Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 71940 times)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..
« Reply #1050 on: August 18, 2022, 06:53:27 PM »
By the way, I had a dream last night that I was watching a baseball game and a brawl broke out and the guy who was at-bat (tall, skinny guy, so maybe Cody Bellinger) actually clocked one of the umpires with a punch.  Unfortunately, I woke up before learning how long of a suspension he got.   :lol
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1051 on: August 20, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »
Josh Hader has been a mess in San Diego, maybe the Brewers weren’t so dumb after all.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1052 on: September 13, 2022, 11:38:13 AM »
So I just checked today's updated stats. Ohtani is pitching .600 ball for a .433 team, ranking 4th in strikeouts and 6th in ERA. Batting-wise, he's 2nd in Total Bases, 3rd in Homers and Runs Created, 4th in Slugging and Extra Base Hits, 5th in OPS+ and RBIs. You get the idea. Even more impressive overall than last year. The most amazing player ever, which doesn't mean best ever of course.

Putting it in perspective, he's hitting like an average season for Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell and pitching like an average season for Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez (based on their career OPS+ and ERA+).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2022, 12:32:04 PM »
So I just checked today's updated stats. Ohtani is pitching .600 ball for a .433 team, ranking 4th in strikeouts and 6th in ERA. Batting-wise, he's 2nd in Total Bases, 3rd in Homers and Runs Created, 4th in Slugging and Extra Base Hits, 5th in OPS+ and RBIs. You get the idea. Even more impressive overall than last year. The most amazing player ever, which doesn't mean best ever of course.

Putting it in perspective, he's hitting like an average season for Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell and pitching like an average season for Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez (based on their career OPS+ and ERA+).

Impressive, but he's not the AL MVP.  The Angels would probably better without him.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1054 on: September 14, 2022, 07:16:22 PM »
The Yankees have a losing record during Judge’s red-hot 2nd half. So . . . ?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: September 14, 2022, 07:16:56 PM »

Impressive, but he's not the AL MVP.  The Angels would probably better without him.

How would they be better without him?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1056 on: September 14, 2022, 07:22:10 PM »

Alternatively, Judge is probably the reason they're in first place right now.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1057 on: September 15, 2022, 10:36:18 AM »

How would they be better without him?

Admittedly, my comment was a bit of hyperbole.  The more accurate point was that the Angels would probably be in the same position (4th place in the division and 21 "games under .500") without him.  And, if the rest of the team weren't sitting around marveling at him, they might do something on their own.

Alternatively, Judge is probably the reason they're in first place right now.

Exactly.  Obviously, there are two camps with the MVP:  those who think it should go to the most outstanding player - regardless of how much impact he does or doesn't have on his team - and those who focus is on how valuable the player is to his team.  I tend to be in the latter camp and think that Judge has been much more important to the Yankees than Ohtani has been to the Angels.

In other news, my son and I made what's becoming an annual trip out to Phoenix to watch the Dodgers play the D-backs.  We were treated to a briskly played game (2:37 game time) and a 6-0 Dodgers win.  The stadium was probably 2/3 full, and I'd bet that 75% of the crowd were Dodger fans.  I just wish there were more things to do in Phoenix that didn't involve being outside.  On the other hand, we got to go to Fuddruckers for the first time since they closed the last SoCal store in 2019 or early 2020.

The Dodgers clinched the NL west the day after we were there and they're the only team to have clinched a playoff birth.  Looking at the standings on ESPN:

The Yankees have a 6 game lead in the AL east, and ESPN says they have a 99.9+% chance of making the playoffs.  Same with the Trashtros in the AL west.  The Indians Guardians are up by 4 in the AL central.  For the three wild cards, the Jays, Rays and Mariners are all listed with a 95+% chance of making the playoffs (although the Orioles are only 4 games back of the Rays), so it looks like the 6 AL teams are pretty well set, with only the order TBD.

In the NL, the Mets and Braves are separated in the NL east by only half a game, while the Cardinals have a comfortable 8-game lead in the Central.  Whichever of the Mets or Braves that doesn't win the east will get a wild card, and Philly seems to have another spot locked up.  The Padres and Brewers are separated by 2 games for the final wild card spot.  The Braves and Mets play in the second to last series of the year, so that could be for all the marbles.  In the meantime, the Braves have six games against the Nats and seven against the Phillies.  The Mets seem to have an easier schedule, with nine games against the Pirates/A's/Marlins (three of the six teams who have been officially eliminated from playoff contention) and a 3-game series against the Brewers being their only games against a good team.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1058 on: September 22, 2022, 03:24:50 PM »
Albert Pujols stands 2 HR away from 700 for his career.  Cards are playing the Dodgers this weekend, and my son and I have tickets for Saturday's game.  While we'll be sitting along the first base line (and, thus, have no chance of being near any HR), I'm hoping we get to see a bit of history in addition to getting the bobblehead that prompted me to buy the tickets in the first place.  Of course, if he hits #699 tonight or tomorrow, the Saturday game is going to be packed, which kinda sucks, but oh well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1059 on: September 22, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
Albert Pujols stands 2 HR away from 700 for his career.  Cards are playing the Dodgers this weekend, and my son and I have tickets for Saturday's game.  While we'll be sitting along the first base line (and, thus, have no chance of being near any HR), I'm hoping we get to see a bit of history in addition to getting the bobblehead that prompted me to buy the tickets in the first place.  Of course, if he hits #699 tonight or tomorrow, the Saturday game is going to be packed, which kinda sucks, but oh well.

I am selfishly hoping he saves 700 for next week at home, but have fun!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1060 on: September 22, 2022, 06:34:24 PM »
I started watching the Sox-Yanks game and fucking Fox...all they did was gab on and on about Roger Maris. I don't fucking care.
That shit ass broadcast literally forced me to figure out how to get the damn football game on my TV. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1061 on: September 22, 2022, 08:57:16 PM »
I started watching the Sox-Yanks game and fucking Fox...all they did was gab on and on about Roger Maris. I don't fucking care.
That shit ass broadcast literally forced me to figure out how to get the damn football game on my TV. :lol

It wasn't that bad man. Just bitter huh?   :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1062 on: September 24, 2022, 05:37:25 AM »
Pujols hit 699 AND 700 last night in LA!

Legend.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: September 24, 2022, 10:24:12 AM »
Watched a clip of 700 this morning. Made me smile just seeing how happy he looked running the bases.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1064 on: September 24, 2022, 02:19:26 PM »

I am selfishly hoping he saves 700 for next week at home, but have fun!

Yeah...that was quick.  Hopefully it thins the herd a bit for the game tonight.

Watched a clip of 700 this morning. Made me smile just seeing how happy he looked running the bases.

I'm guessing a lot of it was that he was happy to have it over.  Took him a few games to get #699, but then there was ZERO wait/angst over getting #700.

Apparently the guy who caught ball #700 left the game almost immediately and is keeping the ball.  Supposedly he turned down several offers made by the Cardinals.  He hasn't revealed publicly whether he's going to try and sell it.  Contrast this with the guy who caught #699 and immediately handed it over in exchange for the opportunity to meet Pujols.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1065 on: September 24, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »
I can't say I blame the guy.  Number 700 is likely worth a lot of money. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1066 on: September 24, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »
The Judge 72 HR ball if he ever hits it will be about 3 million. A wealthy collector already said he would pay it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1067 on: September 25, 2022, 02:46:20 PM »

I guess, but I absolutely don't get it.  It's no different than #697, 698 and 699 (only three prior players ever did it), but I don't live in that world.

The Judge 72 HR ball if he ever hits it will be about 3 million. A wealthy collector already said he would pay it.

72?  You mean 62, which he almost certainly will hit?  The number I heard was $2M, but who knows.  Either way, it's absolute insanity for a ball that's only a team/AL record but more than 10 off from the all-time record.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2022, 03:00:34 PM »

I guess, but I absolutely don't get it.  It's no different than #697, 698 and 699 (only three prior players ever did it), but I don't live in that world.

72?  You mean 62, which he almost certainly will hit?  The number I heard was $2M, but who knows.  Either way, it's absolute insanity for a ball that's only a team/AL record but more than 10 off from the all-time record.

Yes sorry 62, I'm shot. If he hits 72 that would be impressive.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1069 on: September 29, 2022, 07:45:35 AM »
Love this comment from Posnanski:

Only baseball could turn what should be a celebration of Aaron Judge's wonderful season into an excuse to bash some of the greatest and most thrilling players who ever played the game.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1070 on: September 29, 2022, 09:37:17 AM »
Kind of an amusing interview on Dan Patrick's show this morning.  Apparently, the Blue Jays' bullpen coach caught the ball.  And he's also married to one of my alternative universe wives, Sara Walsh.  Dan had both of them on the show talking about her tweets in the wake of him simply handing over the ball to someone with the Yankees.

Sometimes I think no one hates successful baseball players more than baseball fans.  If you must hate on Judge, do it for the right reason:  he plays for the Yankees.   :biggrin:

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1071 on: September 29, 2022, 04:55:09 PM »
Kind of an amusing interview on Dan Patrick's show this morning.  Apparently, the Blue Jays' bullpen coach caught the ball.  And he's also married to one of my alternative universe wives, Sara Walsh.  Dan had both of them on the show talking about her tweets in the wake of him simply handing over the ball to someone with the Yankees.

Sometimes I think no one hates successful baseball players more than baseball fans.  If you must hate on Judge, do it for the right reason:  he plays for the Yankees.   :biggrin:
And that would be the only legitimate reason to hate on him. Other than that he seems like a good dude.

In a related matter, I read an article about how 3 top MLB analysts are saying the Giants are a likely landing spot for Judge this offseason. As much as I would like that, it will take a ridiculous contract to sign him and I just don't think Farhan Zaidi would pull the trigger on a 10 year contract on a 30 year old player. It's just not how he does business.

The Giants post-game analysts were also talking about potential lineups for next season and who the Giants were likely to keep and who they may sign.
If I were Farhan, this is what I'd shoot for:
C - Joey Bart
1b - Brandon Belt (assuming he doesn't retire, if he does I suppose Lamonte Wade or sign
2b - Thairo Estrada
3b - Wilmer Flores (he's already been re-signed)
SS - Brandon Crawford
LF - Joc Pederson
CF - They'd have to go internally here and stick with Austin Slater or Mike Yastrzemski, since there isn't anything in the free agent market this offseason. They could trade for someone, but they'd have to give up top prospects
RF - Aaron Judge
DH - Could platoon JD Davis and Jason Vosler (who has impressed me in a small sample size this year), or they could take a chance on Jorge Soler, he'd be cheap.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1072 on: September 29, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »

And that would be the only legitimate reason to hate on him. Other than that he seems like a good dude.

Yeah...it's a very inconvenient trait of his (I joke, of course, and agree that he seems like one of the good ones).

In a related matter, I read an article about how 3 top MLB analysts are saying the Giants are a likely landing spot for Judge this offseason. As much as I would like that, it will take a ridiculous contract to sign him and I just don't think Farhan Zaidi would pull the trigger on a 10 year contract on a 30 year old player. It's just not how he does business.

The Giants post-game analysts were also talking about potential lineups for next season and who the Giants were likely to keep and who they may sign.
C - Joey Bart
1b - Brandon Belt (assuming he doesn't retire, if he does I suppose Lamonte Wade or sign
2b - Thairo Estrada
SS - Brandon Crawford
LF - Joc Pederson
CF - They'd have to go internally here and stick with Austin Slater or Mike Yastrzemski, since there isn't anything in the free agent market this offseason. They could trade for someone, but they'd have to give up top prospects
RF - Aaron Judge
DH - Could platoon JD Davis and Jason Vosler (who has impressed me in a small sample size this year), or they could take a chance on Jorge Soler, he'd be cheap.

I can't tell if this is legit or it's just an easy thing to say because he grew up in central Cal and rooted for the Giants.

And isn't Brandon Crawford about ready to hang it up?  He's another guy I hate but who appears to be a good guy.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1073 on: September 29, 2022, 07:23:10 PM »

Yeah...it's a very inconvenient trait of his (I joke, of course, and agree that he seems like one of the good ones).

C - Joey Bart
2b - Thairo Estrada
SS - Brandon Crawford
LF - Joc Pederson
RF - Aaron Judge

I can't tell if this is legit or it's just an easy thing to say because he grew up in central Cal and rooted for the Giants.

And isn't Brandon Crawford about ready to hang it up?  He's another guy I hate but who appears to be a good guy.
Crawford has one more year on his contract and then I imagine he will think about retirement. Especially if his buddy Brandon Belt retires this offseason. It will truly be a new era for the Giants once that happens, already no more Madbum, no more Posey, and then the Brandons will be gone and so no more players will remain from the 2010's world series teams.

And as far as Judge signing with the Giants. I have no idea how likely it is. I figure he will just resign with the Yankees, but I do think the Giants will make an offer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1074 on: September 30, 2022, 06:03:11 AM »
Phillies get swept by the Cubs opening the door for the Brewers to get the last wild card and the Crew are like, nah we don’t want it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1075 on: September 30, 2022, 09:49:42 AM »
Phillies get swept by the Cubs opening the door for the Brewers to get the last wild card and the Crew are like, nah we don’t want it.

Tee times. Gotta get the hell out of Milwaukee and back to the sunshine before the weather turns. Priorities.  :lol

Judge hit 61 while I was at a bar having a drink before the Porcupine Tree show on Wednesday. The whole crowd there erupted when he did it. So cool to see history. But...61 was in game 155. Was hoping it was in gm 154 to be equal to games played by Ruth. But hey, I'm glad he got it. Now just one more and I'll be a happy fan.

And cheers to Judge and his agent. That massive contract this offseason. Going on record now...going to be 7 years, 280 million. My Lord...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1076 on: September 30, 2022, 10:46:03 AM »
Four teams fighting for two spots in the National League (although the Giants would need both the Phillies and Brewers to have a complete meltdown over the last week).

I'd love to see the Orioles make it in the AL.

Dodgers' magic number is 1 to clinch home field throughout the playoffs.

It's weird the way the playoff brackets will work out this year.  The NL East winner (Mets currently have a 1 game lead on the Braves) will likely play the winner of the Cardinals v. Phillies/Brewers wild card series, while the Dodgers will likely get the winner of the series between (probably) the Padres and whichever team doesn't win the NL East.  HUGE incentive to win the NL East (along with the bye in the WC round), and a bit of a disadvantage for the Dodgers (simply because the #2 NL East team will be perceived to be much stronger than the Cards/Phils/Brewers).

In the AL, Astros and Yankees get the byes.  Cleveland will get whichever of the Rays/Mariners/Orioles get the #3 WC spot, and Toronto will probably be the #1 WC team and will host #2, which means you're probably looking at the Jays at Astros and Cleveland at Yankees for the Division round.

Judge hit 61 while I was at a bar having a drink before the Porcupine Tree show on Wednesday. The whole crowd there erupted when he did it. So cool to see history. But...61 was in game 155. Was hoping it was in gm 154 to be equal to games played by Ruth. But hey, I'm glad he got it. Now just one more and I'll be a happy fan.

If it's any consolation, Ruth only played 151 games in 1927, and Judge got #61 in his 151st game played this season.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: September 30, 2022, 10:53:59 PM »
The Mariners made the playoffs, for the first time since 2001! I am so glad we are no longer the answer to the trivia question of who has the longest current playoff drought in the 4 major American sports (now it's the Sacramento Kings at 16 seasons).

Of course the Mariners still have the distinction of being the only currently active MLB team to never make it to the World Series.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1078 on: October 02, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
Congrats to the Mariners.  I don't know what they have for pitching, but I have a feeling that it won't be another 21 years before the next playoff appearance.

The Dodgers have now clinched home field throughout the playoffs.

The 1-3 slots in the AL are locked:  (1) Houston; (2) Yankees; (3) Cleveland.  Wild card slots are close to being locked.  The Jays will be either #1 or #2.  The Mariners could finish in any of the three spots, and the Rays will be either #2 or #3.

In the NL, The Dodgers are locked at #1, and the Cards are locked at #3.  The Braves beat the Mets yesterday, so they are now the #2 division seed.  One more game between the two today (ESPN game of the week at 7EDT).  Whichever team doesn't win the division will be WC1 and host a series against either the Padres, the Phillies or the Brewers.

It'll be interesting to see how how things play out with the byes.  The last regular season games are on October 5, and the WC series will all be October 7-9 (or just 7-8).  The division series will all start on October 11, which means the four top two teams will have five off days between games.  They'll be able to have their pitchers well-rested and in the order they want, but will they be rusty?  The wild card winners will be rolling, but their pitchers may be pretty spent - especially if they have bullpen or extra inning games (no Manfred runners in the playoffs).

EDIT:  Braves are about to sweep the Mets and take a 2 game lead with each team having 3 to play.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 08:30:46 PM by pg1067 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1079 on: October 02, 2022, 03:25:22 PM »
Pujols hit a HR in his first ever AB at Busch Stadium in 2001.

He hit a HR today in last ever AB (in the regular season) at Busch Stadium.

What a legend. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1080 on: October 02, 2022, 06:57:30 PM »

What a legend.

I'm glad that he got a positive last year and a half of his career after all those years of (well-paid) exile in the Anaheim Gulag.  If you had made a bet before the 2012 season that, over the life of Pujols' contract, the Angels would have two ROYs and four MVPs but only three winning seasons, make the playoffs only once and go 0-3 in those games, you'd have made a shitload of money.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1081 on: October 02, 2022, 08:19:45 PM »

What a legend.

Hopefully this link works.  It's Wainwright, Pujols and Molina all being pulled from the game together.  Cool moment.

https://fb.watch/fW01u4X-ao/

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1082 on: October 03, 2022, 12:01:18 PM »
Well, Aaron Judge has 4 games, roughly 16 at bats to reach 62 home runs which would crown him the American league leader as well as Yankees single season home run leader. Personally I don't see it happening but its baseball so who knows. Bottom line is he's had an amazing season but it raises the question if the Yankees should give him what he's asking contract wise. My answer is simple, NO. He will be 31 years old next season and to give him 400 plus million dollars is just flat out irresponsible. I can't see him wearing another uniform and all of us fans want him to stay but how many great seasons does he have left? Paying players on past accomplishments is insane. I hope the Yankees and Judge come to a reasonable agreement, if not, I'm sure another team will overpay him.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1083 on: October 03, 2022, 12:31:05 PM »
The Yankees have four games (including (a doubleheader) against the Rangers.  The Rangers obviously have nothing to lose, so I'd hope they'll pitch to him.  Wouldn't surprise me if he gets it in the second game of the DH tomorrow or the final game of the season after the Rangers pitching staff has been hammered over the first three games.

As far as going forward, the big question is how willing is he to take a "discount" (more in terms of years than dollars per season) to remain a Yankee.  I googled to see who his agent is and discovered it's actually a guy to whom I have a vague connection.  He's represented by PSI Sports and, more specifically, Page Odle and David Matranga.  David Matranga had 7 MLB at bats in 2003 & 2005 with the Angels and Astros.  His only career hit was a HR in his first career at bat.  We have a handful of signed cards from his minor league and college career because my wife worked with his mother (and I believe met him a couple times).  Not that that really has anything to do with Judge.  Anyway, he's not rep'd by a guy like Scott Boras, so I doubt he'll just run wherever he can get the most money.  If he's smart (as he seems to be), he'll likely realize that staying with the Yankees will be better for him in the long run.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1084 on: October 03, 2022, 04:53:26 PM »

What a legend.

Hopefully this link works.  It's Wainwright, Pujols and Molina all being pulled from the game together.  Cool moment.

https://fb.watch/fW01u4X-ao/

Yep, great stuff.  Wainwright is obviously not a HOFer, but he is a god here in St. Louis, so it was great to see him get the moment with the two 1st ballot HOFers.  :tup :tup