Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72396 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #1015 on: August 03, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »
I was watching the Dodger game last night.  I was about 10 minutes or so behind, and I had gotten up to do some dishes, so I couldn't hear the announcers.  At one point, I turned off the water and heard Joe Davis say something about "the memory of Vin" (or something like that).  I made a bee-line for the TV and saw the graphic they had put up in the corner of the screen:  Vin Scully- 1927-2022.  I immediately rewound to the initial announcement.  I basically watched the rest of the game in stunned silence with tears streaming down my face.

Although he's been retired for nearly six years, Vin Scully had been a very real and tangible part of my life as long as I can remember.  My father was born in Brooklyn in 1921, and his father was also born in Brooklyn in 1880.  Between the two of them, they saw the Dodgers (even before they were the Dodgers) play at ever venue they called home.  According to my brother (who was 6 at the time), my father came perilously close to putting his foot through the TV when Bobby Thompson hit his homer in the 1951 NL tiebreaker series.

The details of this are a bit fuzzy because most of my immediate family members are gone, but sometime towards the end of the 1950s, my father decided to move our family from New York to southern California.  I wasn't yet around, but all of my siblings were born in New York.  They moved out here and then moved back and moved out here a second time.  As I understand it, this craziness happened within a span of 5-6 years.  The family story/joke is that my father moved the family in order to follow the Dodgers.

I came along in 1967, and my father died shortly after I turned 7 in 1974.  Nearly every memory I have of him relates to baseball -- him buying me my first glove and bat and the final one:  watching the Dodgers in the 1974 World Series.  While I don't really remember anything about the Series (other than what I've read in more recent years), I have a very distinct memory of sitting in the room with my father watching the game.  I was almost literally born to be a Dodgers fan and "bleed Blue."

Because I was so young when my father died, Vin Scully became something of a surrogate.  I had a clock radio in my room and would turn on Dodger games and listen to Vin (along with Jerry Doggett) teach me about baseball.  It seems weird to write it, but Dodger fans developed an almost familial bond with Vin Scully and, to me, he was a sort of surrogate father.  Anyone who listened to enough of Vin's broadcasts knows that talked about far more than baseball.  He told stories and made the past seem present.  He taught generations to be good humans.

Although Vin is synonymous with the Dodgers, he was, for several years, one of CBS's lead football play-by-play commentators, working with folks like Paul Hornung, Jim Brown and John Madden.  He called "The Catch" by Dwight Clark in the 1982 NFC Championship Game.  He also called tennis and golf.  He called countless national baseball broadcasts, including more than two dozen World Series (covering a span of over 40 years) and many more championship series and all-star games.  He remains the youngest person to have called a World Series -- he was 25 when he called the 1953 World Series for NBC television.

Deaths of folks I don't know personally have never hit me hard.  Chris Squire and Neil Peart were tough, but Vin is something else entirely, and I think it's going to take a few days for me to move past this.

Wow that’s a huge loss. He called games managed by Connie Mack who was born during the Lincoln administration.

Although I've seen the same comment published elsewhere, it's not quite accurate.  Mack's last season as manager - 1950 - was also Vin's first season calling games for the Dodgers.  However, Mack managed the Philadelphia Athletics and, since the Dodgers were in the National League and the Athletics in the American League, Vin wouldn't have had occasion to call a game managed by Mack.  That said, the fact that a guy who died yesterday had a career that overlapped a guy born when Lincoln was president is just crazy!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1016 on: August 03, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »
Great post, Paul.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1017 on: August 03, 2022, 12:01:25 PM »
Local radio station KGO just had Giants announcer Mike Krukow on to tribute Vin, just an amazing life. Even as a Giants fan, I deeply respect his body of work and contributions to the game.

He also called The Catch in '82,so there's that too...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1018 on: August 03, 2022, 01:48:34 PM »
The Giants ran a nice graphic on the scoreboard after yesterday's game, and there's a plaque in the visitor's press box commemorating Vin's last game called at AT&T.  Even though we hate each other, there's a LOT of respect running between the two organizations.

I remember Krukow as a pitcher with a bunch of mostly terrible Cubs teams.  Looks like he had a really good season with the Giants in '86.  One postseaon game in a 12+ year career (didn't quite hang on for the '89 WS run).  Obviously not as many opportunities back then, but that's tough.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1019 on: August 03, 2022, 02:06:46 PM »
The Giants ran a nice graphic on the scoreboard after yesterday's game, and there's a plaque in the visitor's press box commemorating Vin's last game called at AT&T.  Even though we hate each other, there's a LOT of respect running between the two organizations.

I remember Krukow as a pitcher with a bunch of mostly terrible Cubs teams.  Looks like he had a really good season with the Giants in '86.  One postseaon game in a 12+ year career (didn't quite hang on for the '89 WS run).  Obviously not as many opportunities back then, but that's tough.

Yup, in the end there is respect. I even remember it running fairly deep when Lasorda passed, not quite the level that Vin will get, but it definitely was present.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1020 on: August 03, 2022, 07:59:34 PM »
Nice tribute to Vin Scully in San Fran tonight.

I loved the day we spent at that ballpark.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1021 on: August 08, 2022, 10:15:38 PM »
Maybe it's about time MLB starts forcing the home team to forfeit the game if their fans keep throwing stuff on the field and at players.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1022 on: August 08, 2022, 11:38:15 PM »
Maybe it's about time MLB starts forcing the home team to forfeit the game if their fans keep throwing stuff on the field and at players.

I agree! I'm a Yankee fan, but going to games literally sucks. The fans can't hold their booze and honestly even the sober ones can be flat out abusive. I stopped going to Yankee Stadium.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1023 on: August 09, 2022, 10:28:23 AM »

I don't disagree, but what did I miss?

And I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Leave your position to join a brawl?  Automatic 5 game suspension.  Leave the bullpen to join a brawl?  Automatic 5 game suspension.  Leave the dugout to join a brawl?  Automatic 5 game suspension.  Gonna lose your next 5 games because you literally had to bring up your entire AAA roster while everyone is suspended?  Too bad.

I'm looking forward to all the ejections next year when pitchers can't figure out how to comply with a pitch clock and then lose their shit when the umpires call automatic balls.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1024 on: August 09, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
Also...

If the Dodgers play .500 baseball the rest of the season, they'll finish at 102-60, and the Padres and Giants would have go 41-9 and 48-5, respectively, in order to catch the Dodgers.

Also also, Manny "Fucking" Machado continues to confirm that he's one of the biggest douchebags in baseball.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1025 on: August 09, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Also...

If the Dodgers play .500 baseball the rest of the season, they'll finish at 102-60, and the Padres and Giants would have go 41-9 and 48-5, respectively, in order to catch the Dodgers.

Also also, Manny "Fucking" Machado continues to confirm that he's one of the biggest douchebags in baseball.

He really is  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: August 09, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »

I don't disagree, but what did I miss?
Giants-Padres game last night. Safe call at home was overturned and the Padres fans started throwing stuff at Mike Yastrzemski and all over the field. There was like a 10 minute delay to get all the crap off the field. It was one of those calls that no matter what the ruling, someone was going to be mad. I honestly think they got the call right, but I may be biased since the call favored the Giants. :dunno:

Yeah, I really hate Manny Machado. No hustle, gets mad at the drop of a hat, throws tantrums on the field when things don't go his way, yells at pitchers when they strike him out, etc etc. Reminds me a bit of Nyjer Morgan. Glad he's been out of the game for 10 years now.

Also...

Yeah the Dodgers have been every bit as good as they were last year, only this year they don't have the Giants to keep them in check, so they may end with a better record than last year. Being a Giants fan, I have to automatically hate the Dodgers, but I've been impressed with the pace they've kept all year. Imagine if Bellinger and Muncy were anywhere near their potential this year. I honestly think Bellinger has just flamed out. I suppose he could turn it around, but I think the Dodger hitting instructors have been doing him a disservice. Or he hasn't been listening to them. :dunno: No idea what's wrong with Muncy this year.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1027 on: August 10, 2022, 09:45:01 AM »
Reminds me a bit of Nyjer Morgan. Glad he's been out of the game for 10 years now.

Hmmm...all I remember is that he was fast AF.

Imagine if Bellinger and Muncy were anywhere near their potential this year. I honestly think Bellinger has just flamed out. I suppose he could turn it around, but I think the Dodger hitting instructors have been doing him a disservice. Or he hasn't been listening to them. :dunno: No idea what's wrong with Muncy this year.

My son argued at the time - and still argues - that Bellinger didn't deserve the MVP in 2019 and that he only won it because the almighty "they" didn't want to have Yelich as a back-to-back winner.  He also seized on the literal definition of "most valuable" - i.e., Yelich was more valuable because taking him off the Brewers would have had a huge impact, while taking Bellinger off the Dodgers wouldn't have had a big impact.  He now cites Bellinger's multi-year slump as confirmation.  In any event, I'm not sure which of the two options you mentioned is true, but I'm inclined to think it's the latter.  I'm just hoping he takes some lessons from Freddy Freeman, but Bellinger's saving grace is that, IMO, there isn't a better defensive centerfielder in the NL and maybe all of MLB.

As for Muncy, I think he could have done with more recovery time from the injury he suffered at the end of last year.  He's been showing signs over the past week-plus of pulling out of it, so I'm hopeful.

What I'm most encouraged about is that Dustin May has one more AAA rehab start and, assuming all continues to look and feel good, he's supposed to rejoin the team later this month.  Likewise, Brustar Graterol and Blake Treinen are set to return within the next couple of weeks.  Really hoping that Treinen's presence will minimize the need for Craig "Gas-on-the-Fire" Kimbrel.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1028 on: August 12, 2022, 02:22:21 PM »
Awful news of Tim Lincecum losing his wife at the age of 38 to cancer. She was fucking beautiful.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1029 on: August 12, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »
Really??? That's horrible!!! We need some positive news....... Ummmm????  :huh:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1030 on: August 12, 2022, 03:46:22 PM »
Well Tim, I'm prepared to see Eovaldi carve up the Yankees line up tonight.  :sad:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1031 on: August 12, 2022, 03:47:36 PM »
Anyone watch the Field of Dreams game yesterday?

Cubs beat the Reds in really cool throwback uniforms, but I hate that they did it on a Thursday, so I didn't get to see any of the pregame stuff.  John Smoltz did the broadcast despite his father having died earlier in the day (he said his father would have been livid had he not done it).

And then there was this...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1032 on: August 12, 2022, 03:51:58 PM »
Anyone watch the Field of Dreams game yesterday?

Cubs beat the Reds in really cool throwback uniforms, but I hate that they did it on a Thursday, so I didn't get to see any of the pregame stuff.  John Smoltz did the broadcast despite his father having died earlier in the day (he said his father would have been livid had he not done it).

And then there was this...

I totally forgot! Unfuckingreal!!! Damn it!!!  >:(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1033 on: August 12, 2022, 04:00:26 PM »
Well Tim, I'm prepared to see Eovaldi carve up the Yankees line up tonight.  :sad:

I believe you'll be sorely disappointed. I mean, Eovaldi may do ok, but once he's gone, the game is yours.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1034 on: August 12, 2022, 08:11:38 PM »
Clay Holmes, Are you FUCKING kidding me!!!!!  :censored  >:(:censored :censored >:(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1035 on: August 12, 2022, 08:12:42 PM »
I figured Eovalsi would keep them close and then the Sox' pen would blow it, but they hung in there. That dude Holmes was throwing gas!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1036 on: August 12, 2022, 10:43:42 PM »
Holmes was an all star this year and was unstoppable for most of the year. He stole Chapman's closer role but has been off lately. Sox can still get a WC spot so it was a good win for them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1037 on: August 14, 2022, 02:44:30 PM »
The Harry Caray thing wasn't as weird for me as it could have been.  After all, the guy was a caricature even when he was alive.  But then I thought about how horrified I'd be if they tried that shit with Vin Scully.  Just no.

Had a near perfect game in Tampa today.  The Rays' starter gave up a leadoff double in the top of the 9th.  Then the guy took third on a groundout and scored on a wild pitch.  So the manager lifted the starter...even though his pitch count was at 87.  For god's sake...let the guy get the complete game!

And wow...I'm shocked to see that the Yankees and Red Sox will be the Sunday Night Baseball game.  4:00 game time, so I assume they'll be done sometime around 8:30.  And they're doing the Michael Kay/Alex Rodriguez alternate broadcast.  Yeah...I'm sure that won't be completely unlistenable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1038 on: August 14, 2022, 02:48:42 PM »

And wow...I'm shocked to see that the Yankees and Red Sox will be the Sunday Night Baseball game.  4:00 game time, so I assume they'll be done sometime around 8:30.  And they're doing the Michael Kay/Alex Rodriguez alternate broadcast.  Yeah...I'm sure that won't be completely unlistenable.

I wish it started at 4:00 here.

And this was my bitch a few weeks ago. Fox also had Sox/Yanks last night. I'd hate to be in another market getting stuck having to always watch the same two teams both nights.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1039 on: August 14, 2022, 02:53:44 PM »
ESPN apparently thinks it's still 2007.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1040 on: August 14, 2022, 03:20:28 PM »
  And they're doing the Michael Kay/Alex Rodriguez alternate broadcast.  Yeah...I'm sure that won't be completely unlistenable.
For someone who played baseball as long as Alex Rodriguez did, he sure sounds completely stupid when it comes to being a baseball broadcaster...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1041 on: August 14, 2022, 06:45:26 PM »
Listening to David Cone add nothing reminds me of how good Curt Schilling was on these broadcasts.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1042 on: August 14, 2022, 07:39:06 PM »
Was that Yankees Red Sox game was sponsored by NyQuil??? I tuned in to the Kay-Rod show and if anyone saw it what did you think of Jeters appearance? Was it obvious that he can't stand Alex? I respect Derek and his years as a player but lighten the fuck up man. Alex was trying to suck his dick and Derek wasn't biting (see what I did there?). Awkward to say the least. Overall a totally shit night in Yankee land.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1043 on: August 15, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »
I hear Michael Kay every so often when MLB Network shows a Yankees game on a weekend afternoon, and I think he's pretty good.  But you'd have to pay me a pretty good amount of money to consume anything in which Alex Rodrigueez is involved.  He is downright awful.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1044 on: August 15, 2022, 07:58:31 PM »
Good on the ump for calling Rizzo for leaning into that pitch.

I loved when Pedro used to protect Wakefield. If a guy let Wakefield's knuckleball hit him, Pedro would usually drill him the next opportunity.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1045 on: August 15, 2022, 09:08:15 PM »
Yankees are pathetic.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1046 on: August 16, 2022, 07:06:30 AM »
A lot of football neanderthals like to criticize baseball as a wimpy sport - well the Dodgers currently have 11 pitchers on the injured list. There's a high degree of injury risk in this game! Just ask all the superstars like Trout, Harper, etc etc who are currently out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1047 on: August 16, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »
A lot of football neanderthals like to criticize baseball as a wimpy sport - well the Dodgers currently have 11 pitchers on the injured list. There's a high degree of injury risk in this game! Just ask all the superstars like Trout, Harper, etc etc who are currently out.

I think the ire of "football neanderthals" is typically directed at soccer.  That said, baseball involves a LOT of short, HIGH torque maneuvers (i.e., swinging a bat and pitching).  Those things carry high injury potential.  It's just that most baseball injuries are of the non-contact variety.

Good on the ump for calling Rizzo for leaning into that pitch.

As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Rizzo.  At the time the pitch was released, Rizzo had his foot six inches off the ground in preparation to stride toward the pitcher.  After the pitch was released, the foot was on its way down, and that wasn't something that could have been changed.  Ryan Yarbrough is 6'5" and, conservatively, releases the ball 56 feet from the plate.  The pitch looked to have been a slider, so let's say it was going 85mph, so that's .45 seconds from release to the plate.  By the time Rizzo's foot landed, the ball was at least halfway to the plate, which means he had maybe .25 seconds to do something.  He had ZERO chance of avoiding that ball.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: August 17, 2022, 10:05:30 PM »
So Tatis Jr has been suspended for PEDs. What an idiot. Then his dad tries to explain it away by giving excuses.....it's a banned substance, I don't care what it's being used for. If you test positive for any banned substance, you have no one to blame but yourself.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1049 on: August 18, 2022, 11:46:30 AM »
Here's the thing...I believe Tatis that the substance in question was an ingredient in something that he used for a legit reason and that he didn't know it was in there.

My problem is that no one making big-4 money should be putting ANYTHING in his body without getting the thumbs up from someone who knows the banned substance list inside and out.  It's just too important.  And I don't know what his dad said, but when family members (even those who are MLB record holders) start talking, it's usually bad.

By the way, I had a dream last night that I was watching a baseball game and a brawl broke out and the guy who was at-bat (tall, skinny guy, so maybe Cody Bellinger) actually clocked one of the umpires with a punch.  Unfortunately, I woke up before learning how long of a suspension he got.   :lol