Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 71946 times)

Offline frogprog

Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #1190 on: November 06, 2022, 05:52:15 AM »
As a Phillies fan, I'm glad the Mets didn't even get past the wild card round
 ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: November 06, 2022, 05:57:46 AM »
Happy for Verlander.  And Dusty Baker.

Extremely happy for Trey Mancini.  The former Oriole had a rough postseason, then made one of the two sterling defensive plays in Game 5.  He finally ended his 0 for the playoffs with a single in his first AB last night.  Only playing because Houston's starting 1B was injured. 

And, the cancer survivor will always be in the highlight reel, as he was the first to hug Kyle Tucker after the final out.

https://www.mlb.com/video/astros-win-the-world-series
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1192 on: November 06, 2022, 10:50:48 AM »
Happy for Verlander.  And Dusty Baker.

Extremely happy for Trey Mancini.  The former Oriole had a rough postseason, then made one of the two sterling defensive plays in Game 5.  He finally ended his 0 for the playoffs with a single in his first AB last night.  Only playing because Houston's starting 1B was injured. 

And, the cancer survivor will always be in the highlight reel, as he was the first to hug Kyle Tucker after the final out.

https://www.mlb.com/video/astros-win-the-world-series

Perfectly said! As a Yankee fan I still always pulled for Mancini even when we played the O's, not only because he's a survivor/warrior, but seems to be an extremely nice guy. Same for Dusty.  :heart

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1193 on: November 06, 2022, 02:06:53 PM »
I'm happy for Cristian Vasquez. He was my favorite guy on the Sox when they traded him to Houston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1194 on: November 15, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »
I'm very happy the Yankees resigned Anthony Rizzo for 3 years. 2 years guaranteed at 17 mil a year with a club option for a 3rd.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1195 on: November 15, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »
I'm very happy the Yankees resigned Anthony Rizzo for 3 years. 2 years guaranteed at 17 mil a year with a club option for a 3rd.

That's a reasonable contract and a good signing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1196 on: November 15, 2022, 03:47:09 PM »

That's a reasonable contract and a good signing.

Absolutely! Now lets see what happens with Judge.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1197 on: December 07, 2022, 06:42:59 AM »
Aaron Judge to stay with the Yankees, 9-year $360M   :eek
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1198 on: December 07, 2022, 07:48:58 AM »
Baseball is broken.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1199 on: December 07, 2022, 10:57:21 AM »
I dunno...the fact that he stayed with the Yankees instead of taking an extra year at the same annual number from the Padres says something (although it would be poetic justice for the Yankees to lose a big name free agent to was is, for all intents and purposes, a small-market team).

Dodgers cut bait with Codey Bellinger and he signed with the Cubs.

The Rangers are becoming interesting.

The Dodgers haven't done jack shit other than to bring back Clayton Kershaw for another year (a good thing).  Hard to complain with Betts and Freeman at the top of the lineup, and Will Smith is a top 5 offensive catcher, but the cupboard's pretty thin after that.  Our infield will be Freeman, Max Muncy and Gavin Lux, but I don't think anyone is afraid of Muncy or Lux.  And right now, our top 2 outfielders other than Betts are Chris Taylor and his 32.3% strikeout rate as a Dodger and Clay Thompson's brother.  Ain't no one gonna cry for us, but I'm thinking 2023 might the first season since 2012 with no playoff baseball in Socal (which does not include SD).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1200 on: December 07, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »
Context before I comment on Judge:

I'm a lifelong local Yankees fan. First game I remember being at was 1984 against the Tigers at Yankee Stadium. Apparently I was there in 78 or 79, and was brought up to the broadcast booth, where both Bill White and Phil Rizzuto signed a ball for me (which I subsequently, stupidly, played with in the early 80s and lost). Cut my teeth in the 80s with the bad Yankees teams. (I remember Mel Hall hitting a grand slam against the Red Sox on Labor Day to beat them, which was like the highlight of like three seasons total - lol.) Mattingly was my guy. Grew up as an adult in the same age bracket as Jeter, who became my favorite player. Season ticket holder (partial) in 1997. And out here in Cali now, I go to a couple of games whenever the Bombers are in town.

So I'm not a fake fan who knows zero about their history, nor am I a fan based on the big run in the mid-to-late 90s. I lived through all those losses in the 80s and early 90s.

Now that's out of the way, I am happy. Happy for the Yankees, happy for the fanbase, and just happy in general. It would have seemed wrong if Judge left the team after such a historic season. Is it an overpay of mammoth proportions? Absolutely. You don't pay a guy 40 mil a season for his age 31 to age 39 seasons. Particularly a big guy, where history suggests that bat speed slows down significantly in the mid-30s. But I feel the Yankees had no choice. They'd be raked over coals for letting Judge go/if Judge decided to leave. I fully expect Judge to be named Yankees captain (first since Jeter) and it's really fitting. I like the way he's even-keeled, is a leader, and a great face for the franchise.

But it stands to reason that this contract will ultimately continue to destroy MLB baseball finances. It's not my money, nor anyone else's here. But going to games is going to skyrocket further, as younger guys who come up look to pass that 40 mil AAV. The next guy of huge significance I can think of is Juan Soto. And if Soto has a monster year in San Diego this upcoming season (45 homers, domination, etc.), I can easily see him signing an even longer deal (given how much younger he is than Judge) for a bigger AAV. The Judge deal will have a huge ripple effect.

Now, had Judge left and went to the Giants or even San Diego, I wouldn't be one of the meatball Yankees fans that got mad at him. Him leaving wouldn't be about money. I was confident that the Yankees would pay him the same or more than anyone else. So it would come down to where he wants to play. I would never be mad if he went to San Francisco. That was his boyhood team growing up. I mean, it'd be like me playing for Orioles, and then having a chance to leave and go play for the Yankees once I hit free agency. Even if the O's offered more, there's no way I wouldn't. Plus, he has family in the Central Valley (for those non-Northern Californians, Judge grew up in Linden, California, which isn't the Bay Area at all - at least a couple hours inland. It's a rural town in the middle of nowhere). His parents still live there. So I would have understood. I would have been bummed, but I wouldn't have been one of those pompous idiot Yankees fans that burned his jersey and criticized him. (I would have, if he would have gone to Boston though. ha ha ha ha.)

So as a lifelong Yankees diehard and a lover of the team's history, I'm thrilled. But the game needs to do something about these contracts. A HARD CAP is needed. It is spiraling out of control. I know that the players union will fight that tooth and nail. But to save the game from itself, it is very, very needed. As is a salary FLOOR. Teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh take all this luxury tax and pocket it, putting shit out on the field. That's wrong.

One of the first answers is getting rid of Manfred, and as much as it pains me to say it - installing Theo Epstein. The guy is (this is making me throw up in my mouth a bit) brilliant and perfect for the position. He knows what needs to be done, and can navigate the waters. I just hope the cap and floor happen soon.

Anyway, happy day for this Yankees fan.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1201 on: December 07, 2022, 12:19:41 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: December 07, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »
 :rollin

Let's be real though. Bartolo was 3 bills, minimum. And still is, wherever he is pitching in independent ball these days.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1203 on: December 07, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
Im a Yankee fan and I think that contract is flat out irresponsible. If he has 4 good years I'd be pleasantly surprised. We need pitching. But its not my money.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1204 on: December 07, 2022, 04:49:41 PM »
*sigh* The Giants losing out on another big name free agent. Same old Giants front office not able to close a deal. All I can say is they better sign Correa, Rodon, and Senga. They should also probably go after Nimmo. The Giants have tons of money they could spend. It will be a huge slap in the face of the fanbase if they come out of the offseason signing a bunch of nobody's again.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1205 on: December 07, 2022, 05:33:52 PM »
As a 55 year Mets fan, I'm disgusted with this offseason!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1206 on: December 08, 2022, 06:21:46 AM »
Man the Sox losing Bogie SUCKS. Such a class act and steady, reliable player. I guess that means he moves to the outfield or DH with Tatis at short and Machado at 3rd in San Diego?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:42:53 AM by Dream Team »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1207 on: December 08, 2022, 06:51:00 AM »
Can't Machado opt out, of did I hear that correctly?

Might they try and move on from Tatis?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1208 on: December 08, 2022, 09:34:58 AM »
Surprising to see the Padres sign Bogaerts.  He's an upgrade from Ha-Seong Kim, but Kim is going to be an excellent MLB shortstop.  I'd love to see the Dodgers pick him up, but it would have to be an indirect acquisition.  Tatis is light years behind Kim and Bogaerts at SS and is going to move to centerfield.  Either 2023 is going to be the Padres' year (at least as far as the division goes) or they're going to completely implode.

Machado can opt out after the 2023 season.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1209 on: December 08, 2022, 03:47:03 PM »
There's no doubt the Yankees will be sucking wind on the back end of Judge's contract, but for the immediate future he's actually worth a bit more. I saw at least one reputable analytics site estimate that his production this year was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $92MM. So he'll be a bargain for a few years and then an albatross for a few years and we just have to hope the former outweighs the latter.
Photobucket sucks.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1210 on: December 09, 2022, 12:20:17 AM »
Jeez, the deal for Bogaerts is more insane that the Judge deal. 11 year contract for someone who is already 30 years old? Is it going to take a 15 year contract to sign Correa now? :tdwn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1211 on: December 10, 2022, 10:41:22 PM »
And the Mets just signed Senga.......Seriously, the Giants have more money to spend than any other team right now and they've done exactly nothing to bolster the roster, all the while all the best free agents are all being signed by other teams. I've been patient with Farhan Zaidi's approach to running the team, but he is way too gun shy to go after big time free agents and I'm losing faith in him. He can't close the big deals. The last big time free agent acquisition the Giants made was Bonds. The only other big time stars they've had have been home grown and there's only been 2 in recent memory, Buster Posey and Will Clark. The fans have already expressed their displeasure with the lowest attendance since AT&T Park opened (not counting the 2021 covid season). With Posey gone and the team dwelling in mediocrity, attendance will be even lower next year without a superstar (or 3) to put butts in seats.

Missing out on Judge was a huge blow. Then Nimmo, then Senga. Then Bogaerts signing with the Padres makes them the most dangerous team in the NL West (assuming the Padres can find one more decent starting pitcher). The Giants will finish in 4th place in the division next year (and under .500), mark my words.

If by some miracle Farhan can find the stones to offer Correa an 11 year 350 million deal, that won't be enough to make a difference. Correa isn't what I would call a superstar. He's above average at hitting and a great defender, but that's it. They better offer Rodon a big contract so the Yankees don't take him too. And they should definitely make a trade offer for Bryan Reynolds. That might be enough to put the Giants in playoff contention next year. Maybe....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1212 on: December 11, 2022, 02:23:48 PM »
Who the heck is Senga?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1213 on: December 11, 2022, 03:47:02 PM »
The latest big name Japanese player.

As a Mets fan I'm just in awe of all the spending. It's so strange to have an owner that really does not give a shit about money and is all about stacking the team. I don't want to sound spoiled but I do think we're one impact bat short of being completely solid on paper although we have a couple of rookies that looks promising.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1214 on: December 13, 2022, 08:15:34 PM »
It's looking more and more likely the Giants won't get Correa or Rodon. What the hell are they doing? They talked up a big game for the offseason, with the #1 priority being to sign a "superstar" caliber player. The upper management pitches to these players must be terrible or something, because no big name player wants to sign with them... It's been this way ever since Farhan came aboard.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1215 on: December 13, 2022, 11:53:35 PM »
..........................nevermind. I guess the only way the Giants could get anyone to sign is to give them a ridiculous contract....13 years?!?! No opt out, no trade clause...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1216 on: December 14, 2022, 06:10:46 AM »
Right. These huge contracts almost always become an albatross.

With the Redsox not paying Bogearts...I have no problem with that in the end, but they fucked that up early, lowballing at every chance. But at the end of the day, they had their price and you had to respect that. Of course I have my price when it comes to buying tickets.
What fumes people around here is that everything around Fenway is so monetized. The prices are fucking outrageous.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1217 on: December 14, 2022, 08:17:27 AM »
Right. These huge contracts almost always become an albatross.

Not only that.....but my pet peeve about it all is yeah....some of these players are pretty good.....but they are not nearly as 'great' as they are pimped out to be. Tatis Jr., Machado, Correra....Story.....ANY of these pitchers who are getting these huge deals.....they're just good players. It's baffling to me how Soto and these above average players are touted as 'superstars' when they aren't

Good for them I guess on getting paid but my oh my how standards have fallen.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: December 21, 2022, 08:58:48 AM »
"Correa has a possible chronic condition?! SIGN HIM FOR 12 YEARS!" - Steve Cohen

It is so funny watching the second class baseball citizens of New York try (and fail) to build a sustainable winning franchise. At least the effort is there. Oh, the Muts. Always entertaining.

:lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1219 on: December 21, 2022, 10:40:53 AM »
Any word on what the condition is? Wondering what type of bullet the Giants dodged.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1220 on: December 21, 2022, 10:57:48 AM »
If this tweet is to be believed it was an old potential injury concern prior to him playing. Seems like a strange reason to back off but there may be more behind it.

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605606867467526144?t=hDBz6CRSIIyT82aJo2nqFA&s=19

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1221 on: December 21, 2022, 11:18:39 AM »
If this tweet is to be believed it was an old potential injury concern prior to him playing. Seems like a strange reason to back off but there may be more behind it.

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605606867467526144?t=hDBz6CRSIIyT82aJo2nqFA&s=19

Yeah, that alone seems a pretty thin reason. Wonder if they had buyer's remorse or something?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1222 on: December 21, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
The Giants backing off Correa should be taken seriously as they desperately wanted a big name there. Cohen can at the very least can sell his jersey.....  :loser:  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1223 on: December 21, 2022, 11:47:12 AM »
Well that's a blow to the Giants. They will be competing for last place with the Rockies this year. In the long run it may be a dodged bullet....but at this point who knows. The Giants fans at large won't be happy though. I expect attendance to plummet even farther this year.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1224 on: December 21, 2022, 01:19:44 PM »
Well that's a blow to the Giants. They will be competing for last place with the Rockies this year. In the long run it may be a dodged bullet....but at this point who knows. The Giants fans at large won't be happy though. I expect attendance to plummet even farther this year.

Won't say I'm dissapointed, but going 0/2 in signing big names isn't a good look for the upcoming season.