Author Topic: Dali's Dilemma  (Read 711 times)

Dali's Dilemma
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
Hello to the Dream Theater Fan Community!  I guess I'll start my time here by opening a topic page about the band in my user name since I could not find one with the search function here.  Anybody else really like this group and the album they released?  Hearing veteran metal greats like Matt Guillory and Jeremy Colson as they started out with the talented Reyes brothers and the unique Matthew Bradley (RIP) tear through prog really hits the spot for me.

Killer bass solo on this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DcS2zHfM8

So what does everyone on here think?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dali's Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »
Honestly did not know about this band until now.

This song is not bad, I actually enjoyed it. I'll take some time to listen to their music and post later.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
Dali's Dilemma

have the CD, outside production issues its a album I enjoy every now and then.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
yes I know them and bought the CD back in the day.

I would honestly rather listen to them and many of the other bands labeled "prog metal" from that time, over most of the bands labeled "prog metal" of the last 15+ years.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
I remember buying this album (based on the cover art - remember those days???) over 20 years ago...it's a slamming release.

When did Bradley pass???

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 05:44:11 PM »
I also have the CD. No idea when or why I bought it. Was probably a hot topic on the old purple site. A track came up on shuffle not that long ago and was blowing me away. I had no idea who it was and had to look. Good album that I should probably give a full listen to again at some point.

I was not aware that Matt was dead. Just did a search and it appears he committed suicide in 2013. Had no idea, that really sucks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 06:27:25 PM »
DUDE.   You about gave me a heart attack.   I thought maybe the band was getting back together and releasing new material!!   (Hey, Divine Regal is (was?) doing it)

Always was really bummed that this band only did a "one and done".   There were some real gems in the "post DT-explosion" era.   It seems that after IAW, and through most of the 90s, small independent labels tried to capitalize on a craze by signing every DT sound alike they could.   Some had their own spin and were much better than others.   Others were just really excellent clones.   Some were not so excellent clones.  But at least there was a lot of prog CD's coming out.    That was a great time.   

But yes.  I still own this CD.   Still spin it from time to time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bentower

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 05:16:42 AM »
Not a huge fan, but I've always had a soft spot for 'Within a Stare'.
They were definitely a good band, but I was more impressed by Matt Guillory's work and playing in Mullmuzzler.
FYI, Jeremy Colson and Patrick Reyes were featured quite a bit on Trent Gardner's album 'Leonardo - The Absolute Man'.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »
I thought Matt Bradley had a great voice.  His vocals on the "prog supergroup" Explorers Club CD are fantastic....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw-oLyqY1AA

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
I've never heard of the band, but my suspicion is that someone involved with the band started the thread as a means of self-promotion. And they're not going to post further.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
I've never heard of the band, but my suspicion is that someone involved with the band started the thread as a means of self-promotion. And they're not going to post further.

it was a one and done album from 20 years ago, what are they promoting?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 07:04:02 PM »
Still have the CD and I like it, but couldn't tell you when I listened to it last.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 03:49:42 PM »
Glad to see that at least some people here remember this great band.  Just finished listening to the album again, and remembered why I loved it.