Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72501 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2022, 04:53:54 PM »
Looks like they're banning the shift. I disagree with that. That's strategy. Players need to adjust to the shift instead of hitting into the teeth of it.

I'm actually glad they banned it. It never felt right to me. Was almost always a guaranteed out.

What I really hate is the NL getting the DH. I love the strategy that managers had to mess with to work around the pitcher.

I also don't like the DH, but I came to terms with the reality a long time ago.

From what I've read since I posted earlier,* they did not ban the shift (yet).  Rather, the new agreement gives MLB a "45-day window for the league to implement rule changes for 2023 that include a pitch clock, ban on shifts and larger bases."  Assuming that's right, we won't be seeing any significant changes regarding the shift in 2022.  While I agree that people should learn to hit around the shift, I also don't mind banning it.  I like the idea of two infielders on each side of second base and all infielders must have at least one foot on the dirt.  I don't need to see third basemen catching fly balls in medium deep right field.

However, the Manfred runner will be gone, as will game 163 tiebreakers.  Rather, all playoff spots will be determined by tiebreaker formulas (like those used in the NHL, NFL and NBA).  The game 163 playoff made sense when it determined the pennant winner or one of only two playoff teams in each league, but it's silly with six playoff teams.

* - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10029366-breaking-down-biggest-rule-changes-after-mlb-reaches-new-cba?fbclid=IwAR3stMtz6131S8jPjUOV3upxhZAA5loHuh0HMW1xXyUffV32qiGqnmW8Dg4
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »
Looks like they're banning the shift. I disagree with that. That's strategy. Players need to adjust to the shift instead of hitting into the teeth of it.

I'm actually glad they banned it. It never felt right to me. Was almost always a guaranteed out.

What I really hate is the NL getting the DH. I love the strategy that managers had to mess with to work around the pitcher.

I also don't like the DH, but I came to terms with the reality a long time ago.

From what I've read since I posted earlier,* they did not ban the shift (yet).  Rather, the new agreement gives MLB a "45-day window for the league to implement rule changes for 2023 that include a pitch clock, ban on shifts and larger bases."  Assuming that's right, we won't be seeing any significant changes regarding the shift in 2022.  While I agree that people should learn to hit around the shift, I also don't mind banning it.  I like the idea of two infielders on each side of second base and all infielders must have at least one foot on the dirt.  I don't need to see third basemen catching fly balls in medium deep right field.

However, the Manfred runner will be gone, as will game 163 tiebreakers.  Rather, all playoff spots will be determined by tiebreaker formulas (like those used in the NHL, NFL and NBA).  The game 163 playoff made sense when it determined the pennant winner or one of only two playoff teams in each league, but it's silly with six playoff teams.

* - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10029366-breaking-down-biggest-rule-changes-after-mlb-reaches-new-cba?fbclid=IwAR3stMtz6131S8jPjUOV3upxhZAA5loHuh0HMW1xXyUffV32qiGqnmW8Dg4
The bolded part is exactly how they should implement the banning of the shift, if they ever do it. I'm not 100% against the shift, because I too think hitters should learn to hit around it. It also adds another layer of strategy.

Then again they are taking away a layer of strategy by adding the universal DH, oh well. I've mostly come to terms with it. I hope they never implement the "larger bases" and "pitch clock"

The biggest takeaway though is we get a full baseball season this year! The baseball owners almost screwed themselves over, glad somebody came to their senses...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »
I may have the onset of Brewer Fever.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2022, 09:44:39 PM »
I have no objection to the larger bases.  Supposedly it's to reduce injuries.  I'm not sure that's really a big problem or that it will have a significant impact, but I also don't see any negative in it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #879 on: March 11, 2022, 06:14:54 AM »
Even though I rarely watch baseball anymore, getting rid of the shift is a wise decision.  Baseball is not supposed to be played that way. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #880 on: March 11, 2022, 06:21:25 AM »
Even though I rarely watch baseball anymore, getting rid of the shift is a wise decision.  Baseball is not supposed to be played that way.

If it wasn’t supposed to be played that way a rule would have been in place decades ago. There is no reason a defense shouldn’t be allowed to position themselves in a a way to prevent the offense from scoring. Too much emphasis on hitting home runs over the last 20 years has ruined the game more than the shift.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #881 on: March 11, 2022, 05:23:42 PM »

If it wasn’t supposed to be played that way a rule would have been in place decades ago. There is no reason a defense shouldn’t be allowed to position themselves in a a way to prevent the offense from scoring. Too much emphasis on hitting home runs over the last 20 years has ruined the game more than the shift.

I agree with the last part, but as far as the rule being in place decades, did teams employ the shift in such a drastic manner back then that they do now?  I see telling a shortstop "you have to stay on your side of 2nd base until the pitch is released" as a similar sentiment to a goalie in hockey not being able to go into corners to handle the puck or lineman in football not being able to go down field on a pass play until the QB releases the ball.  Employing the shift the way some teams do now seems to go against the very spirit of fair play. And I am not one of those old school fans who wants it like yesteryear (I think most of baseball's unwritten rules are STUPID and should be thrown in Lake Michigan), but I think outlawing the shift is a good start in making the game a tad less boring than it has gotten.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #882 on: March 11, 2022, 05:25:23 PM »
Now can states get rid of toll booths?

#delusional
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: March 11, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »
Banning the shift and instituting pick clocks is like watching your house burn down and rushing in to make the beds.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #884 on: March 11, 2022, 07:19:43 PM »
Banning the shift and instituting pick clocks is like watching your house burn down and rushing in to make the beds.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: March 11, 2022, 07:23:10 PM »

So tell me why you feel like this?  Because,  baseball is the one sport economy fights change.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Glasser

« Reply #886 on: March 11, 2022, 07:27:39 PM »
LOCKOUT OVER!!! MLB SEASON STARTS APRIL 7!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

AWESOME!!!

So...I haven't had time to look for all the details, but I think the following are true:

- Universal DH

- Larger bases

- Pitch clock (last numbers I heard were 14 and 19 seconds)

All correct?  None of the rest of the stuff really concerns me, but I'm kind of excited about the pitch clock (notwithstanding my March 3 post).  The issue, of course, will come when a pitcher doesn't pitch on time or a batter dicks (or, perhaps, "Nomars" would be a better word) around outside the box.  Are the umpires really going to assess balls and strikes?  The other thing they really ought to do is institute strict bans on managers leaving the dugout for an argument and players leaving the dugout for brawls.  If the batter wants to charge the mound, then whatever ensues ought to be one-on-one.  Players who leave their positions or the dugout to join get an AUTOMATIC one-game suspension with no right of appeal.

From a Dodgers perspective, does Kershaw return?  I have no idea, but I really hope he either retires or returns to the Dodgers.  I'd hate to see him in any other team's uniform.  Do the Dodgers sign Carlos Correa?  I don't think we need him, so I'd rather we don't do it.  Do the Dodgers sign Freddie Freeman?  This one I'd like to see happen.  Freeman at first.  Max Muncy or Gavin Lux at 2B/DH, Trea Turner at short and Justin Turner at 3B (for at least another season or two).  And...the biggie...WTF with Trevor Bauer?  Dodgers can't do anything until MLB takes him off "administrative leave."  Personally, I want him back because he's good and that's really all that matters to me, but I completely sympathize with those who hope he crawls into a hole and dies.

Now I just need to figure out which road games I go to!

You just might get Freeman after all. Damn.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: March 11, 2022, 07:30:06 PM »

So tell me why you feel like this?  Because,  baseball is the one sport economy fights change.

I could be wrong, but I had the sense MLB has issues that are much greater than these small rules adjustments on the field. As such these changes aren't going to do much to either help MLB economically or get fans back in the stands and watching on TV.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: March 11, 2022, 07:34:38 PM »
I think those are essential. Fans are tired of the pace of play and the pitch count helps. The shift is to open up the offensive play. With them banning the spider tact, pitchers can't dominate those at the plate.   

ML Baseball has many issues. This is a step in the right direction.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: March 11, 2022, 07:38:29 PM »
I agree, definitely a step; I just don't know if it is more than a band-aid.

At first I was against banning the shift, but the more I read about it and saw proposals for how to handle, I can say I am on board. I would prefer to have pitchers hit in the NL, but that might be something I can acquiesce on.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: March 11, 2022, 07:45:50 PM »
That's something that's ingrained in our DNA. But for players, that's a plus. The game is damaged. Something has to be changed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #891 on: March 11, 2022, 07:56:39 PM »
I don't think it is fair to switch the NL over to the DH in 2022 since those teams didn't have all offseason to build their rosters around knowing that would be the case, but it is what it is.  Not like a league that used to decide home field advantage in the World Series by whichever league won the freaking All-Star game cares about what is fair.  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: March 11, 2022, 07:58:59 PM »
That I understand but it needed to change. Too bad the owners and players fuck themselves to not give themselves time to adept. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #893 on: March 17, 2022, 08:24:52 AM »
NOT a fan of universal DH. At all.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #894 on: March 17, 2022, 08:43:59 AM »

The DH is all I've really ever known but I have never liked the idea of pitchers hitting. It's romantic old school baseball but it seems like over time the pitchers are just going through the motion.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #895 on: March 17, 2022, 10:26:53 AM »

The DH is all I've really ever known but I have never liked the idea of pitchers hitting. It's romantic old school baseball but it seems like over time the pitchers are just going through the motion.

I had this discussion with my wife last night.  She's a marginal baseball fan at best, but her allegiance growing up (outside Albany, NY) was to the Red Sox, so the DH was normal for her, and she thought it was weird that NL pitchers batted.  I'm not old enough to remember the time before the DH in the AL, but my brother, who is 22 years older than I am, always says, "they haven't played a real game of baseball in the American League since 1972."  Growing up, I kind of liked the dichotomy of pitchers batting in the NL but not in the AL -- especially since there was no interleague play for the first 20 years that I followed baseball.  I particularly liked the dichotomy in the World Series until 1986, when they alternated between AL rules and NL rules on an annual basis.

This morning I learned that the idea of a DH was suggested as early as 1906 by Connie Mack, who supposedly was exasperated by watching Eddie Plank and Chief Bender "flail" at pitches while batting.

Oh yeah...and also...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #896 on: March 29, 2022, 11:56:02 AM »
A day or two late with this, but Albert Pujols signed a one-year contract to return to the Cardinals.

I had kind of hoped that he might come back tot he Dodgers, but this is the right move.  We'll see if he makes it through the entire season.  He needs 17 HR to tie Alex Rodriguez and 21 to hit 700.  I'd love to see him get both, but I'm not sure it's in the cards (pun intended) if he's only a pinch hitter and occasional starter.

Trivia time:  who has the most HR and isn't in (or eligible for) the HOF and who isn't a "steroid guy"?

And in other news, MLB continues to sit on its thumbs with respect to Trevor Bauer.   >:(

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #897 on: March 29, 2022, 02:45:23 PM »
A day or two late with this, but Albert Pujols signed a one-year contract to return to the Cardinals.

I had kind of hoped that he might come back tot he Dodgers, but this is the right move.  We'll see if he makes it through the entire season.  He needs 17 HR to tie Alex Rodriguez and 21 to hit 700.  I'd love to see him get both, but I'm not sure it's in the cards (pun intended) if he's only a pinch hitter and occasional starter.

Trivia time:  who has the most HR and isn't in (or eligible for) the HOF and who isn't a "steroid guy"?

And in other news, MLB continues to sit on its thumbs with respect to Trevor Bauer.   >:(
As far as the homerun trivia, I think it's Gary Sheffield, but I don't remember if he was involved in the whole steroids thing or not.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: March 29, 2022, 03:59:50 PM »
Thought it was McGriff. Didn't remember Sheffield eclipsing 500.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #899 on: March 29, 2022, 04:09:15 PM »

As far as the homerun trivia, I think it's Gary Sheffield, but I don't remember if he was involved in the whole steroids thing or not.

Sheffield wasn't a steroid guy??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #900 on: March 29, 2022, 04:49:03 PM »
Thought it was McGriff. Didn't remember Sheffield eclipsing 500.

McGriff is the winner.  Sheffield had more HR, but he was implicated with Balco.  The top HR hitters who aren't in the HOF are

Bonds - 762 (dropped off ballot after 2022)
Rodriguez - 696 (first became eligible in 2022)
Pujols - 679 (active player)
Sosa - 609 (dropped off ballot after 2022)
McGwire - 583 (dropped off ballot after 2016)
Palmiero - 569 (removed from ballot after 2014 for not getting at least 5% of the vote)
Ramirez - 555 (on ballot through 2026)
Sheffield - 509 (on ballot through 2024)
McGriff - 493 (dropped off ballot after 2019)
Beltre - 477 (eligible in 2024)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 06:00:18 PM by pg1067 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #901 on: March 29, 2022, 05:11:13 PM »
Pujols being back might actually get me back to watching a little regular season baseball again...maybe.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #902 on: April 06, 2022, 07:00:29 AM »
ANyone know - without looking it up - the first DH and the team?

Also, if you want to watch something sad and heartbreaking, watch the "30 For 30" about Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry (even though Judd Apatow is the director, it's still very good).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #903 on: April 06, 2022, 08:51:44 AM »

Also, if you want to watch something sad and heartbreaking, watch the "30 For 30" about Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry (even though Judd Apatow is the director, it's still very good).

For some reason Ken Griffey Sr. popped into my head,  it really have no clue.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #904 on: April 06, 2022, 09:27:44 AM »

Ron Blomberg - Yankees

Offline pg1067

« Reply #905 on: April 06, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »

Griffey Sr. made his MLB debut in August 1973, which was more than halfway through the first season in which the DH was used.  However, he played exclusively in the National League until 1990 and didn't play in a game in which the DH was used until 1976.  The first DH for a National League team was Dan Driessen of the Reds in the 1976 World Series.*

* - No DH was used in the World Series from 1973-75.  Starting in 1976, they alternated between NL and AL rules on an annual basis.  Starting in 1986, they started using the DH in all games played in the AL team's stadium and not in games in the NL team's stadium

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: April 06, 2022, 09:36:59 AM »

Griffey Sr. made his MLB debut in August 1973, which was more than halfway through the first season in which the DH was used.  However, he played exclusively in the National League until 1990 and didn't play in a game in which the DH was used until 1976.  The first DH for a National League team was Dan Driessen of the Reds in the 1976 World Series.*

* - No DH was used in the World Series from 1973-75.  Starting in 1976, they alternated between NL and AL rules on an annual basis.  Starting in 1986, they started using the DH in all games played in the AL team's stadium and not in games in the NL team's stadium

Correct on all counts. 

I actually played "DH" a couple games for my high school baseball team.  One of my friends tried to start calling me "Bloomberg" but it didn't stick thank god.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #907 on: April 06, 2022, 09:43:36 AM »
Correct on all counts. 

I actually played "DH" a couple games for my high school baseball team.  One of my friends tried to start calling me "Bloomberg" but it didn't stick thank god.  :)

LOL

For the record, I knew Blomberg was the first ever DH and I knew the progression of how the DH was used in the World Series, but I had to look up the specific dates and the bit about Driessen being the first NL DH.

By the way, the other DH in the game in the game in which Blomberg became the first DH to bat is a member of the Baseball HOF.  Can you name him without looking it up?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: April 06, 2022, 10:12:46 AM »
Correct on all counts. 

LOL

For the record, I knew Blomberg was the first ever DH and I knew the progression of how the DH was used in the World Series, but I had to look up the specific dates and the bit about Driessen being the first NL DH.

By the way, the other DH in the game in the game in which Blomberg became the first DH to bat is a member of the Baseball HOF.  Can you name him without looking it up?

WOW, now THAT is a great question. I don't KNOW, but my guess will be... American League, Yankees playing either the Red Sox or the Orioles, and so... Carl Yastrzemski or Frank Robinson.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: April 06, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »
I actually played "DH" a couple games for my high school baseball team.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol