Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72488 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: 2021 MLB Thread
« Reply #735 on: October 14, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
Well, outside of Mookie Betts, the Dodgers still can't figure out this "scrub" pitcher.

Unfortunately the Giants still can't figure out how to hit, period....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #736 on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »
Bobby Thomson to PH!!!  ;) ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #737 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:40 PM »
Bobby Thompson to PH!!!  ;) ;D
If Bobby Thomson hadn't been dead for 11 years now, sure  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #738 on: October 14, 2021, 10:00:31 PM »
Bobby Thompson to PH!!!  ;) ;D
If Bobby Thomson hadn't been dead for 11 years now, sure  :biggrin:

They need that magic.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:54:59 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #739 on: October 14, 2021, 10:07:50 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:54:19 PM by Glasser »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: October 14, 2021, 10:37:11 PM »
What a shitty way to end the game.  :\

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #741 on: October 14, 2021, 10:38:49 PM »
What a shitty way to end the game.  :\
Holy. Shit. That was one of the worst missed calls I've seen in a long long time.

Besides that, how do you end the game calling someone out on a check swing.... :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #742 on: October 14, 2021, 10:39:04 PM »
Yeah, that was fucked.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #743 on: October 14, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »
The Dodgers better send that umpire a gift basket or 12...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: October 14, 2021, 10:42:59 PM »
I was literally thinking to myself, "Thank God it wasn't that egregious, the ump definitely won't call it for an anti-climactic ending."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #745 on: October 14, 2021, 10:44:37 PM »
I try to avoid bitching about stuff like that, but damn man,thats not how I wanted to see that epic match end.

Just a damn shame for how epic its been the last month.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #746 on: October 14, 2021, 10:45:58 PM »
That was absolutely awful. It’s bad enough in a regular season game but come on man.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #747 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:53 PM »
Now, where did I put that Red Sox hat.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #748 on: October 15, 2021, 04:48:37 AM »
Now, where did I put that Red Sox hat.....

I've got a few you can borrow. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #749 on: October 15, 2021, 06:33:27 AM »
I didn't see the play till this morning, but yeesh that is absolutely brutal.  That is a complete embarrassment to MLB to have a series end on a judgment call like that, one that was clearly incorrect.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #750 on: October 15, 2021, 06:47:08 AM »
Even all of my Dodger fan friends, though happy, thought that was a completely fucked call. That says a lot. Funny, ten years ago this would've eaten me up for days, but I'm already over it. Chalk it up partially to maturity, and partially to knowing that one call didn't make for the series. The Giants left way too many offensive opportunities on the table. Hard to be a champion when every victory is gained by holding the other team to little or no runs. They found all the holes in the team that need filling for sure, the biggest one though, their heart, is just fine. Great season, a totally unexpected run to the best record in baseball, and an epic series with our hated rival that came down to the very last out of the very last game, both with 109 wins. That's some solid baseball for sure.
:GiantsMetal:

It was still a shit call though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #751 on: October 15, 2021, 09:19:30 AM »
Wearing an ensemble that no Californian would ever wear!

Dafuq is wrong with you?   :biggrin:

I try to avoid bitching about stuff like that, but damn man,thats not how I wanted to see that epic match end.

Just a damn shame for how epic its been the last month.

I mean...I have lots of emotions, but this is absolutely correct.

I didn't get to watch the first half of the game, but I was checking on the ESPN app.  Betts kept getting hits and no one else was.  Fortunately, the Dodgers "bullpen game" plan worked to perfection.  Whether it was ineptitude at the plate or damn good pitching, the Giants mustered only 6 hits -- only one of which was meaningful -- while the Dodgers had exactly the same totals through 7.2 innings.

The Giants were pretty bad at the plate all series, scoring only 10 runs in 5 games.  In this game, the Dodgers did JUST ENOUGH to win.  After an absolutely embarrassing season, Cody Bellinger came up huge when it mattered.

As for the game ending call, I have no delusions that Whining Wilmer was going to do anything against Scherzer.  But he should have gotten the opportunity.  I was standing up in my living room watching the game with my son.  The pitch was delivered, and Smith pointed for the check, and I said no.  When the camera switched and the first base umpire rung him up, my reaction was, "WHAT?!  Really?"  No way in the world was that a swing.  Obviously, I'll take the result, but there is NO WAY any game should end on a check swing that isn't beyond dispute, and this one wasn't even borderline.

Of course, Dodger fans on social media all began to scream about one of the mid-season games where Darin Ruf DIDN'T get rung up on an obvious swing that would and should have ended a game that the Giants ended up winning.  As though this was some sort of make-up call or "karma" from the "baseball gods," which is just silly.

One guy on Reddit said it best:  "It was a shitty call.  And it will go down as one of many big huge moments in the long history between these two teams, and I’m ok with that.  We hate each other for a reason.

I want the bad blood and the rage and the desire for revenge.  It’s the best rivalry in sports for a reason, and we were all getting too happy and friendly and swapping players and executives and joking about the [P]adres and shit.  Fuck that.

Giants fans, you got jobbed.  You wouldn’t have won anyway, but you got jobbed.  Thems the breaks.  We’ll see you next year. . . .  It’ll be an even year, y’all like those.  Let’s do it all again.

God, I love baseball."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #752 on: October 15, 2021, 09:21:07 AM »
By the way...

I'm now very glad the Braves beat the Brewers.

GO DODGERS!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #753 on: October 15, 2021, 09:55:23 AM »
It's great they won, but not this way.  This win feels tainted to me.  The dude would have probably been out on the next pitch or two anyway, but in baseball, anything can happen!  I wanted to beat these midgets clean and with no doubt, and that didn't happen. 

We'll never live this down.  Giants fans and Dodgers haters are going to be throwing this in our faces for years, just like the Astros and their fans get.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2021, 10:02:58 AM »
It's great they won, but not this way.  This win feels tainted to me.  The dude would have probably been out on the next pitch or two anyway, but in baseball, anything can happen!  I wanted to beat these midgets clean and with no doubt, and that didn't happen. 

We'll never live this down.  Giants fans and Dodgers haters are going to be throwing this in our faces for years, just like the Astros and their fans get.

Yup  :biggrin:

It'll be another asterisk'd victory, right next to the covid shortened season championship  :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #755 on: October 15, 2021, 12:02:08 PM »
By the way...

I'm now very glad the Braves beat the Brewers.

I’m not   :P
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »
Wtf? Just need to kick your own ass now.

It takes a special person to get a Giants fan and a Dodgers fan to agree on something!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
I mean...whatever.

SCOREBOARD.

It takes a special person to get a Giants fan and a Dodgers fan to agree on something!

So...I guess you're Jimmy Carter and lonestar and I are Sadat and Begin?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2021, 12:27:41 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #759 on: October 15, 2021, 12:29:07 PM »
Dodgers won.  Giants didn't.  The call was terrible.  Oh well.  History doesn't have asterisks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #760 on: October 15, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »

How about something all of us can agree on... Fuck the Yankees.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #761 on: October 15, 2021, 01:09:55 PM »

How about something all of us can agree on... Fuck the Yankees.

That's not nice. That's my team since birth.  :sad:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: October 15, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »
I just saw the check swing from last night.

I'll say this though, that even though Flores had some great bat control, his arms are out front. It's a tough call, and under slo mo, it's clearly wrong, but in real time, Flores' arms swing....so that probably fooled the ump.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #763 on: October 15, 2021, 02:53:58 PM »
Some of the hyperbole associated with this game has made me chuckle.

When I was at lunch a guy on ESPN radio said something to the effect of "how about Mookie Betts coming up huge in the biggest game of his life?!"  Ummm...last time I checked, Mookie Betts played in and won two World Series with two different teams, and I'd have to believe some of those games were bigger.

The other one is that Vin Scully of all people put out a statement (before the game) about game 5 being "the most important game in the history of [the Dodger/Giant] rivalry."  I mean...who am I to disagree with Vin (especially about this subject), but wasn't the Bobby Thompson game in 1951 "more important"?  The Dodgers and Giants tied for the National League penant, and it was determined that they would play a 3-game series to determine which team would face the Yankees in the World Series.  While the games in that series were officially "regular season" games, I have a hard time regarding the third game (the teams split the first two) not being more "important."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #764 on: October 15, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »
but wasn't the Bobby Thompson game in 1951 "more important"?  The Dodgers and Giants tied for the National League penant, and it was determined that they would play a 3-game series to determine which team would face the Yankees in the World Series.  While the games in that series were officially "regular season" games, I have a hard time regarding the third game (the teams split the first two) not being more "important."

You were just a kid then, right? ;D

Oh, and Mookie is amazing.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #765 on: October 15, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »
Dodgers won.  Giants didn't.  The call was terrible.  Oh well.  History doesn't have asterisks.

No but fan bases do.  Look how long ago the Astros scandal was and we're still talking about it. 

But as Vin would say, "it's a strikeout in the box score".
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #766 on: October 15, 2021, 04:54:17 PM »
but wasn't the Bobby Thompson game in 1951 "more important"?  The Dodgers and Giants tied for the National League penant, and it was determined that they would play a 3-game series to determine which team would face the Yankees in the World Series.  While the games in that series were officially "regular season" games, I have a hard time regarding the third game (the teams split the first two) not being more "important."

You were just a kid then, right? ;D

Har har har... :lol

My father and his father were born in Brooklyn.  Between the two of them, they saw games in every place the Dodgers have ever called home.  My family moved from Long Island to Southern California shortly after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles, and it's always been a family joke that my father moved the family in order to follow the Dodgers.  My brother, who was born in 1945, has told me more than once that, when Thompson hit that home run, my father nearly broke the family TV set.  My father died when I was 7, so I have few memories of him, but I don't doubt that story.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #767 on: October 15, 2021, 05:04:17 PM »
Your brother is 22 years older than you? He's older than my father!

I'm sorry to hear that about your father. Jeez, that blows.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #768 on: October 15, 2021, 05:04:40 PM »
Even all of my Dodger fan friends, though happy, thought that was a completely fucked call. That says a lot. Funny, ten years ago this would've eaten me up for days, but I'm already over it. Chalk it up partially to maturity, and partially to knowing that one call didn't make for the series. The Giants left way too many offensive opportunities on the table. Hard to be a champion when every victory is gained by holding the other team to little or no runs. They found all the holes in the team that need filling for sure, the biggest one though, their heart, is just fine. Great season, a totally unexpected run to the best record in baseball, and an epic series with our hated rival that came down to the very last out of the very last game, both with 109 wins. That's some solid baseball for sure.

This is how I look at it. We'll be back next year. The Giants have some tough decisions to make this offseason though. Also, even though Doval gave up the winning run, he looks absolutely electric. I think he should definitely be the closer going forward.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #769 on: October 15, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »

This is how I look at it. We'll be back next year. The Giants have some tough decisions to make this offseason though. Also, even though Doval gave up the winning run, he looks absolutely electric. I think he should definitely be the closer going forward.
Totally agree, he has that rare combination of speed and vicious movement that's just deadly in a closer