Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 71912 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2021 MLB Thread
« Reply #525 on: September 05, 2021, 03:04:04 PM »
Thanks to an antiquated rule that they refuse to change, a Red Sox starter had another win vultured away from him by a shit bullpen performance. Houck allows 0 runs in 5 innings, Ottavino gives up 3 in the 9th but gets credit for a “win” anyway. Stupid stupid rule. Give Houck the win and Ottavino a blown save.

That would make zero sense.  Boston won the game in the bottom of the 9th, therefore the last pitcher to pitch for them gets the win. That is just logical.  Yeah, it's goofy that it's also the pitcher who blew the save, but it's the way it is, and the way it should be.  You can't give the win to a pitcher who hadn't been in the game in four innings when the game was then tied in the 9th.  :lol :lol

It’s an antiquated rule, it no longer applies. They change rules in football all the time. Give the win to the pitcher that pitched most effectively. Simple. And relievers don’t care about wins anyway.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #526 on: September 05, 2021, 03:38:14 PM »
Thanks to an antiquated rule that they refuse to change, a Red Sox starter had another win vultured away from him by a shit bullpen performance. Houck allows 0 runs in 5 innings, Ottavino gives up 3 in the 9th but gets credit for a “win” anyway. Stupid stupid rule. Give Houck the win and Ottavino a blown save.

That would make zero sense.  Boston won the game in the bottom of the 9th, therefore the last pitcher to pitch for them gets the win. That is just logical.  Yeah, it's goofy that it's also the pitcher who blew the save, but it's the way it is, and the way it should be.  You can't give the win to a pitcher who hadn't been in the game in four innings when the game was then tied in the 9th.  :lol :lol

It’s an antiquated rule, it no longer applies. They change rules in football all the time. Give the win to the pitcher that pitched most effectively. Simple. And relievers don’t care about wins anyway.
But it's a rule that makes sense and should not be changed.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #527 on: September 06, 2021, 03:12:21 PM »

I agree with the highlighted, but I don't agree that it's logical to give it to the guy who nearly yacked the game and just happened to be the "pitcher of record."  A better way to handle it would be to give no win or a "team win."  There is some precedent for the "team win" since they allow for "combined no hitters," and it's a more sensible thing to do in a "bullpen game" than to have the official scorer simply pick from one of the eight guys who pitched.

Also, wins for a pitcher is one of the dumbest stats in baseball.

It was a lot more meaningful when starters routinely went 7+ innings.  What is silly is the rule that says a starter has to pitch at least 5 innings to get a win, but a reliever in a "bullpen game" can get a win by pitching only 1.2 innings.

On another subject, where does every come down on Alex Rodriguez as a commentator?  I think he is absolutely awful and, even worse, he makes those around him worse.  When ESPN had the 3-person booth with Jessica Mendoza and Aaron Boone as commentators (and I think John Schiambi as the PBP guy), they were SO GOOD -- in particular, I thought Mendoza was one of the best new announcers I'd heard in a long time.  Then Boone left to take the Yankees' job and they stuck Rodriguez in his spot, and he turned Mendoza into a blithering idiot.  If last night's game hadn't been an important game for the Dodgers, I almost certainly would have turned the game off.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #528 on: September 07, 2021, 12:28:15 AM »
On another subject, where does every come down on Alex Rodriguez as a commentator?  I think he is absolutely awful and, even worse, he makes those around him worse.  When ESPN had the 3-person booth with Jessica Mendoza and Aaron Boone as commentators (and I think John Schiambi as the PBP guy), they were SO GOOD -- in particular, I thought Mendoza was one of the best new announcers I'd heard in a long time.  Then Boone left to take the Yankees' job and they stuck Rodriguez in his spot, and he turned Mendoza into a blithering idiot.  If last night's game hadn't been an important game for the Dodgers, I almost certainly would have turned the game off.
I agree Alex Rodriguez is awful in the broadcast booth, but wasn't the ESPN broadcast last night Matt Vasgersian, Eric Karros, and Buster Olney? I admit I like Matty V, but Eric Karros is also a blithering idiot. Or was that Alex in the booth with Matt last night and I'm just purging that from memory?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #529 on: September 07, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »
I agree Alex Rodriguez is awful in the broadcast booth, but wasn't the ESPN broadcast last night Matt Vasgersian, Eric Karros, and Buster Olney? I admit I like Matty V, but Eric Karros is also a blithering idiot. Or was that Alex in the booth with Matt last night and I'm just purging that from memory?

It was Rodriguez (and that was the impetus for my post).  Karros works Fox games.

The one thing that I thought was particularly absurd was when they were running down how many potential Hall of Famers were playing in the game (Pujols, Scherzer, Kershaw, etc.).  I'm not sure if it was Rodriguez or Olney, but someone tried to make a case for Brandon Crawford as a potential HOF'er.  LOL...WHAT??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #530 on: September 07, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »
I think the better question is WHO??  The Giants shortstop who has had one season hitting over .280, that year being this year?  Career avg. of .253 and career SLG of .402?  That guy?  Hilarious!!!!

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #531 on: September 07, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »
I think the better question is WHO??  The Giants shortstop who has had one season hitting over .280, that year being this year?  Career avg. of .253 and career SLG of .402?  That guy?  Hilarious!!!!

EXACTLY!  When they were saying it, I scoffed derisively and then I looked him up on Baseball Reference this morning, and it's worse than I thought.  Career OPS of .722.  I'm not into advanced stats, but I understand OPS+ to be one of those stats where 100 is MLB average, and Crawford has a career OPS+ of 98 (i.e., below average).  Dude's numbers in the playoffs are even worse than his regular season numbers.  There's a stat called cWPA that appears to be a measure of how much a player improved his team's chance of winning a championship, and Crawford's number is NEGATIVE.

On the positive side, the dude is a total Enos Cabell (i.e., he always seems to play like a HOF'er against the Dodgers despite otherwise being completely average), and he's won three Gold Gloves.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #532 on: September 07, 2021, 08:51:05 PM »

EXACTLY!  When they were saying it, I scoffed derisively and then I looked him up on Baseball Reference this morning, and it's worse than I thought.  Career OPS of .722.  I'm not into advanced stats, but I understand OPS+ to be one of those stats where 100 is MLB average, and Crawford has a career OPS+ of 98 (i.e., below average).  Dude's numbers in the playoffs are even worse than his regular season numbers.  There's a stat called cWPA that appears to be a measure of how much a player improved his team's chance of winning a championship, and Crawford's number is NEGATIVE.

On the positive side, the dude is a total Enos Cabell (i.e., he always seems to play like a HOF'er against the Dodgers despite otherwise being completely average), and he's won three Gold Gloves.
He's definitely one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, but a Hall of Famer, no. I think the point they were making was a potential to be voted in by the veterans committee, which I've seen crazier things from them...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #533 on: September 07, 2021, 08:53:01 PM »
And speaking of the Giants. 2 days in a row they've completely dominated the Rockies, in Denver.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #534 on: September 08, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
He's definitely one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, but a Hall of Famer, no. I think the point they were making was a potential to be voted in by the veterans committee, which I've seen crazier things from them...

Is he?  As I've said many times, I'm not into advanced stats, but I'm not otherwise sure how to quantify defense.  For 6 of his 11 years, Crawford had a dWAR between 1.1-3.4, and he won Gold Gloves three years in a row.  For other 5 years, however, his dWAR ranged between -0.4 and 0.9.  If I understand the intent behind WAR correctly, that means that, for half his career, his defense was essentially meaningless in terms of the team's win total.

Honestly, the best argument for any average middle infielder is that Phil Rizzuto is in the HOF.  If Rizzuto belongs, then pretty much everyone who ever played shortstop should get in.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #535 on: September 08, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
Phil Rizzuto is in the HOF because of WHERE he played, not HOW he played.  If he played for the White Sox or the Athletics back then, he'd be a nobody.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #536 on: September 08, 2021, 12:21:13 PM »
Phil Rizzuto is in the HOF because of WHERE he played, not HOW he played.  If he played for the White Sox or the Athletics back then, he'd be a nobody.

I know that, but every time they let scrubs like Rizzuto and Mussina in, it opens the door for a "well...if ___ is in, why not ___?"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #537 on: September 08, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »

I know that, but every time they let scrubs like Rizzuto and Mussina in, it opens the door for a "well...if ___ is in, why not ___?"

This is where Stadler comes in with his "Hall of the Very Good".   ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #538 on: September 08, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
"Hall of the Very Good".   ;)

I've been using that term for a LONG time.  IIRC, I got it from Jim Rome when I listened to him back in the mid- to late '90s.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #539 on: September 12, 2021, 09:43:42 AM »
Brewers with their first no-hitter (albeit combined) since 1987.

This years Brewers team is the best I’ve ever seen, even better than the 1982 WS team. It would be so sweet to follow the Bucks championship with a Brewers one.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »
Max Scherzer had a pretty good day yesterday.

"Immaculate inning" in the second.

3,000th strikeout a couple innings later.

Perfect game for 7.1 innings.  Broken up by an Eric Hosmer double -- same guy who was the 3K strikeout victim.

Dodgers sweep the Padres over the weekend and gain no ground because the fucking Cubs SUCK.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #541 on: September 13, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
Haven't watched too much baseball in years but DAMN them Blue Jays are on fire lately.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #542 on: September 13, 2021, 04:34:55 PM »

Perfect game for 7.1 innings.  Broken up by an Eric Hosmer double -- same guy who was the 3K strikeout victim.

Dodgers sweep the Padres over the weekend and gain no ground because the fucking Cubs SUCK.
The next 3 days look like the Dodgers best chance of making up any ground, playing the D'backs and all....although I'd laugh if the D'backs swept the Dodgers  :lol

The Giants aren't going to make it easy though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #543 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:43 PM »

The next 3 days look like the Dodgers best chance of making up any ground, playing the D'backs and all....although I'd laugh if the D'backs swept the Dodgers  :lol

Let's go Padres....

Sigh....

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »

Let's go Padres....

Sigh....
:neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #545 on: September 13, 2021, 11:34:02 PM »
Giants clinch a playoff berth!  :metal

Now to take the division! :corn
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:02:04 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #546 on: September 14, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »
My brother was complaining about the Dodgers a couple days ago, and I had to remind him that, at the time, the Dodgers had won 20 of the previous 25 games against teams other than the Giants.  Including the three games against the Giants, the Dodgers are now 23-7 in their last 30 games.  That's a friggin' .767 clip.  Can't do a lot better than that.  The Giants are 21-9 over their last 30.

It's insane -- but not good for my blood pressure -- how well both of these teams have been playing over the last couple months.

Also, for the Seattle folks:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32207855/seattle-mariners-host-2023-mlb-all-star-game-sources-say

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #547 on: September 14, 2021, 08:03:50 PM »
My brother was complaining about the Dodgers a couple days ago, and I had to remind him that, at the time, the Dodgers had won 20 of the previous 25 games against teams other than the Giants.  Including the three games against the Giants, the Dodgers are now 23-7 in their last 30 games.  That's a friggin' .767 clip.  Can't do a lot better than that.  The Giants are 21-9 over their last 30.

It's insane -- but not good for my blood pressure -- how well both of these teams have been playing over the last couple months.

Also, for the Seattle folks:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32207855/seattle-mariners-host-2023-mlb-all-star-game-sources-say
It's been a fun year for sure watching the Giants and Dodgers. I honestly thought the Padres would stick in the division race longer, but they've been plummeting.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #548 on: September 14, 2021, 08:11:20 PM »

It's been a fun year for sure watching the Giants and Dodgers. I honestly thought the Padres would stick in the division race longer, but they've been plummeting.

Yeah, the Padres have been really disappointing.

I actually watch a ton of these West Coast games when I go to bed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #549 on: September 14, 2021, 10:49:58 PM »

Yeah, the Padres have been really disappointing.

I actually watch a ton of these West Coast games when I go to bed.
Can I convert you to a Giants fan?  :biggrin: The Red Sox are also disappointing  :corn

Then again, I've endured a lot of disappointing years as a Giants fan. Been watching (and a fan of) the Giants since about 1991 when I was 6 years old.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #550 on: September 15, 2021, 08:18:36 AM »
The Brewers had a three game series over the previous weekend with Cleveland.

Their starters gave up a total of 4 hits.

Three of those hits in were in one game, in one inning.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #551 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
The Padres have gone straight into the dumpster.  It makes me chuckle because of all the newly-minted Padre fans thinking there was suddenly going to be some sort of rivalry with the Dodgers (and, to be fair, they spanked the Dodgers in a couple early season series).

Dodgers and Giants have both clinched playoff spots.  The Brewers' magic number to win the division is 5, and I don't see the Phillies or Mets catching the Braves, even though the Phillies are only 4.5 games back.

Assuming whichever team is the second wild card (currently the Cardinals by a half game over the Reds and a game over the Padres) doesn't pull off a miracle upset over the Dodgers or Giants, we'll have the first ever Dodgers/Giants playoff series (not counting the three game tiebreaker series in 1951).  After those teams beat the crap out of each other, they'll get to face the winner of the Brewers/Braves series, which will probably the Brewers.  If the Brewers can get through that series in 4-5 games and get their rotation set up for the NLCS, they'll have a big advantage.

I haven't paid any attention to the American League this year, but it looks like the Rays, White Sox and Astros have solid leads in their divisions, with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Yankees fighting for the two wild card spots (sorry Mariners).

Also, this is pretty cool, but it's kinda sad that 20% of the stadium's tickets are actually available for a team that's led its division all season:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32213468/milwaukee-brewers-star-christian-yelich-give-away-10000-tickets-series-st-louis-cardinals

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #552 on: September 15, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
As a Giants fan, the one team I'd rather not face in the playoffs is the Brewers, especially if they can set up their rotation properly. Their pitching has been the toughest on the Giants all year.

If we do indeed get a Dodgers/Giants playoff series this year, that would be amazing, since it's never happened before. That has the potential to be a series for the ages. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #553 on: September 15, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »

Also, this is pretty cool, but it's kinda sad that 20% of the stadium's tickets are actually available for a team that's led its division all season:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32213468/milwaukee-brewers-star-christian-yelich-give-away-10000-tickets-series-st-louis-cardinals

If what I’ve heard is true, most of these seats were the family section ‘no alcohol’ seats.

We like to drink in Wisconsin.  ;)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2021, 07:19:49 AM »

If what I’ve heard is true, most of these seats were the family section ‘no alcohol’ seats.

It's even more amazing that you've got so many of those "no alcohol" seats.   :o

Offline pg1067

« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2021, 09:00:30 AM »

Are there really 10,000 "no alcohol" seats (which I assume is 20-25% of the park's capacity) at a stadium named for beer?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »
I’m just going off of what I heard, but ya, the numbers don’t add up.

And PG, the park was renamed American Family Field starting this season, though us locals still refer to it as Miller Park

Offline pg1067

« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2021, 09:44:50 AM »
And PG, the park was renamed American Family Field starting this season, though us locals still refer to it as Miller Park

Really?  In 2020, my kid and I went to spring training in Arizona for a long weekend, and the first game we saw was the Dodgers at Brewers...at American Family Field.  So...did they rename the Major League stadium after the minor league field?  Obviously, having a shload of alcohol free seats at "American Family Field" makes a lot more sense than at "Miller Park."   :)

By the way, thank you to the Padres for winning the last two games against the Giants.  Only one game now separates the Dodgers and Giants with 15 games left to play for each team (none of which are head-to-head).  I'd say it'll be a fun couple of weeks, but it will probably be too stressful to be truly "fun."  GO BLUE!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #558 on: September 20, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
So...here we go.

Dodgers and Giants have 12 games each remaining, and the Dodgers are down by 1 measly game.

Dodgers have 3 at Colorado and 3 at Arizona, followed by 3 at home against San Diego and 3 at home against Milwaukee.

Giants have 3 at San Diego and 3 at Colorado, followed by 3 at home against Arizona and 3 at home against San Diego.

I'm hoping that, by the time the Brewers come to LA, they'll have long since clinched the NL Central (their magic number is 3) and will be resting players (esp. their best pitchers).  But I think the reality is that the Padres will decide who wins the NL West.  The Giants' series at San Diego should be a bit tougher than the Dodgers series at Colorado.  The Padres still have a small chance at the second wild card.  The Dodgers absolutely need at least 5 of the next 6 games, and hopefully the Giants don't take any more than 4 of their next 6.  I expect the Padres will have been eliminated from playoff contention by the time they get to LA.  We may very well see a one-game playoff between the Dodgers and Giants to decide the division.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #559 on: September 21, 2021, 09:21:03 PM »
Jeez, apparently Gausman is just throwing BP to the Padres right now. :censored
aka Puppies_On_Acid