Poll

Summer vs. Winter?

summer
21 (53.8%)
winter
18 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Summer vs. Winter?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Summer vs. Winter?
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2019, 02:49:10 AM »
You can always dress warmer, but there's only so naked you can get.

This. Nice summer days are nice, and so are cozy winter days. But when it sucks, and when it's so hot or so cold, you can fight the cold better. Also, when you come home, your fight with cold is over - you're home, the cold won't bite you anymore. When you come home in the summer, your fight with heat has just begun, unless you turn on the AC with all the expenses of energy and money that go with it.

These days I don't have any particular problems to walk from work to the subway, but in the summer I had to bring along with me a bottle of tap water from the office so that I could wet my arms and stay a bit fresher, a hat was mandatory and some times I even actually used an umbrella. Heck, the road that leads to the subway from work borders a high speed broad lane, and on the other side there's shadow, so I often crossed the ample lanes to reach the other side when there wasn't the scorching sun. Yes, summer makes me consider acceptable the risk of being run over by cars speeding at 70 KM/h just to be able to walk in the shade rather than under the sun.

Summer is good for open air festivals, more hours of sunlight for travelling, and seeing more skin of pretty women. For the rest, give me not winter, but autumn!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2019, 04:04:06 AM »
These days I don't have any particular problems to walk from work to the subway, but in the summer I had to bring along with me a bottle of tap water from the office so that I could wet my arms and stay a bit fresher, a hat was mandatory and some times I even actually used an umbrella.
Ah, a fellow sufferer from southern Europe. I have to get to a friend's wedding in August and I'm already dreading all of it starting from the car ride from the airport. In my family's apartment we only have one AC and it's not good to have it on all the time anyway.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2019, 08:11:53 AM »
Winter is my preference. I spent 90% of my life in florida and I always wanted to live in a climate that had some sort of winter. I moved to Charlotte, NC a little over 3 years ago and everyone said I'd get tired of the cold. Well I haven't, I wish itd get colder and snow more. Summer is especially miserable in Charlotte because it hotter than florida and there is less to do without a beach close by

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »
Summer by a mile.... but then I live in Stockholm, Sweden where summer days are usually around 15 to 25 degrees Celsius and very rarely reach 30 degrees. The days are longer and the summer nights are beatifully blue.

Been in the south of europe during heat waves of up to 47 degrees in which case I might reconsider.

Winter has to me a lot going against it. Dark and cold, too much clothing and you need spiked tires on the bike to get to work... espescially when it gets down to -20 to -25 degrees... fine, a winterday with -3, sunshine and no wind is really nice but very seldome found.

Autumn would be fine if it didn't rain all the time....

No give me spring.... nice weather and a fresh environment with lish greens and blooming flowers

Offline Harmony

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
Both suck.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I like fall.

Screw your 2-only option poll.   ;)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 10:36:04 PM »
Winter. Summer is my least favorite season. I like the early nightfall, the snow, the cold (I hate sweating, and I can only take off so many clothes before Johnny Law has a problem with it), and the serenity of the really quiet nights especially when it's snowing. Summer fatigues me and as a result I'm always in a foul mood; winter invigorates me and I'm happier in the cold months.
I went down to grab the garbage cans the other night and had to stop at the end of the driveway to just bask in how quiet it was. The streets are caked with snow, trees barren with snow covered branches, Christmas lights. It was really peaceful and I have that moment almost every winter where I think back to summer and the frogs are croaking in the woods behind my house, the crickets, leaves rustling, etc. That's not happening right now. It's so damn quiet right now.

I'm a fall/winter guy. Don't like high temperatures, sleep better when it's cold. I also just like the coziness of winter here in Minnesota.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2019, 05:40:27 AM »
Summer easily.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
Autumn by far is my favorite season. The maturation of all that is summer, into the slow decay of change. While the crispness in the air speaks of a foreboding in the distance of the isolated, desolation of winter that lies it seems, just over the horizon.

If I had to choose just one, it would be summer. In summer, you wear shorts; there's baseball to be played and enjoyed; outdoor concerts; grilling steaks; eating ice cream on a park bench with the one you love; growing and eating fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden; sharing cocktails by the fire pit with friends; pouring from a pitcher of sun tea on the patio; watching the acrobatic miracles of hummingbirds at the feeders; and bees gathering pollen and nectar from the plants outside.

I used to love winter, and in many respects I still do. I feel I get a lot more of my writing inspiration and ideas in the winter. And perhaps it may have something to do with my Viking, and Celtic DNA, but outdoors, cold weather doesn't really faze me. While others around bundle up, and bemoan the mercury, I can generally get by with a light jacket. But that's outdoors.

As I've gotten older, when I'm indoors, I freeze to death. I feel every real or imagined icy draft that seems to creep inside. In winter we get hot cocoa; homemade soups; scotch whisky by a roaring fire; egg nog; holidays spent entertaining good friends; the smell of pine; and the silence that comes during a heavy snow.

But, it's also cold and flu season; more layers of bulky clothes to wear; wet boots; chapped lips; icy roads; and dry, itchy, ashy skin.

When is opening day again?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2019, 02:21:25 PM »
Which season do you prefer and why?

Fall. Because it's not summer or winter.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
SUMMER X 10000000000!

I'll take sunny all year long, and the hotter the better for me.  I went to eastern CA one day, got out of the car and it was 119.  Didn't bother me a bit.  I despise cold, fog, and rain. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.