Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72399 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #1120 on: October 11, 2022, 05:28:10 PM »
Not gonna lie. That one really hurt.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: October 11, 2022, 06:23:16 PM »
Was listening to this live on the radio. When Ray was called in, they went to a break so I switched over to the other local channel, and they were all questioning the move to Ray. I switched back to to hear the HR, then switched back again. There was a lag, and it was disheartening to hear the guys just fall silent when they saw what I had heard 10 seconds previously. Up 4-0, then 6-2... this did hurt.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1122 on: October 11, 2022, 09:13:06 PM »
The Phillies bitch-slapped the Braves, and the Mariners are (hopefully) about to close out the Astros in game 1.  Hope that trend doesn't continue with the Padres and Dodgers!

FUCK!  That's an absolute killer for the Mariners, and I don't expect they'll bounce back.

Luis Castillo needs to be dominant and you never know. Sadly Padres look lost so far.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1123 on: October 12, 2022, 11:35:11 AM »
The Phillies bitch-slapped the Braves, and the Mariners are (hopefully) about to close out the Astros in game 1.  Hope that trend doesn't continue with the Padres and Dodgers!

FUCK!  That's an absolute killer for the Mariners, and I don't expect they'll bounce back.

Luis Castillo needs to be dominant and you never know. Sadly Padres look lost so far.

Frankly, scoring three off Urias was a hell of an accomplishment.  He hadn't given up more than 2 runs in any start since mid-July.  But the Dodger showed off why they'll be so formidable.  We have several dominant starters who CAN go more than five innings, but we also have a near endless stream of solid to excellent bullpen guys.  Graterol only threw one pitch yesterday, so he'll be good to go today, and neither Blake Treinen nor Tommy Kahnle even got into the game.  Even Chris Martin could probably throw an inning after only throwing 11 pitches yesterday.  And, on top of them, we have starters, Dustin May and Andrew Heaney, who are likely bullpen guys in this series (of course, May is coming off an injury and didn't get any game action before the end of the regular season).

Today's game is crucial.  Yu Darvish gives the Dodgers problems, BUT our lineup is patient enough that we usually manage to get him out of the game on pitch count after 5 or 6 innings.

By the way...I nailed both ALWC series but missed both series in the NL.  The Phillies v. Braves matchup is interesting.  The Phils bitch-slapped the Braves through the first 4.5 innings.  The Braves made a mighty comeback in the 9th.  I just hope the series goes the full 5 games.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1124 on: October 12, 2022, 12:25:41 PM »
You have to feel for the Mariners. Personally, hating the Cheatstros as I do, I hope they find a way to rally and get gm 2. Castillo is a beast, so anything is possible. I really like the Mariners as a team. They may be overmatched by the Cheatstros though.

Yanks took care of business, even with Judge whiffing 3x. Here's hoping Nasty Nestor can shut them down in gm 2, and wrap this up pretty quick, hopefully with a sweet in three games, or at the most, four.

I find the Padres-Dodgers series to be the most compelling of all of them right now. We'll see who out duels who in gm 2. Feeling like Darvish will get the win and tie this thing up at 1.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: October 12, 2022, 08:10:22 PM »
Now that Mariner fans have had a day to digest this, we can realize we haven't been punched in the gut like this decades, because we haven't been in a position to be punched in the gut like this for decades.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1126 on: October 12, 2022, 08:12:31 PM »
I know the reasons (TV, ratings, blah blah), but having an off day on Monday for everyone and then two of the series having an off day again today after Game 1 yesterday is just flat out stupid.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1127 on: October 13, 2022, 01:16:42 AM »
I know the reasons (TV, ratings, blah blah), but having an off day on Monday for everyone and then two of the series having an off day again today after Game 1 yesterday is just flat out stupid.

And the weather isn't supposed to be good here in NY for game 2 (weather was perfect for off day today) so I'm prepared for a Friday game 2. Ridiculous.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1128 on: October 13, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »
What they usually do in the division series is have one league start on day 1 and the other on day 2, with both leagues following the 2-travel day-2-travel day-1 format (although sometimes they will have no off day between games 4 and 5).  Not sure why they screwed with that this year.

Having the off day in the two AL series between games 1 and 2 is just bizarre (especially since the Yankees and Astros had almost a week off before game 1).  They've already postponed the NY-CLE game to tomorrow, so they get two days off between games 1 and 2, and there's only one game today, and it starts at 12:30 Pacific time.  And then we get all four series with no off days between games 3-4-5 (Friday through Monday).  Just weird.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: October 15, 2022, 06:05:29 PM »
This Mariners game! I don't even know what the right emoji is!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1130 on: October 15, 2022, 06:16:13 PM »
WHAT. A. FREAKING. GAME.

Still 0-0 in the 12th. I’m out and about listening to it on the radio but I can’t pull myself away from it. Waiting for my wife to get out of the grocery store right now so that I can turn it on the TV as soon as we get home
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: October 15, 2022, 08:02:26 PM »
Good lord!

Edit... Well crap.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:31:46 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1132 on: October 16, 2022, 06:36:45 AM »
So, the NLCS will have two teams that didn't even win 90 games, while the 111-win Dodgers, 101-win Mets, and 101-win Braves are all out.

MLB has truly now become just like the NHL to where the regular season really doesn't matter all that much.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1133 on: October 16, 2022, 11:16:22 AM »
I don't even know what to say about the Dodgers.

We had 3 guys who performed decently at the plate (Trea Turner, Freeman and Muncy).  Everyone else was hot garbage.  Can't hit with RISP.  Can't hit the other way.  Swinging for the fences when all we needed was a lousy single.  Yesterday's loss was on the bullpen, but the series loss is squarely on the offense.  Not even sure how this gets fixed.

Ugh....

Go Cleveland.  Go Phillies.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1134 on: October 16, 2022, 11:23:03 AM »
How about the Guardians!! That was one hell of a comeback against the Yankees last night.  Here’s hoping they can close them out tonight.

Man, the Dodgers are kind of the 21st century version of the 90’s Atlanta Braves. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1135 on: October 16, 2022, 11:33:14 AM »
Yeah...I caught the end of the Cleveland game.  That was awesome.

And yeah....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1136 on: October 16, 2022, 04:40:53 PM »
So, the NLCS will have two teams that didn't even win 90 games, while the 111-win Dodgers, 101-win Mets, and 101-win Braves are all out.

MLB has truly now become just like the NHL to where the regular season really doesn't matter all that much.

I don't understand. If the Phillies and Padres lost, the season would've mattered...more?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1137 on: October 16, 2022, 05:41:20 PM »

I don't understand. If the Phillies and Padres lost, the season would've mattered...more?

More teams in the playoffs mean the best teams (over the course of a 6-month season) are less likely to dominate in October like many years ago.  Don't get me wrong, this is more fun, and I still relish the 83-win Cardinals winning it all in '06, so no complaints outta me.

How about the Guardians!! That was one hell of a comeback against the Yankees last night.  Here’s hoping they can close them out tonight.

Man, the Dodgers are kind of the 21st century version of the 90’s Atlanta Braves.

It's crazy to think that that Braves team only won one WS, and that is the case with the Dodgers who have been one of the top teams in the league every year now for a decade and have just 1 ring to show for it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1138 on: October 16, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »

More teams in the playoffs mean the best teams (over the course of a 6-month season) are less likely to dominate in October like many years ago.  Don't get me wrong, this is more fun, and I still relish the 83-win Cardinals winning it all in '06, so no complaints outta me.

Well...it sounded like you were complaining.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: October 17, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »
F Cleveland.

Go Yanks, although based on what I've seen this series, I'm not confident they come away with the win tonight. Hope so. I wasn't sold on Cole beating them last night, and after he let up that homer, I thought that was it. But to his credit, he settled down and then dominated for the rest of his stint.

The Dodgers...lol. That team, man...retaining Dave Roberts was dumb. They win IN SPITE of the man.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1140 on: October 17, 2022, 02:35:44 PM »
A Yankees fan that doesn't like Dave Roberts... ::)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: October 17, 2022, 03:06:54 PM »

:lol

He's a moron and you know it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: October 17, 2022, 03:20:16 PM »

:lol

He's a moron and you know it.

He gift wrapped Game 5 for the Sox in 2018.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1143 on: October 17, 2022, 05:03:36 PM »
I'm waiting for the delayed start to the Yankee game! Jamo starting this one and I'm sure everyone but Cole are in play. Yanks need to strike first!!! Keep Kwan off the bases as well. I feel good going into this.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: October 17, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
Which may not start until????

Frickin TV. All division series should have started last Tuesday with the one day off Thursday.

And both LCS should have started tomorrow

Oh well
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1145 on: October 17, 2022, 06:42:37 PM »
Which may not start until????

Frickin TV. All division series should have started last Tuesday with the one day off Thursday.

And both LCS should have started tomorrow

Oh well

Still waiting! All stadiums should have a retractable roof.On a side note the Yankees organization needs to just STOP with this no beard mustache only and hair length bullshit. Its not the 50's anymore, let players focus on their game rather than worry about shaving.  :tdwn
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:55:25 PM by Glasser »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: October 19, 2022, 10:00:02 AM »
Yanks were really irresponsible last night. Partying like they won something. The goal is winning the WS. If they had a day off, that would be one thing. But they play tonight against Houston. Unreal. If they get blown out tonight against Verlander, I wouldn't be surprised at all. So dumb. Save the partying until you actually do something.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1147 on: October 19, 2022, 10:23:31 AM »
Yanks were really irresponsible last night. Partying like they won something.

All teams do it now. It is ridiculous though, I agree.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: October 19, 2022, 10:25:56 AM »

All teams do it now. It is ridiculous though, I agree.

I don't care if they celebrate. Just not when you have a game the next day. That seems really irresponsible.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1149 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Damn Dodgers. All that money and talent and can't last one series. 10 straight postseasons, 9 have failed.  It's comical and predictable at this point.  :censored :loser:
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1150 on: October 20, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
Damn Dodgers. All that money and talent and can't last one series. 10 straight postseasons, 9 have failed.  It's comical and predictable at this point.  :censored :loser:
They might be the most mismanaged team in baseball.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1151 on: October 20, 2022, 01:07:46 PM »

21st century version of the 90's Atlanta Braves.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1152 on: October 20, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
The Yankees look like they're taking Benadryl before these last few games. They're fried.  :| :-[

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1153 on: October 21, 2022, 08:18:35 AM »
Carpenter's at bat to end that game was a joke.  It felt like I was watching another Dodger game.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: October 21, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »
The Yankees look like they're taking Benadryl before these last few games. They're fried.  :| :-[

I'm not surprised. Judge carried them from like July onwards. Now that he's slumping a bit, they can't do a damn thing. And the Yankees are only built to win one way - power. If they can't hit dingers, they won't win. It's one of the reasons I'm so upset with Cashman. He tried to address it (getting Bader, bringing up Peraza and Cabrera), and D.J.'s injury isn't his fault. BUT, this should have been addressed a couple seasons ago. He stuck with Sanchez for how many years when we all knew he was trash. (Seriously, what did Sanchez have on Cashman, or my seriously, is Cash's ego so big he couldn't admit it sooner and dump the guy?) Mistake after mistake. He never addressed the need for a big time closer. It was only a matter of time that the league realized that Clay Holmes is hittable. He played in the National League, and when you trade between leagues, the players usually do better before the rest of that league catches up. Cash should have traded Chapman three years ago. We all saw a few years back that he was relying on secondary pitches. Should have gotten rid of him while he still had value.

I'm sorry, but while the Yankees had another good season, and I'm thankful for that, I'm old school. You play and expect to be the absolute best every year. Otherwise, what's the point? I've been a diehard since I was old enough to know what baseball was. My first game was 1979 at the old stadium, but the first one I remember was 1984 (saw Dave Winfield having a smoke in one of the side tunnels and he waved at me - ha ha). Like thousands, I've been through it all with this team. But the buck stops with Cashman. A new line of thinking is necessary. He's been the GM since...1998, I believe. Great career, and I am absolutely appreciative of what he's done. But he's clearly built this team to survive on power and has not addressed its bullpen. It's time for new blood.

If the Yankees sign Aaron Judge this offseason and do it "responsibly" with say a six-year, 240 million deal, then you HAVE to find a trade partner for guys like Stanton, Hicks, etc. Reinvest that money into players who can play small ball and the bullpen. Cashman overpaid for Cole, who frankly, IMO, is not worth anywhere near what he provides.

Big moves are necessary. We'll see if the Steinbrenner family ponies up and does it.