Author Topic: Symphony X 25th Anniversary 2020 North American Tour w/ Firewind and Primal Fear  (Read 2692 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

General admission tickets are now available for purchase at https://bnds.us/zwnq7z

and EntertheVault.com

Confirmed dates for the SYMPHONY X “25th Anniversary North American Tour” with Primal Fear and Firewind are:
May 14 – Englewood, NJ – Bergen Performing Arts Center
May 15 – Worcester, MA – The Palladium (MA)
May 16 – Wantagh, NY – Mulcahy’s
May 17 – Philadelphia, PA – Theatre Of Living Arts
May 18 – Montreal, QUE – Cafe Campus
May 20 – Quebec City, QUE – Imperial
May 21 – Toronto, ON – Opera House
May 22 – Westland, MI – Token Lounge
May 23 – Joliet, IL – The Forge
May 24 – Cleveland, OH – Agora Ballroom
May 26 – Milwaukee, WI – Turner Hall
May 27 – Minneapolis, MN – The Cabooze
May 29 – Edmonton, AB – The Starlite Room
May 31 – Vancouver, BC – The Venue
Jun 1 – Seattle, WA – El Corazon
Jun 2 – Portland, OR – Hawthorne Theatre
Jun 3 – San Francisco, CA – Slims
Jun 5 – Anaheim, CA – City National Grove
Jun 6 – West Hollywood, CA – Whisky a Go Go
Jun 7 – MESA, AZ – Club Red
Jun 8 – Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater
Jun 10 – Dallas, TX – Canton Hall
Jun 11 – Austin, TX – Come and Take It Live
Jun 12 – San Antonio, TX – Aztec Theater
Jun 13 – Houston, TX – House of Blues
Jun 15 – West Palm Beach, FL – Kelsey Theater
Jun 16 – Tampa, FL – The Ritz
Jun 17 – Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade

http://www.symphonyx.com/site/news/symphony-x-announce-25th-anniversary-north-american-tour-with-primal-fear-and-firewind/

Just bought my ticket for the Joliet show. It's on a Saturday, hooray!! $25 tickets (at least, for me), it's a steal, folks.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:21:11 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Symphony X North American 2020 tour w/ Firewind and Primal Fear
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
Wow, I see this as Symphony X is currently playing on my Pandora.

AND they're playing not terribly far from me...AND it's on a Saturday.....AND I don't care at all about Primal Fear and Firewind.

That last part is less important.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X North American 2020 tour w/ Firewind and Primal Fear
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:19:55 AM »
Wow, I see this as Symphony X is currently playing on my Pandora.

AND they're playing not terribly far from me...AND it's on a Saturday.....AND I don't care at all about Primal Fear and Firewind.

That last part is less important.

:lol I used to be into all three of these groups, but now I'm just kind of 'whatever' on them. That said, this is a pretty nice bill for my tastes so I'm still excited to watch them all. I saw Primal Fear in 2016. Honestly, they're a super fun, really tight metal band live although most of their songs are very similar (I like their album Rulebreaker the most, personally). Ralf Scheepers is a monstrous singer on stage. Never seen SX and never seen Firewind with the one singer I really liked (Chity Somapala) so I can't speak about their presence.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Well, I might have to consider this. SymX in Joliet on a Saturday. I only saw them once on the inaugural Gigantour. They played for like 45 minutes, tops. I'll keep this in mind.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
The Joliet show is very tempting, since it's on a Saturday - I'd love to see all three bands, and I've been really into Primal Fear lately.  I'd rather go to Milwaukee, but I'd have to take the following day off since it's a weeknight.  We'll see how this pans out for me.

Offline MirrorMask

25 dollars is a steal indeed, and Primal Fear and Firewind are good enough to be enjoyed live even though you don't care anymore for their albums. Go for it everyone who can!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, I might have to consider this. SymX in Joliet on a Saturday. I only saw them once on the inaugural Gigantour. They played for like 45 minutes, tops. I'll keep this in mind.

The Joliet show is very tempting, since it's on a Saturday - I'd love to see all three bands, and I've been really into Primal Fear lately.  I'd rather go to Milwaukee, but I'd have to take the following day off since it's a weeknight.  We'll see how this pans out for me.

It would be awesome if you two showed up! I already have several buddies attending the Joliet show so this could be a really fun night :2metal:

25 dollars is a steal indeed, and Primal Fear and Firewind are good enough to be enjoyed live even though you don't care anymore for their albums. Go for it everyone who can!

:metardica:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I never cared for what I heard from SX, and don't think I know any of Firewind and Primal Fear, but that first show in NJ is close to work on a Thursday night, I could totally swing by and check this out.  I'll see as it gets closer, but I'm putting this in my radar.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm lukewarm on both SX and Firewind and I like Primal Fear, but if this came anywhere close to my city, I'd go in a heartbeat.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I'd love to see this. I love both SX and Firewind, and have seen neither. The problem though, is the Mrs. is also a big fan of both. And while she's seen Firewind before, this gig is going to be a coin flip on who can go (we have a child, and our show is midweek). What a great bill though. Just amazing package for not a lot of cash.

EDIT - won the coin flip. I'm in. Can't wait!  :metal
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:20:10 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
YES!!!!!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, especially for the price, this is a crazy good bill. North America gets a nice bone thrown its way once in a while.  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

Will definitely catch them in Seattle,  even the the venue they're playing is sub-par..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm all over this like a cougar on a wounded chicken.  S-X is A-list for me, as is Primal Fear.  Firewind I'd put right near the top of the B-list.  I'm actually considering driving down to Philly if Nick is going to see them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

We got there to our seats when they started. They were on the side stage. Me and my cousin just listened in our seats while waiting for Nevermore to start on the Main Stage after.

So excited i get to finally see them. Hope they play The Grand Design or better yet A Fools Paradise.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

I just hope their set isn't 90% stuff from the last 3 albums, but I feel like it will be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

I just hope their set isn't 90% stuff from the last 3 albums, but I feel like it will be.

Well, maybe if they won't have a new album to tour behind they'll do a more carrer-spanning setlist (since they'll celebrate a quarter of century with Russell anyway), I didn't have the chance to see them lately so I was just checking randomly Setlist.fm from time to time, but my impression for their latest tours is that their approach to create the setlist was "Play almost the whole new album in order, toss in Inferno somewhere, and then, dunno, some Paradise Lost songs will do as encore".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Personally, I don't much care, since I cannot make the date that is near me.  But if I were going, this would be just fine with me:
...their approach to create the setlist was "Play almost the whole new album in order, toss in Inferno somewhere, and then, dunno, some Paradise Lost songs will do as encore".
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I friggin hope so. Sorry to the fans but imo most everything before PL just... sucks. And blows. It's the TAC Twofer.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I friggin hope so. Sorry to the fans but imo most everything before PL just... sucks. And blows. It's the TAC Twofer.

Sometimes you are just so back asswards.  Underworld is fantabulous, but PL and Iconoclast are mediocre at best.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

It'd be neat to also hear Divine Wings of Tragedy.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Sometimes you are just so back asswards.

:rollin

Underworld is fantabulous, but PL and Iconoclast are mediocre at best.

That's a funny shorthand for "Symphony X's first 6 albums."  :lol

Online Adami

It's not their stuff after Oddysey is bad, but live it just comes off as SO samey. A lot of the beats/riffs/vocals sound very very similar, especially if you strip away the studio production.

I'm big Iced Earth fan and I remember seeing them once and realizing that if I wasn't a huge fan, this would feel like one 90 minute long song. I guess I'm not SO huge on the past few albums (though the last one was very good) that I'd be able to immediately appreciate each song individually. It'll sound like 90 minutes of chug chug harmonic shred and gurgle vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

It's not their stuff after Oddysey is bad, but live it just comes off as SO samey. A lot of the beats/riffs/vocals sound very very similar, especially if you strip away the studio production.

I'm big Iced Earth fan and I remember seeing them once and realizing that if I wasn't a huge fan, this would feel like one 90 minute long song. I guess I'm not SO huge on the past few albums (though the last one was very good) that I'd be able to immediately appreciate each song individually. It'll sound like 90 minutes of chug chug harmonic shred and gurgle vocals.

Their older stuff is more diverse. Which leads to a good setlist.

Honestly from Paradise Lost to Underworld, they went more Chugga Chugga Metal, and while good, is samey live (from the vids I've seen). So doing a 25th anniversary, it'd be neat to hear more of the older songs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
See that old stuff is too much for me. The transitions between song sections don't feel natural to me, like all their songs are just a bunch of sections loosely patchworked together (this pleased me when Lost In Vegas reacted to some of their stuff and felt the same way), and Russ's singing is too over-the-top corny for me. I actually like what he does on the more recent Symphony X records more than the old stuff, and a lot more than Adrenaline Mob. It's not like the lyrics have changed much, he's still singing about the same old cornball nonsense, robots, demons, other worlds, oh my! but he's just got a tougher grit. I like Romeo's riffs a lot more over the last few records too. The production is also better and the drums and guitars all have this thick punch to them that make the records sound so much more metal. Gotta speak up for the less represented opinions.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

See that old stuff is too much for me. The transitions between song sections don't feel natural to me, like all their songs are just a bunch of sections loosely patchworked together (this pleased me when Lost In Vegas reacted to some of their stuff and felt the same way), and Russ's singing is too over-the-top corny for me. I actually like what he does on the more recent Symphony X records more than the old stuff, and a lot more than Adrenaline Mob. It's not like the lyrics have changed much, he's still singing about the same old cornball nonsense, robots, demons, other worlds, oh my! but he's just got a tougher grit. I like Romeo's riffs a lot more over the last few records too. The production is also better and the drums and guitars all have this thick punch to them that make the records sound so much more metal. Gotta speak up for the less represented opinions.  :lol

Oddly coincidentally I was just reading this...

"Symphony X's 1998 album Twilight in Olympus was released without a title track; instead, the unfinished compositions from those sessions were later re-worked and distributed in fragments throughout V, particularly on the final track, "Rediscovery (Part II) - The New Mythology". Guitarist Michael Romeo has since confirmed this: "About half of ['Rediscovery (Part II)'] is the song 'Twilight in Olympus', maybe a little more"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Their older stuff is more diverse. Which leads to a good setlist.

Honestly from Paradise Lost to Underworld, they went more Chugga Chugga Metal, and while good, is samey live (from the vids I've seen). So doing a 25th anniversary, it'd be neat to hear more of the older songs.

Nailed it!

Gotta speak up for the less represented opinions.  :lol

That's your torch to bear on a few different threads, eh?  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Those 3 bands together is almost worth me flying to America.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

Count me in the camp of those who felt the diversity up until The Odyssey, which was the bridge between the past, with each album relatively diverse from the other, and the beginning of the "chugga chugga metal" as it been aptly named. It's still good quality music, sometimes I liked it more (Paradise Lost, Underworld) and sometimes less (Iconoclast.... gah, that was too much of everything), but I think we all can take a wild guess at how the next album will sound like. Back with the earlier albums you couldn't have predicted what was coming next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's your torch to bear on a few different threads, eh?  :biggrin:

It is not a glamorous life, but it is my life  :biggrin:

I think the riff to Iconoclast (title track) is Romeo's finest creation. That's one of the greatest metal riffs of all time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

The Worcester show is on a Friday night. Come to Boston!! NYC is a 4 hour drive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online geeeemo

My last "have to" see concert!  :o   Heading to Vancouver..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

You could follow them around the continent.  Make a whole trip/vacation out of it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

You could follow them around the continent.  Make a whole trip/vacation out of it.

That's Lethean's thing, not Kade's.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds so tempting guys.  Would fucking just love to pack up and go.  Maybe this is the thing that will make me quit.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.