Author Topic: David Lee Roth has officially lost the plot  (Read 5602 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: David Lee Roth has officially lost the plot
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »
I am actually in awe of how bad he sounds here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcQ6GPFKV84&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZ9uCtSqlQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLo7EEzu78A&feature=youtu.be

I watched Unchained and YRGM.   :lol  Honestly, not as bad as I thought considering the comments, he's having such a good time up there lol.  I like how he puts random lyrics in random places cleary where they shouldn't be haha.  Althought it is pretty bad.  He's obviously got early onset Parkinsons or something, he doesn't seem right.  I like how he trying to put on a show at least.

Who's the guitarist?  He ripped on that YRGM solo.

He seems to be getting pretty decent reviews despite the (expected) crappy vocals.

The guitarist is Al Estrada who was in a VH tribute band called Eruption and has demoed EVH gear.

Yeah, he's solid.  I wouldn't give him good reviews or anything, but at least he's trying to put on a show.   :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
He sounds so bad it is actually worth to pay the ticket money just to laugh your ass off. Musical stand-up comedy. And that includes the costumes he wears.. God.. what the fuck..

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 03:39:23 PM »
He sounds so bad it is actually worth to pay the ticket money just to laugh your ass off. Musical stand-up comedy. And that includes the costumes he wears.. God.. what the fuck..

I'm sure he'd just appreciate your money.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
I know Dave doesn't sound the best now but I give him a pass strictly just based on how cool and awesome he was from 77-86.  He's still a cool performer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
I know Dave doesn't sound the best now but I give him a pass strictly just based on how cool and awesome he was from 77-86.  He's still a cool performer.

Jay, I think the Statute Of Limitations has long run out on Dave being cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2020, 03:50:54 PM »
Because no DLR thread is complete without it...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »
 :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2020, 03:53:35 PM »

I'd go see him for this. I'd probably have a blast honestly. You just know you cant expect a great vocalist but you'll find a great entertainer

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 04:00:19 PM »

I'd go see him for this. I'd probably have a blast honestly. You just know you cant expect a great vocalist but you'll find a great entertainer

Cram, I love you man, you know that, so I mean this as a compliment......but you'd have a blast having a root canal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
Only if I got the funny gas  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 04:21:23 PM »
Only if I got the funny gas  :lol

That could actually be fun.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
 :lol

Only got the gas once as a teen before removing my wisdom teeth, I'll never forget it. The nurse asked me what I wanted to do with my life and I burst out in laughter. That's when the dentist came in and ripped the teeth out.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 07:51:41 PM »
wow...  LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 10:06:22 PM »

I would definitely go if I was shit faced and tickets were free, which would be 95% the likeliest scenario given that it’s at the House of Blues in Vegas. No way in hell I’m paying $100 though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »
I just find it so amusing how he's having such a good time up there haha.  No fucks given.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »
I just find it so amusing how he's having such a good time up there haha.  No fucks given.

That’s my point exactly. Who gives a shit. He’s David Lee f&$@ing Roth and still cooler than all of us

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 12:23:26 AM »
Some of the actual reviews, though, are pretty good. The vibe in the room must be good.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2020, 06:29:00 AM »
Is he preparing to tour with Vince Neil?
and Paul Stanley. "The 3 Off Key Tenors"
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2020, 07:27:29 AM »
I wrote my thoughts on Facebook....

So I out of curiosity watched some footage of David Lee Roth’s first night of his Las Vegas residency and wow where do I start...
First off, who listened to his pitch and thought it was a good idea to let him do this? Bad doesn’t begin to describe it. It’s very uncomfortable to watch.
He try’s to perform a song and the only recognizable vocals are the backing vocals from his band. He just kind of stands there almost unrecognizably screaming off key to whatever song his band is playing. I’ll also point out he doesn’t know any of the words to the songs. He stood there during California Girls saying, “oh man I forgot the words”.
Then after the song ends he stands and rambles on for sometimes 15 minutes or more sipping a bourbon about ridiculous nonsense until he decides to start another nightmare number that must have the audience thinking, please keep telling more stories it’s less painful! The audience also has to be thinking, is there a mid performance refund policy? Is there a doctor in the house? My ears are bleeding!
I mean I’ll give him some credit for being in great physical shape but he literally can’t sing a single note that resembles anything but a cat starving in a cold alleyway.
I’m not even exaggerating about any of this.
And lastly I feel horrible for his talented band who has to stand there smiling pretending they are performing with an actual singer and not the worlds worst karaoke performer in some seedy bar. They have to be thinking what in hell did I get myself into? The things we do for money.
Sometimes you see a clip of something like Vince Neil or David Lee Roth butchering a song and think this has to be doctored to make the artist look bad. Let me tell you, this was real, and it couldn’t possibly be any worse.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2020, 10:32:55 AM »
Some of the actual reviews, though, are pretty good. The vibe in the room must be good.

Probably by people whose ears are in as bad a shape as DLR's voice. :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2020, 10:42:51 AM »
I can't think of anyone who would go expecting him to sing the songs.  Like, when was the last time he actually did that?

It's vegas, I'm sure people are just going for fun and likely are having it. 

However, I feel like if you see him opening for Kiss, it could be a turn off.  I'd imagine a lot of people will see him who otherwise wouldn't and may not know what kind of performance they are in for  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »
Well, that could go either way.  It depends on how smart and aware Dave is (and I've always thought him to be smarter and more aware than he lets on).  If he does Vegas cabaret, I don't know how that plays to a 15,000 seat arena/amphitheater.   If he does a Van Halen Lite, heavy on the party, it could be the perfect opener.   I'm considering it, seeing as it will likely be the last time I get to see my idols on stage (I liked Kiss before I even knew who Van Halen was, in fact, I probably gave Van Halen the benefit of the doubt BECAUSE of Kiss). 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
At the risk of sounding extremely snobbish, sorry in advance.. Let’s just say that as a ‘musician’ (take that however you like) myself I find it hard to accept that anyone who’s clearly not good (like these videos, but there’s obviously other examples out there) makes money off a craft that they do not master in the slightest. I mean, this performance is inexcusable. It’s beyond terrible and I can’t imagine that this guy has no clue that he’s putting on a shit show.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »
At the risk of sounding extremely snobbish, sorry in advance.. Let’s just say that as a ‘musician’ (take that however you like) myself I find it hard to accept that anyone who’s clearly not good (like these videos, but there’s obviously other examples out there) makes money off a craft that they do not master in the slightest. I mean, this performance is inexcusable. It’s beyond terrible and I can’t imagine that this guy has no clue that he’s putting on a shit show.

Doesn't it matter what he's selling?  He's not now and never was trying to be James LaBrie or [insert technically amazing vocalist].   You don't ride a 20-foot inflatable microphone across the stage in ass-less chaps if you're going for vocal technique credibility.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »
Dave's been doing this for 40 years now. He was doing the same "desperate woman, need a man with a gun, I forgot the fucking words!" thing since the song came out. "I'll come down there and fuck your girlfriend, buddy" has been around since at least the US festival. Dave has always been more showman than singer and he's just doing more of the same. If you wanted great vocals then you listened to the album because he was never going to bring it live. What he should be doing is more of a Dean and Sammy at the Sands sort of deal. Spend half the show getting drunk and telling funny stories. Sing a few songs. Have a guest or two come out when they're available. Simply treat it as a good time rather than a rock concert. Myself, I'd pay to see Dave do a show like that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2020, 01:42:04 PM »
I would too, and I'll bet I'd enjoy the hell out of it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »
Yea, that is a good idea.

Well, that could go either way.  It depends on how smart and aware Dave is (and I've always thought him to be smarter and more aware than he lets on).  If he does Vegas cabaret, I don't know how that plays to a 15,000 seat arena/amphitheater.   If he does a Van Halen Lite, heavy on the party, it could be the perfect opener.   I'm considering it, seeing as it will likely be the last time I get to see my idols on stage (I liked Kiss before I even knew who Van Halen was, in fact, I probably gave Van Halen the benefit of the doubt BECAUSE of Kiss). 

I kind of just assume it'll be the same thing since he goes on tour right after the vegas residency, but maybe he does change it up.  I think I'm going to try to go to that "final" Kiss show at MSG in 2021 and not bother with this leg.  The AC date is the closest and just not worth the money unless Kiss changes a good part of the show.  Having DLR is enticing though because it adds some entertainment value that wasn't there before.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »
What he should be doing is more of a Dean and Sammy at the Sands sort of deal. Spend half the show getting drunk and telling funny stories. Sing a few songs. Have a guest or two come out when they're available. Simply treat it as a good time rather than a rock concert. Myself, I'd pay to see Dave do a show like that.

Yeah, I think that'd be cool, for lack of a better word.

But as this is now, I'll keep my money thankyouverymuch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »

Doesn't it matter what he's selling?  He's not now and never was trying to be James LaBrie or [insert technically amazing vocalist].  You don't ride a 20-foot inflatable microphone across the stage in ass-less chaps if you're going for vocal technique credibility.

:lol :lol :lol Great point!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:24 PM »
As bad as Roth's "singing" is, if VH announced another tour with him they'd all make a bunch of money. It's amazing. I never liked his stage antics but now that he doesn't do much anymore, what's the appeal of seeing him live these days? Maybe it's one of those things where it's a lot better when you're actually there.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »
As bad as Roth's "singing" is, if VH announced another tour with him they'd all make a bunch of money. It's amazing. I never liked his stage antics but now that he doesn't do much anymore, what's the appeal of seeing him live these days? Maybe it's one of those things where it's a lot better when you're actually there.

One word: nostalgia. 

Look at how well bands like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and Journey still do touring, and they're all decades past their creative primes.

I would never see that show because I vowed over 10 years ago to never give EVH any money again, due to his shabby treatment of Michael Anthony*, and towards that end I had a friend send me his HQ mp3's of A Different Kind of Truth so I didn't have to actually buy it, but even if I was down to spend money on VH again, I wouldn't pay to see them with Roth singing the way he is right now.

*Note: if the Van Hagar lineup (Hagar, EVH, Anthony, AVH) toured again, I'd consider paying to see that, but the odds of that are the same as TAC putting Power Windows and Promised Land both on his all-time favorites list. ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
Van Halen with Sammy in 2004 was sooooo much better than Van Halen with DLR in 2015 from my own experience.  I did find myself entertained enough by just watching DLR but Sammy is entertaining himself plus he can sing.  I kind of wish we'd get more live songs with Sammy doing DLR era.  I always enjoyed the few songs he sang on the live album.  Unchained with Sammy was fantastic in 2004 if I recall.