Author Topic: How important is a sense of humor?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: How important is a sense of humor?
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
First, no I've seen nothing about him being a joke thief. The dude could improvise more jokes in an hour than most comedians could write in a week. The dude was just never off. I think that's what people mean.

I knew a guy who once had dinner with Williams and he was apparently in stand up mode the whole dinner. Made his food talk and everything. I can see that being a bit exhausting for some.

I heard about it while he was still alive and I'm not even into comedians. I don't know if it's true but the accusation has been out there for years.

https://www.kempa.com/robin-williams-prince-of-thieves/

Yeah that dinner story does sound like it would be annoying.

Looked into it a bit more. Apparently he recognized that when he improvised a ton, he would occasionally repeat a joke he heard without thinking and then catch himself. He seems to have owned up to it, but that's quite different than intentionally joke stealing. I guess it's a product of his brain working so fast, he didn't censor everything he should've. Apparently, from what I could read, if he realized he did that, he would often compensate the original writers pretty well. Never seemed to be intentional. Guess it's a risk with rapid improvisation, you may not realize where you got that idea from in the moment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
I have a respect for Williams, but I'm not enamored of him.  He's funny, but sometimes that manic silliness is not my (comedic) thing. 

Underrated actor, though, when he was able to shut off the mania.   Fan of "One Hour Photo" and "Insomnia". 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 04:12:56 PM »
I have a respect for Williams, but I'm not enamored of him.  He's funny, but sometimes that manic silliness is not my (comedic) thing. 

Underrated actor, though, when he was able to shut off the mania.   Fan of "One Hour Photo" and "Insomnia".

I've been meaning to watch One Hour Photo for years but never got around to it. Insomnia was pretty good from what I remember.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
That brings something to mind (usually keeping WR's threads on topic is hard because he asks weird questions you can't discuss all that much about, but oh, do I try). It's important not to be too funny. I look at most comedians, and I wouldn't want them to be my loved ones, whether they are troubled, fucked up, or just assholes, it seems to be what makes them exceptionally funny.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 05:13:26 PM »
That brings something to mind (usually keeping WR's threads on topic is hard because he asks weird questions you can't discuss all that much about, but oh, do I try). It's important not to be too funny. I look at most comedians, and I wouldn't want them to be my loved ones, whether they are troubled, fucked up, or just assholes, it seems to be what makes them exceptionally funny.

There's probably some truth to that, I think to get to the top in many forms of entertainment, it takes a certain type of personality. I'm not sure that type personally works for me either.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »
I had an OKC date with a comic once. He was very funny but the chemistry was meh so I never saw him again. A dude I would drink with and maybe even bone after a few but yeah, prob not long term dating material :lol

But yeah, I love Robin Williams. I drove a guy for the film fest one year who had seen him right before he died. That was an intense convo!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 07:29:23 AM »
Anyone watch "Crashing" with Pete Holmes on HBO?   I imagine that's very serialized/fictionalized, but that seems both an interesting and exhausting existence.   I'd have been into it when I was 25, not so much now that I'm... er, not 25.