Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41434 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »
Holy fuckin’ shit!  I just found out about this now?  Excuse me while I go crawl back to the fucking rock I was living under. 
Fuck me!!  So sad... :( :( :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »
I just stared at the title of this thread and was afraid to open it. I just couldn't wrap my head around it actually being true. Man, all this time, since the retirement, I've just assumed he was rocking life with his new family. His death hits hard, but to know he's been suffering since we last saw him feels like a huge punch in the gut. It's going to be difficult to keep my act together until the work day is over.

Rush has been a huge part of some of greatest times of my life, largely due to Neils talent and imagination. It feels like some of my youth has been ripped away.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
It feels like some of my youth has been ripped away.

Totally. Finishing up Hemispheres now, and I remember listening to this on 8 Track as an 11 y/o.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »
Man, I hope someone manages to pull Mike Portnoy away from all news sources for a while so he doesn't have to find out right now. That's his hero. Feel so sad for others whose lives were touched by NP as well, if we're crushed, can't imagine how someone who knew him must be feeling.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
Man, I hope someone manages to pull Mike Portnoy away from all news sources for a while so he doesn't have to find out right now. That's his hero. Feel so sad for others whose lives were touched by NP as well, if we're crushed, can't imagine how someone who knew him must be feeling.
he was one of MM's heroes as well (which we definitely can hear on ADTOE and DT12 the most, and on parts of Barstool as well), don't forget that please.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lupton

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »
God is dead. So sad.  :'( RIP NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »

He already knows and he posted a heartfelt comment on FB. He even knew of his illness so in a sense he was prepared for the worst.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »
Wow, that sinking feeling when you open DTF and see a thread title like this.  Wow, such an icon, such a legend, such an innovator, such a role model, such a unique individual, such a writer, such a human.

RIP Neil.  Only 67 and brain cancer.  What a cruel cruel life this is sometimes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
I don’t know what to say...but how can I say nothing. I bawled my eyes out at work and had to leave early.

Only my best friend and my father dying have ever hit me harder than this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2020, 03:59:53 PM »
RIP

Glad to have been able to see him live.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
RIP

Glad to have been able to see him live.

I only got to see them once, on the Snakes and Arrows tour, but I'm so glad I got to see that show.  Setlist was killer, and it was such a great vibe. 

NP: Freeze.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »
 :sad:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2020, 04:04:08 PM »
I'm beyond devastated. If I think way back to my musical beginnings, to 6 or 7 year old me and four older brothers pushing their musical tastes, it began with Yes, The Who, and Rush. Everything I've loved since then has been shaded through those windows. And it's not just his drumming, his lyrics helped a very confused teen make sense of a world that I really didn't feel I belonged in.

Got a lone tear rolling down my cheek for ya Professor   :heart

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
He already knows and he posted a heartfelt comment on FB. He even knew of his illness so in a sense he was prepared for the worst.
Ow, that just breaks my heart.

he was one of MM's heroes as well (which we definitely can hear on ADTOE and DT12 the most, and on parts of Barstool as well), don't forget that please.
Sorry, didn't mean to forget MM, it's just that MP and NP always had a very special relationship and MP talked about it a lot, so he was the first that came to mind.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »
Ow, that just breaks my heart.

Sorry, didn't mean to forget MM, it's just that MP and NP always had a very special relationship and MP talked about it a lot, so he was the first that came to mind.
of course, it's only natural (science? I guess not. Instinct rather, pardon the pun) and yes it is disheartening.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »
It feels like some of my youth has been ripped away.

Totally. Finishing up Hemispheres now, and I remember listening to this on 8 Track as an 11 y/o.

My cousin owned the 8 track of Hemispheres.   I listened to is all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »
I started out buying 8 tracks, and had them all up through Exit Stage Left. Signals was the first Rush cassette I bought.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »
I remember being a teenage and being told by several people to listen to Rush. Then, when visiting Florida, I was in a market and found a used CD of Hemispheres. I remember putting it on later that night for the first time and being blown away.

Needless to say, my musical world would never be the same again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2020, 04:23:47 PM »
I remember being a teenage and being told by several people to listen to Rush. Then, when visiting Florida, I was in a market and found a used CD of Hemispheres. I remember putting it on later that night for the first time and being blown away.

Needless to say, my musical world would never be the same again.
ah yes that first chord of Hemispheres. Lovely. JP mentioned it lots of times as well (and the impact that the album and the piece had on him)

Offline robbob

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »
Terrible news, i'm shocked, So sad. RIP Professor!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »
This year already began badly.. Total shock.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Saw this on Instagram and couldn't believe it, had to check both Wikipedia and DTF inmediately to confirm if it was true. What a sad day for the prog/drumming/music communities in general. Even if you weren't a big fan of him or Rush, nobody can't deny the huge impact Neil had in countless musicians for decades.

As a sort of tribute, I've been cranking DT's version of Xanadu on repeat since finding out about his passing :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »
Saw this on Instagram and couldn't believe it, had to check both Wikipedia and DTF inmediately to confirm if it was true. What a sad day for the prog/drumming/music communities in general. Even if you weren't a big fan of him or Rush, nobody can't deny the huge impact Neil had in countless musicians for decades.

As a sort of tribute, I've been cranking DT's version of Xanadu on repeat since finding out about his passing :'(
which is the greatest tribute they ever were paid IMHO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
The ONLY other celebrity death that hit me like this was Chris Squire.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »

which is the greatest tribute they ever were paid IMHO.

The band are most likely together in this very moment, as the tour resumes tomorrow in the Netherlands. I expect them to mention this at the show and TSCO will surely hit harden than ever for most...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2020, 05:02:35 PM »
They might even add in a Rush piece during the encore as a tribute (we know about their influence on DT in more ways than one), who knows?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
MP's post about Neil was really nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »
What did he say? Is the some sort of link?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »
Here's a link from his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7J6UBBjLbe/?utm_source=ig_embed

It absolutely breaks my heart to pieces to get the news of the passing of one of my greatest heroes of all time. Neil Peart will always be a mentor and a hero to me and his influence on me as a drummer for the past 40 years is absolutely impossible to measure.

But beyond that, over the past 15 years or so, he’s become a friend...always such a gentleman and a gracious host. Always inviting me to come to soundcheck and spend some time before the show whenever Rush was passing through. Always sending complimentary copies of his new books, or Holiday emails with pictures of he and his young daughter Olivia.

I have so many memories through the years, but probably the most Special was the last time I saw him. I took my son Max to see Rush on their farewell tour as I wanted him to see the band before they retired...Neil ever the incredible gracious host invited us to soundcheck, let Max play his drums, gave him a pair of sticks and an autographed snare drum head and opened up his dressing room to us for the evening. The point is, if you were his guest you were family.

I could go on and on and on but I need to process this.

Sadly, I’ve known about Neil’s declining health for a few years now and always feared this news...but I am still shaken to the core in shock.

My deepest condolences go out to Geddy and Alex, to Carrie and Olivia, to Michael and Lorne and Chris S, to Ray and Pegi, and to all of his faithful fans all around the world of which I will always be one of the biggest.

Rest In Peace Bubba
You will always be my hero
RIP Neil Peart

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Classy post by Mike.  And shows what a humble, gentle, wonderful man Neil was.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
Max is one lucky f'ing kid... how many people can say they played The Professor's drums?!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the link Ang!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2020, 05:41:58 PM »
Shockingly sad news. As others have already said, he was a private mang. It's no wonder us fans didn't know what was going on with him. I can't imagine how his wife and kid must be feeling.

Looks like I'll be listening to a lot of Rush over the next week.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2020, 05:58:41 PM »
 :'(

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2020, 06:32:07 PM »
I'm currently watching Anatomy Of A Drum Solo, which I haven't seen in probably a decade or more. It feels surreal that he's gone. I love "Der Trommler" so much, probably one of my favorite drum solos of all time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!