General > Musicians

New Original '(I'm) Calling You' by tds/cosmic orchestra

(1/1)

cosmicwxdude:
Fellow music lovers. I write and produce songs for my own and perhaps some others pleasure.  You know, like we all want/hope and try to do as songwriters/musicians.  Well this is my latest concoction and it's got a rather proggy-artsy-melodic-soaring-meandering sort of a vibe/sound but reigned in just enough.  I play all instruments/vocals but use drum machine for the beats.  Have a listen if you care to. Little over 3 min 24 sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjoTHu-zXw4&feature=youtu.be

I like to record each individual instrument straight through with no punch-in edits. If I can't make it from start to finish once I've learned/developed each instrumental part, well then what's the point?!  So i piece each instrument together with individual takes once I've developed/learned the parts. I repeat and repeat until I develop some patterns, rhythms, melodies etc...I develop songs with the guitar first, find the chord progressions I'll used, add in the drums and build from there. Then once I feel more comfortable with solos, keys, bass,  fills etc... I lay down the tracks.  Sure it may take several takes to get it right, but I think it gives the song a more natural feel.  Once the 'music' is recorded/written I then focus on the words for the song and find subject matter based on how the song sounds/feels and the mood to inspire me.   

Anyways, I digress...Have a listen and all criticisms positive, neutral or negative welcome as always.

Photo montage is of my original photos and I actually edited them a bit to go along with the music this time!  :lol

TDS and The Cosmic Orchestra

Architeuthis:
Cool thanks for sharing!  I enjoyed the song and the photos.  I take a similar approach to recording, getting each track right the whole way through without punch-ins. It just flows better and more natural if it's performed the whole way through.
 As far as this recording, my only suggestion would be to back off the guitar solo a bit in the mix and add some delay to it. That would give it more ambiance imo. I'm not trying to be critical, it's your art and the final result should be how YOU like it.  It's just nice to see these kinds of posts with original music.  :tup

cosmicwxdude:
Thanks Arch!  I tried to have a clean sound on the first part of the solo but then allowed it to be more ambient, soaring/delay/verb sound as I come out of the initial clean part of the solo.   I like to try and keep the songs interesting as possible and thought the clean sound to the soaring sound change worked in this one.  I appreciate the commentary. Appreciate it! Rock on!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version