Author Topic: New Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 13193 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2022, 04:00:58 AM »
Better than Ozzmosis??

Even Down to ERth I really liked.

Best since NMT is a massive statement.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2022, 07:50:51 AM »
Better than Ozzmosis??

I'm standing by it.  I thought Down To Earth and Ozzmosis were... okay. There was one very good album between them, IMO.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2022, 08:00:35 AM »
It's not that massive a statement if you consider everything after No More Tears to already be a major downgrade.  I really like Perry Mason and Thunder Underground off Ozzmosis.  For me, everything else on that album is "meh".  And, everything after that, up until this album, is stuff I'll never listen to again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2022, 03:56:33 PM »
Better than Ozzmosis??

I'm standing by it.  I thought Down To Earth and Ozzmosis were... okay. There was one very good album between them, IMO.

It's not that massive a statement if you consider everything after No More Tears to already be a major downgrade.  I really like Perry Mason and Thunder Underground off Ozzmosis.  For me, everything else on that album is "meh".  And, everything after that, up until this album, is stuff I'll never listen to again.

This is all fair enough to be honest.  I was thinking about the time NMT was released, not the amount and quality of content that was released since then.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2022, 10:15:58 PM »
Seeing that halftime performance he did got me wondering about something.  During the 2 songs he performed, he moved maybe 2 feet.  When (more like "IF") he actually does a proper tour, do you think the days of Ozzy being mobile onstage are over?  I mean, he's a 73 year old guy with Parkinson's who had back surgery not too long ago.  Plus, during that performance, he's standing in front of one of those harnesses (more like a bracing bar) you see the guys in TSO and KISS use when their platforms go 30 feet in the air.  He had one for raising from 6 ft below the stage.  They were probably terrified he'd fall over before he even made it up to stage level! 

The more I hear him speak about touring, I truly believe it's as much his desire as it Sharon's to keep putting him back on stage.  However, at this point, I wish he'd call it a day and ride into the sunset.  But, I think he has a tour still technically on hold from back in 2019.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2022, 06:38:18 AM »
Seeing that halftime performance he did got me wondering about something.  During the 2 songs he performed, he moved maybe 2 feet.  When (more like "IF") he actually does a proper tour, do you think the days of Ozzy being mobile onstage are over?  I mean, he's a 73 year old guy with Parkinson's who had back surgery not too long ago.  Plus, during that performance, he's standing in front of one of those harnesses (more like a bracing bar) you see the guys in TSO and KISS use when their platforms go 30 feet in the air.  He had one for raising from 6 ft below the stage.  They were probably terrified he'd fall over before he even made it up to stage level! 

The more I hear him speak about touring, I truly believe it's as much his desire as it Sharon's to keep putting him back on stage.  However, at this point, I wish he'd call it a day and ride into the sunset.  But, I think he has a tour still technically on hold from back in 2019.

His mobility was limited back in 2016 when I saw him with Sabbath. He'd go back and forth in the center of the stage but that's about it.  And even then he was shuffling like an Oompa-loompah.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2022, 08:08:38 AM »

His mobility was limited back in 2016 when I saw him with Sabbath. He'd go back and forth in the center of the stage but that's about it.  And even then he was shuffling like an Oompa-loompah.

He wasn't all that mobile when I saw him 30 years ago!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »
True.  He'd kinda stumble/stagger from one side of the stage to the other.  But, you didn't have to wonder if he was gonna fall over.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »
An oompa-loompah.  :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2022, 10:32:46 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2022, 12:57:21 PM »
Zydar  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2022, 06:32:14 PM »
 :lol  Outstanding!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2022, 08:24:31 PM »
 :rollin

Offline emtee

« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2023, 07:33:06 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/entertainment/ozzy-osbourne-tour-retirement-announcement-intl-scli/index.html

Ozzy says he's done touring forever.

I saw a recent pic of him in a grocery store and he looked hunched over, frail and old. Definitely physically unable to perform live.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2023, 07:36:10 AM »
He's calling it quits at 74? Pussy.

But honestly, good for him. Just chill dude. Enjoy what borrowed time you have left. Hope it's as long as he needs it to be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2023, 08:09:23 AM »
I'm not surprised - happy to have seen him at a number of Ozzfests:

1997 - solo & with Sabbath
1998 - solo
1999 - with Sabbath
2004 - with Sabbath

I stopped going to see him live after that, since the shows were usually the same with short sets and the same songs every year.  But good for him for finally deciding to stop touring.  He's earned his place in rock and metal history. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2023, 08:23:38 AM »
He didn't explicitly say he's done touring forever, but he doesn't need to say it. We can tell.

I saw him with Sabbath in 2016. Not only was his voice really good, he was also in a fine shape, falling to his knees to bow to the audience and stuff. Such a charismatic performer.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2023, 08:25:30 AM »
He didn't explicitly say he's done touring forever, but he doesn't need to say it. We can tell.

I saw him with Sabbath in 2016. Not only was his voice really good, he was also in a fine shape, falling to his knees to bow to the audience and stuff. Such a charismatic performer.  :tup

I saw that 2016 tour as well, and it was excellent. Great show.  I've seen him once with Sabbath (as I said, excellent) and once solo (not nearly as good).  That's enough for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2023, 08:33:56 AM »
Saw him with Sabbath in 2005 and 2016 and then solo in 2018.  Had a ticket to see him again in 2019 at MSG and then he got injured and postponed that to 2020 and we all know what happened next.  Sucks, I would have really liked to see him again.  In my video of that show from 2018, at the 20 second mark I actually say it could be the last time for the "no more tours 2" and well, that seems correct now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50I5jaSISs

I'm glad he can do this on his terms though.  For awhile I thought for sure he was going to die on stage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2023, 09:12:47 AM »
I just read the statement so I should take back the "his terms" because I guess he's never fully recovered from the injury

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »
I know it's fun to make $haron jokes but a few years ago when he did a tv interview talking about his injuries and the possibility of never performing again I thought the man was gonna burst into tears. You could tell that being able to do what he does still meant the world to him. Now I'm sure he'll never fully retire from music as it sounds like he wants to try and do some one off shows that don't require a lot of traveling. Then of course he could put out another Ozzy & Friends album every year or two. Still a shame that he wasn't able to end his touring days the way he wanted to.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
I know it's fun to make $haron jokes but a few years ago when he did a tv interview talking about his injuries and the possibility of never performing again I thought the man was gonna burst into tears. You could tell that being able to do what he does still meant the world to him. Now I'm sure he'll never fully retire from music as it sounds like he wants to try and do some one off shows that don't require a lot of traveling. Then of course he could put out another Ozzy & Friends album every year or two. Still a shame that he wasn't able to end his touring days the way he wanted to.

I'll tell you what, it's not Diary Of A Madman, but the current record is pretty good.  My stepson and I sort of bond over Ozzy and we actually listen to that a lot. (We have Touch Tunes and whenever someone plays something we think is shit at the local bar, I play "Ordinary Man").

Offline pg1067

« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2023, 11:29:39 AM »
Is there a particular reason why he specifically thanked Judas Priest?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2023, 11:44:38 AM »
Is there a particular reason why he specifically thanked Judas Priest?

They stayed on as his opening act through all the delays
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2023, 12:53:31 PM »
Must have been a huge personal blow for him, I'm sorry for all the people who hoped for this tour to happen.

I don't want to be too cynical and this is not on Ozzy of course but on promoters worlwide, but when he thanks fans for patiently hold on to the tickets... well, what choices did they have anyway? get a refund because "I'm tired of waiting"? it's not that you can send the tickets back, once you purchased them, either the show gets officially cancelled, or you're stuck with them. Of course many will have sold them secondhand, but still, that's something that happens between concert goers, it does not go back to the original ticket sale, so waiting for the tour to happen was the only option for people who purchased tickets (aside from selling them secondhand) regardless if they had the patience for it or not.

This applies to every concert, of course, not just Ozzy. As for him, I hope he will get well soon and maybe he will play some concerts here and there when he's comfortable. Never been a fan but this doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic towards one of the defining figures of the genre we all love!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »
Usually for concert postponements, there's a window to get a refund after they announce the new date.  So waiting is not the only option, but at this point, that was likely the only option if you didn't get a refund in the window which was likely a long long time ago.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2023, 01:01:34 PM »
Sad about Ozzy. But he's been retiring from the road for the last 30 years, so no surprise here, especially given his condition.

Gotta say, I enjoyed his early solo material up through Ozzmosis. Best record to me, front to back, is No More Tears. But live...I saw the guy once on Ozzfest...1998, I think it was. With TOOL and Megadeth. Ozzy was the worst of the three main acts by far. Then a couple tours later, he does a headline show of 12 songs (I didn't go, a friend did). Right then and there, I said I'd never go see Ozzy again, and I didn't.

Much respect for his legacy (I am more a fan of Dio-era Sabbath than Ozzy, but I love those Ozzy solo albums up through the mid-90s), but glad he'd calling it a day regarding extended "touring." Guy should have been done at least 25 years ago.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2023, 01:15:36 PM »
I really thought he was mostly fine from the 2018 solo show and 2016 Black Sabbath show.  Clearly old and struggling, but mostly pretty good.  Significantly better than some of his peers. Couldn't understand a thing he said between songs, but when singing, he sounded fine.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2023, 01:49:32 PM »
Bloom County comic strip from December 1986

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2023, 03:00:03 PM »
I really thought he was mostly fine from the 2018 solo show and 2016 Black Sabbath show.  Clearly old and struggling, but mostly pretty good.  Significantly better than some of his peers. Couldn't understand a thing he said between songs, but when singing, he sounded fine.

Was it actually him singing, or were they backing tracks?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »

Was it actually him singing, or were they backing tracks?

Is he known for using backing tracks?  Definitely was him.  He's not great by any means.  Just saying, all things considered, he puts on a decent performance.

That last show I saw he wasn't happy with his performance of Mama I'm Coming Home so after the song he said he wasn't happy with it and did the entire song again  :lol  I've never seen anything like that at a show before

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2023, 03:40:18 PM »
Right. I remember you telling that story.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2023, 04:02:53 PM »
Really sad about Ozzy. I am a huge fan. I am sad for him but I am also sad that this is part of the realisation that some of my heros and favourite ever bands/artists that are still around are coming near to the end of the road.

I have always thought that Ozzy puts on a great show and his live singing has always been fine even when his stage movement has significantly decreased over the years.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2023, 05:21:59 PM »
Sad to read that statement and that he has to stop before he's really ready to.  Hopefully he'll find peace with it and finds some silver linings.