Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 40488 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2020, 06:36:24 PM »
Actually saw a post on Twitter that made me chuckle, which is tough regarding this:

I can’t help thinking he’s chuckling somewhere knowing hundreds of bands with gigs tonight are trying to figure out “an easy Rush song.”

Ain't that the truth.

Had to run out for a bit and curated an on-the-fly playlist to encapsulate the moment:

Afterimage -> Ghost Rider -> Nobody's Hero. Then decided to go to his final studio work with Headlong Flight -> Clockwork Angels -> The Garden

The man was a machine and never lost a step while he was playing. Man, this sucks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
Neil's status as a legendary drummer is more than obvious, and well deserved, but for me the thing that really made me a huge fan of not only him, but of Rush themselves, were his lyrics.  I have long said he is one of my two favorite lyricists (he and Roger Waters are 1a and 1b), and that remains true to this day.  Territories, Subdivisions, Limelight, Mission, Marathon, Losing It, The Pass, 2112, Everyday Glory, Time Stand Still, etc. So many great songs with great lyrics.   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:59 PM »
So sad for the loss of a LEGEND and incredible inspiration.... RIP :'(

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2020, 06:48:58 PM »
So fortunate that my wife and I got to see the final tour in Atlanta.  Rush is the band that seeing them live is so much better than the studio albums.  RIP Neil
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »
Beyond upsetting news.  He had a talent few others could hold a candle to.  One of the greats.

Thanks for the music, Mr. Peart.  :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2020, 07:09:35 PM »
Healing a little bit tonight.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2020, 07:15:30 PM »
Cool Joe. Who and where?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »
Lotus Land in Derry, N.H. at Tupelo Music Hall.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend..."  Yet somehow, even though I never met Neil, I feel as though I've lost a friend.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2020, 07:32:45 PM »
Well loved by many. Beyond respected by millions. The measure of his life is well past massive.

Neil’s lyrics and Rush’s music is what unlocked the door of exploring my own musical tastes. So thankful for his amazing body of work. Saddened of course at his passing, but heartbroken to think of what he and his family/friends have endured for the past three years. May he rest peacefully.

Goodbye, Professor. Thanks for all the music and the impact you had on my and many, many other lives.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
Dreamliner came up as I pressed Shuffle on the Rush catalog

When we are young
Wandering the face of the earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

:'(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:24 PM »
dang, this one stings.  Same cancer my mom had, too.

I can't imagine a 3.5 year battle with that type of brain cancer after seeing what it did to my mom and she was around less than a year after finding out.

Neil's drumming was the first thing that perked my ears up when listening to Rush for the first time.  The precision on those complicated parts was extraordinary and drew me into a musical world I knew next to nothing about.  Because of him I dug deeper into jazz, discovered progressive music, found roughly 8 of my top 10 bands of all time, and eventually found DTF as well.  I can't imagine what my musical life would be like now if not for Neil Peart.

FUCK
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
My video of Losing It from Rush's final concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCnME9N-Ilw
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TL

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »
The news of Neil's passing has hit me hard. I keep hoping that I'll wake up tomorrow and find out that it was just a terrible nightmare.
He was such an inspiration to me as a drummer, a writer, and a human being. The music of Rush has been a big part of the soundtrack of my life for as long as I can remember. I read Traveling Music every summer.

He always showed incredible resilience in the face of the great losses he faced in his own life. I guess it just goes to show that even now, Neil is giving me inspiration.

We'll miss you, Professor.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »
I havent posted in.....well forever.  I thought of everyone here. God bless Neil.  You are such a loss, among many losses in the few years.  But this hits me in the gut. RIP legend.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »
This is probably the most heart broken I've ever been over a musician's death. Neil was my biggest musical influence. He is the reason I wanted to play drums....he is the drummer I aspired to be like. I literally learned drums by playing along to Rush songs. Lyrically he was a huge inspiration too. One of my absolute favorite lyricists. I also hadn't given up hope on the band reconvening in the studio at some point and recording a new album or maybe just a few songs, but now it won't happen. I am just completely gutted.

"Suddenly you were gone
From all the Lives you left your mark upon"

He really did leave a mark on so many lives, mine included. Gone but never forgotten. All I can say is cancer sucks. I lost my grandfather a few years ago to bone cancer. My aunt is battling breast cancer. It takes too many good people from us.

I'm just glad I got to see Rush in concert numerous times. I even met Neil once, at a gas station of all places. I was getting gas and he pulled up to the pump next to me with another guy. We chatted about motorcycles for a few minutes while filling up (I've been in to motorcycles my whole life). He was extremely friendly and I didn't want to freak him out by fan-boying over him. I just casually mentioned during our conversation that I had seen him in concert a number of times and told him how great a show Rush puts on, he was very gracious and thanked me and then we went our separate ways. Didn't ask to take a picture with him or anything (I didn't want to be that guy), but then again this was before smart phones were really a thing (I believe it was around 2003-ish).

I usually will do an annual Rush Discography playthrough near the beginning of each year, I have even more of a reason to do so now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »
This is really helping me tonight.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
Gutted, I feel as though I've lost a family member.
I'm too upset to saying anything else, other than I hope he's in a better place now and no more suffering.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
Absolutely devastating news. Had a great day today only to have it come crashing down by seeing this.   :'(   Not only an amazing musician and lyricist, but one of the most grounded, humble and respectable human beings that could ever be labeled as a "rock star". For that reason, his loss is even greater to me than many other musicians we've already lost (nevermind the fact that he was one of my favorite drummers in one of my favorite bands). This one is gonna take some time to get over. I really feel for his family, Geddy, Alex, MP and all those who knew him personally, but at the very least he's no longer suffering after fighting cancer for those 3.5 years.

My video of Losing It from Rush's final concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCnME9N-Ilw
Thanks for sharing that. I was fortunate enough to be at that very same show and it will forever live with me as one of my most memorable concerts - especially getting to see one of the rare magical performances of that song that I love so dearly, and at their final show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »
This is really helping me tonight.

Man that's really cool getting to see this tribute on this sad day.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline 425

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:18 PM »
This is just awful news. There's no other band that has ever been more the souls of three people operating in unison, and even though they have been retired for a few years now, it's jarring that there's no longer that trio of Neil, Alex and Geddy. One of the all-time great bands, one of the all-time great lyricists, and probably THE all-time great drummer. Just horrible.

Mike has a longer tribute up on Billboard now. I didn't know they were this close. Some real personal touches here.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »
Actually saw a post on Twitter that made me chuckle, which is tough regarding this:

I can’t help thinking he’s chuckling somewhere knowing hundreds of bands with gigs tonight are trying to figure out “an easy Rush song.”

Ain't that the truth.

I needed that laugh.

September of '79 my roommate and I are playing tennis doubles with a couple of gals on a court about a hundred yards from Rose Arena at Central Michigan.  And then music starts booming LOUDLY.  We're like 'WTF' and walk over.  We enter, walk the corridor to the doors leading into the basketball court/arena, and get to stand with about fifty other fans and students during part of the Rush soundcheck before being kindly asked to leave.  I was a fan before, even moreso after that concert. 

A few months later, King Biscuit Flour Hour broadcast this concert from St. Louis.  My first taped bootleg.  Listen to the whole thing, or at approximately 59:00 to 1:04:15 for 'Doctor Fredo'.  In my dreams, I could have been half this talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Sv0j5F0Qs
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:49:36 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
Neil on Strombo...Moving Pictures track by track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyeMA78EEk
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:26 PM »
I contacted a friend of mine and he was crying...mind you he’s 52 but a HUGE Rush fan.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2020, 10:04:47 PM »
I am a moderate Rush fan, love some of their material, dislike an equal amount. And do not get emotional over the passing of celebrities. But some of the posts I have read here I found very moving.

Of all the comments, those about him wanting to spend more time with his family resonated with me the most. If it is 5:00 leave the office and go home; turn off football for a bit this weekend and play with your kids; take your spouse/bf/gf out on a date.

Getting back to the topic, I'll just say thank you for the music Neil. You have obviously touched so many lives.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2020, 10:53:46 PM »
I can't really say anything that others haven't already.  I don't even know what to say.  Rush is a huge part of my life.  I feel like I can't talk about this and can't not talk about it; can't talk or think about anything else for any length of time.

I hope Neil got to enjoy as much of his retirement as possible. 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2020, 12:07:02 AM »
I'm gutted. I don't think I've been as heartbroken over a musician's death like this since maybe Dio in 2010. Neil's drumming was always stunning, but as others have mentioned here already, his lyrics were second to none. As I've entered into adulthood and delved deeper and deeper into my life, I've often found myself turning to Neil's words as something of a moral compass.

Sleep well, Professor.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TL

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »
A good friend of mine who I hadn't seen in a while reached out today, about Neil. We'll be hanging out tomorrow.

I expect there will be singing, laughter, tears, drinking, hugging, singing, drinking, singing, etc. Thank-you, Neil. Even now, you're bringing people together. The music you helped create truly is powerful.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2020, 01:22:56 AM »
So, so sad. Gave such joy. Peace and love.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2020, 02:16:45 AM »
RIP Professor.... glad I got to see you live once

Offline Lupton

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2020, 03:57:00 AM »
Saw Rush 12 times live. Just finished getting plowed and doing a mini-marathon (Fly By Night through Permanent Waves). Still coping with this horrible news, but doing better now, and have newfound resolve. The shining beacon of his memory will continue to inspire hope in dark times as it always did. Going forward in life, I'll strive to live by the principles and ideals he enshrined in his lyrics. I want to look at life in the available light.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2020, 04:07:22 AM »
In the fullness of time...the cells tick away. RIP Professor Peart.

I'm very grateful I got to see him live on the R30, Time Machine and Clockwork Angels tours. What a supreme individual. What a loss for this world.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2020, 05:46:28 AM »
I can't tell you how difficult it was to drive to work this morning, after waking up to these horrible news!

I could ramble on for hours, but I'll say that while Geddy was my biggest influence in picking up an instrument, Neal has been my biggest influence as a human being period! He was quite simply the best at pretty much everything he did.

He was a kind soul, and a supremely intelligent human being! So while he may be gone, he's legacy in music and literature will live on forever!

R.I.P

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2020, 06:00:33 AM »
I consider myself beyond fortunate to have been able to see them live 12 times. I consider myself, and all of us, lucky beyond measure that we were able to exist at the same time as Rush and enjoy their music.

Rush is and will always be my favorite band, and Neil was my first true personal hero. He wasn't the reason I picked up drum sticks, but he was the reason and the goal to play harder and get better. He also showed me what writing and intelligence could be. And he showed me how hard he worked, not only at his craft, but also personally, with his struggles with fame and the immeasurable loss he suffered and from which he managed to return.

And he gave all of this asking for nothing but respect and privacy in return. Over 40 years dedicated to thousands, if not millions, of people he'd never meet.

Neil, to me, felt like a brother. I know he would never echo that sentiment given his intensely private nature, but his words and playing, along with the other two boys in Rush, reached me in ways no other music ever has. He accompanied my youth, and has accompanied my adulthood, and I'll be damned if that is going to stop now. Rush is now the soundtrack to my kids' lives, as they ask to listen to them and sing along all the time.

I have immense respect for Neil, the way he carried himself and lived his life. His reluctant status as a legend will live forever, his musical creations immortal in the minds, ears, and hearts of everyone who heard them. Generations now and generations to come will be touched by him, and I can't really think of a better tribute than that.

I personally feel more loss than I have ever felt at a celebrity passing, and I'm still struggling to envision a world that doesn't have Neil Peart in it. But we were graced with a talent that willingly shared his gifts with the world, and we are immeasurably fortunate for that.

Thank you for everything, Mr. Peart. I cannot express the impact you had on me and my life, and you will never, ever be forgotten.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2020, 06:06:49 AM »
I really don't even know how to articulate what Rush meant (and still means) to me.  Music was the single biggest thing in my life in my teenage years, and shaped the person who I am.  Rush and Zeppelin were the two biggest contributors to that - and thus in turn, Peart is ultimately a significant architect of my personality, my traits, my 'being'.  I don't say that with any hyperbole or exaggeration.  Rush gave me so many gems of wisdom, words that go beyond meaning, sounds and messages that speak to my soul.  The words and music invoke so many feeling-memories... where you don't always remember the exact events around the memory, but the feelings come rushing back in like the first time you heard the song.  This just played in my earbuds a couple of minutes ago:

Sitting in the sand
To watch the fireworks display
Dancing fires on the beach
Singing songs together
Though it's just a memory, some memories last forever

For me, not only does it invoke the memories of Victoria Day fireworks, but every fireworks show I've ever seen, camping or opening cottages (cuz that's what we all did on May/2-4 weekend), youthful partying, and the feeling of inclusiveness that comes from close friends and family.

Time to take it to the Rush discography thread. That's what'll be in my ears for quite a while.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion