghost, but more retro and with a female singer".

I didn't really found results on YouTube so I did some googling, and stumbled upon a page that suggested other bands besides Ghost for that occult / '70's vibe:

https://thegreatsouthernbrainfart.com/?p=12648

Ok, the guy doesn't like Ghost but that's beside the point - the point is that the suggestions in that page are all damn good and so I've spent quite some late hours listening to those suggestions!

Out of the list I particularly reccomend:

- Goodbye Gemini by Blood Ceremony, great song all around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRJwTS_2M5M

- The song I was actually looking for, Astral Sabbat by Jenny and the Ancient Ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgWxb1bXkE

- And, saving the best for last.... AVATARIUM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWuGTYiQs8U

This song is amazing! It starts out with a very strong Sabbath vibe, then suddenly takes a melodic turn (with a female singer) into almost folkish, pyschedelic territories, and then with a riff that's basically half made up by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath launches into a section where you could almost imagine Ronnie James Dio singing those weird and strange lyrics. Awesome stuff and I'm listening right now to their album, it's a bit samey but it has a very great atmosphere. Highly recommended for all those interested in this kind of music with Sabbath / Floyd / sometimes prog sometimes '70s rock vibe!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Entering the rabbit hole of retro rock / occult bands.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 05:56:56 AM »
What about Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls by Coven?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 06:35:47 AM »
I really enjoy Avatarium's self-titled, thanks to Jon for sending Moonhorse in one of my roulettes. The second one isn't as strong I think, although I have it and should probably revisit it. Haven't checked out the third one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »

Listening now.... so in 1969 already there was a band with those titles and themes? and a song was called Black Sabbath? and in another one there's "raining blood" in the lyrics? unreal!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
So, I went further a bit down the hole.... now this kind of music is kinda my main musical attraction at the moment! when you start to get into it, there's really a word that opens up....

Some more elaborations / suggestions:

As previously said, Moonhorse is really a nice song and the debut album (self titled) is a strong doom metal album with Dio-esque and Rainbow-esque influences here and there.

With time they moved slowly away from the doom thing, and if someone likes the first album like Evermind, might not like the other two. I think the second album opens however with a very strong trio of songs, such as the fast title track, (The) Girl with the Raven Mask, the moody and melanchonic The January Sea and the equally somber Pearls and Coffins (the doom version of Diamonds and Rust?  ;D )

The third album is more modern and direct, but you'll find nice songs here and there regardless of the genre, such as the eerie Medusa Child (which in reality lasts 9 minutes, the second half is all instrumental).

Now they'll have a fourth album out in November, let's hope it's good!

BLOOD CEREMONY

While I like Avatarium, now this is where things get really retro and occult. The sound is very old school, and the main difference from the other bands is the strong presence of a flute, played by the female vocalist. They're great at creating a mood, an atmosphere; not all the songs are mindblowing so I'd have difficulty in suggesting an album that's strong from start to finish; for sure one should start from the most recent ones, The Eldritch Dark and Lord of Misrule, but to get an idea of the band I'll suggest some kind of songs here and there:

- As "singles", songs direct and to the point, the aforementioned Goodbye Gemini and the title track of the last album;
- As haunting, slow and moody atmospheric pieces, the acoustic and folksy Lord Summerisle and The Weird of Finistere;
- As "epic" songs with solos that go on and on, The Great God Pan (half the song is instrumental) and the 10 minutes long Daughter of the Sun.

They played 15 minutes away from me a couple of years ago, I found out.... if only I had discovered them sooner!

LUCIFERIAN LIGHT ORCHESTRA

I already knew about them, but it's worth mentioning them in the genre. Side project of the mastermind of Therion (a band that would deserve a whole topic about it!), once again it mixes mainly female vocals with weird occult lyrics and a retro, '70s vibe. It's a fun little album that flows away quite nicely so you might as well check it all out, but it's worth mentioning from the follow up EP the melodic and hypnotical Where the Lilies Grow!

THE DEVIL'S BLOOD

Dutch band that split up after three albums. Here we go a bit off the rails when it comes to the lyrics and the "crazy" atmosphere, just know they have a song called Christ or Cocaine  :lol (the lyrics make sense however, talking about being stoned and not knowing what is reality and what is induced by drugs)

They don't shun away either from long songs, such as the 11 minutes of The Anti Kosmik Magick (told you that the titles were wacky) or the 9 minutes of The Thousandfold Epicentre.

And going definitively for the crazy vibe...

THE NEPTUNE POWER FEDERATION

Just found out about them, they come from Australia and the singer presents herself as "mperial Priestess Screaming Loz Sutch", just to give an idea of how the crazy can be strong in this subgenre  :lol the song Watch our Masters Bleed is worth checking, it's not even that insane of a song considering the name of the band and the singer (google her to find out how she dresses on stage).

And next on my list of bands to explore more....

UNCLE ACID AND THE DEADBEAST

This time it's a guy singing, and they seem straight out of Black Sabbath's next door where they heard the four guys jamming and started to go after them musically. I heard some songs here and there, a very Sabbat-ish song to give an idea is I'll Cut you Down.

So, in conclusion, right now I'm definitively in the mood for some retro rock / metal music, and the coming of the dark time of the year will help even more with the atmosphere. I'm sure there are more bands out there in this style and probably these ones aren't even the best, but if at the end of the month you'll want an Halloween-ish playlist, you'll know where to pick from!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »

Listening now.... so in 1969 already there was a band with those titles and themes? and a song was called Black Sabbath? and in another one there's "raining blood" in the lyrics? unreal!

...and the bass player's name was Oz Osborne.

Regarding Blood Ceremony, they put on a fucking amazing show. They opened for Ghost in 2012 and it was the perfect pairing. I later saw them tour with a band called Kylesa, also cool but not retro nor occult. The great thing about Blood Ceremony live is, besides their musicianship being top notch, they don't overdue it with the organic stuff. It is all very natural.

Surprised nobody has brought up Black Widow!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
I really enjoy Avatarium's self-titled, thanks to Jon for sending Moonhorse in one of my roulettes. The second one isn't as strong I think, although I have it and should probably revisit it. Haven't checked out the third one.

And also thanks to Evermind for sending Moonhorse to me in my last roulette. Great song, the one that turned me onto Avatarium, and has stuck in my mind since. Still have to get around to listening to their albums, but this one I remember, and it's a damn good one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 06:18:45 AM »
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Moonhorse is the song that draws everybody in. The mix of doom metal and Rainbow-esque atmosphere (in the middle section that starts with a very Sabbath Bloody Sabbath-ish riff I swear I can picture Dio singing it so clearly) is something to behold.

The first album is more or less like that, with many slow or plodding songs with abstract fantasy themes. The other ones take a more straightforward approach, they move away from doom metal but still keep the quality up. It's a weird mix of styles to describe, they either lure you in or they don't, but if they do, you have yourself a band that does stuff not predictable with the added bonus of a great voice. Just don't expect doom metal anymore from them.

Surprised nobody has brought up Black Widow!

I must have see them mentioned here and there... gonna put them on my watchlist then, thanks!

And I'm glad to see some appreciation for Blood Ceremony, nice that you managed to see them live! but if they toured Europe before I guess they'll have no problems to do it again.

And the funniest thing is that the band that started my appreciation of an entire sub-genre (Jess and the Ancient Ones, all I wanted was to find out a song that I liked on YouTube), is a band I haven't listened to yet  :biggrin: eventually I'll listen to them as well.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 07:17:22 AM »
As a partial companion to the Doom metal thread, I bounce this up since I've went further down the hole, and discovered some other bands that I think are worth mentioning.

Here are some fun bands to listen if you're in the mood to praise Satan and eat mushrooms like if you were in the 1970s:

LUCIFER

Not terribly creative name aside, they're a quite fun hard rock band, not too heavy, but with many memorable hooks and with a good female singer, Johanna Sadonis. They have three albums so far, each named numerically in Led Zeppelin style, and the latest one, Lucifer III is probably the most mature one, nothing to write home about but there are plenty of cool songs, such as the lead single, Midnight Phantom, which has a cool "Abba meets Satan" vibe.

The songs are short and catchy, sometimes derivative (you can remember Locomotive Breath in the opening track Ghosts, and don't let the temptation to sing "In the misty morning, at the age of time" put you off from the MAGNIFICENT Dreamer) and sometimes a bit darker and heavier (As in the doomy Faux Pharaoh, or the first song of the first album, Abacadabra.

YEAR OF THE GOAT

These guys come from Sweden, meaning that Ghost is not the only band from there that can dabble with occult rock.

Definitively heavier than Lucifer, they have a cool and interesting mix of metal, doom, hard rock and of course the occult themes.

I consider their latest album, Novis Orbis Terrarum Ordinis which is a concept or themed album about the capital sins, their most mature and compelling yet; the lead single Avaritia would have been a hit if made by Ghost, and there's plenty of good and also catchy stuff like Superbia or Luxuria.

The previous albums are darker and more raw, but there's a lot of good stuff in there; check for example the doomy and sinister mini epic Riders of Vultures, the shorter and faster The Key and the Gate or, from the debut, another "If Ghost would have done this, everyone would sing it" kind of song, I'll Die for You.

There are also several long songs here and there, like the 13 minutes of All He Has Read or the 10 of Angels Necropolis.

The singer's voice is quite good and they have a nice variety of fast songs, easier ones and slower and doomy pieces, I'd suggest to check the latest album and then work backwards!

JESS AND THE ANCIENT ONES

The ones that started it all! the one whose songs I couldn't remember, made me google "bands that sound like Ghost" and make me discover a whole sub-genre!

Don't make the mistake of judging them by the silly name or that single song that made me assume they were a female version of Ghost, the anyway great Astral Sabbat; they are far more diverse, interesting and melodic than I dared to hope for!

Yes, you can call them "psychedelic retrņ rock", but there's a strong diversity in their songs. They can write concise and relatively fast stuff, like Prayer for Death and Fire or In Levitating Secret Dreams, but they can really become evocative on the longer tracks: from the self titled debut album, which is to me their best, you can check both Sulfur Giants (12 minutes) and Crimson Death (11 minutes), both impressive tracks that take you on a journey.

Relatively shorter but absolutely great is Crossroad Lightning, one of my very favorites, and on an EP that contains just three songs, the one named after the aforementioned Astral Sabbat, we have the 15 minutes of another great song, More than Living.

They really surprised with their mix of diverse influence: classic rock, doomy vibes, psychedelic stuff, and a lot of melody. Eclectic and highly recomended on a prog forum!

=====

I know they're all fairly recent bands and that I haven't worked my way yet up to the true forefathers of the genre, but these three bands have joined my absolute favorites of the genre, Avatarium and Blood Ceremony, in providing me my fix of (supposedly) "ancient" music that praises mental trips and the dark lord Satan!