Author Topic: New Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 13261 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: New Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2023, 06:26:54 PM »
Is there a particular reason why he specifically thanked Judas Priest?

They stayed on as his opening act through all the delays

Funny thing about that.  I've read in a Download Festival forum that Priest was the main supporting acts for Ozzy's tour of the UK that we now know is set to never happen at this point.  However, with all of these delays and postponements, apparently, Priest was not allowed to do any their own headlining shows in England/UK throughout the ordeal.  Quite a huge gap in their native market.  Only did Bloodstock Festival in 2018 and 2021 for their UK shows.  Last time they did a non-festival show in England was in 2015 in London at the Brixton Academy.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2023, 06:53:29 PM »
Sad to read that statement and that he has to stop before he's really ready to.  Hopefully he'll find peace with it and finds some silver linings.

agreed... 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2023, 08:06:07 AM »
Really sad about Ozzy. I am a huge fan. I am sad for him but I am also sad that this is part of the realisation that some of my heros and favourite ever bands/artists that are still around are coming near to the end of the road.

Yup. We are going to see a lot more of the classic acts come to an end in the coming years.  It's sad, but life.  The question I have, for the rock and metal world, who are the bands that will take their spots?  Maybe no one in the genre will get this big again. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2023, 08:44:33 AM »
Really sad about Ozzy. I am a huge fan. I am sad for him but I am also sad that this is part of the realisation that some of my heros and favourite ever bands/artists that are still around are coming near to the end of the road.

Yup. We are going to see a lot more of the classic acts come to an end in the coming years.  It's sad, but life.  The question I have, for the rock and metal world, who are the bands that will take their spots?  Maybe no one in the genre will get this big again.

This is a GREAT question, but one that can't really be answered in real time.  No one really saw "Led Zeppelin" coming, when the Beatles were fading, and yet... 

It won't be the obvious choices, but someone will rise from the ashes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2023, 09:20:08 AM »

Well, you can look at which bands headline festivals Iron Maiden and Metallica usually headline when those bands aren't there.

I can see Ghost becoming huge headliners in the future, but they don't heave the same mass appeal of the giants. Rammstein are pretty big and they headline stadium tours, but again, industrial music might not be for everyone.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2023, 09:22:11 AM »
Those bands aren't young either.

Online The Realm

« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2023, 02:28:11 PM »

This is a really great question and I am not sure there is an answer. I don't feel there is a 'young' band at this level at this stage but yes maybe one will or more will rise but my feeling is that no one will be this big again.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2023, 02:47:35 PM »
Yeah it's a lot harder for newer bands to stand out. MTV is 95% reality shows, normal radio plays the same bands/songs over and over again, and you have to hope that the almighty youtube/spotify/social media algorithms direct new listeners your way as your main source of word of mouth. Like if it wasn't because of this forum there is a lot of bands I otherwise would've never heard of.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2023, 03:58:24 PM »
Probably a sign of the times but it's hard to see bands really making as much of an impact in this day and age like they did back then.  I think times might have changed too much.

You got bands like Trivium who spring to mind who could nicely steer the ship but in reality, who could really see anyone really doing what Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Zep, Queen, Stones etc. did in their respective genres.

I don't think there's a definitive answer, time will tell.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2023, 08:26:28 AM »
Probably a sign of the times but it's hard to see bands really making as much of an impact in this day and age like they did back then.  I think times might have changed too much.

You got bands like Trivium who spring to mind who could nicely steer the ship but in reality, who could really see anyone really doing what Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Zep, Queen, Stones etc. did in their respective genres.

I feel the same way.  Sure another band will take that headlining festival slot, but is there ever going to be someone like Ozzy in the metal genre who is a house hold name across the globe?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2023, 09:25:42 AM »

I feel the same way.  Sure another band will take that headlining festival slot, but is there ever going to be someone like Ozzy in the metal genre who is a house hold name across the globe?

Not in the rock genre.  I mean, I know Billie Eilish, but for me, someone like "Panic! At The Disco" isn't moving the needle like a Queen or Kiss did.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2023, 09:29:58 AM »
This conversation happened in a Steven Wilson interview and it feels like everyone is just magically forgetting that The Foo Fighters exist. It may not be “metal”… but they are out there playing legit rock and roll to stadiums, and people pack them.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2023, 09:37:09 AM »
This conversation happened in a Steven Wilson interview and it feels like everyone is just magically forgetting that The Foo Fighters exist. It may not be “metal”… but they are out there playing legit rock and roll to stadiums, and people pack them.

Dave Grohl may be the closest to a modern day Ozzy in terms of popularity.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2023, 09:38:33 AM »

Dave Grohl may be the closest to a modern day Ozzy in terms of popularity.

It's unfortunate, since I'm not really a "Dave Grohl" fan, but even I've called him the "2020's Phil Collins".  I mean, he does have that level of popularity.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »
I like Dave Grohl, I'm just not a huge Foo Fighters fan nor was a I a huge Nirvana fan so musically it's not my favorite, but the guy comes off really well and likeable.  He's not really metal though.  If I were to think of the biggest name in metal that's not from the 80s or earlier, it may be Corey Taylor.  Who isn't quite as likeable as Dave.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2023, 09:46:26 AM »
What about Tool? I know it took them an eternity to come out with an album, and maybe Maynard isn't the household name that Ozzy is but they're still pretty big.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2023, 09:50:47 AM »
What about Tool? I know it took them an eternity to come out with an album, and maybe Maynard isn't the household name that Ozzy is but they're still pretty big.

I feel like to be as big as the biggest, you need to transcend genre and speak to a lot of different audiences. Tool doesn't do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2023, 09:54:23 AM »
Maybe so.  Though I can say that even though my non metal fan family know who Ozzy (and Metallica) are, they don't like and aren't interested in the music whatsoever.

And most haven't heard of Iron Maiden, who I know isn't quite as big but were mentioned in this thread.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2023, 09:56:24 AM »

Maybe, Tool are huge for sure.  I don't think Maynard is quite the household name like you say though.  I don't know, I'm still struggling to think of anyone as big as Ozzy Osbourne.  I mean, the guy had a hugely successful MTV show.  That type of platform just doesn't even exist anymore.

I feel like to be as big as the biggest, you need to transcend genre and speak to a lot of different audiences.

Yup. And being on MTV helped that, also having some of those hit Black Sabbath / Ozzy songs constantly on movies and popular media for many years helps too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »

Maybe, Tool are huge for sure.  I don't think Maynard is quite the household name like you say though.  I don't know, I'm still struggling to think of anyone as big as Ozzy Osbourne.  I mean, the guy had a hugely successful MTV show.  That type of platform just doesn't even exist anymore.

I feel like to be as big as the biggest, you need to transcend genre and speak to a lot of different audiences.

Yup. And being on MTV helped that, also having some of those hit Black Sabbath / Ozzy songs constantly on movies and popular media for many years helps too.

Look, my dad, who is no idiot and didn't live under a rock, knew two of the artists I listened to:  Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne.  He knew bands - Maiden in particular - but didn't know any individuals except for those.  He was actually excited - in the sense that he knew it was a big deal - when I told him I met Gene.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2023, 12:26:29 PM »
Yeah, my Mom knows who Ozzy is.  Enough said  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »

I remember Matt Heafy doing a video chat with one of the guitarists from Avenged Sevenfold awhile back during Covid and they started talking about this very topic and trying to come up with who in their generation were basically the next flagbearers for metal.  In terms of leading the charge in a live setting, they called out their two bands, and if I recall, I think the other two they mentioned were FFDP and BFMV (neither of which hold any interest for me, but that's fine). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2023, 04:20:34 AM »

I remember Matt Heafy doing a video chat with one of the guitarists from Avenged Sevenfold awhile back during Covid and they started talking about this very topic and trying to come up with who in their generation were basically the next flagbearers for metal.  In terms of leading the charge in a live setting, they called out their two bands, and if I recall, I think the other two they mentioned were FFDP and BFMV (neither of which hold any interest for me, but that's fine).

Interesting.  Are Avenged Sevenfold still even active I wonder?  Bullet are a good band but they seem to be falling away from the spotlight.  FFDP seem popular but I haven't heard a thing from them.  I should though as they have Andy James now.  Trivium seem to have the work ethic and ascendancy though currently.  They are easily the pick of the four for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2023, 06:30:24 AM »

Interesting.  Are Avenged Sevenfold still even active I wonder?  Bullet are a good band but they seem to be falling away from the spotlight.  FFDP seem popular but I haven't heard a thing from them.  I should though as they have Andy James now.  Trivium seem to have the work ethic and ascendancy though currently.  They are easily the pick of the four for me.

As good and as popular as they are, and they are, I just don't see them at the level of Ozzy and Kiss.  Again, Ozzy and Kiss transcended their genre and entered the zeitgeist.   FFDP and A7X just aren't there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2023, 09:25:12 AM »
A7X is still around, should have a new album this year and have been announced as a US festival headliner this summer but they've been so quiet since cancelling their 2019 summer tour.  As much as I may have thought they could have been the next big metal band, I don't think hibernating for 4 years helped their cause and I no longer see them as that band personally (while I love their last album, The Stage, it was also a commercial flop).  FFDP aren't there and I don't think they ever will be.  I don't think they are good or unique enough.  They are certainly popular just like A7X are though.  Funny enough A7X opened for Metallica in 2017 and in 2023 FFDP are going to open for Metallica.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2023, 09:29:40 AM »
Despite what many think of them, I'd say Creed was on their way there before disbanding. Nickelback may also be close.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2023, 02:30:20 PM »
Despite what many think of them, I'd say Creed was on their way there before disbanding. Nickelback may also be close.

Creed was pretty big for sure... Id have to really think on this question as there aint much left sadly
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2023, 05:26:31 PM »
NOT "metal" but I think "rock" is hanging its hopes on GVF! I think they may be the ONLY hope for a resurgence!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2023, 06:17:40 PM »
GVF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2023, 07:29:33 PM »
GVF?

I believe he means Greta Van Fleet

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2023, 07:30:12 PM »
GVF?

I believe he means Greta Van Fleet

Doesn't he play for the Raptors?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2023, 07:30:58 PM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2023, 02:51:48 AM »
NOT "metal" but I think "rock" is hanging its hopes on GVF! I think they may be the ONLY hope for a resurgence!

Aren't they essentially a Led Zeppelin clone?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2023, 03:38:48 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2023, 08:11:20 AM »

Aren't they essentially a Led Zeppelin clone?

Not a clone. That would be their first single as 15 year olds which sounds like a LZ song.  They have two albums now, while classic rock sounding, that are quite diverse.  They are really good and if people are hanging onto what was said when they first got noticed 5 years ago, they are doing themselves a disservice.

Having said that, I'm not sure they are the next big thing either.  I'm sure touring for Metallica helped them, but their third album needs to see continued success and growth.  The potential is there, but there's such a large amount of people who hate them for sounding like classic rock, without even listening to them.