Author Topic: I'm really curious!!!  (Read 4187 times)

I'm really curious!!!
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »
......Well I'm not THAT curious in life in general.  But these days I have some fun thinking forward about the music the band is gonna bring in the next years :)

I feel that Dream Theater could surprise us all over again in the not-so-distant future.  Now that they have made 4 albums since 2011, and three of those are «regular» albums, I think the door is wide open for them to do whatever they want.  And my guess is that they will not disappoint us the fans :)  I strongly believe their next albums will be masterpieces BUT in a different twist.

What do you think about it?  I'm curious to know!!!

Thanks for reading!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: I'm really curious!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »
I'm hoping the next album goes for a more experimental approach, like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I wanna see more long songs, in the 10-15 minute range. Whatever they do, though, I've never been disappointed by any album Dream Theater's made, so even if they were to try doing something like Falling Into Infinity again, I'd find something to love about it. (And by something, I mean just about everything.)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
I want them to write a 30 minute epic :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:32:37 AM »
Yeah, they've done three albums of (mainly) concise songs now. It would be cool for them to return to the epic-scale album they haven't done since ADTOE, with wide-ranging, expansive songs that take us down a maze.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »
I want them to write a 30 minute epic :biggrin:

100% yes!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 07:08:57 AM »
I can see them continuing with the shorter/concise approach but adding one 10+ minute song in there.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
I'm not sure I see them branching out and doing something really different.  I expect similar, mostly short songs and maybe a couple longer ones. I wouldn't be upset if they continue what's working from the D/T, but I wouldn't be upset if they did try to do something more experimental either. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:39:55 AM »
I hope the next album contains more cowbell.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
Something interesting to consider is that DT15 will be the first one to be written/recorded at their new studio (DT HQ, as they call it). Hope we get more news/info on that soon, btw.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »
Something interesting to consider is that DT15 will be the first one to be written/recorded at their new studio (DT HQ, as they call it). Hope we get more news/info on that soon, btw.

I didn't know this information.  It's good to know :)  Is there a link where I could see a video or hear about it?

Tx

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »

I didn't know this information.  It's good to know :)  Is there a link where I could see a video or hear about it?

Tx

They really haven't made any official announcements and all the info we have on it comes from small bits here and there.
Here's the JP guitar camp announcement for 2020, look at where he is and what he says in the first few seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfw_Gt0oYoI
This is another one at the same place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOY6nwXNteU and I believe he even posted about this on Instagram like a year ago (recording instructional videos of D/T at DT HQ).

And I don't remember where I read this, but I'm almost sure I read in an interview with either him or James where he said that they had to buy a lot of professional recording gear for the D/T sessions, so the next logical step for them was to build their own studio with it.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »

Tx

They really haven't made any official announcements and all the info we have on it comes from small bits here and there.
Here's the JP guitar camp announcement for 2020, look at where he is and what he says in the first few seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfw_Gt0oYoI
This is another one at the same place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOY6nwXNteU and I believe he even posted about this on Instagram like a year ago (recording instructional videos of D/T at DT HQ).

And I don't remember where I read this, but I'm almost sure I read in an interview with either him or James where he said that they had to buy a lot of professional recording gear for the D/T sessions, so the next logical step for them was to build their own studio with it.

Thank you for the links I will check them out!  I knew that they had to buy (or rent???) recording gears to record their last album where they wrote it.  If this is now their HQ that would be great knowing that the result was Distance Over Time :)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »

Tx

that actually was Jimmy T. during the instructional video for Barstool IIRC, I'm fairly certain anyway. (so "the other James" as it were)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 10:47:21 AM »
I personally hope they continue with the concise song approach.   I believe the writing for DT is stronger that way with ACOS being the lone exception and that was 25 years ago.    AWE feels super epic to me... it doesn't need to be 35 minutes.   

Six Degrees is amazing so if they do a 30-40 minute song I hope it at least has fully fleshed out tracks like SDOIT.   I don't really consider SDOIT one song anyways.

Either way though, I echo the sentiment that whatever they do, I'm sure we will find something to love about it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
I always say the same thing - I'd love to hear as raw a studio recording as possible. Chatter, string squeaks, drum clatter, room noise, etc. They don't really need polishing and cleaning up.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 02:55:55 PM »
I always say the same thing - I'd love to hear as raw a studio recording as possible. Chatter, string squeaks, drum clatter, room noise, etc.

You mean basically the "real" ending of At Wit's End?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »
AWE feels super epic to me... it doesn't need to be 35 minutes.

AWE = At Wit's End I suppose?  In that case I agree with you it's a concise epic song :) 

Personally speaking, I tend to like the longer songs more than the shorter ones because I can «Take The Time» to embark on a journey within the context of 1 song.  I find it quite amazing in itself!!

Tx

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Only three things I want on the new DT:

1. Don't master everything up to 100 guys. Let the music breathe. Go back and listen to Falling Into Infinity.
2. Write a 30min epic. And longer songs in general. I like that they explored shorter songs now, but I'd really like some longer songs again.
3. Get Adam friggin Getgood for the drums  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »

1. Don't master everything up to 100 guys. Let the music breathe. Go back and listen to Falling Into Infinity.
2. Write a 30min epic. And longer songs in general. I like that they explored shorter songs now, but I'd really like some longer songs again.
the irony is that FII was mastered to death as well: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/108147 (and it's unlistenable to me)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
Actually I was thinking that a lot lately..
The albums from 2011 until now had their moments, with some great music in some songs, but the albums weren't something that surprised me..I remember in the early-mid 00's everyone of my friends agreed that DT was one of the few bands that could surprise you or just curious what direction will they go next..
Although the band has stated many times that they want to return to the core of DT in my opinion they haven't..not so much..but what I really wish is to return to their core form of pieces and combine also their modern influences..They should careful craft a new album that sounds fresh and has a theme, returning to the familiar long song format and epic side they have..it's just the DNA of the band..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:29:46 AM by IgnotusPerIgnotium »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »
I'm a bit torn on the fact that their strongest albums of the MM-era have also been their safest.  (IMO, DT12 and D/T)

I don't want them to play it safe.  I want them to take chances.   I respect TA more than I like it.   I still defend it because I feel like it was such a ballsy album to make.   And if anything, I feel like it could have been amazing if they had just fleshed out some of the ideas a bit more. 

I'm not sure what I want them to do except that I hope they throw me a big time curveball.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NoFred

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »

Somehow the new album will be recorded/produced/mastered completely different from all previous albums lol. I would love a great sounding album because the music quality is still there.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the songs pushed longer (ADToE) even at the risk of being long for the sake of it (BCSL) But I think they’re a band that is so good composing in the ~10min range. So no epics needed, but a little longer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 06:59:28 PM »
I don't want them to play it safe.  I want them to take chances.   I respect TA more than I like it.   I still defend it because I feel like it was such a ballsy album to make.   And if anything, I feel like it could have been amazing if they had just fleshed out some of the ideas a bit more. 

I'm in the very pro-TA camp, but what you say is very true. Even if one doesn't care to listen to it, you have to respect the effort and enormity of the project.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 05:08:28 AM »
Nobody can deny that TA was a huge accomplishment, that really stretched in my opinion the writing capabilities of the band..I respect it as a great progressive achievement that very few if any band can deliver such task. Also the music in it is great, although not a fan mainly because of the stylistic approach they took, the melodies and some motifs are very good but not so much fleshed out though..The problem is that it took a great toll dividing the fan base and in my personal opinion within the band..for the first time within the band only two members wrote the music independently from the others that's why DoT was a needed response like Petrucci mentioned at the InsideOut Youtube Interviews..to reunite the band and really make a music and personal connection with the other members again.
So yeah huge respect for TA and I hope this time Petrucci as the main producer for years figure out a way to present something fresh and exciting!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:36:59 AM by IgnotusPerIgnotium »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »

I honestly think that would help a lot. I think people's perception of MM's playing would change if Nolly engineered and mixed his drums.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 08:29:45 AM »
I personally hope they continue with the concise song approach.   I believe the writing for DT is stronger that way with ACOS being the lone exception and that was 25 years ago.    AWE feels super epic to me... it doesn't need to be 35 minutes.   

Six Degrees is amazing so if they do a 30-40 minute song I hope it at least has fully fleshed out tracks like SDOIT.   I don't really consider SDOIT one song anyways.

Either way though, I echo the sentiment that whatever they do, I'm sure we will find something to love about it.

Agreed completely. Concise songs. Not saying they should be three minutes long. But seven-ish minutes, with the usual DT flourishes, usually means they get wise, and trim the fat, and just play for the song. And THAT, to me, is good songwriting. Not to say having a 10 or 12 minute cut is bad -- of course it isn't. But I hope the days of Dream Theater noodling just to noodle are over. At Wit's End is a great example of an epic tune without overstaying the welcome.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 08:50:09 AM »

Agreed completely. Concise songs. Not saying they should be three minutes long. But seven-ish minutes, with the usual DT flourishes, usually means they get wise, and trim the fat, and just play for the song. And THAT, to me, is good songwriting. Not to say having a 10 or 12 minute cut is bad -- of course it isn't. But I hope the days of Dream Theater noodling just to noodle are over. At Wit's End is a great example of an epic tune without overstaying the welcome.

See, except for very few instances, I never get the "noodling just to noodle" vibe from DT. Some stretched out instrumental sectional (to me) usually have a story to tell related to the song or just flows and fits so well with everything else that it doesn't feel like "noodling just to noodle". I know some here have issues with songs like Outcry, Sacrifice Son or Ministry of Lost Souls but that very same reason.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline emtee

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 10:52:54 AM »
I'm fine with any and all creative choices as long
as they get the sonic quality right. D/T was an A+
sounding album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 03:00:54 PM »
I always say the same thing - I'd love to hear as raw a studio recording as possible. Chatter, string squeaks, drum clatter, room noise, etc.

You mean basically the "real" ending of At Wit's End?

Yeah, sort of. Maybe that's a bit too raw.  :lol When I said "raw as possible" i kinda meant as raw as possible while still sounding good, whatever that means to anyone.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 05:42:48 AM »
An album that sounds like D/T but with longer songs and more experimental vibe and I think I could have an all time favorite. Was dreaming of an SDOIT with the D/T sound just the other day. I love D/T in the way it sounds and think they hit something they should continue develop from.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 06:12:32 AM »

I want them to include a 17 minute song that's a sequel to The Astonishing that is the heaviest shit ever, while still being symphonic.

And as a bonus track, a rerecording of The Killing Hand.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
My favorites are the epics. I would like longer songs - a mix really - with good story-telling and weird, thoughtful ideas. I think "noodling" is part of DT, so some of that is fine. Make the vocals better than D/T. I didn't care for the sound.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »
My favorites are the epics. I would like longer songs - a mix really - with good story-telling and weird, thoughtful ideas. I think "noodling" is part of DT, so some of that is fine.

This! :metal

Offline Volante99

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
I always say the same thing - I'd love to hear as raw a studio recording as possible. Chatter, string squeaks, drum clatter, room noise, etc. They don't really need polishing and cleaning up.

This. So much this. I want a stripped down, raw sounding album. Something a bit like Liquid Tension Experiment or Train of Though; I want to hear a band playing together. Get the guys in a room together and mic up their shit and let them loose.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 06:17:18 PM »

This. So much this. I want a stripped down, raw sounding album. Something a bit like Liquid Tension Experiment or Train of Though; I want to hear a band playing together. Get the guys in a room together and mic up their shit and let them loose.

You mean Distance over Time?