Author Topic: The Official Porcupine Tree Thread - In Absentia Deluxe Ed. due Feb. 21, 2020  (Read 4353 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Futile, Drown With Me and Orchidia are the best. Chloroform is okay but it’s gotten kinda boring for me, and Collapse is hardly even its own song - just an alternate verse for Collapse The Light Into Earth.

Haven’t even heard those other two.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Considering Blackfield is probably my favorite Steven Wilson project at this point (the rest haven't aged as well for me) I definitely hold a special place in my heart for Vapour Trail Lullaby which is basically the 'demo' version for Lullaby by Blackfield and I like it a lot. Drown With Me really should have been on the album IMO, it's better than any song on the album bar Trains for me. Chloroform is a great atmospheric piece though I think would have dragged a bit on the album possibly, Futile is a pretty solid rocker that could have taken a spot on the album as well IMO.

Online faizoff

The In Absentia deluxe edition release has been pushed back a week now.

https://twitter.com/burningshednews/status/1229349548314824704?s=19
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
It's funny. In the time I started this thread until now, I had a change of heart and cancelled my pre-order. I bought the LP remaster from a few years ago, and obviously I have the original CD (and the bonus tracks from Futile). As much as I would like this, 100 bucks seems a bit steep. Unlike a lot of diehards, I'm not big on the 5.1 remix and all that.   :lol

Maybe it'll go on sale at some point.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online faizoff

I'm going to cancel my pre-order, I'll be out of town for a while and will order it again once I get back. I am really looking forward to listening to the bluray audio.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
What's everybody's thoughts about The Incident?

I never not liked it, but Its not something that I find myself returning to often. From time to time I throw it on and enjoy it. Its got some very solid parts and other parts feel a little disjointed. I drive the Hearse is one of my favorite PT songs though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
It's not bad and has some great material, but overall it feels a bit flat and uninspired, and in retrospect it's not surprising Steven decided to put PT on hold after this, as Grace for Drowning felt a lot less mechanical.

Bonnie the Cat is still pretty sick, though.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
It's very middle-of-the road. It has a very good atmosphere but a lot of the songs just aren't there.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline jammindude

It's very middle-of-the road. It has a very good atmosphere but a lot of the songs just aren't there.

Pretty much this.   Although every time I go back and revisit it, I find myself thinking that it's better than I remember it being.  But all the other albums are so much better that I have a difficult time putting it on the playlist.   

The last time I heard it was when I was listening to the Octane Twisted live album.   I think I might like the live version a bit better.   And the Russia on Ice/Pills I'm Taking section is freakin awesome...plus you get the full version of Even Less.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...

I never not liked it, but Its not something that I find myself returning to often. From time to time I throw it on and enjoy it. Its got some very solid parts and other parts feel a little disjointed. I drive the Hearse is one of my favorite PT songs though.

It continues to be my least favorite of the latter era PT albums, but it has grown on me more over the years.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Trailer for the documentary!https://youtu.be/VqyRax0aT8U

Offline jammindude

At the 0:24 mark....is that JR sitting in a chair behind SW???
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

At the 0:24 mark....is that JR sitting in a chair behind SW???

Yes, it was him. Interesting...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I still love it.  Granted, I like most of the other PT studio albums more than it, but I still love most of it.  I Drive the Hearse and Bonnie the Cat are top 20 PT songs in my book, and most of the rest is killer as well. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Loved it as well.  The tour was amazing as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

I was at that tour too, in Leipzig. But SW and the whole band didn't convince me... SW seemed to be in a bad mood and there was not a lot of communication on stage.
any rock can be made to roll

Online faizoff

I listened to the Incident yesterday after such a long time and had forgotten how great the production was on it. I love the tones of the guitar and the spatial soundstage. Great atmosphere and sounds even more amazing on a good pair of headphones.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
I listened to the Incident yesterday after such a long time and had forgotten how great the production was on it. I love the tones of the guitar and the spatial soundstage. Great atmosphere and sounds even more amazing on a good pair of headphones.
very much so yes, it's one of my personal favourites by Steven in any capacity and one of my four favourites by PT (all Gavin-era albums are, Deadwing is my alltime favourite by them)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Interesting. I always assumed and read that there was a lot of tension in the group at that time and if I remember did Gavin's mom die right before the tour? I may be misremembering, but I remember a lot of people feeling like that was the end of PT just from how the group came off during that tour. Happy that you had a great time at your show. Sadly, they didn't come to Minnesota that tour.

I really actually like The Incident. The concept does nothing for me, but the songs are great. I really love Blind House, Time Flies (that middle section!), Octane Twisted, I Drive The Hearse, Kneel and Disconnect, and The Incident. Bonnie the Cat as well. In retrospect, it may feel a bit uninspired, but I couldn't and still can't listen to Grace For Drowning, so this had to hold me until TRTRTS in 2013
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Only saw them once and the was for The Incident tour.

SW was pretty pissed because there was a lot of technically problems, like he broke a string on the first note of the very first song, and then there was weird feedback and cutting in and out with the bass, and then he was given a guitar and the capo was in the wrong spot so he's stops the song and is like "wow, this guitar is completely out of tune"

So because of all that, it was hard to tell if the tension was just from the technical problems though. The Incident song live was start and stop, and disjointed due to said technical problems so it was a chore honestly, but the 2nd half of the concert was fucking incredible. Seeing Anesthetize live was one of my all time greatest concert experiences.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I have also only seen them once on tour with Coheed and Cambria. We got half of The Incident, and songs I really enjoy plus my favorite, The Start of Something Beautiful. The Pills I'm Taking section was amazing as well, glad we at least got that part, which kicked ass live.

On another kind of related note, During the Queensryche tour, it was neat hearing all of Anesthetize on the PA before Fates Warning came on stage.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

Anyone get their copy?
Mine is in transit from Burning Shed England to Australia, might be at least another week or so.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I was hoping the price at Amazon would drop below $99 but it never did and now they don't even have it in stock anymore. The price just scared me off. I could still buy from Burning Shed but it would be about the same cost after shipping.

EDIT: Honestly, I think the thing should be more around $50 rather than $100. I think they are using the 100 page book as an excuse for the inflated price.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

I was hoping the price at Amazon would drop below $99 but it never did and now they don't even have it in stock anymore. The price just scared me off. I could still buy from Burning Shed but it would be about the same cost after shipping.

EDIT: Honestly, I think the thing should be more around $50 rather than $100. I think they are using the 100 page book as an excuse for the inflated price.

Yeah it's a pretty hefty price alright, cost me just over A$150 inc shipping to Australia.
But the most annoying thing was burning shed's website, prices outside EU should be less UK VAT (Tax), normally everything they sell is, except for this release.

Offline Ben_Jamin

From their Facebook:

"We have launched a Bandcamp page at porcupinetreeofficial.bandcamp.com where you can listen and download full resolution recordings of rare and unreleased rarities from beyond our core record label releases. This has been a long time in the planning, and we do apologise for the poor timing, as we know this is a very difficult time for everyone, including us as musicians and our families. The upshot is that we have decided to go ahead and make the page live now as planned, but point out that there's absolutely no rush to avail yourself of its contents, it will be around indefinitely and we aim to add more music to it over the coming months. In the meantime, if you are stuck at home and do feel like some extra-curricular PT music, here it is!"

Some good stuff on here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I listened to Lightbulb Sun today for the first time in a while, crazy how this album is 20 years old. Something that's weird for me with PT and SW right now is despite him being among my favorite artists overall, I'm not sure if any specific album would rank in my ~top50 albums or so. Most of them are great, some even fantastic, and I guess if anything the consistency and continued quality from SW through his whole career if what I really treasure. There's been bands or artists that have dropped maybe 1 album I would consider better than anything SW has done - but on the flip side they have either crashed and burned or gone completely off the rails afterwards. His career to me is full of 8 or 9 / 10 albums which is incredible considering how much he has released!

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I had a different interesting realization about the PT discography: with the exception of The Incident, each one of their albums might be better than the one before it. Signify, Stupid Dream and The Incident are all very close together to me and I'm not quite sure how I'd rank those, but for everything else it's a completely linear progression of them getting better and better up to FOABP. Thought that was pretty neat, I can't really think of any other bands who had that trajectory while also having that many releases.

Offline Ben_Jamin

XM II is amazing. It sounds as if it's live in the studio.

It's weird hearing John sing Fadeaway.

Offline DTA

I had a different interesting realization about the PT discography: with the exception of The Incident, each one of their albums might be better than the one before it. Signify, Stupid Dream and The Incident are all very close together to me and I'm not quite sure how I'd rank those, but for everything else it's a completely linear progression of them getting better and better up to FOABP. Thought that was pretty neat, I can't really think of any other bands who had that trajectory while also having that many releases.

I thought Deadwing was a step down from IA. And that Signify was the blueprint for the PT sound until IA came along with SD and LS being much less interesting and adventurous than what came before. But they truly have no mediocre albums, every single one (besides OTSOL) is at least very good.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:21:13 PM by DTA »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I don't even think OTSOL is that bad honestly. The biggest issues is the vocals which sounds like SW inhaled helium balloons before recording and just the lo-fi nature of the album itself. Songs like Nostalgia Factory, Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats are great and it would be fun to hear those re-recorded I suppose. For example the live versions of Radioactive Toy are pretty great!

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I've gone back and forth between liking IA and Deadwing more - they're both great but Deadwing gets the nod from me because while IA has higher highs Deadwing is more consistent and works better as a cohesive album.

Offline Fritzinger

I always had a problem with the drumming on Deadwing, but by now I've not only learned to accept, but to appreciate it. Gavin's playing is soo driving and impulsive. It feels like every time he hits a drum, he hits a tenth of a millisecond "too" early. Gives off a relentless feeling and contributes brilliantly to the dark feeling of the album. Amazing drummer.

Speaking of Gavin: I just purchased Cheating The Polygraph, his solo album, on which he covers PT songs with a big band.

Guys. You have to listen to that album. It's crazy.
any rock can be made to roll

Online faizoff

This thing is still over $90 on amazon and with shipping comes to about the same from burning shed.

Was also reading how the initial pressings had a missing stereo mix on the bluray. Still debating on getting this for that price.

Offline goo-goo

This thing is still over $90 on amazon and with shipping comes to about the same from burning shed.

Was also reading how the initial pressings had a missing stereo mix on the bluray. Still debating on getting this for that price.

It's a beautiful package. The documentary on how they recorded In Absentia is worth that by itself in opinion. The new master is pretty nice. However, the surround sound stuff is the same as the DVDA released back in the day.

If you get it from Amazon or another outfit (different from Burning Shed), you have to email Kscope for a replacement BR. If you order it from Burninshed, they ship it with the replacement blu ray already.