Poll

Summer vs. Winter?

summer
21 (53.8%)
winter
18 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Summer vs. Winter?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline WildRanger

Summer vs. Winter?
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
Which season do you prefer and why?

For me it's winter all the way. I can't stand high temperatures in summer. And I'm generally fine with cold weather in winter, unless there are very cold winds.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Summer vs. Winter?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »
Winter. Summer is my least favorite season. I like the early nightfall, the snow, the cold (I hate sweating, and I can only take off so many clothes before Johnny Law has a problem with it), and the serenity of the really quiet nights especially when it's snowing. Summer fatigues me and as a result I'm always in a foul mood; winter invigorates me and I'm happier in the cold months.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
Both suck.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:13:39 AM »
Winter - easily.

I often tell folks that I'd be perfectly happy if the temperature never rose above 70 degrees, and live in an area where the most severe winter weather we get is a lot of rain, so it's not like I have to deal with blizzards and shoveling snow.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:32:01 AM »
Winter - easily.

I often tell folks that I'd be perfectly happy if the temperature never rose above 70 degrees, and live in an area where the most severe winter weather we get is a lot of rain, so it's not like I have to deal with blizzards and shoveling snow.

I would be curious to know if there is a correlation to where people live and their favorite season. I live in NY and today's high temperature is 25. I would take this any day of the week over 100 degree weather.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »
I would be curious to know if there is a correlation to where people live and their favorite season. I live in NY and today's high temperature is 25. I would take this any day of the week over 100 degree weather.

Hell yes!  It's been in the low 40s here this week, and a friend walked into my office and said, "now, this is too cold, right?"  I said hell no.  He's a guy who'd be happy if it never dropped under 80, which is pretty much my idea of hell.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
Initially I would say Winter but where I live there's no such thing as snow anymore.  :-\ Only rain and more rain.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »
As someone who has lived in both the Middle East and the coldest city in continental USA, I can safely say they both suck. Sticking with that. Give me a great 60-75 degree Fall any day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
You can always dress warmer, but there's only so naked you can get.
Winter is cheaper. I can sleep at 63° for free. Even a sweltering 76° requires running the AC all night in the Summer.
I like the night better than the day.
Winter has the better holidays.
Winter has the better Olympics.
You don't get to call into work because it's too hot out. Getting a snow day and doing a wake and bake with a bong packed full of snow is one of life's great pleasures.
BMWs love cold air and hate hot air.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »
Um, there's two other seasons...

And I'll go with one of those... Fall. Temperatures are just right here, rainy season hasn't quite kicked in, and the low and slow fall cuisine kicks the crap out of any other season's

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
Winter is cheaper. I can sleep at 63° for free. Even a sweltering 76° requires running the AC all night in the Summer.

Man I forgot to list this as well. Spot on. I hate running the AC so much in the summer but I'm miserable otherwise. Thankfully heat is way cheaper.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »
Fall is the correct answer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
I'm in Russia. It's December 19th. We have +5°C and no snow whatsoever. What the fuck weather, I want -10°C and heaps of snow, come on.

Needless to say, I voted winter. Love winter when it's really winter, not a weakass copy of late autumn we're having now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »
Summer, easily.  More daylight.  Warmer temps.  SO much easier to be outside doing more of the things we love to do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »
Summer, easily.  More daylight.  Warmer temps.  SO much easier to be outside doing more of the things we love to do.

Not where you live... Summer fucking sucks there... Dry ass and a bazillion degrees every day. Oh hell no.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
Summer by far for me. Too cold and snowy in Minnesota in the winter for me to do the stuff I want to do outside. And it's depressingly dark for too much.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
Let's face it, for many people the answer is probably "the opposite of what it is now". Each season has its wonders, and I think each season lasts long enough that we appreciate the change when it comes.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
Let's face it, for many people the answer is probably "the opposite of what it is now". Each season has its wonders, and I think each season lasts long enough that we appreciate the change when it comes.
I was leaning towards "the opposite of what we have the most." It's not surprising that the guy from Minnesota prefers Summer and the guy from Texas prefers Winter. The people in the temperate climes all duck the question and go with Spring or Fall.  :lol

Personally, I'm not sure my answer would change if I lived in, say, Colorado. I'd still like snow, fires, and dark evenings. That said, I can't rule out that it's just 49 years of conditioning that makes it so.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
I chose summer largely due to there's more that you can 'do' during the summer. I dig the winter months.....find them peaceful and I prefer the cold rather than being hot....but, there just isn't all that much to do. Plus, the things you can do usually cost money whereas in the summer there is a TON of free things you can find to do with the family.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 01:57:01 PM »
Winter.  Summer over here sucks and winter isn't even cold, it's just beautiful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »

Summer is a blight upon humanity and I want its removal from the seasonal cycle

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
just the temperature alone makes me enjoy winter more than summer. That doesn’t even take into account how annoying other people get, specially around my neighborhood.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »
Winter cause I live in Phx AZ.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »
Summer. More daylight above and beyond any other reason. Plus I'm being asked this question on a day its 2 degrees with the windchill.
But if I had to rank the seasons....
1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Summer
4. Winter
5. Gorsun (fictional season I just made up because I didn't want Winter to come in last)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
Summer, both because of the amount of daylight and the fact that I hate cold. Throughout the years I've realized that I tend to be down and less active during the Winter but full of energy and otherwise happier during the summer. It bothers me when it's super hot and I sweat, but I still take that over having to go out wrapped in as much clothing as possible just to avoid suffering.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »

Summer is a blight upon humanity and I want its removal from the seasonal cycle

Holy crap!  We agree on something.   :biggrin:

And while I get the sentiment that there's more to do in the summer, the reality is that it's too damn hot to do most of those things.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
Summer EASILY.   The only thing cool about winter is when we get a really great snowstorm that shuts down the entire city.   LOVE those days.    But living in the northwest, the daylight hours are way too short, and it wears on you.   I go to work when it's dark and I come home in the dark.   Nov-Feb is hell on my seasonal depression. 

But I wouldn't give up the long days of sunshine.   In the dead of summer, the sun is up for 16 hrs.  And the temps almost never go above 100.   And the high 80s-low 90s is my jam.   Everyone else in the northwest bitches up a storm when it gets above 85, but I *LOVE* it.   If it starts getting into the upper 90s, I will admit that is a bit much.   But that's pretty rare.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 05:44:57 PM »
Fuck winter

I want to be out riding my motorcycle, hiking and surfing. I want to look at lush trees and plants, not this dead world. I want sunlight ALL day long, not the sun setting at 4pm  :P

More summer please

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
Summer ain't great (all of those bugs and flying whatnots that can sting you are everywhere :lol), but winter is the worst.  I hate cold weather.  HATE.   Your car takes 10 minutes to get warm, you are still cold as hell when you come inside from the cold, driving in the snow sucks big time, and I hate leaving work at 5 pm when it is pitch black already.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2019, 06:06:07 PM »
The correct answer is indeed fall, but I prefer winter over summer for sure. I like cold and snow (just not driving in it). I hate heat and the sun here in Denver is so brutal, though at least we don't have much humidity. Growing up in humid-ass NJ summers were the WORST. I do like all my comfy summer clothes, but I hate sweating and HATE sleeping when it's hot. Winters in Denver are ALL over the place which is kinda fun- it may drop 30-40 degrees in one day. We've gone from 60s to snowstorm very quickly, and normally the snow doesn't stay around too long. You never know what's gonna happen. Keeps things fresh and exciting :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »
Winter. Summer is my least favorite season. I like the early nightfall, the snow, the cold (I hate sweating, and I can only take off so many clothes before Johnny Law has a problem with it), and the serenity of the really quiet nights especially when it's snowing. Summer fatigues me and as a result I'm always in a foul mood; winter invigorates me and I'm happier in the cold months.
Dude, are you me? Are you my long lost twin? You hit the head on the nail so firmly it came out the other side.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
The correct answer is indeed fall

Ahh, my people  :heart

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
The correct answer is indeed fall

Ahh, my people  :heart

:heart :-*

The best part is we get all the seasons in fall here. It starts out hot, then starts to get cool, the leaves start changing and it's all pretty, and then we usually get some kind of blizzard before November even hits :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2019, 01:45:21 AM »
Now that I live in a place where it's rainy and mild all summer long, I can go with summer over winter. But summer as a concept sucks. Grew up with SWELTERING summers and there is nothing I hate more. Hate wearing sandals, both in the city and in resorts, hate sunscreen, hate not being able to have my hair down without it sticking to my forehead, hate the mosquitoes, hate the improper use of air conditioners, hate the widespread elation that "it's summer now yaaaaay". It's nice to wear a sundress, and I feel bad for guys who have to wear pants to work (y'all should just rebel and start wearing maxi skirts, they are pretty neat), but every time I have to put a bra on when it's 35-40 degrees outside (that's 95 to 104 in freedom units), I die a little bit, and that happens basically all the time.

Winter has its faults too. I slip and slide on ice a lot, and people in Norway (or, well, in my neighborhood and around the path I use to get to my tram station) are pretty content to leave the ice untouched around the general walkways. Put some salt on that thing for the love of Christ. If you have to drive, I imagine it sucks too, and shoveling snow won't be fun if I move into my own house (right now it's my landlord's responsibility). The darkness is really getting to me as well, and I don't live that far up north, the sun gets up at around 10 and sets around 3 in the afternoon. Can't imagine having even less. But I'll take that over living in a place that has summers.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:12:56 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2019, 02:07:04 AM »
Winter. I'm not a fan of the high temperatures in the summer. But autumn is my favourite of them all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.