Author Topic: The "I can't believe this 'hit" was so popular" Song of the Day thread  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The "I can't believe this 'hit" was so popular" Song of the Day thread
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »
Holy Shit! :eek

Furry Happy Monsters prompted me to watch (but not listen to) Shiny Happy People for comparison, and somehow it has escaped me until now what a babe Kate Pierson is.  Maybe because I always found the B-52s to be either silly or annoying (or both) and thus didn't pay much attention to them.  But... damn!

This thread has already been a rather eye-opening experience thus far.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »
"Losing My Religion" has befuddled me as to how it became a popular hit song for as long as I can remember. 

I have nothing against the song itself, it just seems like an odd choice to be released as a single.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »
This song shouldn't be in this thread.  R.E.M. was stretching out musically here.  Bandmates were playing different instruments than their normal instruments.   Trying to change sonically and a breath of fresh air in the early 90's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »
I don't even like REM (respect them though) and I love Losing My Religion.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
"Losing My Religion" has befuddled me as to how it became a popular hit song for as long as I can remember. 

I have nothing against the song itself, it just seems like an odd choice to be released as a single.

Hmmm, it's almost like you can't...wait for it...believe it was a hit! :P

Starting off this thread with some heavy early 90s flavor.  I never have been an REM fan.  This song is ok.  I certainly don't find it distasteful.  It's catchy enough.  But it's nothing special IMO.  For my money, the best thing REM ever did was "Furry Happy Monsters" on Sesame Street.  For whatever reason, that song kept my son's attention like nothing else when he was 1-3 years old.

Yep, the Furry Happy Monsters thing they did on Sesame Street is awesome.  You could tell they had a blast doing it (except for maybe Peter Buck, who was supposedly the one guy in the band who hated Shiny Happy People :lol).

Furry Happy Monsters prompted me to watch (but not listen to) Shiny Happy People for comparison, and somehow it has escaped me until now what a babe Kate Pierson is.  Maybe because I always found the B-52s to be either silly or annoying (or both) and thus didn't pay much attention to them.  But... damn!

:tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »
I'm with King and TAC.  If you want to put a REM song here, "Man On The Moon".   I thought the whole Andy Kaufman thing was blown WAY out of proportion. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
I'm with King and TAC.  If you want to put a REM song here, "Man On The Moon".   I thought the whole Andy Kaufman thing was blown WAY out of proportion.

From their most adventurous album. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
Not particularly surprised on this one.

Can we start a thread called 'I can't believe people found this "comedian" so funny' and lead off with Andy Kaufman?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »

While I agree about Kaufman, I think the song would have been popular anyway without that angle.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 08:46:32 PM »
Yeah, that wasn't a bad song either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 08:49:16 PM »
As a relatively new R.E.M fan (after 30+ years of only liking a handful of songs or so), I can say that Automatic for the People is pretty damn fantastic from start to finish.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2019, 11:59:06 PM »
Okay, someone has to be the one, so it seems it is me:

Losing My Religion is the most bland and boring song ever to have been recorded. Nothing, and I repeat: NOTHING in that song is enjoyable. It's good that it has no chorus because I'm sure it would have been even more boring and bland than the rest. I'd rather listen to Linda Perry in duet with a cat that is being strangled for a whole day than listen to Losing My Religion again.

So yeah, I can't believe this hit was so popular.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 02:00:13 AM »

I went to see the B-52s earlier this year, they put on a great show, and they've got more great songs than you'd think. Kate is 71 now, and she's absolutely still got it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 02:01:16 AM »
I actually used to think R.E.M were quite boring and bland and in a group of rock bands there was no edge to their sound, it was just kinda calm and boring. But my dad was a fan so I've been exposed to their music a bit and it's an interesting case of how your outlook on things can change as you grow older. I recently said "screw it" and acquired all their studio albums and my plan is to go through them one by one because I really like the hits and I want to get more into detail. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 04:06:39 AM »
Hmmm....I'm not an REM fan but Losing My Religion is a well written, unique and very creative song.  Wonderful songwriting and just a great song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2019, 04:34:02 AM »
I know next to nothing about REM, but I can't find anything that bad about Losing My Religion. I'm sure there are better REM songs just like there are better Metallica songs than Nothing Else Matters and better Maiden songs than Fear of the Dark (or better Cranberries songs than Zombie), but leaving aside the overplaying factor, I don't think it's such a shame that Losing My Religion is so famous.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2019, 04:43:22 AM »
Never heard of the song by 4 Non Blondes, though it does sound familiar.  But I enjoy it? I also enjoy Losing my Religion.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »
I know next to nothing about REM, but I can't find anything that bad about Losing My Religion. I'm sure there are better REM songs just like there are better Metallica songs than Nothing Else Matters and better Maiden songs than Fear of the Dark (or better Cranberries songs than Zombie), but leaving aside the overplaying factor, I don't think it's such a shame that Losing My Religion is so famous.

IMO it's not that Losing My Religion is bad, it's just so freaking bland. I don't get what stands out about it so much. The vocals alone could put me to sleep!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »
I actually used to think R.E.M were quite boring and bland and in a group of rock bands there was no edge to their sound, it was just kinda calm and boring. But my dad was a fan so I've been exposed to their music a bit and it's an interesting case of how your outlook on things can change as you grow older. I recently said "screw it" and acquired all their studio albums and my plan is to go through them one by one because I really like the hits and I want to get more into detail.

This sounds a lot like me!  My younger brother, who has been telling me for decades how good R.E.M. is, recently said my sudden fandom is my biggest 180 ever.   :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2019, 08:14:16 AM »

This is the way to do it.  I'm actually a HUGE REM fan, and for me, with only a few exceptions, the more popular a song of theirs is the less I like it (Losing My Religion is an exception, as is Radio Free Europe).   Theirs is a catalogue that is best understood as a catalogue.  They're a lot like Rush in that regard; there are patterns to their records, there are leaps and starts in their catalogue, there are albums that have songs that are throwbacks, and songs that are looks ahead...

I love the "Out Of Time" album, but the key songs are the ones that didn't really get airplay:  "Near Wild Heaven" (which was a single), and what's called the "Memory Side" (side B of the record, for you fogies), with "Belong", "Half a World Away", "Texarkana", "Country Feedback" and "Me in Honey".

A lot of their records - Monster is the best example - are of a kind, meaning they are musically themed.  Not that they aren't varied, but you're not going to get a Queen album, which veers from a 50's rocker to a 20's pastiche, to a 70's prog opus, to a dance hall ditty, etc. etc. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »
I'm not surprised about Losing My Religion being a big hit. There are many REM songs I would take over that one, but it's a pretty solid tune to be radio-friendly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2019, 08:31:28 AM »
  I'm actually a HUGE REM fan, and for me, with only a few exceptions, the more popular a song of theirs is the less I like it (Losing My Religion is an exception, as is Radio Free Europe).   Theirs is a catalogue that is best understood as a catalogue.  They're a lot like Rush in that regard; there are patterns to their records, there are leaps and starts in their catalogue, there are albums that have songs that are throwbacks, and songs that are looks ahead...

I love the "Out Of Time" album, but the key songs are the ones that didn't really get airplay:  "Near Wild Heaven" (which was a single), and what's called the "Memory Side" (side B of the record, for you fogies), with "Belong", "Half a World Away", "Texarkana", "Country Feedback" and "Me in Honey".

A lot of their records - Monster is the best example - are of a kind, meaning they are musically themed.  Not that they aren't varied, but you're not going to get a Queen album, which veers from a 50's rocker to a 20's pastiche, to a 70's prog opus, to a dance hall ditty, etc. etc.

I'm with ya regarding their hits, more specifically the 80's hits.  The One I Love, Superman, Orange Crush and It's the End of the World... are all solid tunes, but I have little interest in hearing them outside of full listens of the albums each comes from.  In fact, I think my lack of love for most of their hits is why I never bothered digging deep with them until recently.  On the flip side, I have always liked Stand and Shiny Happy People a lot, as both are lots of fun, and What's the Frequency, Kenneth? is a tune I've always liked a lot.  Bang and Blame is one I liked from the start as well. Too bad I am finding most of the rest of Monster to be pretty average.

And I with ya on Out of Mind as well.  The deep cuts on that record are really, really good.  Texarkana sounds like it was made for listening to when cruising on the highway on a sunny day. :hat

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
I also think What's Up is a pretty lame song.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »

Furry Happy Monsters saved me from insanity when we needed a break from my kid (he screamed a lot).  I don't think I'd ever seen the Shiny Happy People video before today.  I generally think Kate's look is a bit TOO whatever it is, but yeah, she looked really good in it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »
I also think What's Up is a pretty lame song.
formulaic I guess.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
Today's Song of the Day is...

Metallica - One

The fact that this was such a popular song among metal fans is no surprise whatsoever, but for those of us who were there at the time, a thrash song that was this heavy becoming a mainstream hit was pretty shocking.  I remember when the video started getting regular rotation on MTV and it catching on like wildfire.  I never really like much metal until the early 90's - and am still, to this day, much more of a rock guy than a metal one - so it didn't a whole lot for me initially, but I was seemingly in the minority.  To younger peeps for whom metal has always been kind of a mainstream, One being as popular as it is probably seems normal, but in 1988/1989 it was pretty remarkable.

Offline DTA

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
The video was unreal. Super serious and haunting and I'm guessing it was unlike anything else on MTV at that time. I was only a kid when the song came out so I wasn't part of any music scene, but I'm guessing a lot of the "metal" that was popular in 88/89 was hair/glam metal type shit and Metallica probably seemed like the only authentic thing around for people who thought hair metal was stupid. Plus it's just an awesome song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
Losing My Religion not being a good song is a genuine hot take tbh  :lol
like i don't think it's amazing but it's always been mildly enjoyable and i've genuinely never seen anybody dislike it before

One is good also. One of the few Metallica songs I actively like honestly. But I think it's less of a discussion of "wow this is bad" and more "how did this get popular" in this case yeah

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »

Metallica - One

I think this song fits the thread really well.  The first half of the song isn't super METAL!!!! except for the lyrics, but the second half is very thrashy and fast, and I think it's more than a little surprising that a song with that sort of section and lyrics about a solider in that condition begging to die became popular at the very end of the 80s.  A song like Fade to Black had more potential to be a "hit," but who knows?  My view of this song is that there are many other Metallica songs that are better at the things this song does well.

My friend and I watched Johnny Got His Gun, and I about wanted to kill myself.  I just read that Metallica ended up buying the rights to the movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2019, 02:45:55 AM »
One is great but I never thought it was one of their best. I think my hot take would be it's not in my top3 songs from AJFA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2019, 10:43:40 PM »

Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do?

This one is more for the older, classic rock crowd.  This has to be one of the unlikeliest hits of the 70's, given that it was the 14-minute live version that became a hit and put Frampton on the map as an artist of note.  Granted, I believe the live version that made the charts was edited down to around 6 minutes or so, but the 14-minute version became a rock radio staple and apparently is still played in full on many classic rock stations today.  Really good song, one that put the talk box in the mainstream.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2019, 10:51:36 PM »
this song is terrifying as hell to full combo in guitar hero because the hardest parts are smack in the middle and right at the end

and it's 14 minutes

that's my experience with this song. they put it in guitar hero

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »
The only thing I know about this song was this was the song featured on The Simpsons and when Frampton was trying to do his inflated pig trick at the end, he couldn't do it because Homer ruined it at a previous Hullabalooza show and this was the ending quote that he said: "Homer Simpson ruined my pig, Cypress Hill stole my orchestra, and Sonic Youth is in my cooler."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
Is there another classic rock song where the live version is the default version such that the studio version has become an inconsequential afterthought? Amazing song that I loved from the first listen and will never change the channel if I hear it come on rotation.

I cannot comment on it in the context of this thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2019, 03:42:02 AM »
Is there another classic rock song where the live version is the default version such that the studio version has become an inconsequential afterthought? Amazing song that I loved from the first listen and will never change the channel if I hear it come on rotation.

I cannot comment on it in the context of this thread.
Bad by U2 is, yes.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"