Author Topic: Live album bullshit thread!!!  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Live album bullshit thread!!!
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2022, 08:02:27 PM »
I didn't know this was officially released.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/dying-to-live-forever-1993-dream-theater/aplhqwg4d6tqb
Hardly official. :lol
Exactly. It is a legally produced traditional bootleg (in other words, not sanctioned by the band) that has been successfully released due to certain loop holes that have come into existence for shows that were broadcast on the radio. And there's more than one from DT, as well as Rush and I'm sure other bands that have had their shows broadcast on radio.

Lords of Sound is amazing.
It's decent, but not amazing. Like most Kiss the Stone bootlegs, it runs too slow, and IIRC, there's part of at least one track (I wanna say TLF) that is missing.

What show is that?
I could be wrong, but I believe it's the same as Lords of Sound: Milwaukee Summerfest on June 29, 1993 (my first DT show)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2022, 08:05:31 PM »
What show is that?
I could be wrong, but I believe it's the same as Lords of Sound: Milwaukee Summerfest on June 29, 1993 (my first DT show)

OK. I just listened to that a couple of weeks ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2022, 02:07:39 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2022, 08:10:03 PM »
Live at Budokan, however, is warts and all, no?

Actually, close but not quite. There's four overdubs on it, according to MP's audio commentary for his L@B drumcam DVD.

- JR's rig went down as the show started so he had to redo the first minute or so of As I Am.

- James has one overdub in As I Am somewhere in the second verse when his voice cracked on a line. He redid it while still at the Budokan after the audience let out.

- MP overdubbed JLB's shaker in Hollow Years at Kevin Shirley's suggestion.

- MP botched a fill in Solitary Shell that he "couldn't live with" so he redid it.

All things considered, that isn't a whole lot of fixing for a 3 hour concert. I totally get fixing the stuff in As I Am, considering most casual listeners won't be checking out bootlegs, and that first song will be their first impression of the show and their live sound in general of the time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2022, 08:34:10 PM »
Wait, MP overdubbed James' shaker?!  :lol

Poor bloke cops it for his live performances and now can't shake in time?  Classic.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2022, 09:18:13 PM »

Poor bloke cops it for his live performances and now can't shake in time?  Classic.

It was cutting in and out of the vocal mic. I don't think it would've been noticeable. Hell, I don't really notice it now with it "fixed".  ;D But I don't regularly watch it these days so I can't remember if I heard it or not.
But Kevin Shirley thought it was a nice embellishment to the song and suggested keeping it so he had MP overdub it.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2022, 11:50:41 PM »

It was cutting in and out of the vocal mic. I don't think it would've been noticeable. Hell, I don't really notice it now with it "fixed".  ;D But I don't regularly watch it these days so I can't remember if I heard it or not.
But Kevin Shirley thought it was a nice embellishment to the song and suggested keeping it so he had MP overdub it.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2022, 11:13:36 AM »

Live at Budokan, however, is warts and all, no?

Actually, close but not quite. There's four overdubs on it, according to MP's audio commentary for his L@B drumcam DVD.

- JR's rig went down as the show started so he had to redo the first minute or so of As I Am.

- James has one overdub in As I Am somewhere in the second verse when his voice cracked on a line. He redid it while still at the Budokan after the audience let out.

- MP overdubbed JLB's shaker in Hollow Years at Kevin Shirley's suggestion.

- MP botched a fill in Solitary Shell that he "couldn't live with" so he redid it.

All things considered, that isn't a whole lot of fixing for a 3 hour concert. I totally get fixing the stuff in As I Am, considering most casual listeners won't be checking out bootlegs, and that first song will be their first impression of the show and their live sound in general of the time.

Did not know these, thanks for the info. I think I've listened to and watched Budokan the most among all DT live releases.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Trav86

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2022, 02:29:48 PM »
Van Halen - Live: Right Here, Right Now
Maligned for being re-recorded in the studio. But it’s still one of my favorites!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2022, 02:48:34 PM »
Best way to present a live album/DVD:

-Record over a multiple show stand at a venue so you can pick the best version of each song.
-Make sure you can get a good recording of every instrument from the soundboard so you can balance the mix in post without editing/re-recording any of the actual parts in post.
-Discreetly hide a few microphones in the front, middle, and back of the venue or at least have a good directional mic set up by the soundboard to get a good room recording to be mixed in during post.

This should help give a good recording without having to re-record parts in post and will help keep it sounding live. I feel like this is obvious, but so many bands and artists are too focus on having a GREAT “live” recording instead of having a great LIVE recording.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2022, 08:37:35 PM »
Best way to present a live album/DVD:

-Record over a multiple show stand at a venue so you can pick the best version of each song.

I remember watching the Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS way back when and amazed that I never seemed to see any cameras. I couldn't figure out how that could be for the longest time!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »
I just listened to the remixed version of Delicate Sound Of Thunder.  I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.  I wonder if this is a case of "less is more".  I really liked the original release, and I while I like the completeness of the new version, it doesn't "feel" right.  And as much as I like Rick Wright, especially as a singer, I don't care for his vocals in "Comfortably Numb".   He oversings the Roger Waters parts pretty bad; Roger's droll, flat delivery was sometimes PERFECT for the songs he sand, and CN was one of them. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2022, 07:06:37 AM »
I prefer my live albums to just be one concert start to finish. I get why people want extra production/touch ups after, or multiple nights and picking the best performance but to me part of the charm of a live album is you get the performance in its entirety. If there's a small mistake it might add to the charm of it.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2022, 11:11:55 AM »
I prefer my live albums to just be one concert start to finish. I get why people want extra production/touch ups after, or multiple nights and picking the best performance but to me part of the charm of a live album is you get the performance in its entirety. If there's a small mistake it might add to the charm of it.

This.  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2022, 12:16:48 PM »
Lots of albums have been mentioned in this thread, but I don't think anyone mentioned All the World's a Stage (Rush).

It's the entire show performed during the three night stand at Massey Hall.  Nothing added and nothing not included (except on the original CD release), although I know that Fly by Night/In the Mood and Something for Nothing were moved around to make everything fit the vinyl format.

Any other fiddling around with this one (my second favorite live album of all time)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2022, 12:26:54 PM »
Lots of albums have been mentioned in this thread, but I don't think anyone mentioned All the World's a Stage (Rush).

It's the entire show performed during the three night stand at Massey Hall.  Nothing added and nothing not included (except on the original CD release), although I know that Fly by Night/In the Mood and Something for Nothing were moved around to make everything fit the vinyl format.

Any other fiddling around with this one (my second favorite live album of all time)?

Not that I'm aware of other than the fact that original CD versions left off "What You're Doing" due to length constraints.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/alltheworldsastage.html

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2022, 02:41:00 PM »

Good call! One of my faves too. What's your favorite live album?