Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 40429 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
Just sharing what I put on Facebook because it's hard to write anything else right now through the tears.

It's hard to come to grips with how devastating news like this can be when it's someone you've never met. It would be hard for me to quantify what Rush and Neil meant to me as a person since I truly began my journey through music with them in 2003.

Neil was one of two drummers I have always looked to to simply say THIS is what drums can mean to music. I have never played drums as more than a hobby, but Neil was always a source of inspiration and always a pleasure to listen to.

I know Neil only passed now, but he truly went out with grace in 2015 when he went out on a final tour and meant it. He knew he was at the end of his ability to play to a level of his satisfaction, fought through the pain, made a farewell to the fans happen and hung up the sticks.

On several occasions in the past I've done runs through Rush's discography, and tonight I start what may very well be my last one until that awful day when these awful feelings come up again with the passing of Alex or Geddy. Tonight, for this discography run only, I celebrate of Neil's life by beginning with Fly By Night, after "the new guy" joined the band. RIP Neil.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 02:49:04 PM »
Man, No wonder he decided it was time to retire.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
Awful news. I owe my username on this board to the man.

Mad respect to one of the greatest artists of our lifetime. RIP

Online faizoff

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
OMG RIP!!!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 02:50:18 PM »
Wow.  Really heartbroken and the looks of all of the usernames on reading this thread, everyone is obviously.   At least, he retired on his own terms and not end up being a washed-up and broke musician.

RIP Pratt.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »
Prog's most intellectual lyricist IMHO. Thanks for these, Neil.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »
Ugghh! Damn. One of my musical hero's. Right beside
Bonham in terms of influence. I can't even guess as
to the thousands of hours I've spent analyzing
and learning his parts.

RIP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
Some would say he wrote more worthy lyrics, but this is one of my personal favourites.

Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2020, 02:56:36 PM »
The story says he died 3 days ago??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2020, 02:58:14 PM »
so does Rush's Facebook feed: "It is with broken hearts and the deepest sadness that we must share the terrible news that on Tuesday our friend, soul brother and band mate of over 45 years, Neil, has lost his incredibly brave three and a half year battle with brain cancer (Glioblastoma). We ask that friends, fans, and media alike understandably respect the family’s need for privacy and peace at this extremely painful and difficult time. Those wishing to express their condolences can choose a cancer research group or charity of their choice and make a donation in Neil Peart's name.

Rest in peace brother.

Neil Peart September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
I'm stuck at work right now, having to keep myself composed, but I am breaking on the inside. Neil was my inspiration for drumming, and for living for many years of my high school and college life. I can hardly believe it...

Rest in peace, Professor. Truly one I will miss...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 02:58:23 PM »
Wow, he died on Tuesday and we're just hearing it now. Wouldn't expect less from him to keep things personal and private.

Reading all of the monsters of music share their love and thoughts about him on Twitter is tough. He was so loved.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »

Yup, January 7th.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »

How does that even happen in this day and age?  Leave it to Neil, though.

There's another guy at my office who feels the same way.  We're like, how are we supposed to get anything done the rest of the day?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
I'm sad and I'm not even a fan of the band. Such iconic, legendary and worldwide respected musicians, for all they gave, should all deserve a quiet and peaceful ending well into their 90s.

I look back on when we lost Dio and I can imagine how you all must feel. Another sad day in music history.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
RIP Neal. I have no words. I was lucky enough to see them live once and enjoy their music and their amazing good vibes. Devastating
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2020, 03:06:44 PM »

There's another guy at my office who feels the same way.  We're like, how are we supposed to get anything done the rest of the day?
I think it has to do with the fact that those who loved Rush see their work as "close companions" or whatever you choose to describe it. This is where the degree of shock will show itself, so you feel stunned and can't do anything.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »

I told a few people not to bother me the rest of the day, and I'm just cranking RUSH. Man. Just man...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
So sad he didn't get to enjoy life off the road for many, many years.  :( I hope he spent his last few years in peace, with great health care and relative content, as much as he could have had in the circumstances.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
Rush's website has crashed. In a way, it makes me feel good to know that the man is having this kind of impact on people.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline outoftune

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
It feels like part of my life has come to an end.....
Fan since 1974, saw them live for the first time 1979 on the Pinkpop festival in Holland. Never missed a Rush concert in Holland since then.

Sad, no words.

MH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »
Just sharing what I put on Facebook because it's hard to write anything else right now through the tears.

It's hard to come to grips with how devastating news like this can be when it's someone you've never met. It would be hard for me to quantify what Rush and Neil meant to me as a person since I truly began my journey through music with them in 2003.

Neil was one of two drummers I have always looked to to simply say THIS is what drums can mean to music. I have never played drums as more than a hobby, but Neil was always a source of inspiration and always a pleasure to listen to.

I know Neil only passed now, but he truly went out with grace in 2015 when he went out on a final tour and meant it. He knew he was at the end of his ability to play to a level of his satisfaction, fought through the pain, made a farewell to the fans happen and hung up the sticks.

On several occasions in the past I've done runs through Rush's discography, and tonight I start what may very well be my last one until that awful day when these awful feelings come up again with the passing of Alex or Geddy. Tonight, for this discography run only, I celebrate of Neil's life by beginning with Fly By Night, after "the new guy" joined the band. RIP Neil.

That's a nice write-up, Nick. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »
Sort of explains everything.  You have to admire both his integrity - he never wanted to live in the public eye, and withheld this most personal of information - and that of his friends and band members.  Just imagine what all those interviews over the past three years or so have been like for them, or the constant rumors (Mike just spoke of one a week or so ago).   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »
Devastating. Neil was the best in so many things.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
Sort of explains everything.  You have to admire both his integrity - he never wanted to live in the public eye, and withheld this most personal of information - and that of his friends and band members.  Just imagine what all those interviews over the past three years or so have been like for them, or the constant rumors (Mike just spoke of one a week or so ago).

I was thinking the same exact thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:37 PM »
Saw them every time through Seattle since Presto.  Beyond crushed.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
There are no words other than to say he was the best drummer I've ever seen live.  I had the good fortune to see Rush 16 times since 1988, and they always put on one hell of a show, particularly Neil, even when it was obvious that he no longer liked the rigors of touring.

If there can be a bright side, we can say that Rush was a band that produced a body of excellent work and were able to go out on their own terms, with one of their best tours in 2015, one that nicely summed up the career of the band far more than any formal "farewell" tour ever could. 

RIP Neil.  May you have killer drum duels with Buddy Rich, Keith Moon and John Bonham. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
So sad. Saw them during their final tour a few years ago. Awesome. Our local MPR station is playing 2112 now.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2020, 03:24:32 PM »
Just heard the word and I am extremely sad right now. Neil's music has meant so much to me for so long.

Online T-ski

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
I’m absolutely devastated. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »
I'm speechless. Don't know what else to say. Seriously devastated.
any rock can be made to roll

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2020, 03:35:29 PM »
Truly devastating news...

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »
To add some brevity to this sad day.

It reminds me of the ongoing argument I had through high school with another student who claimed Tommy Lee was a MUCH superior drummer to Neil.
In grade 13 he finally admitted his error.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline emtee

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
The Garden was his closer. I'll be reading the lyrics
and spinning the song tonight.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
The Garden was his closer. I'll be reading the lyrics
and spinning the song tonight.

:heart

Playing Clockwork now. A few more songs until it finishes...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com