Author Topic: New Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 13231 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
New Ozzy Osbourne
« on: January 06, 2020, 11:37:38 AM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: New Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
The last album I enjoyed from him was Down to Earth, back in 2001 (?).  He just hasn't had any quality songs written for him since then.  Boring riffs, boring melodies, stupid lyrics.  I'm surprised so many people seem to like this based on the video's comments.  Put this up against any of his classic material and it completely pales in comparison.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 11:53:19 AM »
I'll make you scream, I'll make you defecate.

Really? This is what Ozzy has become? -sigh-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »

Ozzy (tm)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 11:57:07 AM »
Did I read Wiki correct that this song was cowritten by Duff McKagen and Slash?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
My opinion of Ozzy(tm) is pretty much the same as my opinion of Hot Topic.  And their "business model" and trajectory is almost identical.

Online Adami

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
My opinion of Ozzy(tm) is pretty much the same as my opinion of Hot Topic.  And their "business model" and trajectory is almost identical.

Completely disagree.

Hot Topic didn't peak in the 80's/early 90's.    :P
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »
Id give the song about a 7.5 max   ,,,,meh  ,,,, and I love Ozzy
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »

Completely disagree.

Hot Topic didn't peak in the 80's/early 90's.    :P

:rollin :rollin

Online Adami

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »

7.5 is meh? That's 75/100. That's a passing score for sure.

I'd give this a 4/10 at most.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty awful.  What a sad parody Ozzy has become.  I'm of a similar opinion as expressed by Grapp, except that I was decidedly off the Ozzy bandwagon long before 2001.

EDIT:  :rollin at this in the comments:
Ozzy: i am the dark lord
Sauron: am I a joke to you?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 12:13:40 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »

well   at his age I dont ask for much and Im sure the album is just a reason to tour, I dont think anything "classic" will come from this album : )

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »
well   at his age I dont ask for much and Im sure the album is just a reason to tour, I dont think anything "classic" will come from this album : )

In the abstract, I have zero problem with this sentiment.  I think it's perfectly acceptable for an artist to put out something that, admittedly, they know does not approach the magic of the glory days as a justification to get out on the road and reconnect with the fans.  But I do have a problem taking the artist seriously when the quality seems to be lacking and the product makes me feel like the artist does not have anything to say creatively and is just phoning it in.  This makes me feel the latter. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
Nothing special, nothing new. And the autotune can be heard kilometers away.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 12:24:39 PM »
It's my understanding that Slash plays on it, but didn't write it.

Eh.  I'm a huge Ozzy fan, and certainly his work up through No More Tears is worthy of the legend.  Every album since has been, for me, a step down (and the last two are ridiculous steps down; I'm not a fan of the more industrial sound of the last two, and frankly, I don't like what I've heard so far (though I'm not a fan of online snippets and samples; I need to hear it in my car to really know). 

Online Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
I listened to the first 45 seconds or so. I turned it off after "I'll make you scream. I'll make you defecate." Just awful. The music is an attempt to modernize Ozzy. I get it. But Oz looks like death warmed over with fresh makeup. He's been done for 20 years...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »

Look, big Ozzy fan, but even that... it's not like you're going to see a Kiss or Maiden stage show, or get a three-hour Dream Theater show.  Even Ozzy live is qualified by "I don't ask for much".   At least seeing Sabbath the final time I got to see Geezer and Tony up close.  (I was third row right in front of Geezer and it was legendary).  Ozzy was good, but he wasn't the focus of the band or the reason they kicked ass.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »

Look, big Ozzy fan, but even that... it's not like you're going to see a Kiss or Maiden stage show, or get a three-hour Dream Theater show.  Even Ozzy live is qualified by "I don't ask for much".   At least seeing Sabbath the final time I got to see Geezer and Tony up close.  (I was third row right in front of Geezer and it was legendary).  Ozzy was good, but he wasn't the focus of the band or the reason they kicked ass.

Maybe Live he will still have the ( some ) gravitas,,,, he is OZZY.  it would be sad if he was gone,,

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
He's playing about 45 minutes from me (assuming the tour goes on).  A buddy and I might make the trip if we have nothing better to do, but I saw him last (solo) in '96 on the "Retirement Sucks" tour (with Joe Holmes) and it was nothing to write home about. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
He's playing about 45 minutes from me (assuming the tour goes on).  A buddy and I might make the trip if we have nothing better to do, but I saw him last (solo) in '96 on the "Retirement Sucks" tour (with Joe Holmes) and it was nothing to write home about.

Hmmmmm that does not sound promising bro,,,,,

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »
Hey, if you've never seen him you have to go once.  And I would assume that older is wiser; he sang in a lower register when I saw him with Sabbath in... 2016 I think it was, and while he was occasionally flat, he didn't suck, and you knew he was singing live.   It was a great show, and it's a privilege to watch Ozzy sing some of those classics with Tony and Geezer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »

LOL!  I wasn't sure I had heard that right, but that's about where I turned it off.

That was downright awful.  The main riff was ok, but the "alright now!" and "flying high again" call backs got my eyes rolling (I assume there were other call backs).  It made me think of that one Yes song (or maybe it was ABWH) where they did that, and that's not really a good thing.

Yeah, that's pretty awful.  What a sad parody Ozzy has become.  I'm of a similar opinion as expressed by Grapp, except that I was decidedly off the Ozzy bandwagon long before 2001.

Yup.  Last Ozzy album I bought for myself was No Rest (and I don't think I have it anymore).  My wife has a couple of the 90s Ozzy albums (the one with No More Tears and one other).  Capt. Pinch Harmonic killed Ozzy for me, but this song is a new level of bad.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:15 PM »
Hey, if you've never seen him you have to go once.  And I would assume that older is wiser; he sang in a lower register when I saw him with Sabbath in... 2016 I think it was, and while he was occasionally flat, he didn't suck, and you knew he was singing live.   It was a great show, and it's a privilege to watch Ozzy sing some of those classics with Tony and Geezer.

I had tickets to seem him on the hairspray tour (The Ultimate Sin).   I was only going to see Metallica.  Cliff was still alive.   Ozzy cancelled.   (the official story was laryngitis, but rumors abound that Metallica was blowing him off the stage).   Cliff died two months later.  I never got to see Metallica with Cliff.   

I'm still bitter.  ...but I can kindof laugh about it now.   ...but I haven't loved Ozzy since Diary, and I haven't liked him since NRftW....and maybe a couple tracks from NMT. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 03:27:22 PM »
Yeah, I’m with most here that he’s done pretty much nothing decent since No More Tears which was excellent. I saw him live on the tour for that album as a teenager (it was the second metal show I ever saw and the first proper big theatre concert) and he was absolutely incredible, one of the best frontmen I’ve ever seen and Zakk Wylde was also a full on rockstar back then. Incredible show.

I then saw Sabbath (I was at the concert recorded for the Reunion live cd) and that was a monumental show. The excitement in that arena was palpable, proper grown men crying stuff. It was just classic riff after classic riff and relentless brilliance. Yes, by then, Ozzy didn’t go for some of the higher notes but it didn’t matter.

Last time I saw him was the Ozzfest UK in 2002. Line up was awesome, Tool, SOAD, Slayer and Ozzy obviously closed the show. I thought he seemed pretty washed up even then, could hardly even raise his arms to clap. Zakk was also now a bloated pale shadow of his former self and seemed to have run out of ideas.

The guy is a legend but should have quit after those two Sabbath (proper Sabbath with Bill Ward) shows and gone out on a high.  Wouldn’t pay to see him now even if he was playing within walking distance.

The only songs I can remember being half decent since NMT are Perry Mason and the song on Slash’s first solo album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 03:37:13 PM »
Yeah, that song was pretty fucking shit.  Should have been taken down a couple of keys too.  The whole thing actually reminds me a Muse.

Fucking crap solo too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
Considering where he was in his career (two-plus decades), it still blows my mind how amazing No More Tears is...a late-career highlight at the time that I still consider to be amongst his finest work. Hard to believe that was nearly 30 years ago!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »

In the abstract, I have zero problem with this sentiment.  I think it's perfectly acceptable for an artist to put out something that, admittedly, they know does not approach the magic of the glory days as a justification to get out on the road and reconnect with the fans.  But I do have a problem taking the artist seriously when the quality seems to be lacking and the product makes me feel like the artist does not have anything to say creatively and is just phoning it in.  This makes me feel the latter.

I agree  but,,,,,,, I simply have low expectations with his health issues etc,,,,, id not say phoning it in but its not magical for sure,,,

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

Steel Panther Smiled  :  )

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 04:42:19 PM »
I had tickets to seem him on the hairspray tour (The Ultimate Sin).   I was only going to see Metallica.  Cliff was still alive.   Ozzy cancelled.   (the official story was laryngitis, but rumors abound that Metallica was blowing him off the stage).   Cliff died two months later.  I never got to see Metallica with Cliff.   

I'm still bitter.  ...but I can kindof laugh about it now.   ...but I haven't loved Ozzy since Diary, and I haven't liked him since NRftW....and maybe a couple tracks from NMT.

The "hairspray tour."   :lol :lol :lol

I can confirm the rumors.  The Seattle shows were scheduled for June 21 & 22, 1986.  I saw the June 14 show in Long Beach, which ended up being the third to last show that Metallica opened for Ozzy.  Ozzy played a relatively short set on the Bark tour two years earlier, but it was my first metal show, so I didn't know any better.  On the Sin tour, he only played for about 70 minutes.  I remember when he did the whole "thankyougoodnight" after Iron Man that it was really short, but maybe he'd do a long encore.  Nope.  Just Paranoid.  The best part of it was that he gave Metallica a bit of a longer set than most openers got at the time, and Metallica was indeed the highlight of the evening.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 04:58:21 PM »

I can confirm the rumors.  The Seattle shows were scheduled for June 21 & 22, 1986.  I saw the June 14 show in Long Beach, which ended up being the third to last show that Metallica opened for Ozzy.  Ozzy played a relatively short set on the Bark tour two years earlier, but it was my first metal show, so I didn't know any better.  On the Sin tour, he only played for about 70 minutes.  I remember when he did the whole "thankyougoodnight" after Iron Man that it was really short, but maybe he'd do a long encore.  Nope.  Just Paranoid.  The best part of it was that he gave Metallica a bit of a longer set than most openers got at the time, and Metallica was indeed the highlight of the evening.

He cancelled in Providence on that tour. I was so bummed to miss Metallica.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 05:54:38 PM »
Man, that was awful. Surprisingly so since the last single he put out was perfectly decent.

And seeing him in that video tells me that I was right to include him in my 2020 deadpool. Damn, he looks awful.

He cancelled in Providence on that tour. I was so bummed to miss Metallica.
That sucks. You've seen my pictures from that show. Suffice it to say that Metallica was young and hungry and Ozzy was coasting his way through everything back then.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 07:05:06 PM »
Yeah. He came back that September, but with Queensryche, but since I thought RFO kind of blew, I just sold my ticket.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 07:07:08 PM »
The consolation prize was that they came back to Seattle in December as a headliner at Mercer Arena (so the old rumors that they weren't doing arenas until after AJFA are a load of hooey).   

Local heroes Metal Church opened (original singer David Wayne was still alive and the whole band stormed the set on pogo sticks during Metallica's encore).    So in some ways we probably ended up with a better show than we would have got opening for Ozzy...  But still....missing the opportunity to see Cliff is irritating. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »
The consolation prize was that they came back to Seattle in December as a headliner at Mercer Arena (so the old rumors that they weren't doing arenas until after AJFA are a load of hooey).   

Local heroes Metal Church opened (original singer David Wayne was still alive and the whole band stormed the set on pogo sticks during Metallica's encore).    So in some ways we probably ended up with a better show than we would have got opening for Ozzy...  But still....missing the opportunity to see Cliff is irritating.

Yeah, they (Metallica) played in Providence in October or November too, and I believe Metal Church opened here too. I didn't go, and honestly, I have no idea why.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »
Man, how amazing would it be if Ozzy got all the old musicians back together (Jake E Lee, Zakk Wylde, BOB DAISLEY, Tommy Aldridge, etc etc), bury the hatchet, give them all a nice paycheck for a week or two of work, and do one last hurrah album/project for one of the greatest icons in the history of music. You know, maybe do something special for the fans? Fans as in people who ACTUALLY spend money on his music and go to his concerts.

But nah...once again they get a Pop/HipHop producer to write an album in 4 days and dig up Duff McKagen and Slash to guest appear. Booooo.

I have no problem with Ozzy doing duets with Post Malone, but it is a bit of a shame that it’s the best thing he’s done in at least 20 years now.