Author Topic: New Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 13182 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: New Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 09:02:50 PM »
All of this "his last good album was No More Tears"-type chatter is mystifying, considering how good Ozzmosis was. :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »
I was thinking the same thing................that sort of era is where it stops for me but I would tack Ozzmosis onto the end of the 'golden era' and say that I basically don't care for anything much after that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
Heck...Lemmy was the only thing that saved No More Tears...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Volante99

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
Ozzmosis is aight. A few decent tracks, but definitely the end for Oz as a serious/relevant musician.

It’s definitely a step down from No More Tears, though. Say what you want about Zakk Wylde, he kiiiilled it on that album. A great guitar album.

After Ozzmosis, Ozzy just seemed to be done. Down to Earth was released to cash in on the reality show. Everything else has just been producer written shlock. If actually writing an album in a BAND context is out of the question, it seems like he needs a team of writers to crank out a decent album, a la No More Tears/Ozzmosis.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 11:13:07 PM »
In all fairness, that Pop/Hip-Hop producer used to be in a band with Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham.  California Breed.  They were all right.  Opened for Alter Bridge in 2014.  Sad that the band didn't last long, but good for Andrew Watt finding success in other outlets of music.  Also, I would think he would have a good idea, working with Glenn Hughes, on how a classic rock-sounding album should be like in modern times.  Working with Ozzy with his "limitations" would be a challenge, I would think though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 12:02:48 AM »
Who the fuck is Post Malone?  Sounds made up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 12:28:45 AM »

Probably one of the top 5 recording artists of the last few years. Wildly successful albums in 2018 and 2019, with over 60 million records sold (whatever that means today). Not my cup of tea but his song with Ozzy...isn’t terrible. Catchy with a half decent guitar solo which is more than I can say for the two solo singles that have been released so far. Not sure what was the catalyst to work with Ozzy was but apparently he’s a huge old school metal/Black Sabbath fan.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2020, 03:49:43 AM »

Probably one of the top 5 recording artists of the last few years. Wildly successful albums in 2018 and 2019, with over 60 million records sold (whatever that means today). Not my cup of tea but his song with Ozzy...isn’t terrible. Catchy with a half decent guitar solo which is more than I can say for the two solo singles that have been released so far. Not sure what was the catalyst to work with Ozzy was but apparently he’s a huge old school metal/Black Sabbath fan.

Wow.  Shows how out of touch with the mainstream I am.  Seems a strange matchup.  It's not like Ozzy needs mainstream success or money or anything.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2020, 09:53:51 AM »

I figured it was a reference to the time after Karl Malone retired from the NBA.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
Post Malone is sadly garbage
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
That's not accurate.   We might not like his music, but the guy IS talented.  He's not just a "hey big name producer, throw down some beats and I'ma going to riff" rapper.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »

I figured it was a reference to the time after Karl Malone retired from the NBA.

:lol

Oh, and Ozzmosis is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
That song is terrible.

What's the point of Ozzy doing another record? He's got plenty of dough. He's got a legacy. He must have greed, or someone else close to him does.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
That song is terrible.

What's the point of Ozzy doing another record? He's got plenty of dough. He's got a legacy. He must have greed, or someone else close to him does.

You're right, there's no real point him doing another album unless it's something with a bit of heart and some thought and effort put into it.  I guess he just wants to stay as relevant as possible.  Well, probably Sharon anyway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 07:08:03 AM »
I don't get the hate for Sharon, really.  I mean, I do, but just because the music isn't what we want/like doesn't necessarily mean it's all Sharon behind the scenes forcing Ozzy to do shit he doesn't want to do.  For all Ozzy's past, with the drugs and the infidelity and illnesses, I can very much see him wanting to do this to stay busy.  Up until the 2000's you can't really say Ozzy was ever about the money; if he was, he really made some dumb ass decisions.  And he's always been relatively insecure about his place in the sun.  Once he got out from under the shadow of Black Sabbath, it's been an almost constant thing for him to try to be "The Prince Of Darkness"TM

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
Once he got out from under the shadow of Black Sabbath, it's been an almost constant thing for him to try to be "The Prince Of Darkness"TM

Just for the heck of it, I searched the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's database and found two registrations for "[The] Prince of Darkness."  One was less than a year ago (and has since been abandoned) by a Missouri LLC called The Prince of Darkness, LLC (no apparent connection to Ozzy).  The list of goods and services made me chuckle:  "Promoting the goods and services of others in the fields of management of celebrities, attorneys, namely, divorce attorneys, hospitals, funeral homes, steely eyed bankers and loan officers, bail bondsmen and repossessors, insurance adjusters, pay day loan companies, politicians, members of Congress, Satanic Temple, Baphomets, and Jayhawks."  http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:udlaej.2.1

The other, also abandoned, registration was from 2016 and was in connection with clothing and other such things.

The time is now for SharOzzy to turn the "TM" into a circle-R.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
I take the new stuff for what it is. I mean the dude is 70 years old now, it's just cool that he is still alive honestly. I like these new songs better than his other most recent stuff (last couple albums). Far from his best without question, but not bad. He isn't sounding like Tony Bennett or Johnny Cash, he's still trying to be a rocker. I give him credit.  :hat

Offline Volante99

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »
I think Ozzy is just as capable as Johnny Cash was in turning out a respectable album this late in his career. Even Sabbath’s 13, while no masterpiece, had a lot of good things going for it.

Unfortunately, Kevin Churko started writing his music and modernized it using what I believe to be Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson as a template, foregoing the metal sound and theatrical guitar driven music for a more polished, less guitar more beat/synthesizer heavy sound, with radio friendly sing along-y choruses.

It seems like Andrew Watt is continuing that trend. I think it’s dreadful but judging from a lot of social media comments SOME people seem to dig it. It is what it is.

Maybe I’m bias but if I were Ozzy I’d hire John Petrucci (an admitted Randy Rhoads fan) to write an album and get Bob Daisley back to write the lyrics.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2020, 09:51:51 PM »
Err....I don't think Bob Daisley would be up for that.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2020, 10:57:24 PM »

Shhhh
Don’t spoil my fantasy

I didn’t say Ozzy wouldn’t have to show up at Bob’s house in a Brinks truck full of cash to make it happen. It’s not like JP would be chomping at the bit either given Ozzy’s history of compensating former guitarists...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:03:14 PM by Volante99 »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2020, 11:42:28 PM »

Shhhh
Don’t spoil my fantasy

I didn’t say Ozzy wouldn’t have to show up at Bob’s house in a Brinks truck full of cash to make it happen. It’s not like JP would be chomping at the bit either given Ozzy’s history of compensating former guitarists...

JP is an interesting selection for Ozzy mate.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »

I was thinking some sort of Cheers sequel, and maybe Sam had died.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
I don't get the hate for Sharon, really.

Somebody activated the El Barto signal!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
Jesus, it sounds like his dentures are sliding out when he's singing and does his Ss
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
HAHA, going to the airport with my daughter yesterday and she says "hey check out this song I like!" and it's Post Malone and Ozzy.   I kind of dig it, but the rest of the Post Malone she played (from his new album) is far better. There's little straight rapping, and more singing.

Again, you may not like his gig, but he's the real deal.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
HAHA, going to the airport with my daughter yesterday and she says "hey check out this song I like!" and it's Post Malone and Ozzy.   I kind of dig it, but the rest of the Post Malone she played (from his new album) is far better. There's little straight rapping, and more singing.

He seems like a decent kid,, the face tat thing is kinda "loserish"  but his music is not for me, but most music isnt for me LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
That song is terrible.

Part of me feels like he is nearing the end of his life, he had a real bad accident that took him out for awhile, everyone thinks he's dying... he probably feels he still has something to prove.  Haven't listened to any of his new songs, but I will.  As of now, I still have a ticket to see him this summer at MSG from the cancelled show last year.  I keep wondering if it will even happen but if he's got new music, then I feel like the show will go on.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
That song is terrible.

Part of me feels like he is nearing the end of his life, he had a real bad accident that took him out for awhile, everyone thinks he's dying... he probably feels he still has something to prove.  Haven't listened to any of his new songs, but I will.  As of now, I still have a ticket to see him this summer at MSG from the cancelled show last year.  I keep wondering if it will even happen but if he's got new music, then I feel like the show will go on.

I agree, 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

Agreed. I’ll say it again, for all the flack Ozzy got for doing this, it’s legit the best thing he’s done in 20 years (although that’s not saying THAT much). And while Post Malone isn’t my thing, he’s much less offensively bad than most “artists” currently in the top 40.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2020, 06:52:47 PM »
The Post Malone song isn't of any interest to me , but the new song with Elton is probably the closest he has got to his classic (ballad) style in ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWUxkZEuJG4
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2020, 01:39:57 AM »
That cover art for the album tho  :rollin
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »
I've enjoyed all 3 songs so far.... even with some of the questionable lyric decisions in Straight to Hell.

Then again I can't bring myself to fully dislike anything by him. I pretty much like every album. Ozzmosis being the most criminally underrated IMO
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2020, 06:10:01 PM »
Parkinson's really sucks ass, but in his case it's probably an upgrade from the assumptions we've been making. If he's just been laying low dealing with that then he's likely got a few good years ahead of him. I had assumed he was pretty much shutting down. Had I known this I probably wouldn't have put him on my deadpool list. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson