Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41372 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
This still chokes me up. RRHOF induction

https://youtu.be/5MXI03-qRU0
https://youtu.be/VTz2TDr79eI

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2020, 12:18:28 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »
first tribute I've come across, Styx........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AexxaIAppn8
Awesome!  With this arrangement, it's hard not to get emotional listening to this.  Rush was a major part of my growing up and my friends.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

Great vids.

That Dan Rather interview is fantastic BTW.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »

I've never been able to watch those without a few tears.  Happy ones, to be sure.  I can only imagine what it was like to be there in the room.  Just watching it on the screen is pretty spectacular.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
wtf Brain Cancer :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

I was just listening to a RIP podcast about musicians who died in 2019 and was reminded that like Neil, Marie Frederikson of Roxette also died from that condition.

:sad: :sad: :angry: :angry:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »
JP on Facebook:

Spent yesterday mourning the loss of one of the greatest drummers of all time...I know this is a little late but I finally mustered up the strength to write this. Truly heartbroken 💔 There has been no greater influence on me as a musician than Rush and no greater inspiration as a lyricist than Neil Peart. What a tremendous loss. My heart goes out to his family. May he Rest In Peace.

https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/photos/a.133462500039104/3027770540608271/?type=3&theater
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2020, 01:13:53 PM »
from Mike's FB page:

"A Farewell to King. Praying for N.P."

https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/2691845734197501?__xts__[0]=68.ARB_d34ANzImkz7jUOzWiieFgTqh-MDWhC39JtEajkhTWTTaUO7Gt-eSiyOiuaAZ--LaGpzEI_fDgw1ZbavNaNs-X5-PLueL2h1etQC14rjua1KEBBsoAdBupCCjlwkcjg6IDM7ShUH2LejzFfHbhA0Aw60Sd1BARfexnAHdM6uiBw1ySHH9rP8-yOkL0KfBkfebFPZ4zC5BNHHG-25bCnOHrg0yIhSk1QUNJOu1ioHsRNi6sNX8Cm_XUsvapkyTNIfjZCzM3ly1jXzQT52u6kN-87sNX0tn5_QWNIbbbJB4T6XXkuGlW_UG2iE6WvSKvKTcGn3ggCpoQzq4ucZsow&__tn__=-R

"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
I only saw them twice, September of 1977 for Farewell to Kings tour and March of 1979 for the Hemispheres tour. Both were seminal moments in my life but especially the FTK show. It was in a little place called the Terrace Ballroom. The capacity in that place was maybe 3000, I'm not really sure, but to see them so up close and personal while they were still young and so much larger than life. Man, it's almost painful to think of right now.

I counted myself fortunate then and especially now.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2020, 01:19:57 PM »
I only saw them twice, September of 1977 for Farewell to Kings tour and March of 1979 for the Hemispheres tour. Both were seminal moments in my life but especially the FTK show. It was in a little place called the Terrace Ballroom. The capacity in that place was maybe 3000, I'm not really sure, but to see them so up close and personal while they were still young and so much larger than life. Man, it's almost painful to think of right now.

Those must have been great. Hemisheres is probably my favorite Rush tour.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »

Those must have been great. Hemisheres is probably my favorite Rush tour.

Tim, the Hemispheres tour was at the old Salt Palace Arena (where the Jazz played basketball). I was in a nosebleed seat and really couldn't see much (or remember much) because a tiny purple pill I'd eaten a few hours before the show.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »
Oh man. That's too bad.

I have a great boot from the Boston show. It's one of my favorite shows.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
Looking through the tour log on the Rush site...

Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Roll The Bones
Counterparts
Test For Echo

Some of those were a few times, some were when I was doing security for Bill Graham Presents (one of those I was in front of the mixer booth, 20 rows back, elevated a few feet above the crowd facing the stage. My job was to tell people not to lean on the barrier in front of the mixer booth). After that my life got a little squirrely and I didn't see too many live shows until I got sober in 2011. No matter, I consider myself beyond blessed.

Online Mladen

« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2020, 02:30:23 PM »
I've only seen Rush once, but I consider myself just as lucky as people that have seen the band live several times. Living in Eastern Europe, Rush was never a big deal around here, and the band never toured anywhere near me as far as I know.

However, I became an enormous fan around 2010, and once Clockwork angels dropped and it became clear it might be their last album, I had to figure out how to see them on that tour. Finally, I managed to get on a plane with my dad and fly to Berlin. It turned out to be one of their last concerts ever in Europe. I actually had a feeling that might be it for them. Once they retired, I knew I made the right choice by not waiting to see if they might come closer on the next tour.

Needless to say, that was the best concert I've ever attended. And I've seen Iron Maiden, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Black Sabbath, King Crimson and other legends. The entire band performed brilliantly. Neil was, of course, amazing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »
Every tourbook from 1984.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »
Not to rain on the tributes, but why would anyone superimpose his image in to that RotJ screenshot? Do him and Anakin have anything remotely in common? Why isn't he Obi-Wan?

Neil has given me far more enjoyment than I could ever hope for, and will continue to do so as much as if he were still with us. I'd much rather be grateful than sad. That's how I'm approaching this.

A noble and reasonable approach to life in general.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2020, 03:14:06 PM »
I think they are trying to say he's on the level of Yoda and Obi Wan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »
Because a master (Jedi/Drummer) has passed on guiding other (Jedi/Drummers)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
Valid point. I was wondering why he was being equating with a whiny kid who choose the dark path and brought death and destruction to a galaxy. Carry on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
Some nice words from Terry Brown (who produced their first nine records):

Terry Brown MixMusic
· 23 hrs ·

It is with a heavy heart that I have to acknowledge the passing of Neil on this 10th day of January 2020. I have so many fond memories of good times spent listening to him compose some of the greatest percussive moments on record and working with his lyrics which he took so much care to write for us all to cherish.
It seems unfathomable that a man could use so much of his brain to enrich our lives and then leave us so abruptly.
Thank you Neil for all you gave us, I have added a shot of you and me at my 60th birthday - a wonderful memory, thanks for being there and being such a huge part of my life.
My heartfelt thoughts go out to all the RUSH families, friends and fans on this sad occasion

Broon

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
I’m trying to get some relief from sadness by watching football, and they play Limelight at the commercial break.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
I’m trying to get some relief from sadness by watching football, and they play Limelight at the commercial break.

I caught that, too.  I was hoping to hear The Fountain of Lamneth instead...:P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »

It shows how much impact his music had on the world though. I think that’s kind of awesome.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
https://www.tsn.ca/video/remembering-neil-peart~1865542

Love the drumset!

I love his Original Six cap!

Every tourbook from 1984.

Very nice!  I have about half of those.  For some reason, I stopped buying tour books in the 90s.  I also have AFTK, MP and Signals, all of which I bought after the fact (actually, I think AFTK was a freebie that came with some stuff I bought from the Rush Backstage Club).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2020, 05:18:23 PM »
I own 2 Presto tour books.  One drenched in beer from an asshole behind me and one from him after I took $200 from his wallet after he hit the ground. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
That's not his cat, is it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
You leave my Harry out of this. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
You leave my Harry out of this. :lol

So...leave that thing alone?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
How dare you.

Shut up, shuttin' up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
Valid point. I was wondering why he was being equating with a whiny kid who choose the dark path and brought death and destruction to a galaxy. Carry on.

JINGLE!!!  Where's that meme of Capt. Picard??

(Kidding, Chris.  I posted it, though I didn't create it; I just thought it was cool, sort of Neil as the Jedi Master of Drumming.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
Listening to Signals now, and Goddamn, Neil's drumming on Digital Man is ridiculous. :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
Listening to Signals now, and Goddamn, Neil's drumming on Digital Man is ridiculous. :hefdaddy

I have always liked Signals a lot, but it has really been elevated in the last few years for me. I love the textural feel of it throughout, and the sound of the remaster is incredible.  Even the songs on that album that aren't great sound great within the flow of the record. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2020, 07:51:49 PM »
My 1st Rush album I bought when it came out. I was jealous seeing kids eith concert tees at school.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2020, 07:53:12 PM »
My 1st Rush album I bought when it came out. I was jealous seeing kids eith concert tees at school.

Mine as well Joe. Actually that would've been Exit Stage Left. Seems right since we're the same age except I'm younger. :lol

I remember being so WTF with Signals. I was really bummed.