Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41402 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2020, 07:54:45 PM »
I got Exit Stage Left for Christmas with AC/DC FTATR.  The times we lived in...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2020, 07:55:36 PM »
HAHA, that sounds like one of my Christmases.   I remember one getting Blizzard of Ozz and AC/DC High Voltage.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
Us music nerds remember stuff like this.

I can't remember when my wife asks me to take out the garbage though. lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
Christmas 1982 brought me:

Iron Maiden-Maiden Japan
Deep Purple-Burn
Riot-Restless Breed
Rainbow-Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Motorhead-No Sleep Till Hammersmith
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2020, 06:24:18 AM »
I saw this online, a pic of Neil from a year ago or so:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2020, 06:25:07 AM »
He looks so slim.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2020, 06:27:36 AM »
Right, that is the first thing I noticed.  On the last few Rush tours, he was a little (for lack of a better term) beefier than he had been for most of Rush's career, so to see that kind of weight loss is telling.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2020, 06:38:22 AM »
Gump.  Long time drum tech.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2020, 06:59:09 AM »
Heard the news yesterday morning and felt pretty sad. Then I somehow made my way to Wikipedia and saw that "Rush was a Canadian band" and "Neil Peart was a Canadian drummer." That hit me in a pretty deep way. All that said, my thoughts go out to the Peart family, who I'm sure are really hurting right now, but I hope that the outpouring of support for Neil helps just a bit. Dude was an absolute legend.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2020, 07:07:50 AM »
Have Alex and Geddy made any official statements regarding Neil's passing? I haven't seen anything, and I'd bet that we won't hear a peep from those two for months. :(

I don't think any other musicians passing has hit me as hard as Neil's.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2020, 07:11:26 AM »
An official Rush statement was released. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2020, 07:13:01 AM »
Have Alex and Geddy made any official statements regarding Neil's passing? I haven't seen anything, and I'd bet that we won't hear a peep from those two for months. :(

I don't think any other musicians passing has hit me as hard as Neil's.

The last post on Geddy's instagram page is a 'Rest in Peace, my brother :heart:' with a picture of Neil, Rush's official statement and a pic of all three of them. The last photo seems to be taken not too long ago.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »
Plus, Alex and Geddy aren't really in the public eye anymore, so I'd be surprised to see either come out with anything else.  It's not really their style.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
An official Rush statement was released.

Yeah, I read that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
The last post on Geddy's instagram page is a 'Rest in Peace, my brother :heart:' with a picture of Neil, Rush's official statement and a pic of all three of them. The last photo seems to be taken not too long ago.

I didn't see that photo. Where is that?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »
That picture is from the doc from the making of S&A.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »
Seems The Making Of S&A is not on youtube..

Offline emtee

« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »
Like many others, my intent over the last couple days was to post a tribute fitting
to the impact Neil had upon my life. However, after some contemplation and tears,
I decided Neil may have preferred something different. He was a creator. This is
my gift to him.

For Neil

Alone at an unfinished desk
Fifteen and adrift
Here they come again
Steps nearing the door
A fleeting thought
Becomes no more

Why must you waste so much time
Contemplating pointlessness
There are no answers
For the questions you seek
Nor any future
In rock and roll music

Slamming the carpet padded door
A tack drops to the floor
No more posters on the wall Son
You must become a man
Spending the rest of your life
With a passionless plan

The final note of Animals has ceased
With the stepping away
Thoughts are alive again
A Farewell To Kings
Needle upon vinyl
Too young for reminiscing

Pencil slides across paper
Dreams provide some relief
Neil speaks through the music
Goodbye yet too far away
What he just did
I must replay

All that was needed
All that was wanted
A pat on the back
That walked away
On and on
The music played
On and on
The music played

The man I never met
Seems like a next door neighbor
Keeping time or with prose
Shining a light
Probably unintended
Only living his life

Not a God nor a role model
No design for impacting life
In the right place at the right time
Associations align
The song is over
What now to do with my time

Tack up the poster and carry on
Open the curtains and let in the light
Crawl back to the desk
Upon the vinyl
Ease down the needle
Soon it becomes final

All that was needed
All that was wanted
A pat on the back
that walked away
On and on
The music played
On and on
The music plays

Rest in peace Neil. Your impact is unmeasurable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »
Geez, man. That was real nice.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »
Neil's death is really shocking to me.
RIP to this legendary musician.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2020, 11:20:32 AM »
Like many others, my intent over the last couple days was to post a tribute fitting
to the impact Neil had upon my life. However, after some contemplation and tears,
I decided Neil may have preferred something different. He was a creator. This is
my gift to him.

For Neil

Alone at an unfinished desk
Fifteen and adrift
Here they come again
Steps nearing the door
A fleeting thought
Becomes no more

Why must you waste so much time
Contemplating pointlessness
There are no answers
For the questions you seek
Nor any future
In rock and roll music

Slamming the carpet padded door
A tack drops to the floor
No more posters on the wall Son
You must become a man
Spending the rest of your life
With a passionless plan

The final note of Animals has ceased
With the stepping away
Thoughts are alive again
A Farewell To Kings
Needle upon vinyl
Too young for reminiscing

Pencil slides across paper
Dreams provide some relief
Neil speaks through the music
Goodbye yet too far away
What he just did
I must replay

All that was needed
All that was wanted
A pat on the back
That walked away
On and on
The music played
On and on
The music played

The man I never met
Seems like a next door neighbor
Keeping time or with prose
Shining a light
Probably unintended
Only living his life

Not a God nor a role model
No design for impacting life
In the right place at the right time
Associations align
The song is over
What now to do with my time

Tack up the poster and carry on
Open the curtains and let in the light
Crawl back to the desk
Upon the vinyl
Ease down the needle
Soon it becomes final

All that was needed
All that was wanted
A pat on the back
that walked away
On and on
The music played
On and on
The music plays

Rest in peace Neil. Your impact is unmeasurable.

[INSERT CITIZEN KANE APPLAUSE GIF]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
My 1st Rush album I bought when it came out. I was jealous seeing kids eith concert tees at school.

This was one of the bummers of going to Catholic school.  We weren't allowed to wear concert shirts.  I have a feeling I'd have made more friends if I could have seen who was into the same music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »
The picture at the bottom of this article ( https://metalheadzone.com/late-rush-legend-neil-pearts-last-picture-before-his-death-exposed/ ) is the last picture I recall seeing (and, I think, the last news about him).  The title and premise of the article are (I believe) wrong.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »
My 1st Rush album I bought when it came out. I was jealous seeing kids eith concert tees at school.

This was one of the bummers of going to Catholic school.  We weren't allowed to wear concert shirts.  I have a feeling I'd have made more friends if I could have seen who was into the same music.

I went to a Catholic school too. I sat behind a kid in school that I could see a Born Again shirt through his white dress shirt. We became best friends. In fact I referenced him in another thread as nagging me to see the Power Windows tour. I literally texted him this morning because he had pics of that show. Unfortunately he didn't take the care with his pics that I did with mine.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
I am crumbled. I can't find any words,  through speech, or paper, or text; to describe how I'm feeling.

I first learned on Thursday. And couldn't sleep. I sat and cried all night.

I knew there would be a crescendo, a tidal wave, of pain when it would be announced.  The shock wave on social media has been enormous; nearly audible. And that flooded over me and took my breath away. And I cried all day Friday, and Saturday too.

My wife finally made me get out of bed today. As I write this, I'm not sure what to say or even where this post will go.

So, I'll share this story. I learned he was sick about 18 months ago, but I didn't know how. Ged mentioned once he felt an urge to write more while he could. I thought that odd. At the time I reached out to say I hoped he was well.

Back when Clockwork Angels (Novel) came out he'd had an artist commission something for Al, Ged, and Kevin. In 2016 I was admiring it, and told Kevin how cool it was.

So when I sent my note a year and a half ago, he replied to my note of well wishes, with a note of his own; saying how he was doing fine, focused on just being a dad, and reminisced about the last time we were together. But he also sent me one of the pieces he'd had commissioned. He noted that Kevin told him I liked it.

I won't tell you what it is because that's private and I'd like to keep it that way. But that gesture, so Neil like, touched me in a way I can't describe. I will cherish it for the rest of my life. He was keenly intelligent, fiercely interested in life and in the people he knew, kind, thoughtful, loyal, and fully aware.

I am a very blessed human being.  For a number of spectacular reasons. I have my health (mostly, for now), the love of my family and some incredibly amazing friends, I have been successful in my career more than I ever imagined. As I grow older I become more aware of an overpowering need to express my gratitude for all that luck, life, the universe, God,  has afforded me. And I got the chance to meet and know my idols. It's hard sometimes to be around Geddy, even now, and not geek out. Because I have to always seperate being a fan of his and the bands, talents and music. The first time I heard Rush I was 12 years old. Instantly that music gently enveloped my soul and locked down on it, and never let go. Music does that to us. Science has shown us that we develop the ability to hear in the womb before we can see. Music permeates our body. It actually physically touches us with its sound waves. Whatever magic was in the music Rush produced touched me in a way that it gave me so many things to help shape my life.

My life, like everyone else has endured peaks and valleys. Some of those valleys have been so deep and full of despair I didn't think I could ever climb out. I have always felt that no matter how hard things were, that it was life simply preparing me to be able to handle times that were even going to be harder in the future. The music of Rush, and the words. My God, those words from Neil, touched my soul, and gave me hope, and inspiration. 

I'm rambling right now. So I'll stop.

I only learned about 2 months ago how sick he really was. I wish I had told him once again how much his gift of music meant to me. When I had before he was always so appreciative but really humble and I tried not to make things awkward for him or myself. But he knew. In his note he mentioned how he enjoyed our times together,  and hoped that I'd actually put his gift to use, and not let it sit around and collect dust. I always thought we weren't that close. We weren't in each others lives that way. But his note made me feel that we were. And, once again, I felt energized,  inspired,  and that word again. Grateful.

I am crumbled. 

But Oh, so, so grateful to have met and known him and to have been alive to hear and be touched by his music.

Please keep his family in your prayers;  and never let the light of the lessons of their music or the words he penned and shared with us ever dim, or fade away.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:42:03 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2020, 12:58:34 PM »
Amen, Brother!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
So many wonderful tributes and stories on this page. Well done, people.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
I’m still shocked in disbelief and I’ve been listening to Rush nonstop since Friday afternoon. The world has lost a truly gifted and beautiful man. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well as Ged, Alex and the whole Rush family.

I’m thankful that I got to see them 3 times, all in Chicago. Once on Time Machine, once on CA and once on R40. The CA show even had an appearance from the Stanley Cup which Neal kissed and drummed on with his sticks.

RIP Professor, there will NEVER be another soul/talent like yours ❤️

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2020, 02:50:27 PM »
Thank you TempusVox.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
Tempus, was waiting for your post, knew you would write something when you felt the time was right. Thank you for sharing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
Wow, Tempus knew Neil, amazing.  Thoughts and love to you mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:09:42 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »
Thank you TempusVox.
Yes. Thank you.

Day 3: Still very sad.

Have to admit that was one post I was waiting for.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2020, 08:42:22 PM »
Thank you TempusVox.
Yes. Thank you.

Day 3: Still very sad.

Have to admit that was one post I was waiting for.

Pretty much all of this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2020, 09:10:39 PM »
Thanks TV....I was waiting for your post. 

I'm still just....gutted.   I still cry whenever I think about it.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude