Author Topic: Virgil Donati  (Read 1244 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Virgil Donati
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »
Virgil has a new album out, entitled Ruination. I'll be interviewing him this Friday. Questions for him? I'll try to squeeze in a question about the DT audition, Planet X and that dream lineup of him, Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai. Anything else you'd like to know?

Offline romdrums

Re: Virgil Donati
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »
I would ask him about N American tour dates for IceFish and how things are looking for a second IceFish record.  I really like their debut album and would love to hear more from them.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 08:29:39 AM »
I would ask him about N American tour dates for IceFish and how things are looking for a second IceFish record.  I really like their debut album and would love to hear more from them.

+1
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
Good one. I am not yet familiar with IceFish. What do they sound like?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »

like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkExYyD2nwE
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »

An eargasm! Very technical but still infectious melodies and vocals.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »

Wow, that was awesome!!!! Thanks!!!

That's the beauty of doing all these interviews: you're driven to check out things that you wouldn't necessarily pursue otherwise.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:14 AM »
Virgil has a new album out, entitled Ruination. I'll be interviewing him this Friday. Questions for him? I'll try to squeeze in a question about the DT audition, Planet X and that dream lineup of him, Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai. Anything else you'd like to know?
Hi Rodrigo. I love the work you do and enjoyed your recent interview with Ron Thal. You also interviewed Away (Voivod) which makes you a hero in my book.  :hefdaddy

Could you ask Virgil about the show(s) he played with Tribal Tech? I've always been curious how that came about and what his take was on the situation? To get an idea, here's Virgil with Tribal Tech. Totally badass!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8itZQQr0pXk

I would also love to hear his thoughts on Allan Holdsworth, considering he was one the last drummers to tour with him while he was still alive.

If you have bigger fish to fry, and don't feel these inquiries fit your narrative, that's totally cool! Virgil has done a lot of work over the years so there are probably too many topics to discuss outside of his solo work.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
Hi Rodrigo. I love the work you do and enjoyed your recent interview with Ron Thal. You also interviewed Away (Voivod) which makes you a hero in my book.  :hefdaddy

Could you ask Virgil about the show(s) he played with Tribal Tech? I've always been curious how that came about and what his take was on the situation? To get an idea, here's Virgil with Tribal Tech. Totally badass!

I would also love to hear his thoughts on Allan Holdsworth, considering he was one the last drummers to tour with him while he was still alive.

If you have bigger fish to fry, and don't feel these inquiries fit your narrative, that's totally cool! Virgil has done a lot of work over the years so there are probably too many topics to discuss outside of his solo work.

Thanks!!! I'll try to fit some of those in. The Tribal Tech stuff is surely interesting to discuss.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »

Thanks!!! I'll try to fit some of those in. The Tribal Tech stuff is surely interesting to discuss.
That would be totally awesome if you can manage it! Either way, thank you for the good work you do for the music community.  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »

He's from Melbourne I believe.  You could give your condolences in regards to the fires and hopefully whichever part he originates from is okay.

Ask him to reunite Ring of Fire haha, great band.  I guess they tried Seven the Hard Way, but that kind of didn't work.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 02:41:50 PM »
I spoke to Virgil during a VIP meet and greet in his last tour in Austin. I was the only one doing the VIP  :rollin. It was an amazing experience chatting with him. Talked to him for about 30 mins and we touched on the Allan H. subject. He is a great guy to talk to and he even gave me a tour of his drumkit and took a couple of pics with him. Very down to Earth guy.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »
I spoke to Virgil during a VIP meet and greet in his last tour in Austin. I was the only one doing the VIP  :rollin. It was an amazing experience chatting with him. Talked to him for about 30 mins and we touched on the Allan H. subject. He is a great guy to talk to and he even gave me a tour of his drumkit and took a couple of pics with him. Very down to Earth guy.

I'd love to know what he said. I saw the Holdsworth live stream on 11/21/15 before the CruiseTTE gigs. The whole thing was about as unprofessional as possible. It seems like whoever was organizing (or the venue?) completely screwed the band. Apparently they had no adequate monitoring, so no one in the band could hear each other...sort of important in jazz-type improvisational reliant music! :eek   Whoever did the filming just stuck a camera in front of the band, turned it on, and let it roll. It was little better than an audience iphone recording. I could tell that Virgil was getting SO pissed off.  >:( I literally thought he was going to walk-off the stage in anger at one point! One point he did walk away from the kit and I didn't think he was going to come back, but he did.  Allan just seemed his usual drunk* bemused self, making apologies to the crowd after every song. The thing was a trainwreck and I felt so bad for everybody involved. To think that someone like Allan, after everything he's done, was being handled in such an amateurish way was very saddening.   

*I eventually came to learn that Allan was getting completely hammered for many of the shows in the latter half of his live career and personally witnessed one such incidences at the Kessler theater here in Dallas. Incredible to think that Virgil would continue to work with someone with that level of dependency. Guitar legend or not.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »

I met him here in September. He did a show with his new band, promoting the new album already. Cool guy, and his band was awesome.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
 Virgil was AMAZING!!! We e spoke at length about the new album, working with Vai, Tribal Tech, his old band from Australian called Southern Sons, a possible Planet X anniversary tour, complex versus accessible music, his work with Alan Holdsworth, the second IceFish album which is in the works, and yes, I asked him about the audition for Dream Theater. This will be a great one, guys...stay tuned!!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 02:13:51 AM »
Virgil was AMAZING!!! We e spoke at length about the new album, working with Vai, Tribal Tech, his old band from Australian called Southern Sons, a possible Planet X anniversary tour, complex versus accessible music, his work with Alan Holdsworth, the second IceFish album which is in the works, and yes, I asked him about the audition for Dream Theater. This will be a great one, guys...stay tuned!!!!

No Ring of Fire? Bah!

Southerns Sons had a couple of massive hits here.  Heart in Danger is a wonderful song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 02:19:15 AM »
Southern Sons actually reformed for a short tour (with Virgil) late last year - minus Phil Buckle .   Not sure if that's it or more is in the works.  Perhaps it is covered in the interview.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 02:29:13 AM »
Jones (Thomas) was a good guitarist.  Shame he couldn't really make a decent name for himself after Southern Sons.  I guess the session work and playing in backing bands would have paid the bills.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 02:36:09 AM »
The best guitar teacher I ever had .............let me rephrase that .......the teacher who was the best player (big diff) was best buds with Irwin and reckoned he was the best player he had played with.  So based on that Southern Sons was the tip of the iceberg in terms of his playing , as it was for Virgil.   I also saw them together in a Van Halen covers band called Hans Valen where they cut loose a bit more.   

Not sure if Donati was in it but there was a related band called Theater of Dreams (DT covers) doing the rounds..........can't recall.  Might've just been Simon Hosford. 

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lupton

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 03:45:41 AM »

Awesome! Can't wait to check this out. Wow. Such a large range of topics, it's so cool that you managed it all. Complex vs. accessible music... that's going pretty deep. It sounds like this is going to be very insightful. Thank you so much for your work Rodrigo!  :metal