Author Topic: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
Well, it's official:

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-inductees

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

Not sure I would have voted for any of those acts.   

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:21:57 PM »
NiN for sure. Super influential.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »
Judas and Soundgarden left off again
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
Im fine with the Doobies and NIN
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »
Run DMC and Public Enemy got in before The Doobie Brothers?

Cool that NIN is getting inducted as well as Depeche Mode (My roommate in college thought it was pronounced De-Petch-Eh Mode, like it was an Italian Painter...) Kinda shocked that Judas Priest got snubbed this year. But the Rock Hall has always been kind of a joke

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
When it comes to wanting to rock 'n roll, Whitney, Depeche Mode, and The Notorious B.I.G. are always near the of my play lists :facepalm:

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
Well, it's official:

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-inductees

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

lol wut?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »
The annual Priest snub gets funnier with each passing year
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »
Yay for Depeche Mode and NIN, but Judas Priest snubbed again? :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »
The Dave Mathews Band won the Fan Vote and didn't get in.

Pat Benatar finished 2nd and didn't get in.

Jon Landau is in charge of the Nominating Committee, which likely had a lot to do with how and he goes in under the Ahmet Ertegun award as a Successful manager, lol.

that being said, Whitney Houston going in I am happy to see, maybe as much as it will finally allow more enormous selling pop artists  like George Michael and Phil Collins to finally get in (Janet Jackson getting in last year also helped).

The Doobie Brothers and a reunion with Michael McDonald, I am also happy to see.

Depeche Mode as well, although like The Cure, they and The Cure should never have gotten in before Duran Duran.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:14:58 PM »
NIN?? Really?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
Not sure why they bother having a fan vote if they are going to ignore Dave Matthews Band, a very deserving band regardless, winning it in a landslide.

Not that I am a big Pat Benatar fan, but I can't believe she still didn't make it. 

And nothing screams rock and roll like the pop fluff that Whitney Houston always released. :lol :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »
NIN?? Really?

YOU'RE. SO. OLD!!  :lol I don't even like them much but they're massively influential and a huge name, they deserve it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
I really can't care about this anymore, every year it becomes more and more of a joke.  Just rename it the music hall of fame and all is good.  But this is not rock and rolll nor reflective of it in general.  Ignoring the fan vote really pisses me off.  I'm no DMB fan but they are worthy and if the committee gives the fans the finger well, I'm done caring about it. (I don't think I ever cared)  I don't think I even want to comment on anything related to this hall anymore.  Its a big FU to rock fans and rock bands at this point.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »
What a joke.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
Just rename it the music hall of fame and all is good.  But this is not rock and rolll nor reflective of it in general. . . .  Its a big FU to rock fans and rock bands at this point.

Pretty much, since they seem hell bent on inducting multiple non-rock & roll acts every year.

That Whitney Houston gets in but Pat Benatar isn't might be the biggest crock of shit since I don't even know when.

Rap acts get in every year, but highly influential metal bands don't get a sniff...
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
Lets start out own DTF Rock n Roll Hall of Fame!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 01:49:39 AM »
Simple solution here: Change the name of the establishment to Music Hall of Fame. Stops this annual parade of whinging.

And those who moan about this are often unable to back up their complaints by offering genuine solutions on how to fix it, ie. how to honour the greatest musicians of our time.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 03:32:03 AM »
I get that the R&RHOF is a commercial enterprise in the business of making money, but really?

Pat Benatar was on the shortlist, and came second in the public vote behind Dave Matthews Band. She should also have been inducted years ago.

The sooner they rename this the Hip-Hop Hall of Fame the better - then they can induct all the Hip-Hop stars they like and continue to ignore rock music.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 03:43:32 AM »
Don't really care for any of these artists so see you guys in other threads  :smiley:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline faizoff

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 07:13:47 AM »
Haha this thread has the exact type of responses I expected. Here's an interview with Trent Reznor on getting the nomination, it's an interesting read from how he used to never care for it to coming around it and now being happy to be inducted.

Standout tidbit

For so long, the Hall of Fame seemed to strongly favor guitar-based bands and they seemed to look down on groups that used synthesizers.Yeah. I would hope that’s the case. And there’s the inclusion of some hip-hop acts. To me, it’s the spirit of rock and roll. That doesn’t mean it has to be guitar/bass/drums. It can be a turntable, a computer, a synthesizer, sequencer. They are all tools. It’s the spirit of expression and, to me, freedom and no limits to expression. That’s my version of what rock means and the method of achieving doesn’t need to be quantified to where it has to have this instrument.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »
I actually don't have any issue with it being a "music" HOF and letting in hip hop or other genres.

I think my issue lies in the backwardness of the acts that get in. How does GnR get in before Rush, Deep Purple, etc...

NIN is clearly not my thing, but if you guys tell me they're some sort of giant act, then fine. But how are they in before Judas Priest. And I'm not even the biggest Priest fan or making it a Metal vs everything else thing. I just think that like laying musical foundations, some bands should just get in first.

I think Pat Benatar is an interesting case, but honestly, Whitney Houston should be in first. She was f'n huge.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:15 AM »
Houston? ..............we have a problem :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »

:lol

I am talking in terms of success, and NOT  personal preference. Don't confuse me with TAC.   !

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 07:50:18 AM »

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

I would, in terms of influence. My problem is, Pat Benatar/Neil Giraldo, Soundgarden, and Judas Priest all should have been put in as well. This is getting stupid now. I'll let Eddie "I think I know everything and everyone cares what I think" Trunk rant, but leaving off these three acts really shows that the Rock and Roll HoF is really just dogshit.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »

:lol

I am talking in terms of success, and NOT  personal preference.

I am talking in terms of Rock and Roll  :metal

Don't confuse me with TAC.   !

Now I am confused :lol  What would you like me to call you - Whitney?

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 07:54:45 AM »
I actually don't have any issue with it being a "music" HOF and letting in hip hop or other genres.

I think my issue lies in the backwardness of the acts that get in. How does GnR get in before Rush, Deep Purple, etc...

NIN is clearly not my thing, but if you guys tell me they're some sort of giant act, then fine. But how are they in before Judas Priest. And I'm not even the biggest Priest fan or making it a Metal vs everything else thing. I just think that like laying musical foundations, some bands should just get in first.

I think Pat Benatar is an interesting case, but honestly, Whitney Houston should be in first. She was f'n huge.

I think TAC has it exactly right.  The problem isn't the genres or TYPES of acts that get in, it's the seemingly random way - and patently uninformed way - that they get in.    The Cure gets in, and Reeves Gabrels - a respected guitar player that was an acolyte of David Bowie - gets in as a touring guitar player despite not appearing (to my knowledge) on ANY studio releases, and yet Dio doesn't get in with Sabbath, after almost single-handedly resurrecting that legendary band, as well as fronting not one but TWO other seminal hard rock/heavy metal bands?  GTFO.   The Grateful Dead gets in and Tom Contantin - occasional keyboardist - Robert Hunter - lyricist - and Donna Godchaux - screecher - get in, but Eric Carr doesn't get in with Kiss?   GTFO.  The E Street Band - despite to my knowledge not ever releasing an album under their own name - get in ON THEIR OWN MERITS, but no Duran Duran?   GTFO.

It's just so random. 

Not long after Alex's ridiculous (IMO) speech, I had a sort of fantasy that the best speech would be to get up there and just start reciting names:  "Ronnie James Dio.  Keith Emerson.  Greg Lake.  Carl Palmer.  John Wetton.  PHIL FUCKING COLLINS.  ROBERT FUCKING FRIPP.  Eric Carr.  STEVE FUCKING HARRIS.  BRUCE FUCKING DICKINSON.  Simon LeBon.  John Taylor.  Nick Rhodes.   Lemmy Kilmister.   STEVE FUCKING MORSE."   <And on down the line> And then say something like, "While I deeply appreciate this honor, and accept it in the spirit in which it is intended, this is an audience that professes to love music of all kinds.  And yet it is patently embarrassing and borderline ignorant that we stand here today and those legendary, influential, transcendental musicians are outside looking in, unable to share this moment with us.   Inaugurating them at the last, many after their own death, as some sort of homage is disrespectful.  This should be corrected immediately."   I think Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam said something along those lines, but I can't recall for certain. 

I have no fundamental argument with Pearl Jam, REM, Green Day, Guns'n'Roses, RHCP, et. al, getting in, but for god's sake, ask any of them and they would uniformly say that their forebears should be in first.   Without Soundgarden there is no Pearl Jam, without Jane's Addiction there is no RHCP...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »
With regards to who goes in and in what order, I'm sure it has been debated endlessly who deserves to go in first etc.. I remember James Hetfield said so in his speech during induction and named a ton of bands that should be in there before them. It's the same debate every year, who knows what kind of lobbying goes behind the scenes to get a band's name in these types of awards.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »
With regards to who goes in and in what order, I'm sure it has been debated endlessly who deserves to go in first etc.. I remember James Hetfield said so in his speech during induction and named a ton of bands that should be in there before them. It's the same debate every year, who knows what kind of lobbying goes behind the scenes to get a band's name in these types of awards.

A LOT.  Look at the number of Sire Records artists in there.  Then look at who ran Sire Records, and what his role in the RnRHoF is. 

And I've written about it a lot before: the political angle is undeniable. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:27 AM »
I am fine with everyone who got in this year.

I am a little surprised that Soundgarden didn't get in.

Pat Benatar should have been in years ago.

I don't give a wet fart about Judas Priest, but I understand the argument.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 01:33:31 AM »
The Grateful Dead argued very strongly that every ex-member of the Dead should get in. Blondie argued less successfully that certain ex-members shouldn't. It's a bun-fight between the HOF and the band as to who they include. If Sabbath had argued strong enough that Dio should be included, then he'd be in.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 03:56:57 AM »
Dang-it,  Sons of Apollo gets snubbed again!   >:( :censored
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 06:09:46 AM »
Screw Duran Duran.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 06:13:13 AM »
Screw Duran Duran.

You take that back good sir.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 07:06:57 AM »
Screw Duran Duran.

You take that back good sir.

Okay...

Duran Duran blows!  :lol