Author Topic: How important is a sense of humor?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline WildRanger

How important is a sense of humor?
« on: December 26, 2019, 07:35:32 AM »
How important is a sense of humor when you're in the company of your friends or partner?
What would you say?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: How important is a sense of humor?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »
87%
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:38:25 AM »
87%

It's 83%...i just don't understand how someone with a "doctorate" in psychology could be so off on this issue.

Online Adami

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »
87%

It's 83%...i just don't understand how someone with a "doctorate" in psychology could be so off on this issue.

East Coast/West Coast thing. Sorry brah.

And don't put doctorate in quotations. Put psychology in quotations. At least my doctorate is real.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »
Extremely. There is little I dislike more than talking to someone who has no sense of humor, because it's just so tedious and stiff. Laughter is everything.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 07:59:19 AM »
87%

And don't put doctorate in quotations. Put psychology in quotations. At least my doctorate is real.

Gansta Psychology?  Throwing down 87% & 83% gang signs?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
Extremely. There is little I dislike more than talking to someone who has no sense of humor, because it's just so tedious and stiff. Laughter is everything.

Hey baby.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »
How important is a sense of humor when you're in the company of your friends or partner?
What would you say?

Just for curiosity, what kind of replies do you expect? are you genuinely curious and think this is gonna be 50 / 50 with half of the replies being "you have to be dead serious all the time and never ever make a joke or lighten up the mood"?

Of course having a sense of humor is appreciated in all social contests and circles (and you specifically wrote friends and partner, not mentioning a workplace), come on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
I am about as non politically correct as a person can be so a partner has to have the same sense of humor or its just not gonna work. My friends though have varying degrees of the same sense of humor. I see them here and there, so its easier to tone it down, but most of the time i have no filter regardless, lol.

Online Adami

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 10:27:47 AM »
What would you say?

Just for curiosity, what kind of replies do you expect? are you genuinely curious and think this is gonna be 50 / 50 with half of the replies being "you have to be dead serious all the time and never ever make a joke or lighten up the mood"?

Of course having a sense of humor is appreciated in all social contests and circles (and you specifically wrote friends and partner, not mentioning a workplace), come on.

Just for curiosity, what kind of reply do you expect? WildRanger rarely posts any replies to his own threads. He just kind of drops them and takes off for a while then drops another one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
What would you say?

Just for curiosity, what kind of reply do you expect? WildRanger rarely posts any replies to his own threads. He just kind of drops them and takes off for a while then drops another one.
this might be why people thought he hacked my account when I asked about FII and some other things. Back to topic: I don't know. I only have 1 g of humour.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 12:22:38 PM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 12:38:24 PM »
Humor is very important but has it's place.  I always found it somewhat disrespectful when well meaning people use too much humor to try to comfort a berieved person who has lost someone close in death.   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
What would you say?

Just for curiosity, what kind of reply do you expect? 

Just curious, because MirrorMask generally answers questions fairly quickly.  He also tends to be a good contributor to threads in which he has interest.  Including, presumably, this one. 

Although I wouldn't presume to expect it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »
What would you say?

Just curious, because MirrorMask generally answers questions fairly quickly.  He also tends to be a good contributor to threads in which he has interest.  Including, presumably, this one. 

Now I feel I'm stuck in a curiosity inception  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 10:55:31 PM »
87%

:lol true that, it was earned for sure.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »
Inversely Proportional to cup size?

I kid.  It is important, but too much can give diminished returns.  No woman is hot enough if she acts like Robin Williams.
There surely is a goldilox zone for sense of humor.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 12:22:00 AM »
No woman is hot enough if she acts like Robin Williams.

This man is delusional.

And it is extremely important that folks in my life have the ability to laugh at just about anything. If somebody can't handle constant old people and death jokes, they will not want to be around me for very long.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
I’m dating a comedian to answer the question.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 12:38:41 PM »
I 100% need to be with someone with a sense of humor. I can't relate to anyone who isn't funny!
I also HAVE to be funny! And I am! I'm fucking hilarious! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »
What would you say?

Just for curiosity, what kind of ...

For me, I'm personally a bit like Phoenix, in that my humor tends to go where it goes (I have a tendency to watch people on TV and blurt out "they're going to bone" when it looks like we're watching a meet-cute happening).   But I can't say that I have any standard for a sense of humor.  My wife, for example, rarely tells jokes, isn't really "funny" in that way, but she has a good understanding of humor and recognizes it when it's there.  That's really the important thing, isn't it?   Put a different way, I'm far more interested in the ability to read a room and go with the moment than I am in the comedic equivalent of Whitney Cummings. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »
I still make my wife giggle.  It's still important.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »
I think my dating profile says something along the lines of "I love laughing" and it's true.  Laughing is one of the best things in life.  I like to be surrounded by people who have a sense of humor.  If anyone knew me, they'd know I have a loud and recognizable laugh, just like my mother, and it's like the best thing ever to find something so funny you can't stop laughing.  Or even better, if you are crying from laughter. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 05:28:09 AM »
I think my dating profile says something along the lines of "I love laughing" and it's true.  Laughing is one of the best things in life.  I like to be surrounded by people who have a sense of humor.  If anyone knew me, they'd know I have a loud and recognizable laugh, just like my mother, and it's like the best thing ever to find something so funny you can't stop laughing.  Or even better, if you are crying from laughter.
I would put the rest of this in the dating profile as well  ;) something like "I love laughing, and people love to be around me when I laugh - when you hear me, you'll understand why". That's something I'd swipe right on.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 07:40:25 AM »
OoOoO  :yarr

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »

I also mentioned it in my dating profile as well. For the part about "what's the first thing people notice about you" I have: My very dry, sarcastic sense of humor. Might as well be up front about it.

If I can not make a partner laugh, then the relationship is dead on arrival.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »

This man is delusional.

Lol. Nah.
Sense of humor is a must, but if someone goes on humor diarrhea of the mouth like Robin Williams.  Yeah no thanks.  That would drive me to suicide.

Too soon?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »

This man is delusional.

Lol. Nah.
Sense of humor is a must, but if someone goes on humor diarrhea of the mouth like Robin Williams.  Yeah no thanks.  That would drive me to suicide.

Too soon?

Can you give an example of Williams' humor diarrhea? I've seen more of his serious movies than his comedies so I'm not familiar with his style. Wasn't he known as a joke thief?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »

This man is delusional.

Lol. Nah.

Too soon?

Can you give an example of Williams' humor diarrhea? I've seen more of his serious movies than his comedies so I'm not familiar with his style. Wasn't he known as a joke thief?
him portraying the Genie in Aladdin was that IMHO

Online Adami

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »

This man is delusional.

Lol. Nah.

Too soon?

First, no I've seen nothing about him being a joke thief. The dude could improvise more jokes in an hour than most comedians could write in a week. The dude was just never off. I think that's what people mean.

I knew a guy who once had dinner with Williams and he was apparently in stand up mode the whole dinner. Made his food talk and everything. I can see that being a bit exhausting for some.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 11:18:07 AM »
He had a pretty dirty mouth in his stand ups, the one I've seen was fantastic.  To each their own, but in my mind, Robin Williams was hilarious.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
I loved him too. (my favourite comedian apart from the Monty Python guys and Cleese most of all) I discovered him by way of DT actually. (another thing they've done that I'm grateful for.) Yes his stand ups were stupendous IMHO.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
First, no I've seen nothing about him being a joke thief. The dude could improvise more jokes in an hour than most comedians could write in a week. The dude was just never off. I think that's what people mean.

I knew a guy who once had dinner with Williams and he was apparently in stand up mode the whole dinner. Made his food talk and everything. I can see that being a bit exhausting for some.

I heard about it while he was still alive and I'm not even into comedians. I don't know if it's true but the accusation has been out there for years.

https://www.kempa.com/robin-williams-prince-of-thieves/

Yeah that dinner story does sound like it would be annoying.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!