Author Topic: DT Album Sounds  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Architeuthis

DT Album Sounds
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to discuss the over-all distinct sounds of different DT albums. They all have their own production value and a certain vibe.
I would like to start with Train of Thought: I really like the rawness of this album. It has a nice dry organic sound which is very fitting for the metal vibe it puts out.
 When cranked loud, it's still easy on the ears and it's not over-produced with all the highs piqued. I also notice it's not over saturated with effects.  Just a good solid metal album!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DT Album Sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:20:43 PM »
I think Train Of Thought sounds so sterile. It sounds like it was recorded on a computer. Those songs simply do not breathe. Songwise, it's actually an amazing album but if I want to hear those songs, I will likely grab a boot from that tour or listen to Live At Budokan. I never listen to ToT proper.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
One of the most distinctive elements of Awake, to me, is the way Kev played and the sounds he chose. It gives the album a dark atmosphere, which works really well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:36:12 AM »
Love Awake and the way everything has room to breathe and sounds so dark and melancholic.
Great choice of sounds from Kevin, and Petrucci's guitar sounds so powerful.
Could be my favorite DT album in terms of sound.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 07:10:55 AM »
I REALY love ADToE, but the guitar sound is my least favorite off any DT album.  It just doesn't have the crunch and attack that I normally like to hear on metal albums.  It's probably more the fault of the mix than the sound JP chose.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
Since this topic is about the SOUND of the albums I must reply in it!  Great thread!!! 

I will have to think about what album(s) sounds the best for me and for what reasons.  But I will say this for now: It took me a while to appreciate the sound on Black Clouds & Silver Linings.  At first, I really didn't like to «Big Sound» production.  But for years now, I keep returning to this one, first because of the songs BUT also because I really like the sound of it.  I also really like the bonus tracks of the special 3CD's edition (Odyssey, Take Your Fingers From My Hair..............and of course the instrumentals).

Since the thread started with Train Of Tought, I will say that I really like the heaviness of it and the songs of course.  Distance Over Time feels to me like a kind of TOT Part 2 because of the heaviness.  The sound of TOT is weird I think.  I do appreciate the mixing by Kevin Shirley but I feel it could have been better.  I believe that if this album would've had the same kind of mix as Scenes From A Memory and 6 Degrees, it would have been even better.

Great thread!!!

Tx
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:38:49 PM by theshatteredfortress »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 03:50:44 PM »
I think Train Of Thought sounds so sterile. It sounds like it was recorded on a computer. Those songs simply do not breathe. Songwise, it's actually an amazing album but if I want to hear those songs, I will likely grab a boot from that tour or listen to Live At Budokan. I never listen to ToT proper.
I prefer Budokan as well, but not because I dislike the sound of TOT.  I just like the energy with which the band plays those songs live.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 07:04:21 PM »
-FII - Love the sound on this record. Sounds very "vintage" with all the organs, the clean guitars, etc.
-DOT - Heavy yet very clear production on the bluray stereo mix. Sucks that the CD stereo mix is subpar.
-ADTOE - Love the mix and separation of instruments, everything clear...but the thin sound of the guitar makes it a non-favorite for me.
-Awake - Probably my favorite of the bunch. Nice metallic sound, and everything is very clear.
-SDOIT - Love the warm feel that both discs have, specially disc 1.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
I prefer Budokan as well, but not because I dislike the sound of TOT.  I just like the energy with which the band plays those songs live.

As for the live albums, I really like the sound of the Chaos In Motion CD's!

Tx

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 11:05:52 AM »
Even though ToT is not my absolute favorite sounding DT album, as I said above I like the warmth and dryness of it. 
 The vocals are also done well and shows JLB's natural tone without it being drown in chorus fx.  I also love the sound of the rhythm guitar and bass on this album.  It's probably DT's heaviest album, but it's softer on the ears if that makes sense.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
I REALY love ADToE, but the guitar sound is my least favorite off any DT album.  It just doesn't have the crunch and attack that I normally like to hear on metal albums.  It's probably more the fault of the mix than the sound JP chose.

That's interesting because I consider that the quintessential JP guitar tone comes at the 3:45 mark of BAI. Talk about crunch! The overall sound of the album does feel really compressed however and MM's drums seem a little dull but to me, that doesn't take away from JP's overall tone.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 08:08:54 AM »
Definitely Awake..I mean every time I put the cd in my stereo it sounds so good..I can hear everyone crystal clear plus the vibe of the record is really special..my least favorite is probably DT the album..DoT also sounds good but besides the absence of dynamics am I the only one that thinks the cymbals of MM are blurring the overall sound a little bit..I don't know, either way DT HQ is on the way and it's probably something they should've done a long time ago!

Online Lupton

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
Definitely Awake..I mean every time I put the cd in my stereo it sounds so good..I can hear everyone crystal clear plus the vibe of the record is really special..my least favorite is probably DT the album..DoT also sounds good but besides the absence of dynamics am I the only one that thinks the cymbals of MM are blurring the overall sound a little bit..I don't know, either way DT HQ is on the way and it's probably something they should've done a long time ago!

No you're not the only one. I noticed how completely awful the cymbals sounded on DoT instantly. The rest of the drums sound fairly good, but the cymbals sound like complete and utter shit. They remind me of poorly compressed mp3s. However, we may be alone in this observation, as your post is the first I've seen to pick up on this.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 06:41:49 PM »

No you're not the only one. I noticed how completely awful the cymbals sounded on DoT instantly. The rest of the drums sound fairly good, but the cymbals sound like complete and utter shit. They remind me of poorly compressed mp3s. However, we may be alone in this observation, as your post is the first I've seen to pick up on this.

No I hear it too. Poorly compressed mp3 is actually a great way to describe it- it’s almost like certain frequencies in the top end aren’t there. During the little ditty Mangini does during  “Maculate, there is no cure” on AWE, I legitimately thought my CD was skipping.

Online Lupton

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 07:13:29 PM »

No I hear it too. Poorly compressed mp3 is actually a great way to describe it- it’s almost like certain frequencies in the top end aren’t there. During the little ditty Mangini does during  “Maculate, there is no cure” on AWE, I legitimately thought my CD was skipping.

Yep, sounds about right regarding the frequencies. Honestly my only gripe about the whole album. You'll probably never hear me say another unkind word about that record.  :angel: