Author Topic: What non-musical experiences are you most thankful in 2019?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
What non-musical experiences are you most thankful in 2019?
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »
Honestly was debating if I should create this thread all day, in the end decided to do it. So it's basically what the title says, the year is ending and now that we have time to review our actions and doings in 2019, what are the experiences you're most thankful of? Maybe something small you're proud of, or just whatever you guys want to share.

Looking back at this year, it's been a rough one but still a good one for me. I started traveling alone after my friends couldn't and couldn't do it, and it's a refreshing feeling to do stuff alone. Honestly the last two travelling vacations were my highlights of the year.

I also continued going to the concerts alone which also rocked. I didn't have to cater to anyone's tastes, if I wanted to make it to the front row, I planned accordingly, and if I wanted to watch the concerts from back there, that also wasn't a problem.

I'm very thankful for the two married couples which are my best friends - they don't read this forum obviously, but I think I'll show them this post - I'm incredibly grateful you guys are in my life, I'm incredibly grateful you included me in my life and allowed me to stay there. I'm incredibly thankful for the fact you're devoting your time to play D&D with me, I'm incredibly thankful you're listening to my book recommendations, and as at least two of you are now reading Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, I'm incredibly thankful that you're doing it and that we can discuss it. You're allowing me to live through these memories again. You're something everyone should have in their lives, you're the beacon everyone needs and I'm very grateful I'm the one to have it. Folks who think I'm expressing it here and don't let them know it in person—don't worry, I expressed these thoughts to them quite a few times. They know how much I appreciate them.

After my Ayreon vacation, I began to finally do things to improve my lifestyle and without going into details I'm feeling as good as ever, and honestly after a few years or blundering in the dark, I feel like my life is finally getting back on track. This is the first new year in a long time I'm really excited to get into.

How was your year?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: What non-musical experiences are you most thankful in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
That’s awesome Ruslan, I didn’t realize the importance of letting people close to you know how much you appreciate them until a couple years back, and it’s great you’re doing that.

As for me, this being my last day of the year in my new country before traveling home for holidays, I’m rounding up my first full calendar year in Germany. I still look back to my first week when I was really nervous to travel to a new country and build up a life without knowing the language and without knowing a single person here, it was really scary. On top of that the struggle to find a long-term stable living situation, being kind of homeless for a whole month crashing after different friends’ places moving all my stuff around the city whilst working 8 hours a day... I am absolutely most thankful for 3 of my closest friends in this entire city whom I’ve been able to find a shared apartment with where I truly feel at home. I am incredibly thankful for my co-workers giving me the opportunity to pretty much live my dream and work with some of my favorite bands in the world (sorry, a tad music related). I am even thankful for the people that left me hanging and/or made me feel like shit, I did a lot of reflecting this year because of that. I’m super thankful for my mom who is not just letting me stay at her place during the holidays, but also willing to invite 5-6 of my other friends to accommodate them so I can celebrate New Years in my hometown with all of them. This mom knows how to make her son happy man.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 12:14:40 PM »
i lost a very mediocre job, enjoyed not working over the summer, and in Sept started a much better, if not more physically exerting and stressful, job. The pay is equivalent, but it is nice to not be on a sinking ship any longer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »
My partner and just being in good health and able to live comfortably.  A lot of people have it tough so even though I've had some personal struggles having perspective and knowing I have it a lot better than a lot of people is something to be thankful for.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
I am extremely grateful for getting accepted in a Master program at TU Munich. Both our lecturers and the other about twenty students in the program are all super nice and motivated. It's actually a very humbling experience to work with them and it's mostly due to them that I already feel at home despite moving only about three months ago.
Next to that I met some truly amazing people when traveling around Europe this summer, including some members of this forum, and some other people who I've even met a few times since .:angel:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
Good for you, Home!  Congratulations.

For me, daughter graduating high school and going to her school of choice (with scholarships).   Big achievement.

My stepson getting married.

Meeting Adami.

Me fitting into my tux when my stepson got married.   

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »
I am thankful for my kids.  I don't know how I did it, but so far, all of them are great and living honorable lives.  And my oldest just got her first job!  She is beyond excited.

Also my boss at work had a bad health scare over the summer, but now he's recovering and doing well.

And my wife and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary today.  I got her a new dress and a big bouquet of flowers :).
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 04:18:42 AM »
My kids....

My son graduated from gymnasium (eq to High School I think,) with good grades and have now entered the University of his choice (KTH) where he really enjoys his time now

My daughter who is in sixth grade got her first grades and they weere much better than we had hoped for

Soo happy that both of them seem to be on the right track

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
Will read fully and post my thoughts and input later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Two awesome vacations: two week Colorado road trip and 10 days in Anaheim/Disneyland. Awesome family time. Beautiful sights.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 02:10:20 PM »
Probably the best thing of the year was the day that my daughter was selected to play the solo in her high school marching band show.

She's a sophomore, who plays flute and piccolo.  She plays mostly piccolo in marching band, but she's probably the most talented player in the 8-person flute section (2 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 2 freshmen).  The band director did auditions for the solo the same day the band did its annual show preview show on campus.  The band practiced most of the day, and I was on campus helping set things up for the preview show.  About an hour before the performance, the band was setting up for the show.  I was nearby filling up an ice chest, and I heard them doing a run through and, when they got to the solo, I recognized my daughter's playing immediately, and I really started getting teary eyed.  Such a great moment!

EDIT:  I just realized this is technically a musical experience, but....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:34:16 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
Moving to New York after years of trying.

Getting my doctorate so I can finally be Dr. Adami

Leaving North Dakota, thank Cage.

But above all else....

....meeting Stadler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »
Moving to New York after years of trying.

Leaving North Dakota, thank Cage.

But above all else....

....meeting Stadler.

Congrats
Congrats
And that’s awesome
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
My youtube channel hit 1k subscribers and 1 million total views over the summer.  I'm pretty proud of that because it's a lot of work and making these videos has truly become a passion of mine.  I know most of my original stuff isn't great, but I'm glad people stick around to check out the music I share.

I had a pretty upsetting summer being dumped by my x and it lead me into a pretty depressed state for awhile, but I'm very thankful to have the perseverance to work through it and come out better than before.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I truly feel that way, plus I am definitely physically stronger as well. 

I have a job that gives me plenty of time off including the entire month of September.  It was probably the greatest month of my life, hanging with DTFers in Atlanta for Progpower, spending a few nights on the beach in Aruba (also thankful for those free upgrades to business class and an ocean front room), and going to Las Vegas where I did a road trip to Death Valley.  I feel like my Death Valley trip relates directly to me ending my depression.  I worked so hard to be able to do that crazy vacation and while I had expected to experience all that fun with my x, I took my own detour to Death Valley and mentally buried my past there.  It was a real meaningful thing for me personally and it really helped me over come my own internal battle.  Also having a tall blonde initiate a make out session with me the night before going to Death Valley was another sign of me successfully working on myself.  There's no way that would have happened 4 months earlier.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 10:45:44 PM »

Dr. Adami, was not aware. Congrats my friend!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 06:05:17 AM »

Dr. Adami, was not aware. Congrats my friend!

Thanks!

Now I can bill all of you for speaking to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com