Author Topic: David Lee Roth has officially lost the plot  (Read 5598 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: David Lee Roth has officially lost the plot
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »
You don't ride a 20-foot inflatable microphone across the stage in ass-less chaps if you're going for vocal technique credibility.

June 30, 1991
Great Woods, Mansfield, MA

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:32:25 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »
I saw the first show of the reunion with Roth (and Wolfgang), in Charlotte, and it was amazing.  No, he didn't sing every word, yes, he did his "Dave!" schtick.   But honestly, in the moment, I didn't miss Michael Anthony even for a minute (and I get he's good; I saw him in a club with Chickenfoot and he was solid as a rock).

Respect to those that have a different opinion, but if you're in for two-hours of sweaty rock and roll, good ole fashioned arena show, you can do a LOT worse than Van Halen.  Mike Anthony is a big boy, he can make his own decisions; I don't feel bad for him at all.   Not that E/AVH have been perfect (I still don't understand what happened with the artwork fiasco) but it's THEIR BAND.  I don't begrudge Ed wanting to play with his son, even for a second (and his kid is GOOD). 

I don't know what that looks like in 2019 - I personally don't think we'll see Van Halen ever again, not sustained - but I think some of the criticisms aren't fair in that they don't account for the intent.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 02:51:08 AM »
And I'll include this one too, and yes, that is the great Jason Becker.

Sadly, I don't think it was.

Wikipedia:
Although he managed to finish the album, which was released in 1991, he did not join the supporting tour due to his inability to perform on stage; former Lizzy Borden guitarist Joe Holmes took Becker's place on tour.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 03:31:46 AM »
Huh. Well alright then.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 04:02:40 AM »
He did a great job trying to look like him then.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 04:08:55 AM »
I could’ve sworn it was him. There is a boot to the show. I used to have it before I pitched all my tapes. I’ll have to find it and listen for the band intros.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 04:33:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's Joe Homes dressed up (hair and all) to look as much like Becker as possible.  I don't recall how open they were about Becker's illness at that time but I think (although I am sure they didn't lie that it was Becker) it was kept pretty quiet that Becker was on the sidelines.

Cinderella and Extreme supporting - nice lineup.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:47:27 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 04:54:24 AM »
My memory is almost positive that Becker was introduced.

Pretty sure Holmes played with DLR when I saw him in 1994.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 05:08:44 AM »
Bloody Joe Holmes................was announced as touring guitarist out here for an Ozzy gig around the time of Ozzmosis (I think) and so I did't bother going and then Zakk Wylde was subbed back in at the last minute and I was spewing :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2020, 05:13:59 AM »

Did a bit of digging and found a detailed article on it.  Looks like I was incorrect re not lying about it :lol

Work on Roth’s A Little Ain’t Enough finished and a band meeting was called. Jason played every solo, every riff on the album, with rhythm guitar player and pal Steve Hunter helping out on the backing tracks. But it was obvious Jason couldn’t go on.

“Everyone was sad,” he says. “Dave was totally depressed. I tried to make him feel better by talking about football.” They were, he says, “the coolest bunch of guys.” Which made what followed especially hard to take.

When it was announced that Jason had left the band, Diamond Dave mysteriously decided to tell the press that some guitar players were good in the studio while some were better on the road – a cryptic reference many took to mean that Becker couldn’t cut it live.

At home, out of the band and facing up to life with a fatal and degenerative disease, Becker read Roth’s comments in a magazine. They hurt, he says.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »
I saw the first show of the reunion with Roth (and Wolfgang), in Charlotte, and it was amazing.  No, he didn't sing every word, yes, he did his "Dave!" schtick.   But honestly, in the moment, I didn't miss Michael Anthony even for a minute (and I get he's good; I saw him in a club with Chickenfoot and he was solid as a rock).

Respect to those that have a different opinion, but if you're in for two-hours of sweaty rock and roll, good ole fashioned arena show, you can do a LOT worse than Van Halen.  Mike Anthony is a big boy, he can make his own decisions; I don't feel bad for him at all.   Not that E/AVH have been perfect (I still don't understand what happened with the artwork fiasco) but it's THEIR BAND.  I don't begrudge Ed wanting to play with his son, even for a second (and his kid is GOOD). 

I don't know what that looks like in 2019 - I personally don't think we'll see Van Halen ever again, not sustained - but I think some of the criticisms aren't fair in that they don't account for the intent.

I don't think anyone begrudges EVH wanting to play with his son.  You (the general "you") could say there is no good way to fire someone from a band, but the way Eddie and Alex kicked Anthony out of the band, and all of the shit they have said and done since, was and is indefensible.  Anthony, to his credit, has always taken the high road and has always been nothing but grateful and positive about the time he spent in Van Halen.  I suspect the brothers hate for Anthony began when he stayed friends with Hagar following the latter's departure in 1996.  I am sure they took that as an act of treason and he's been on their shit list ever since.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
I suspect the brothers hate for Anthony began when he stayed friends with Hagar following the latter's departure in 1996.  I am sure they took that as an act of treason and he's been on their shit list ever since.

I'm not defending the VH brothers, BUT...I'm sure the fact that Sammy has frequently chirped about them and Michael didn't exactly help them to NOT view it as such.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »

I'm not defending the VH brothers, BUT...I'm sure the fact that Sammy has frequently chirped about them and Michael didn't exactly help them to NOT view it as such.  :lol

Perhaps.  Anthony strikes me as a guy who wants no part of the drama; he just wants to play his bass and have a good time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
Yea, Anthony seems to have been a bit of a victim of the VH brother's being shitty, but while that upsets me to have seen happen with him being kicked out of the band, it didn't and wouldn't stop me from seeing them live or buying a new album if they made another.  Bands do shitty things to each other all the time, Anthony at least has a band with Sammy and seems to be a happy guy overall while Eddie is constantly rumored to be dying. It seems like karma in a way.  It's not like Michael Anthony lost his job and is in the streets.  His prospects look better than the other.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2020, 03:44:42 PM »
I think part of it, too, is their outside ventures.  Anthony has made a killing selling his BBQ sauces, and Hagar has made a king's ransom selling his tequila, the latter of which the brothers lost money on when they invested and then bailed when it was losing money early only to see it skyrocket after they had sold their shares.  They probably Hagar hate for it, and they probably think of Anthony as some lackey who was lucky to be in their band and who then made a killing off an outside venture because he was connected to the Van Halen brand.

Note: I suspect 95% of the hate comes from Eddie, but Alex is being a loyal brother.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2020, 04:24:33 PM »

Did a bit of digging and found a detailed article on it.  Looks like I was incorrect re not lying about it :lol

Work on Roth’s A Little Ain’t Enough finished and a band meeting was called. Jason played every solo, every riff on the album, with rhythm guitar player and pal Steve Hunter helping out on the backing tracks. But it was obvious Jason couldn’t go on.

“Everyone was sad,” he says. “Dave was totally depressed. I tried to make him feel better by talking about football.” They were, he says, “the coolest bunch of guys.” Which made what followed especially hard to take.

When it was announced that Jason had left the band, Diamond Dave mysteriously decided to tell the press that some guitar players were good in the studio while some were better on the road – a cryptic reference many took to mean that Becker couldn’t cut it live.

At home, out of the band and facing up to life with a fatal and degenerative disease, Becker read Roth’s comments in a magazine. They hurt, he says.

That's tough that the comments were taken that way.  Clear to see why they were but Dave would have never meant any harm, was trying to protect him the best way he could it seems.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2020, 04:29:22 PM »
Apparently I was wrong. This was a pretty forgettable show all the way around anyway. I may have even been aware that Becker did not play the tour, though I would not have known why. I guess I just don't remember.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2020, 07:08:47 PM »
Well without the internet, I'm sure it was easy to not notice such a thing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2020, 07:10:36 PM »
Or...it could be my memory.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »
I think part of it, too, is their outside ventures.  Anthony has made a killing selling his BBQ sauces, and Hagar has made a king's ransom selling his tequila, the latter of which the brothers lost money on when they invested and then bailed when it was losing money early only to see it skyrocket after they had sold their shares.  They probably Hagar hate for it, and they probably think of Anthony as some lackey who was lucky to be in their band and who then made a killing off an outside venture because he was connected to the Van Halen brand.

Note: I suspect 95% of the hate comes from Eddie, but Alex is being a loyal brother.
It's also the case that Michael was a pretty well grounded guy. While I'm sure he drank his fair share of Jack Daniels, he was never the hopeless drunk that the brothers were. If I'm not mistaken he's still married to his highschool sweetheart, FFS. I suspect he took care of his royalties money pretty well long before he ventured off into BBQ sauce, and that's where the killing was done. Sammy was doing quite well on his own, too. I recall him saying that joining VH was a significant pay cut at the time. Obviously he did great afterward. I dug his solo stuff a helluva lot more than his VH material, so I reckon he had good name recognition before joining the cult, and also a solid reputation as a great, hard working performer (his early solo shows were legendary). 

Has anybody actually tried any of the Mad Anthony stuff? He's certainly proud of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »

It's also the case that Michael was a pretty well grounded guy. While I'm sure he drank his fair share of Jack Daniels, he was never the hopeless drunk that the brothers were. If I'm not mistaken he's still married to his highschool sweetheart, FFS. I suspect he took care of his royalties money pretty well long before he ventured off into BBQ sauce, and that's where the killing was done. Sammy was doing quite well on his own, too. I recall him saying that joining VH was a significant pay cut at the time. Obviously he did great afterward. I dug his solo stuff a helluva lot more than his VH material, so I reckon he had good name recognition before joining the cult, and also a solid reputation as a great, hard working performer (his early solo shows were legendary). 

I like Standing Hampton and Three Lock Box better than any Van Halen record with Hagar on it, and it's not really close.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:41:07 AM by Stadler »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2020, 11:58:34 PM »
Finally.

It’s weird because it wasn’t until I got on the internet in the 90s that I first discovered that Sammy was not a worldwide phenomenon.

Obviously, someone in Seattle loved Sammy Hagar, because I grew up hearing 3-4 Montrose tunes as well as the following on REGULAR REPEATED rotation:

Red
I’ve Done Everything For You
This Planet’s On Fire (Burn in Hell)
Plain Jane
I’ll Fall in Love Again
Heavy Metal
There's Only One Way To Rock
Baby’s on Fire
Can’t Get Loose
Three Lock Box
Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy
Remember the Heroes
I Don’t Need Love

Not to mention the stuff from VOA and beyond. When I found out that most of the country thought of Sammy as a nobody before he joined VH, my mind was completely blown.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2020, 05:24:27 AM »
I knew he wasn't a nobody. Our local rock station played all of his solo hits. The first I remember was I'll Fall In Love Again. That was the first time I remember hearing about Sammy Hagar. It also might've been Heavy Metal..

Montrose was NEVER played where I grew up though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2020, 07:42:43 AM »
I knew he wasn't a nobody. Our local rock station played all of his solo hits. The first I remember was I'll Fall In Love Again. That was the first time I remember hearing about Sammy Hagar. It also might've been Heavy Metal..

Montrose was NEVER played where I grew up though.

Sam has talked about this a lot.  He was, for some reason, a VERY "regional" artist.  There were places in the U.S. he could headline and fill an arena, and others (I think the NE was like this) where he was barely an opening act.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »
The only time I actually remember him touring here was opening for ZZ Top's Eliminator tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2020, 08:36:25 AM »
I had never heard of any of Sammy's solo music until after I got into VH.  Granted I discovered them in the late 90s early 2000s. 

I did get to see Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas with Lynyrd Skynyrd opening in 2003  :metal  I think it was a coheadline rotation, but I was happy with Sammy headlining my show, while everyone else was upset it seemed  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2020, 03:58:00 PM »
That's surprising. Standing Hampton and Three Lock Box both got a lot of airplay down here. I'm surprised TOOWtR wasn't universally known.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2020, 02:55:55 AM »
That's tough that the comments were taken that way.  Clear to see why they were but Dave would have never meant any harm, was trying to protect him the best way he could it seems.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty genius way to divert attention from him at a time where he would have needed privacy.

I suspect the brothers hate for Anthony began when he stayed friends with Hagar following the latter's departure in 1996.  I am sure they took that as an act of treason and he's been on their shit list ever since.

Haha, yeah, Sammy's put gasoline on the fire quite a few times, and that's just what I know from reading about the drama years later on the internet.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2020, 06:56:12 AM »
Look I like Sammy, and I think he's earned the right over the years, but there's no denying that Sam's a shit-stirrer. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2020, 09:28:04 AM »
Look I like Sammy, and I think he's earned the right over the years, but there's no denying that Sam's a shit-stirrer. 
Even his friends say that, so yeah.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2020, 11:26:03 AM »
In 2004, Eddie and Alex forced Michael Anthony to sign away his rights to the band in order to go on tour.  He begrudgingly did so, because he felt he owed it to the fans to be on stage with Van Halen.  That explains why he wasn't invited to the 2007 reunion with DLR - he was firmly in Camp Sammy at the time.  We saw Sammy tour that year and Michael Anthony opened the show with his own little band, playing old VH covers.     

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
In 2004, Eddie and Alex forced Michael Anthony to sign away his rights to the band in order to go on tour.  He begrudgingly did so, because he felt he owed it to the fans to be on stage with Van Halen.  That explains why he wasn't invited to the 2007 reunion with DLR - he was firmly in Camp Sammy at the time.  We saw Sammy tour that year and Michael Anthony opened the show with his own little band, playing old VH covers.   

They put a gun to his head?  Locked his wife in a refrigerator and said they wouldn't release him unless he complied?  ;)   

I think "forced" is a broad term. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »
I think "forced" is a broad term. 

Under the circumstances, I don't.