Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 71932 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2021 MLB Thread
« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »
The Cleveland...Guardians?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2021, 09:23:24 AM »
I like the script logo, as it incorporates the former nickname ending.  Spiders might have been preferable, but we'll get used to it.  Better than the 'Burning Lakes' ;)

Hey, they even got Tom Hanks to narrate the introduction.

Better than the WTFs in DC, who are waiting til NEXT year to get off their arses for long overdue change, or they had to spend so much time defending themselves with their sexual harrassment investigation and cover up.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #492 on: July 23, 2021, 09:51:11 AM »
That's there new name. The Washington Coverups. Nixon is their  mascot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #493 on: July 23, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
The Cleveland...Guardians?

Sigh...  I hate that they're changing this honorific name.

For anyone who doesn't know, for the last dozen years of the 19th Century, Cleveland had a team in the National League (originally in the American Association before jumping ship to the NL) called the Spiders.  One of the Spiders' more popular players was Louis Sockalexis, who was a member of the Penobscot Tribe.  Sockalexis is typically identified as the first "native American" MLB player, and the Spiders were occasionally referred to as the "Indians" because of Sockalexis.  The Spiders disbanded at the end of the Century and were replaced in Cleveland by the Grand Rapids Hustlers, who were renamed the Cleveland Lake Shores.  The team quickly moved through multiple name changes (including Bluebirds and Blues) and eventually settled on the Cleveland Napoleons (or Naps) after their captain and star player, Nap Lajoie.  In the mid-1910s, Lajoie left, so the team changed its name.  The owner gave local baseball writers the task of coming up with the new name, and they chose Cleveland Indians, in honor of Sockalexis.

Over the years, the Indians had what most would characterize as offensive logos, but the Indians also signed and played the American League's first black player, Larry Doby (a guy who, while having been inducted into the HOF, is woefully overlooked simply because he came only about 11 weeks after Jackie Robinson).

Guardians?  Meh...about the most I can say about it is that, at least it's not a dumbass singular name like Heat or Kraken, and it certainly is better than "Cleveland Baseball Team."  I do, however, like that they're basically keeping all of the same logos.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #494 on: July 23, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »
I'm actually fine with the new name.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Dream Team

« Reply #495 on: July 25, 2021, 04:57:35 PM »
Ha ha ha Yankees sssuuuuucckk.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
As a Cleveland fan, I felt the name change was overdue, and Chief Wahoo should have bitten the dust a long time ago.  Guardians was the best of an underwhelming bunch, but even as a Cleveland native, I couldn't think of anything better.  The baseball logo is worse than Hugh Syme's half-assed stock image DT album covers.  Mostly, I just want the Dolans to sell the team to someone willing to spend money to keep the talent around so they aren't serving as a AAAA farm team for the big money clubs.  Even though Cleveland is a football town first, the fans will show up if they know the team is trying to compete and retain their star players.  The 90s are a perfect example of that.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2021, 12:11:05 PM »
The Tigers beat the Twins yesterday.  Miguel Cabrera kicked a field goal as time expired for a 17-14 win.

But seriously, the Tigers scored their 17 runs on 16 hits, not a single one of which was a home run.

Even more remarkably, the Twins hit SEVEN home runs and still lost.  Apparently, this was the fourth time since 1901 that a team hit seven homers in a 9-inning game and lost AND the FIRST TIME EVER that a team outhomered its opponent by seven and lost (and, conversely, the first time that a team was outhomered by seven and won).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #498 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
Looks like the Dodgers have acquired Max Scherzer and Trea Turner for a bunch of prospects.  There's a catcher, who is supposedly a top 20 prospect in MLB, but we've been hearing about him for at least a couple years.  He's 23, and our current starter is 26, so the kid likely wouldn't ever have gotten much of a shot.  There's also a pitcher, who got called up and pitched a couple games over the last week and didn't look at all ready for the bigs.

The Dodgers have been without 60% of their opening day starting rotation for a good chunk of the year (Dustin May had TJ surgery, Clayton Kershaw has had his near annual back spasms, and then there's Trevor Bauer).  After not playing in 2020, David Price seems no longer to be able to handle starting games, and we've been having bullpen games twice out of every pass through the rotation, which has screwed up the bullpen something fierce.

Trea Turner wasn't a need, but he's a helluva throw in guy given that he's got one more year under contract.  I'm now extra geeked for the last two months of the season.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #499 on: July 30, 2021, 11:03:37 AM »
Looks like the Dodgers have acquired Max Scherzer and Trea Turner for a bunch of prospects.  There's a catcher, who is supposedly a top 20 prospect in MLB, but we've been hearing about him for at least a couple years.  He's 23, and our current starter is 26, so the kid likely wouldn't ever have gotten much of a shot.  There's also a pitcher, who got called up and pitched a couple games over the last week and didn't look at all ready for the bigs.

The Dodgers have been without 60% of their opening day starting rotation for a good chunk of the year (Dustin May had TJ surgery, Clayton Kershaw has had his near annual back spasms, and then there's Trevor Bauer).  After not playing in 2020, David Price seems no longer to be able to handle starting games, and we've been having bullpen games twice out of every pass through the rotation, which has screwed up the bullpen something fierce.

Trea Turner wasn't a need, but he's a helluva throw in guy given that he's got one more year under contract.  I'm now extra geeked for the last two months of the season.

LFG!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
Done with baseball for the year. The Cubs are, at best, a Triple A team now. Traded the entire bullpen and all of their best players. Not going to waste 3 hours a day watching that mess.

And I just got the new Marquee network this year and they go and do this.

I feel like a kid again with this team, and that's not a compliment.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »
I'm so confused with the Cubs trading all of their stars away.  I haven't followed them closely for a few years, but all i've read is Ricketts saying that they lost too much money last year because of COVID.  So that's the reason for getting rid of every single expensive player?

So heartbreaking to see those guys get traded away after such a magical 2016 season.  It felt like Bryant, Rizzo and Baez would be Cubs forever.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2021, 02:37:00 PM »
Yeah...I saw the Rizzo trade yesterday, and then both Baez and Bryant today.  Yikes!

I also just saw that, from the 1870s through 1930s, the Cubs never had a losing record for the decade.  Then, from the 1940s through the 2000s, they never had a losing record for a decade (although they only a few games under .500 in the 2000s).  The 2010s were the Cubs' first winning decade since the 1930s (and that's despite having a losing record every season from 2010-14).

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »

Scherzer and Turner is a hell of a haul for the Dodgers. Be interesting to see how close the Giants and Dodgers are at the end of the year. I like the Kris Bryant trade a lot, although I was hoping the Giants would pick up another reliable reliever or 2. I could see the him permanently in left field once Longoria and Belt are back from the IL. Dickerson has been a fun experiment, but he just can't seem to sustain any consistency. Glad they finally DFA'd Tauchman. Outside of the 2 game saving catches he made, he was worthless. Which is too bad, since he looked like he could have been a great addition initially.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2021, 04:58:32 PM »

Scherzer and Turner is a hell of a haul for the Dodgers. Be interesting to see how close the Giants and Dodgers are at the end of the year. I like the Kris Bryant trade a lot, although I was hoping the Giants would pick up another reliable reliever or 2. I could see the him permanently in left field once Longoria and Belt are back from the IL. Dickerson has been a fun experiment, but he just can't seem to sustain any consistency. Glad they finally DFA'd Tauchman. Outside of the 2 game saving catches he made, he was worthless. Which is too bad, since he looked like he could have been a great addition initially.

I didn't see whom the Giants gave up for Bryant, but I did look at his numbers and was surprised at how unimpressive they've been since his MVP season.  The west is just brutal this year and, needless to say, I don't feel good about how the Dodgers have performed against SF and SD.  I guess time will tell once everyone starts getting healthy.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2021, 06:04:48 PM »

I didn't see whom the Giants gave up for Bryant, but I did look at his numbers and was surprised at how unimpressive they've been since his MVP season.  The west is just brutal this year and, needless to say, I don't feel good about how the Dodgers have performed against SF and SD.  I guess time will tell once everyone starts getting healthy.
They traded Alexander Canario (their #9 prospect) and Caleb Kilian (their #30 prospect), so not a huge ask. However, it's basically just a rental, since his contract is up after this season. I don't see him resigning with the Giants either. We'll see.

But yeah, his numbers have been down since his MVP year, but the Giants hitting coaches have worked miracles with the team so far this year, so perhaps they could tweak something with Bryant to get his number back up to MVP caliber.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »
Can’t lie, love the Cubs sending everyone off.

Go Brewers!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #507 on: July 31, 2021, 03:24:11 PM »
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/07/31/jed-hoyer-explains-the-decision-to-trade-all-three-of-bryant-rizzo-and-baez/

Great explanation from Jed Hoyer about why the Cubs traded three of their best players.  I can understand his reasoning - sentimental emotions towards players isn't always the right thing for a team to do.  Doesn't mean I am not sad about it though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: July 31, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »
So as a Mariners follower (purely regional, I cannot call myself a fan), we are not going all in this year, yet we haven't explicitly been told to "wait" as we have been for so many years. Our playoff drought is now old enough to purchase alcohol. How is there any baseball fan alive older than 20 who considers themselves a fan of this franchise?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Well the Astros @ Dodgers for the first time with fans last night went as expected.  :lol 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31954914/los-angeles-fans-give-houston-astros-not-warm-welcome-dodger-stadium

I've seen posts that it got real ugly in the stands.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #510 on: August 04, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
Well the Astros @ Dodgers for the first time with fans last night went as expected.  :lol 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31954914/los-angeles-fans-give-houston-astros-not-warm-welcome-dodger-stadium

I've seen posts that it got real ugly in the stands.

Wouldn't surprise me.  On one hand, that's bullshit.  On the other hand, if you showed up to that game in Astros gear, you were basically asking for it.  When looking at games to attend, I completely avoided this series (although that was easy since it's a Tuesday/Wednesday series).  I also typically avoid games against the Giants.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #511 on: August 08, 2021, 03:12:48 PM »
Giants come from behind late to win again. These guys are straight up gold plated lately.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #512 on: August 08, 2021, 03:42:04 PM »
Giants come from behind late to win again. These guys are straight up gold plated lately.
It's been an amazing season!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #513 on: August 08, 2021, 04:10:11 PM »

It helped the Brewers pen is decimated by Covid right now and the Brewers gave away game two with a horrific defensive play.

I look forward to seeing both teams full strength in the playoffs.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #514 on: August 08, 2021, 04:29:12 PM »
It just seems like every time I tune in, they're pulling this type of stuff off. I got a Dodgers fan at work who actively avoids me now after that last series  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #515 on: August 08, 2021, 04:40:04 PM »
The Sox made quite a move at the Trade Deadline this year. They traded their season away for future considerations.

WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #516 on: August 08, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »
The Sox made quite a move at the Trade Deadline this year. They traded their season away for future considerations.

WTF??
Cubs did the same thing. Although I'm not complaining since we got Kris Bryant out of it!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #517 on: August 08, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »

WTF??
Cubs did the same thing. Although I'm not complaining since we got Kris Bryant out of it!

The difference is that the Sox had the best record in the AL at the Trade Deadline. :censored

Online Dream Team

« Reply #518 on: August 08, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »
Speaking of the Sox, how nice was that today that they kept walking the #9 hitter so that Vlad and Springer could beat them with homers? Stupid and infuriating.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »
Wow Matt Barnes is a clown show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »
Yeah. Ouch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #521 on: August 26, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
Well...the Orioles managed to avoid their 33-year old AL record losing streak by beating Anaheim yesterday.  Notwithstanding, that is a BAD team.

Dodgers and Padres played the longest extra inning game in the Mandfred runner era.  I stopped watching around 10:45 p.m. after the top of the 12th when it was still 1-1.  Turned on MLB Network this morning and saw that the game ended with the Dodgers winning 5-3 after 16 freaking innings.  Dodgers took a 3-1 lead in the top of the 15th, but the Padres tied it in the bottom of the inning, and the Dodgers got a 16th inning dinger from the red hot AJ Pollock to win it.  Fortunately for both teams, both starters went deep into the game (not surprising for a game that was 1-1 after nine innings.

The race in the NL West is CRAZY.  The Dodgers record in August is 17-4, but they've only managed to pick up a half game on the Giants who are 17-5 in August.  The Labor Day weekend series in SF is going to be HUGE.

Meanwhile, the Padres have been so bad (they've lost 11 of their last 13) that the Reds have passed them for the second NL wild card.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #522 on: September 04, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Thanks to an antiquated rule that they refuse to change, a Red Sox starter had another win vultured away from him by a shit bullpen performance. Houck allows 0 runs in 5 innings, Ottavino gives up 3 in the 9th but gets credit for a “win” anyway. Stupid stupid rule. Give Houck the win and Ottavino a blown save.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #523 on: September 05, 2021, 05:51:46 AM »
Thanks to an antiquated rule that they refuse to change, a Red Sox starter had another win vultured away from him by a shit bullpen performance. Houck allows 0 runs in 5 innings, Ottavino gives up 3 in the 9th but gets credit for a “win” anyway. Stupid stupid rule. Give Houck the win and Ottavino a blown save.

That would make zero sense.  Boston won the game in the bottom of the 9th, therefore the last pitcher to pitch for them gets the win. That is just logical.  Yeah, it's goofy that it's also the pitcher who blew the save, but it's the way it is, and the way it should be.  You can't give the win to a pitcher who hadn't been in the game in four innings when the game was then tied in the 9th.  :lol :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #524 on: September 05, 2021, 09:09:33 AM »
Also, wins for a pitcher is one of the dumbest stats in baseball.