Author Topic: The "I can't believe this 'hit" was so popular" Song of the Day thread  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The "I can't believe this 'hit" was so popular" Song of the Day thread
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2019, 04:39:27 AM »
this song is terrifying as hell to full combo in guitar hero because the hardest parts are smack in the middle and right at the end

and it's 14 minutes

that's my experience with this song. they put it in guitar hero

I can confirm.

I didn’t even know this was such a big hit. But then again I wasn’t born back then  :laugh:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2019, 05:37:50 AM »
MTV played the hell out of it. It was their 1st video so it got a ton of airplay. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2019, 06:36:04 AM »
Is there another classic rock song where the live version is the default version such that the studio version has become an inconsequential afterthought?

Yes, the other two hits from Frampton Comes Alive: "Baby, I Love Your Way" and "Show Me The Way".  Once in a while some radio station will play the studio version, but it's the live versions of these songs that everyone knows.

"Do You Feel Like We Do?" -- the live version -- has one of my favorite guitar solos of all time.  That solo at the end is incredible.  I can understand why people get a bit bored in the middle.  I don't, but for non-musicians it does seem to go on for a while as Peter plays with the Talkbox, but what the hell.  It's live.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2019, 06:49:50 AM »
Great, great song, mesmerizing live guitar tone, and a classic performance.

I'm not the least bit surprised it was a hit in the '70s. Rock radio (who frequently were influenced by and followed the lead of college radio) was way different and much more experimental than radio today. DJ's could essentially play whatever they wanted to as long as they didn't piss off the program director. When the long version became popular on FM album rock stations, the AM pop stations were quick to pick up the shorter edit. Just different times.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2019, 07:01:45 AM »
Is there another classic rock song where the live version is the default version such that the studio version has become an inconsequential afterthought?

Yes, the other two hits from Frampton Comes Alive: "Baby, I Love Your Way" and "Show Me The Way".  Once in a while some radio station will play the studio version, but it's the live versions of these songs that everyone knows.

Turn the Page by Bob Seger comes to mind as well.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
Molly Hatchett - Flirting With Disaster.  The vocals are just cringeworthy to me on that song.  :lol
Lenny Kravits - I Want to Get Away.  annoying and repetitive chorus.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »
Is there another classic rock song where the live version is the default version such that the studio version has become an inconsequential afterthought? Amazing song that I loved from the first listen and will never change the channel if I hear it come on rotation.

I cannot comment on it in the context of this thread.

"I Want You to Want Me" by Cheap Trick
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
 We could start a whole thread about "live versions that are better than studio versions".  Passage to Bangkok by Rush, the live version from Exit Stage Left blows the studio version out of the water.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
We could start a whole thread about "live versions that are better than studio versions".  Passage to Bangkok by Rush, the live version from Exit Stage Left blows the studio version out of the water.
I'm sure someone will :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »
Yeah, let’s not derail this thread, please. :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Sorry for the derailment, it was just the first thing that came to mind when I thought of that song.

And I am honestly a little amazed it is 14+ on Comes Alive. It never felt that long to me, even before I really got in bands who traditionally wrote longer songs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »
Is there another classic rock song where the live version is the default version such that the studio version has become an inconsequential afterthought? Amazing song that I loved from the first listen and will never change the channel if I hear it come on rotation.

I cannot comment on it in the context of this thread.

"I Want You to Want Me" by Cheap Trick

This, with "Rock And Roll All Nite" a distant second. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2019, 06:36:27 PM »
Today's Song of the Day is...

Run-DMC with Aerosmith - Walk This Way

In 1986, it was pretty unheard of to combine rap and rock, especially when that song had already been a big rock hit a decade earlier, but Walk This Way broke the barrier and became a monster hit.  It's success was surprising when you consider how segregated music fans were in the 80's. Would rock fans approve of a classic rock being transformed into a rap song? Would rap fans like a rap act covering a rock song?  The answer to both questions was a resounding yes, and the song was a major success.  This song was actually my introduction to both Run-DMC and Aerosmith, and to me it was just a good song by two bands that seemed quite different from one another.  I can't say I ever listen to this version anymore, but I enjoyed it a lot back in '86.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »
I'm not surprised at all that the song made it big. It combined two generations of music, what was just recently big but fading, and what was becoming huge. It made perfect sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 07:38:47 AM »
I hated this.  It's not about "genre", though I'm not a huge rap guy (I do like Run DMC, though).  I just don't like that sound, that cadence that most rap-rock has.    I didn't like it when Anthrax did it, I friggin' hated Limp Bizkit, and don't like it now when bands do that (I'm thinking of Imagine Dragons).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
It was okay but I always thought that the original Walk This Way had so much more groove.

I didn't like it when Anthrax did it, I friggin' hated Limp Bizkit

What Anthrax did was good imo  :metal :metal :metal, Limp Bizkit were just wannabes and posers.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
I hated this.  It's not about "genre", though I'm not a huge rap guy (I do like Run DMC, though).  I just don't like that sound, that cadence that most rap-rock has.    I didn't like it when Anthrax did it, I friggin' hated Limp Bizkit, and don't like it now when bands do that (I'm thinking of Imagine Dragons).

I'm pretty much right with you on this (although, if I've ever heard a Limp Bizkit song, I wouldn't know it, and the only Imagine Dragons song I know for sure I've heard wouldn't be described as "rap-rock").  The Run DMC/Aerosmith thing was god-awful, but it did make sense and, while I hated it, I can understand why it was popular.

Anthrax's "I'm the Man" was amusing at first, but it got old pretty quickly, although it does hold some nostalgia value for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »
I'm The Man is really just a joke song. It is what it is.

While I've never really gotten on with the Public Enemy collaboration of Bring The Noise, I will say that that song goes over great live, especially during the Bush years. Probably my favorite live song of theirs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
My mention of Imagine Dragons was in reference to the song "Believer", I think.  The verses have that rap-y cadence (god, I sound so old and unhip) that I don't like.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »
I was more refering to Bring The Noise, the Anthrax/Public Enemy collaboration. I'm The Man was never meant to be taken seriously, it's kinda funny the first time you hear it and gets more annoying with each repeated listening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »
I'm pretty much right with you on this (although, if I've ever heard a Limp Bizkit song, I wouldn't know it, and the only Imagine Dragons song I know for sure I've heard wouldn't be described as "rap-rock").

If you don't know that song you must have been on mars in the early 2000's  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kwyjibo

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
I'm pretty much right with you on this (although, if I've ever heard a Limp Bizkit song, I wouldn't know it, and the only Imagine Dragons song I know for sure I've heard wouldn't be described as "rap-rock").

If you don't know that song you must have been on mars in the early 2000's  :lol

Nope.  Just didn't listen to or watch any media outlet that would have stooped to playing something that awful (I could only make it about 70 seconds into the video, which means about 40 seconds into the actual song).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
I don't think I have ever heard any of their songs either.  Not sure why anyone would think that I would have had to. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2019, 06:27:39 PM »
It's ok.  You're not missing out on anything, but for any wrestling fan in the Attitude Era (especially around 2000-2001), there's no way you do not know Limp Bizkit.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2019, 06:34:43 PM »
It's ok.  You're not missing out on anything, but for any wrestling fan in the Attitude Era (especially around 2000-2001), there's no way you do not know Limp Bizkit.

Damn I was going to pop in and say I was such an Undertaker mark I loved that song based on its association with him alone.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2019, 08:40:20 AM »

I don't think I have ever heard any of their songs either.  Not sure why anyone would think that I would have had to.

Because they were everywhere in the late 90s / early 2000s.  Rock Radio, MTV, they even did a song for Mission Impossible 2.  And then the news stories about Woodstock '99.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »

Because they were everywhere in the late 90s / early 2000s.  Rock Radio, MTV, they even did a song for Mission Impossible 2.  And then the news stories about Woodstock '99.

Everywhere except for the places I was.  I knew who they were (much in the same way I know who Justin Bieber is but don't know any of his songs), but (1) the "rock radio" station I listed to around the turn of the century didn't play stuff like that; (2) I'm pretty sure almost no one over the age of 30 has watched MTV since the mid- to late 90s (the last thing I recall watching on MTV was the Real World Boston, which aired in 1997 (the year I turned 30), and that was only because my wife had moved to SoCal from Boston a few years earlier); and (3) while I saw MI2, I thought it sucked and don't think I've ever seen it since then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
^Most of that.  Except that I don't recall feeling that MI2 sucked.  But I also don't remember most of it either, so it didn't make an impression.  And for a song in a movie to make an impression, the short snippet that actually gets played generally has to be REALLY incredible or REALLY bad to make an impression if it isn't a band I am already familiar enough with for it to register.

So, yeah, "Everywhere except the places I was" is pretty accurate.  I repeat:  Not sure why anyone would think that I would have had to have heard their songs.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »
TBH, the only song I remember from ANY MI movie is the theme by Schifrin, as covered by U2.

I also just learned that the main 5/4 rhythm from this song is based on the Morse code for "M" and "I".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
TBH, the only song I remember from ANY MI movie is the theme by Schifrin, as covered by U2.

Which, IMO, was pretty cool.

I also just learned that the main 5/4 rhythm from this song is based on the Morse code for "M" and "I".

Huh, interesting.  I didn't know that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
I am sure I'd know a Limp Bitzkit song or two if I heard it, but if asked to name one by title at gun point this instant, they'd be tagging my toe by morning.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »

Which, IMO, was pretty cool.

Huh, interesting.  I didn't know that.
as with YYZ. 5/4 time and morse codes seem to be a thing :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
Eat my ass and balls.