Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72569 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #980 on: July 09, 2022, 05:57:55 PM »
So It's Sox/Yanks this weekend and I know these are big games, but as usual,, this is what I hate, and it happened a couple of weeks ago for the Cards/Cubs.

I hate when the Saturday Night Fox game of the week is the SAME matchup as the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

I would really like to see different teams.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #981 on: July 09, 2022, 06:33:15 PM »
So It's Sox/Yanks this weekend and I know these are big games, but as usual,, this is what I hate, and it happened a couple of weeks ago for the Cards/Cubs.

I hate when the Saturday Night Fox game of the week is the SAME matchup as the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

Yup! For me, I like my announcers anyway. I like Matty V, never liked Joe Buck. True story.... I always felt he called Yanks Sox games favoring the Sox or any other team Yanks play when he calls them. I called him out on Twitter years back, he did respond saying its not true, yada yada..... A few weeks later I'm in a hotel in NYC and he walks in standing next to me, I said "hey Joe, its "TomYanks" from Twitter!!!, he says noooo wayyyyy?!?!" It was hilarious and he turned out to be a totally cool dude. I will find the pic of us and post it here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #982 on: July 09, 2022, 06:39:35 PM »

Yup! For me, I like my announcers anyway. I like Matty V, never liked Joe Buck. True story.... I always felt he called Yanks Sox games favoring the Sox or any other team Yanks play when he calls them. I called him out on Twitter years back, he did respond saying its not true, yada yada..... A few weeks later I'm in a hotel in NYC and he walks in standing next to me, I said "hey Joe, its "TomYanks" from Twitter!!!, he says noooo wayyyyy?!?!" It was hilarious and he turned out to be a totally cool dude. I will find the pic of us and post it here.

I never got the impression from Joe Buck that he was ever favoring the Sox.

And hell yes...PIC!!

I also love Matty V.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #983 on: July 10, 2022, 04:35:21 PM »
pg1067

That's very very cool!!!! I enjoy going to Scranton to see the Railriders (Yankees AAA). Friendly and beautiful environment. I'm a Yankee fan but going to Yankee stadium literally sucks. The workers are all miserable and god forbid you try to get a pregame closer look at the field they treat you like a criminal. I watch those games from my comfy chair.

Excluding the original Candlestick, new Yankee Stadium has been the least impressive stadium I've been to.  Very sterile.

Typical Sox/Yanks. Tonight's game is 3 hours old, and we're still in the 6th!

I'm watching the Dodgers and Cubs.  Dodgers gave up 5 runs in the first and are now leading 9-8 in the top of the 4th.  Took about an hour and a half to play the first three innings.

What do you guys think of Joe Davis (if you've heard him)?  He's done some of the Fox Saturday games and will be taking over for Buck for the ASG and World Series.  He's the guy who took over the Dodgers gig when Vin Scully retired.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #984 on: July 11, 2022, 03:33:17 PM »
Never expected the Sox to make that comeback without Devers in the lineup. You never know in this sport.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #985 on: July 11, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »
Never expected the Sox to make that comeback without Devers in the lineup. You never know in this sport.

I know! I think LeMahieu took a shot of Nyquil before the game blowing those fly balls  >:(

Offline pg1067

« Reply #986 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
I'm trying to make sense of the all-star rosters.

Nine guys were voted in from each league (excluding starting pitcher and including DH).

Bryce Harper, who was voted in as the starting DH, is injured, and one of the NL's position player reserves was named to replace him, so the NL has one fewer position player reserve than the AL.  Not sure what that's all about, but I guess things will shake out over the next few days.

Also, it looks like the AL has one extra pitcher, but Shohei Ohtani is listed as a pitcher, in addition to being the starting DH.

I think it's funny that each league has one "legacy selection" on the roster.  The NL took Pujols, and the AL took Cabrera.  Maybe they each get a pinch hit at some point?

A lot of the discussion around here has to do with the starting pitcher.  On merit, it should be Tony Gonsolin (Dodgers) or Sandy Alcantara (Marlins).  However, there's been a lot of talk recently about having Clayton Kershaw start because the game's at Dodger Stadium (and this might be his last ASG).  Kershaw has pitched well this year, but he missed several weeks because of injury, so he's not really deserving.

I gave a moment's thought to picking up a couple of decent seats for the HR Derby for $375 each, but I can't imagine what a nightmare it will be getting in and out of that parking lot.  I'll leave work a little early and watch it from the comfort of my couch.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #987 on: July 12, 2022, 07:25:15 PM »
Oh jeez, getting in and out of Dodger Stadium during all-star weekend would be the stuff of nightmares.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #988 on: July 13, 2022, 06:53:49 AM »
The Red Sox, defensively, are a damn Little League team.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #989 on: July 13, 2022, 08:49:07 AM »

Cordero has directly caused the loss of several games with his horrendous defense. Cora has to make a change.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #990 on: July 13, 2022, 08:51:59 AM »

Cordero has directly caused the loss of several games with his horrendous defense. Cora has to make a change.

The guy is a trainwreck.

Oh,and what a pussy on the mound. After Strahm throws the ball away, now he has to walk off the field with an "injury", as if that was the reason he threw the ball away.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #991 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:04 PM »
The Rays have been giving them fits since 1997.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #992 on: July 14, 2022, 02:52:05 PM »
Yankees got back Tyler Wade today. Personally, I'm very happy about this.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #993 on: July 15, 2022, 03:16:37 PM »
So...the reason I'm in Chicago is a work conference.  The conference finished in the morning today, and the organizers had planned a trip to Wrigley for the Cubs game this afternoon.  Unfortunately, it's been raining most of the day, so the game got postponed.  Sucks for them....but not me!  I wanted Friday afternoon free and went to the game last night!  What an awesome place!  Loved it (even though the Mets spanked the Cubs hard)!  AND, even though the Cubs stink this year, the damn place was 90+% full.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #994 on: July 15, 2022, 03:27:58 PM »
Awesome pics!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #995 on: July 15, 2022, 08:26:48 PM »
Meet your 2022 Boston Red Sox..

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: July 15, 2022, 10:59:03 PM »
Meet your 2022 Boston Red Sox..

That looks about right. Although it's been about the same for the Giants this year too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #997 on: July 16, 2022, 11:21:11 AM »
They keep beating the Yankees no matter who they run out on the field.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: July 16, 2022, 11:36:37 AM »
Someone break up the Mariners! Will this be the year the longest playoff drought in professional sports ends?!?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #999 on: July 18, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
A couple tidbits from over the weekend.

First, someone from Fox is a monumental dumbass:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/07/16/fox-superimposes-yankees-red-sox-logos-9-11-memorial/10080231002/

My son showed this to me, and I initially thought it was someone making a fake, but it was real.  SMH....

Second, I thought this was an interesting graphic.  I don't know who created it, but it gets updated and posted fairly regularly on a very active group on Reddit, and I've never seen it questioned or exposed as being wrong, so I'm assuming it's pretty accurate:

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1000 on: August 01, 2022, 01:06:48 PM »
Brewers send Josh Hader to the Padres. Brewer Nation is upset but I’m more than okay with it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1001 on: August 01, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »
Brewers send Josh Hader to the Padres. Brewer Nation is upset but I’m more than okay with it.

I'm gonna guess it was one of those situations where he initially baffled everyone until they figured out that 85% of his pitches didn't end up in the strike zone.  About right?  did they get something decent in return?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1002 on: August 01, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »

I'm gonna guess it was one of those situations where he initially baffled everyone until they figured out that 85% of his pitches didn't end up in the strike zone.  About right?  did they get something decent in return?

Money, plain and simple. Hader is FA after ‘23, Brewers need to invest in their starting pitching, which is their strength. Life of small market baseball.

Padres gave up their closer, Taylor Rogers, pitcher Dinelson Lamet, and two prospects.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1003 on: August 01, 2022, 04:55:54 PM »
The Red Sox fucking suck!

First off, they blow. Chaim Bloom GTFO!

They just traded my favorite player on the team to the fucking Asstros.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: August 01, 2022, 05:23:17 PM »
All I can say about the trade deadline is, I hope the Giants don't trade Rodon and I hope they put something together to land Soto. Mostly because they need some superstar talent since Posey retired, but partly because the Dodgers shouldn't get him.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1005 on: August 01, 2022, 09:13:42 PM »

Christian Vasquez tormented the Yankees on both sides of the ball. I don't understand why they traded him. I also can't believe Mancini is also an Astro now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1006 on: August 02, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »

??  I know what "GTFO" is, but....

All I can say about the trade deadline is, I hope the Giants don't trade Rodon and I hope they put something together to land Soto. Mostly because they need some superstar talent since Posey retired, but partly because the Dodgers shouldn't get him.

First, I have no interest in the Dodgers getting Soto.  To the extent that the Dodgers need to do anything, getting another outfielder is NOT it (especially one who is a defensive liability).  Also, while I'm a big believer in trading prospects (i.e., people who've never accomplished and may never accomplish anything at the Major League level) for proven superstars, I don't think Soto's increased value to the Dodgers could possibly justify what we'd have to give up to get him.

Second, I don't understand what Washington's rush is to ditch the guy.  He's under team control for the next three seasons after this one.  Maybe it's just that cutting bait means they can get more in return, but it just seems strange.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1007 on: August 02, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
Well...the Soto deal apparently has been done (per JP Morosi).

Padres get Soto and Josh Bell.

Nats get Eric Hosmer (1B), MacKenzie Gore (LHP), C.J. Abrams (SS), Robert Hassell III (OF and Padres #1 prospect), James Wood (OF and Padres #3 prospect), and Jarlin Susana (RHP and Padres #14 prospect).

https://www.mlb.com/news/juan-soto-padres-trade

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1008 on: August 02, 2022, 12:35:59 PM »
Hosmer is coming to Boston. Apparently he rejected the trade to the Nats.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1009 on: August 02, 2022, 01:40:09 PM »
Hosmer is coming to Boston. Apparently he rejected the trade to the Nats.

Hosmer is nice pick up. Plays hard and good clubhouse guy.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1010 on: August 02, 2022, 01:41:37 PM »

??  I know what "GTFO" is, but....

First, I have no interest in the Dodgers getting Soto.  To the extent that the Dodgers need to do anything, getting another outfielder is NOT it (especially one who is a defensive liability).  Also, while I'm a big believer in trading prospects (i.e., people who've never accomplished and may never accomplish anything at the Major League level) for proven superstars, I don't think Soto's increased value to the Dodgers could possibly justify what we'd have to give up to get him.

Second, I don't understand what Washington's rush is to ditch the guy.  He's under team control for the next three seasons after this one.  Maybe it's just that cutting bait means they can get more in return, but it just seems strange.

Enjoy Joey Gallo.  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1011 on: August 02, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
Trading anything other than a bucket of gum for Gallo might be the most baffling move Andrew Friedman has made in his tenure with the Dodgers.

And the Soto deal seems still to be going forward, but they'll have to work out something to replace Hosmer in the package.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1012 on: August 02, 2022, 09:41:29 PM »
RIP Vin Scully.

Not sure if there was a more distinguished voice in baseball than his.  A true legend.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1013 on: August 03, 2022, 04:47:54 AM »
Wow that’s a huge loss. He called games managed by Connie Mack who was born during the Lincoln administration.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: August 03, 2022, 06:58:27 AM »

Here in Baltimore, the O's traded cancer survivor and the face of the franchise, Trey Mancini, to the A**tros.  For four prospects.  Yesterday, they traded their All Star closer Jorge Lopez to the Twins for prospects.  This from an organization that has had five straight losing seasons, three straight 100+ noncovid losing seasons.  This year they're above .500 with a legitimate chance for a wild card.  Since calling up #1 pick from a few years ago, Adley Rutschman, they've been on a roll. A double gut punch to those faithful fans here who've stuck with this dysfunctional family run organization for decades.

Great, get some prospects, so that when some of the current players really hit their stride, they'll trade them to.  They're still paying the price for competing against themselves for re-signing Chris Davis to an overblown contract that they have years to pay off.

RIP Vin Scully.

Not sure if there was a more distinguished voice in baseball than his.  A true legend.

Ernie Harwell, Jack Buck, Bob Prince, Bob Uecker, Dick Enberg, Chuck Thompson, Marty Brenneman to name a few from that era who were special to their fan base.  And he kept on long after most of those passed away.  Many a MLB Saturday Game of the Week and the postseason games where he was a joy for me to listen to.

They could paint a picture of what was going on, tell the great stories, without babbling on and on and interfering with the game. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!