Author Topic: Christopher Nolan's TENET - official trailer released (12/19/19)  (Read 8192 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Christopher Nolan's TENET - official trailer released (12/19/19)
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2020, 08:01:45 AM »
Okay I loved this. I had high expectations but this movie blew them out of the water. I didn't fully understand what's going on in some moments but overall I thought this was fantastic. The movie is also cinematic as hell, Nolan really knows how to do this. The final sequence is just incredible. Man, I wish I could rewatch it right now. Recommended it to all of my IRL friends as soon as it was over.

I'll probably go see it again which is something I never usually do.

It's definitely the kind of move that needs to be re-watched multiple times if there is any hope in 'getting' the sequences involving inversion.  I'm still mind-fucked trying to piece it together.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
For sure. I think I'll take this opportunity to discover more theaters that are showing it with the original English audio. The cinema theater I usually go to is pretty far from my home, maybe I'll be able to find something closer to where I live.

I wanted to rewind back like 10 times during the movie.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2020, 08:09:42 AM »
I wanted to rewind back like 10 times during the movie.

Didn’t the movie do that for you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 02:04:35 PM »
Ok I just got home from my second viewing!!!!

[SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY]

Ok so I could follow the story a lot better second time and it was much more rewarding. I was wrong about Priya saying you should never interact with your inverted self - it was just

one of the TENET soldiers. But my point stands. Why set up that Chekovs Gun and never show it ? Did she mean basically skin on skin - since The Protagonist fought himself whilst wearing

full body armour and gloves etc... Or was The Protagonist bleeding later in the film because he interacted with himself ?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 10:17:16 PM »
I interpreted it as skin on skin interaction.

Also going to see it for the second time tomorrow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 06:10:59 AM »
Why set that up and never show it ?!  :-\

It reminds me of the first time I saw Inception and they mentioned that Limbo was completely chaotic and laws of physics didn't apply etc and I was really excited to see it

cause I imagined it to be all kinds of nightmarish like an Escher painting.

Nah. A beach and a few buildings.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »
It reminds me of the first time I saw Inception and they mentioned that Limbo was completely chaotic and laws of physics didn't apply etc and I was really excited to see it

cause I imagined it to be all kinds of nightmarish like an Escher painting.

Nah. A beach and a few buildings.

That's a good point and I remember mentioning it to my friends a few years ago too.

I'm okay with it in Tenet. Not everything has to matter, in my opinion, although it would've been nice to see it in action.

Man I'm excited to see it again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »
Nolan is one of those writers though where everything is important.

Ken Brannagh at one point even says " pay attention to all the details " pretty much directly to the audience.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
Nolan is one of those writers though where everything is important.

Ken Brannagh at one point even says " pay attention to all the details " pretty much directly to the audience.

I missed that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
Just saw it. Cool concept, but very poorly executed and very poorly explained. It was a very ambitious and thought provoking concept that ended up being convoluted.

I had barley any idea what was going on from beginning to end. The pacing was all over the place jumping rapid fire from one plot point to the next. Nothing had time to breath or develop.

Nobody I was with, including myself could understand what they hell anybody was saying. Either the dialogue was mixed low, actors were mumbling or the accents were overboard.

I like Nolan films in general, but Tenet was a mis-fire.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 07:14:11 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
I thought this was really cool and I enjoyed it :)
I could basically follow everything and caught some great details in the film as well. You really needed to keep paying attention, because there was so much going on.

The sounds (both music and FX's) were way too loud though, to the point of almost physically hurting my ears. May have been the cinema's fault, not the film's, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2020, 05:39:38 PM »
I love the track FREEPORT from the soundtrack.

In this film it's like he told Hoytema to make the cinematography a bit more like Wally Pfister and told the new composer to make a score like Hans Zimmer.

I love the score and the cinematography is great - but I would have loved Wally Pfister and Hans Zimmer :)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »
I didn't like the movie. Reminded me of Inception, but it was even worse. Also that fucking soundtrack..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
I didn't like the movie. Reminded me of Inception, but it was even worse. Also that fucking soundtrack..

Everything you said is wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »

The sounds (both music and FX's) were way too loud though, to the point of almost physically hurting my ears. May have been the cinema's fault, not the film's, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Considering that every recent Nolan film had that same complaint, I’ll assume it’s the films fault.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2020, 04:34:01 AM »
It's the only recent Nolan film I've actually seen in a cinema, so that might be it too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2020, 03:54:00 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: My Blu Ray arrived this morning !!!

I know what I'm watching tonight last night !!!!

With subtitles on as well  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »
I watched the 75 minute Making Of... Which came with the Blu Ray and all the confusing inversion set pieces like the Freeport / 747 scene and the highway chase scenes

Were all animated in Pre-Vis in advance with where each character was - and what he was doing in which time frame... SO they could make sure everything made sense.

They said almost every time they got confused about a shot - they had to consult the software as what they had in their minds didn't work out logically.

---

Also - The Actors all had to learn how to talk, walk and run backwards so that when the film was reversed - they were normal and everything else went in reverse.

Ken Brannagh even had to learn his lines backwards in a Russian accent. Method!!!

---

Finally - for the Freeport fight between two Protagonists - John David had to shoot the fight 4 times.

Once forwards - Once backwards ( as his normal self from the inverted Protagonists POV )

and twice more for the Masked up Protagonist.

Outstanding.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2020, 02:47:02 AM »
Oh, the blu-ray is out already? I need to get it. Definitely want to watch the making of documentary at least, and wouldn't mind a rewatch of the movie too. For all the hate it got on reddit, I still really liked the movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2020, 04:20:49 AM »
 ::)

Everyone clamours for an original Hollywood movie made by that one visionary director and when they get one - they hate on it.

Red Letter Media keep banging on about " We need more Hollywood movies that arent remakes or reboots written and directed by one person "

Then they refuse to see Tenet and remind everyone they've not seen it in every episode. I really don't understand the problem.

Now they're pointing and laughing at it being a "flop" when it came out in a year when nobody COULD go to see it.

Why do people hate Nolan so much ? I don't get it.

----

Anyway - I love it to bits - it MAY be my favourite Nolan movie. If not - joint first with Inception. I watched it last night and I could watch it again tonight - easily.

Also i've never seen his first big film - Insomnia ? I need to see that ASAP.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
Just watched this. Gah! My tiny brain!

Need to watch it at least a couple more times.

But I was hugely impressed. Nice to see something original and out-there.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2020, 05:28:32 AM »
It's impressive on a technical level but I enjoyed it slightly less the second time than the first. I get the Inception comparisons because it's the closest film to compare it to within Nolan's filmography but I think that one had more of an emotional core with Leo and the death of his wife, this one kinda lacks that. I like the actors in Tenet and they all give enjoyable-to-watch performances but the characters just feel really hollow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2020, 05:31:42 AM »
I've read that - but to me it's like any Bond film. Bad guy has plot. 007 has no back story to speak of. Nobody cares that floozy #45 has no gravitas.

But I love the film so much - i think it might be my fave Nolan film. At least joint 1st with Inception.

I enjoyed it way more than Interstellar too - which is weird cause the synopsis for that film made it sound like it was made exactly for me. but it wasn't quite what I hoped.

I usually love Nolan's epilogues - but the final scene of Interstellar just felt like an info dump and rushed.

Dunkirk was good but I need to see it again.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2020, 05:56:21 AM »
I think the Bond comparisons are fair and if that's what we are measuring Tenet against, I do agree it stacks up pretty good and is as good as any of the recent Bond films (if not slightly better than most of them). But yeah overall in his filmography it doesn't match Memento, Inception or The Prestige for me. I think I would also put Batman Begins and The Dark Knight above it. Dunkirk seems to be the one people 'forgot' the fastest but I think it's actually pretty solid. It's one of his shorter films and it doesn't drag and even though I don't care for war movies that much, Dunkirk was one of the better ones I've seen in recent years. I'd put Tenet above Following and The Dark Knight Rises (which has some great stuff but is just very long and bloated). Insomnia is one I need to revisit because it's been years but from what I remember that one is great and would be higher, and the only one that's left is Interstellar which similar to Tenet has some amazing stuff but also drags in parts.

One disappointing thing with Tenet just for my own enjoyment is that I did not enjoy the final big setpiece at all. Random 'village' out in the desert with kinda generic shootout and it just did not stack up at all to the highway chase, the airport sequence or the concert hall at the start. I would say even The Dark Knight Rises had a stronger third act for me. But yeah Tenet was still a pretty solid 7.5 or 8 out of 10 for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2020, 05:58:49 AM »
I think Chris definitely lost something when he parted with Wally Pfister. Tenet has really great cinematography but Interstellar and Dunkirk were kinda bland looking.

---

One thing he does which I like is when 2 characters are talking and one of them asks a question and then it cuts to them in a different location carrying on the same conversation

- but getting the answer. It's completely un-realistic for real life but works so well in a film to keep the pacing and momentum going.

Like in Interstellar - Caine asks Coop if " he noticed anything about the shape of the building ? " then cut to them outside looking at the building etc...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 04:54:42 PM »
Saw it and I liked it. I think I got a good grasp at the film and don't need a rewatch or anything. His other high-concept films tend to focus more on laying out the rules and explaning matters, but I wasn't lost or anything. Contrary to many Nolan critics though, I tend to enjoy exposition if it is done well and shows a well thought out world.

Anyways, the actors were great, the film looked great, the soundtrack was ace and I enjoyed the plot.  And I definitely got a bit of a Bond feeling. Pacing was a bit off and I did not care a lot for some of the personal stories (perhaps due to the pacing). But overall a good film for sure.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2021, 07:36:24 AM »
Saw it. It was nice but it felt waaaay too complicated.... is Nolan too overachiever, the equivalent of a needlesly complicated prog wanker, or am I too dumb to understand his movies?  ;D

I mean, if you watch Inception once, maybe you don't grasp all the fine details to the point that you can host a lecture about the movie, but you get it. Maybe further viewings smooth some things and help you understand details even better,  but you get what Inception is about and how the dream world works.

With Tenet I had to give up halfway through and by the final battle I was just along for the ride, I feel that the entire first watching is just a rehearsal for watching it again.

Fun fact since I'm too way behind Nolan to offer big insights on the movie.... when they needed to cast Kat, they probably thought "we need someone to play a trophy wife with a heart of gold and stuck in a loveless marriage to a rich criminal asshole because of the son, who should we get?" - and then they watched The Night Manager and cast an actress that in that show plays a trophy wife with a heart of gold and stuck in a loveless marriage to a rich criminal asshole because of the son  ;D she's seriously the same character, and now she's gonna play Diana in The Crown which isn't really the same thing, but close enough  :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:11:08 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »
It took about five or six viewings of TENET before I understood it all.

Here's how I visualise reverse ammo in my head

TIME MOVING FORWARDS

You shoot a bullet into a wall - - - - - > The bullet will "always be there" - until removed or the hole is fixed...

TIME MOVING BACKWARDS

The bullet hole in the wall has 'always just been there' - - - - - - - - - >  until someone shoots the bullet into the wall going forwards.

To someone who is inverted - the bullet hole will just always be there and always will until un-fired into a gun. I don't think that the bullet hole just appears as soon as the ammo is

inverted but i've not thought about it that much.

Also - at the opera - when Neil runs past The Protagonist and un-shoots a bullet into a gun. The only way I can rationalise this in my head is - if he ran past Protagonist,

fired the gun intending to shoot the bullet through the SWAT guy into the wall - but since the ammo and probably gun too - were both inverted - IT APPEARED to run backwards

to US. ( Neil was not inverted in that scene as after that - he runs down the stairs forwards, not backwards ).

:)

Finally - the interrogation scene at Freeport in Tallinn - it confused me for AGES - how - you see Sator invert and leave the Freeport with Kat - but then TENET show up and Kat is still in there.

Then I realised that when Sator is about to shoot the Prot - TENET burst in and Sator escapes a few seconds into the past. So from TENETs POV he vanishes as theyre still moving forwards.

Sator emereges a few seconds into the past on the blue side and interrogates ( a now backwards Protagonist ) - BUT - because Kat herself was NOT inverted.. She is STILL IN THAT ROOM

in the present - for TENET to rescue. :)

I might watch it again as I didn't fully realise that literally after Protagonist inverts and causes the car crash he witnesses on the Freeway - the film then goes backwards all the way

to Sators yacht in Vietnam - which happens the exact same time as the battle at Stalsk 12 ( which Michael Caine tells Prot about in the beginning ) AND the Opera siege.

So the film starts and ends at the same place.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:14:36 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2022, 05:36:20 PM »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2023, 02:37:35 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com