Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72426 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #1085 on: October 03, 2022, 05:22:27 PM »
Pujols hit a HR in his first ever AB at Busch Stadium in 2001.

He hit a HR today in last ever AB (in the regular season) at Busch Stadium.

What a legend.

Hopefully this link works.  It's Wainwright, Pujols and Molina all being pulled from the game together.  Cool moment.

https://fb.watch/fW01u4X-ao/

Yep, great stuff.  Wainwright is obviously not a HOFer, but he is a god here in St. Louis, so it was great to see him get the moment with the two 1st ballot HOFers.  :tup :tup

I don't know anymore.  His numbers are comparable to Roy Halladay (who I don't think should have been elected but was).  Pitchers seem to be getting in left and right with numbers that wouldn't have gotten them a sniff 20+ years ago.

I said to more than one person that, if I had caught Pujols #700, my ask would have been (1) meet Pujols; (2) signed Pujols bat; (3) a few signed Pujols balls (one of which I'd keep and the rest I'd distribute to friends); and (4) a ball signed by Pujols, Molina and Wainwright.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1086 on: October 03, 2022, 06:03:14 PM »
Rangers are pitching to Judge as they said they would. Lets see what happens. I remember when Mark Mcgwire hit his 70th HR and the team offered him some goodies for it but the fan wanted to additionally meet Mark, he said no (like an asshole). The fan then sold the ball for 3 mil.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1087 on: October 04, 2022, 07:51:05 PM »
Aaron Judge seems like a really good kid. It's hard not to like him. He seems really respectful to all that's going on around him. I can't believe he's 30, tbh. Seems and looks a lot younger.

I have no idea what the $$ is going to be, but he's in such great shape, I don't think the "over 30" long term deal applies to him, in terms of years. I think he easily has 6 great years left in him with 2 or 3 good ones to follow. I think he performs very well for another 8 years or so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: October 04, 2022, 10:39:33 PM »
I just heard the Mariners might not host a playoff game this year. Which made me think "eh... what...?"

I just looked at the schedule. I had no idea the WC games were all played in the higher seed's park. So after finally making the playoffs for the first time in 21 years and having something to root for, Mariner fans might miss out on rooting for their team in their home park in the playoffs.  :facepalm:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1089 on: October 05, 2022, 11:24:15 AM »
I just heard the Mariners might not host a playoff game this year. Which made me think "eh... what...?"

I just looked at the schedule. I had no idea the WC games were all played in the higher seed's park. So after finally making the playoffs for the first time in 21 years and having something to root for, Mariner fans might miss out on rooting for their team in their home park in the playoffs.  :facepalm:

Under the old format, the second wild card team didn't get a home game either.  Obviously, it's a little difference for a one game deal, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense to have travel in a three-game series -- especially when it's something like the Mariners against the Jays.  They're starting the playoffs late because of the lockout and, with the expanded playoffs, we're guaranteed to have at least one World Series game in November and possibly have it go as late as November 5.  I'm still an advocate for cutting the regular season down to 144 (or so) games, but I'm sure that'll never happen.  Just imagine if there's an early blizzard in the northeast that forces World Series games to be postponed for several days (but I digress).

My postseason predictions:

ALWC
Tampa Bay @ Cleveland
Seattle @ Toronto

NLWC
Philadelphia @ St. Louis
San Diego @ NYM

ALDS
Cleveland @ NYY
Seattle @ Houston

NLDS
NYM @ Los Angeles
St. Louis @ Atlanta

ALCS
NYY @ Houston

NLCS
Atlanta @ Los Angeles

WS
NYY @ Los Angeles
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1090 on: October 05, 2022, 12:10:09 PM »
You predict the Yankees getting past the Astros? Wow! I hope you're right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1091 on: October 07, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
The best time of the year!

FOUR playoff baseball games at least today, tomorrow and next Tuesday (and maybe also on Sunday).

Holy shit!  The Rays and Cleveland game has already started?!  It's 9:30 in the morning (12:30 in Cleveland)!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1092 on: October 07, 2022, 02:16:15 PM »

FOUR playoff baseball games at least today, tomorrow and next Tuesday (and maybe also on Sunday).

Holy shit!  The Rays and Cleveland game has already started?!  It's 9:30 in the morning (12:30 in Cleveland)!

Game went fast, too.  2 hours, and 17 minutes.  That's only six minutes longer than The Astonishing!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1093 on: October 07, 2022, 03:13:39 PM »

Game went fast, too.  2 hours, and 17 minutes.  That's only six minutes longer than The Astonishing!

No doubt far more entertaining.

Cards gave up two hits through 8 innings and are now crapping the bed in the 9th.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1094 on: October 08, 2022, 06:43:02 PM »
Incredible start to the playoffs.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1095 on: October 08, 2022, 06:45:01 PM »
The Indians game was ridiculous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1096 on: October 08, 2022, 07:02:16 PM »
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!   I was out doing some running around when I briefly caught the M's game at Costco when we were down 4-1 in the bottom of the 5th.   I figured the game would most likely come back to Seattle for Game 3 (EDIT - just discovered that the WC is all in one ball park…that’s dumb), and I walked away from the TV to do the rest of my running around. 

Now I discover that not only did Toronto go up 8-1 as soon as I walked away from the TV, but then the M's came screamin back and won the game 10-9!!!   HOLY CRAP!!  Sounds like I missed one of the biggest games in Mariner's history!!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 07:27:45 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1097 on: October 08, 2022, 07:05:25 PM »
Wow. That's crazy. I gave up on that game at 8-1.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: October 08, 2022, 07:35:39 PM »
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!   I was out doing some running around when I briefly caught the M's game at Costco when we were down 4-1 in the bottom of the 5th.   I figured the game would most likely come back to Seattle for Game 3 (EDIT - just discovered that the WC is all in one ball park…that’s dumb), and I walked away from the TV to do the rest of my running around. 

Now I discover that not only did Toronto go up 8-1 as soon as I walked away from the TV, but then the M's came screamin back and won the game 10-9!!!   HOLY CRAP!!  Sounds like I missed one of the biggest games in Mariner's history!!!

With due respect to a fellow local, the "biggest games in Mariners history" list is a short one.

That being said... IT IS ON HERE IN SEATTLE! GO MARINERS!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1099 on: October 09, 2022, 07:25:27 AM »
Man, the sports gods really hate Toronto, don't they?  :lol :lol :lol

The Cardinals get knocked out with two straight home losses, but I think most fans still consider this season one they will look back on fondly simply due to the return of Pujols and his race to get and finally achieve 700.

See ya in the HOF in five years, Albert and Yadi.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »
Pujols? Definitely. Molina? I could see him taking a bit longer. I don't personally view him as a HOF player although he has been a very very good player.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2022, 07:57:02 AM »
Pujols? Definitely. Molina? I could see him taking a bit longer. I don't personally view him as a HOF player although he has been a very very good player.

Anyone that doesn't put Molina on their ballot simply has a prejudice against catchers. I am not saying Jorge Posada is a HOFer, but he literally fell off the ballot for so few votes. Jason Varitek literally received just one vote.

I'd put both in, honestly.

As far as Molina, I'd think the 8 Gold Gloves could help separate him. Although I think Gold Gloves can also be won on reputation, but he's been the premier catcher of his generation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2022, 07:58:55 AM »
Never underestimate the stupidity of voters.  Jim Edmonds won 8 (count 'em, 8!!) Gold Gloves and didn't get enough votes in his first year of eligibility to remain on the ballot, so voters in general do not seem to care all that much about defense, but it is a bit different for catchers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1103 on: October 09, 2022, 08:05:43 AM »
Never underestimate the stupidity of voters.  Jim Edmonds won 8 (count 'em, 8!!) Gold Gloves and didn't get enough votes in his first year of eligibility to remain on the ballot, so voters in general do not seem to care all that much about defense, but it is a bit different for catchers.

Not really. What other catchers have gotten in recently. Ivan Roidrigues?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2022, 10:28:11 AM »

With due respect to a fellow local, the "biggest games in Mariners history" list is a short one.

Come on…I can think of 5-6 games in the ‘95 season alone that would be on that list!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1105 on: October 09, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »

Not sure, to be honest.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1106 on: October 09, 2022, 11:22:47 AM »
Piazza got in in 2016.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1107 on: October 09, 2022, 11:25:07 AM »
Piazza getting in right away was a good example of the voters caring about offense and not defense.  He was a catcher who won a grand total of ZERO Gold Gloves.  Zero. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1108 on: October 09, 2022, 11:29:56 AM »
All bout them dingers, baby.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: October 09, 2022, 11:33:25 AM »

Come on…I can think of 5-6 games in the ‘95 season alone that would be on that list!

Right, 27 years ago.  :biggrin: But yes, I know, I was there (or... here...) in 95. I've also been here in the vast wasteland since then. I was at Fred Meyer yesterday and saw two elderly people going through the racks of Mariner t-shirts. It shouldn't have caught my eye, but it did considering the timing. That's what a fun, likable, winning team can do. It brought a smile to my face.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1110 on: October 09, 2022, 11:48:12 AM »

Anyone that doesn't put Molina on their ballot simply has a prejudice against catchers. I am not saying Jorge Posada is a HOFer, but he literally fell off the ballot for so few votes. Jason Varitek literally received just one vote.

As far as Molina, I'd think the 8 Gold Gloves could help separate him. Although I think Gold Gloves can also be won on reputation, but he's been the premier catcher of his generation.
As far as defense goes, both Posada and Varitek were well below average. Offensively they were both decent but not great. Neither are HoF worthy in my opinion.

Molina was probably the best defensive catcher of this generation. That alone should put him in the HoF. His offensive numbers, outside of his peak years from 2011-2013, are not great. The problem is most HoF voters don't seem to care about defensive metrics.

The best overall catcher of this generation is Buster Posey. You can call me biased, but if you look at defense, the only reason he didn't get more gold gloves was because he played in the same league as Molina. Then offensively he added more value to his team in the 12 years he played than Molina did in his 19 years, or Posada did in 17 years.

As far as Piazza goes, he was a liability at catcher. He was always well below average in throwing runners out and in defensive runs saved. He was a heck of a batter though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1111 on: October 09, 2022, 01:17:36 PM »
The Indians game was ridiculous.

Right?!  My son and I went to a preseason hockey game, and I saw at one point that the Jays were up 8-1.  The game ended and we drove home, and I turned it on and the Mariners had just taken the lead 10-9.  I let out an audible "holy shit!"

Seriously weak efforts from the Rays and Cards (too bad for Pujols and Molina).  HUGE game from the Mets yesterday.  Really glad that's the one series going 3 games.

:lol :lol

Molina is a no-brainer, but I can't go there with either Posada or Varitek.

There are only 19 catchers in the HOF, which is the second lowest of any position (there are only 17 3Bs).  The only catchers to play since 1970 in the HOF are Johnny Bench (1989), Gary Carter (2003), Carlton Fisk (2000), Mike Piazza (2016), Ivan Rodriguez (2017), and Ted Simmons (2020).  I think Simmons getting in (via the veterans committee) was a bit of a joke, but putting him in but not putting Molina in would be a travesty of epic proportions.

Molina was probably the best defensive catcher of this generation. That alone should put him in the HoF. His offensive numbers, outside of his peak years from 2011-2013, are not great. The problem is most HoF voters don't seem to care about defensive metrics.

It wasn't just probable.  There's no question Molina was the best defensive catcher of his generation (and maybe ever).  The stolen base has been in decline for may years, but Molina completely removed it from his opponents' arsenal.  Not only that, but his ability to handle the pitching staff was unparalleled.  If ever there was a player who was a coach on the field, it was Molina.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1112 on: October 09, 2022, 02:07:12 PM »

There's no question Molina was the best defensive catcher of his generation (and maybe ever).  The stolen base has been in decline for may years, but Molina completely removed it from his opponents' arsenal.  Not only that, but his ability to handle the pitching staff was unparalleled.  If ever there was a player who was a coach on the field, it was Molina.

Agreed.  The list of pitchers who were really good to great for the Cardinals and then not nearly as good on other teams in his era is not short. He knew how to call a game as good as any catcher ever, and teams were literally scared to try and steal bases on him for a decade.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1113 on: October 09, 2022, 02:29:18 PM »

There's no question Molina was the best defensive catcher of his generation (and maybe ever).  The stolen base has been in decline for may years, but Molina completely removed it from his opponents' arsenal.  Not only that, but his ability to handle the pitching staff was unparalleled.  If ever there was a player who was a coach on the field, it was Molina.

Agreed.  The list of pitchers who were really good to great for the Cardinals and then not nearly as good on other teams in his era is not short. He knew how to call a game as good as any catcher ever, and teams were literally scared to try and steal bases on him for a decade.

Is that Molina or the Cards Orgainization's secret training sauce??

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1114 on: October 09, 2022, 02:44:25 PM »
Ok I'm definitely coming around on Molina. I didn't realize he threw out like 40% of runners. Dude was a damn sniper.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1115 on: October 09, 2022, 08:03:41 PM »
Molina was also awesome at picking guys off 1st base.  He and Pujols used to have a secret signal where if the runner cheated too much off first during the pitch, as soon as Molina caught the ball, he would fire it to first.  I lost track of how many guys he picked off like that.  And I suspect many runners were hesitant to take too big of a lead because of it.

In the meantime, the Mets are getting clowned at home tonight, which resulted in a desperate move by their manager.  Oof.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1116 on: October 09, 2022, 08:15:35 PM »
Mets just didn't want it bad enough but I'm used to their seasons ending like a wet fart. I don't think they'd make it passed the Dodgers but at least they got one win.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1117 on: October 11, 2022, 07:39:25 AM »
There was a total of 4 runs scored in 24 innings in the Rays-Guardians series. The Guardians will need a lot more than three runs against the Yankees.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1118 on: October 11, 2022, 05:02:51 PM »
The Phillies bitch-slapped the Braves, and the Mariners are (hopefully) about to close out the Astros in game 1.  Hope that trend doesn't continue with the Padres and Dodgers!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1119 on: October 11, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
The Phillies bitch-slapped the Braves, and the Mariners are (hopefully) about to close out the Astros in game 1.  Hope that trend doesn't continue with the Padres and Dodgers!

FUCK!  That's an absolute killer for the Mariners, and I don't expect they'll bounce back.