Author Topic: My interview with Hugh Syme  (Read 916 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

My interview with Hugh Syme
« on: December 27, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
It took us a while, but here it is: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-hugh-syme/?fbclid=IwAR3JtT6ntDB2GoxtH9jze6s2tTqLuYMzytTm-PcLMq-WWmzL4diniqUbS3c

I hope you listen to it, enjoy it, comment on it and share it with as many people as possible!!!

Offline gzarruk

Re: My interview with Hugh Syme
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
Enjoyed this one a lot :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »
Thanks, never seen a picture of the guy ever until I clicked on your link.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
It's a stock photo. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »
Rod, pretty good and comprehensive interview.
I check HS website and saw lots of covers I was familiar with, but never realised it was Hugh's work.
The one in particular is Damn The Machine, one of my fave albums and artwork.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »
Thanks guys! Obviously there were many more albums to talk about, but it was already a long chat, and I didn't want it to be an astonishing effort to go through it all. I love how this one turned out more like a conversation than a proper interview. Even when I called him to discuss how the interview would be carried out, the chat was so insightful, that I was tempted to include it on the video. We spoke about the three red dots of Hold Your Fire, about the postcard from Neil Peart to him that ended up being the basis for the cover of Test for Echo... really cool stuff!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »
Overall, really well done Rodrigo. Personally, I could've done without the rehash of how he first got involved with Rush and some of the other things that have been covered in other recent interviews, and I was bummed that you didn't ask if he would be doing a second book focused on all his non-Rush album artwork or talk about his over-reliance on stock photography these days. But major props for asking *the* question - about the shoddy execution of some of his more recent artwork! That took some guts, and I'm glad he was willing to answer it, although I dunno how I feel about his comment that anyone who criticizes these details must have too much time on their hands (a polite way for saying they're losers).

Anyway, another great interview!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
I can ask him about the book in an email if you want, man. By the way, PM me, I have something to tell you related to DT and Hugh, which he asked to edit out of the interview.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 11:54:42 PM »
Why couldn’t you just PM him that comment, now I want to know  :lol

Good interview though! It’s interesting to hear from him, as you don’t often get to hear from the people that make the album art.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
Overall, really well done Rodrigo. Personally, I could've done without the rehash of how he first got involved with Rush and some of the other things that have been covered in other recent interviews, and I was bummed that you didn't ask if he would be doing a second book focused on all his non-Rush album artwork or talk about his over-reliance on stock photography these days. But major props for asking *the* question - about the shoddy execution of some of his more recent artwork! That took some guts, and I'm glad he was willing to answer it, although I dunno how I feel about his comment that anyone who criticizes these details must have too much time on their hands (a polite way for saying they're losers).

Anyway, another great interview!

A lot of that stuff (Rush) is covered in the book (which is really well-made) Only draw back for me was the final pages consisted of celebs praising the band, which for me is a little tiresome.

I was curious to know the differences between his work in analog and digital and what the challenges are using them.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »
I can ask him about the book in an email if you want, man. By the way, PM me, I have something to tell you related to DT and Hugh, which he asked to edit out of the interview.

Well now we all want to know!  Great interview Rodrigo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
Wow, this has to be one of my favorites that you've done, Rod.  I didn't anticipate so much cool information and conversation.  This was fantastic.  Great work!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
Why couldn’t you just PM him that comment, now I want to know  :lol

Yeah seriously.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »
Wow, this has to be one of my favorites that you've done, Rod.  I didn't anticipate so much cool information and conversation.  This was fantastic.  Great work!

Thank you!!!!!